PDA

View Full Version : >> The UEFA Champions League 2005-2006 thread..

black orb
12-07-2005, 10:13 PM
>>> So who is your favorite for winning this?

Mine is FC Barcelona..

Aphelion
12-07-2005, 10:18 PM
I guess I can say FC Barcelona, too.

Resha
12-07-2005, 10:42 PM
I wish Arsenal would win...finally. xD I dunno, they're doing really well at this point top of the group and stuff; but I guess one could argue they're in a relatively easy group, so they really have to KEEP doing well. o_O

Blitz Ace
12-07-2005, 11:11 PM
Barcelona are good, and they will prob go far... everyone says chelsea v. barcelona final, but id love to see Benfica or Bremen in the final... that would be cool. I dont think liverpool will win it again...

Psydekick
12-22-2005, 09:27 AM
Don't underestimate Lyon's chances!

dragoonknight_kain
12-23-2005, 03:22 AM
Barcelona, probably. Liverpool won't win again. And, by the way, my team, São Paulo, defeated Liverpool on the team's world championship!! Oh, that was good.:D

Psychotic
12-23-2005, 03:26 AM
Barcelona, probably. Liverpool won't win again. And, by the way, my team, São Paulo, defeated Liverpool on the team's world championship!! Oh, that was good.:DAs a Liverpool fan, you didn't deserve to win that at all. We totally dominated you and had a good goal disallowed. (the other two goal disallowals were fine though, but Sinama-Pongolle's goal was clearly fine) 0 shots on our goal in the second half tells its own story, I think. We were robbed.

Chelsea will win it, but I expect Lyon to provide a challenge, and don't think Liverpool will give up their title without a fight.

dragoonknight_kain
12-23-2005, 03:51 AM
As a Liverpool fan, you didn't deserve to win that at all. We totally dominated you and had a good goal disallowed. (the other two goal disallowals were fine though, but Sinama-Pongolle's goal was clearly fine) 0 shots on our goal in the second half tells its own story, I think. We were robbed.

Chelsea will win it, but I expect Lyon to provide a challenge, and don't think Liverpool will give up their title without a fight.

What are you talking about??? I don't know who Sinama is, but I think it is the last goal you talking about. It was offside(is this the word?). I can't remember if it was him, Sinama, or who passed the ball to him, but it was offside, just look at the images.

As for "dominating" my team, well, you were losing, we didn't need to score anymore, so it was obvious that you'd "dominate" us. And come off it, 17 corners , and those guys didn't score, you're being a lot taller than us....

And you're forgetring that Morientes should have been expelled, and we had a penalty that wasn't "given" (I don't know the word...again:p).

One last thing, soccer is about being effective. Liverpool couldn't score having 17 corners, and many famous and arrogant players( Gerrard said, before the game, that they were invincible). We had two or three chances, scored once. This is what matters.

Psychotic
12-23-2005, 03:57 AM
What are you talking about??? I don't know who Sinama is, but I think it is the last goal you talking about. It was offside(is this the word?). I can't remember if it was him, Sinama, or who passed the ball to him, but it was offside, just look at the images.

As for "dominating" my team, well, you were losing, we didn't need to score anymore, so it was obvious that you'd "dominate" us. And come off it, 17 corners , and those guys didn't score, you're being a lot taller than us....

And you're forgetring that Morientes should have been expelled, and we had a penalty that wasn't "given" (I don't know the word...again:p).

One last thing, soccer is about being effective. Liverpool couldn't score having 17 corners, and many famous and arrogant players( Gerrard said, before the game, that they were invincible). We had two or three chances, scored once. This is what matters.
Yes, Sinama is the guy who scored the last disallowed goal. He was number 11, was a substitute and had dreadlocks, if that helps you remember him. No, nobody was offside with the last goal. Not a single person. The images clearly showed that.

True, but it makes the game very boring. :p

Why should Morientes have been sent off? I don't remember him doing anything wrong. And hey, we should've been awarded a penalty for the foul on Harry Kewell, so I guess that makes us even.

Gerrard has never said that we are invincible, his actual words were "This is the best Liverpool team I have played in." which makes sense, seeing as this is the only Liverpool team he's played in that has won the Champion's League. He's not an arrogant player, he's very down to earth.

I will say this about your team though, your goalkeeper is incredible. :eek: And Amoruso (sp?) is pretty good too.

dragoonknight_kain
12-23-2005, 04:12 AM
Well, what I saw in Sinama's goal as that he, or someone else was offside. By inches, but still offside.

Morientes, how can I say.... stuck his head on Lugano's head (hehehe, my English is crap). It was on the first half. About the penalty on Kewell, I think you're talking when Lugano took the ball from him, but I can't say, since I didn't see a close-up. But anyway, even if it was penalty, we'd be even, as you said.

Here in Brazil what we've heard was that Gerrad said they were invincible, but it can be crap.

And, yes, Rogerio Ceni, the goalkeeper. is awesome!! Pity he didn't score a goal.:( (I think he's scored 56 goals to this date, being 40 on fouls and 16 on penaltys). And it's Amoroso :D.

Now, about Liverpool, I couldn't understand why Cicé and Riise didn't play. They're awesome!

Psychotic
12-23-2005, 04:19 AM
I think Luis Garcia was offside for that goal, but the referee said later he ruled that Sinama was offside, when he wasn't.

I didn't see that Morientes thing so I can't judge on that.

Ceni was definitely the best player in the game, no doubts there.

I was very surprised that neither of those two played, but we have a lot of games to play and so maybe the manager was resting them.

Well, congratulations all the same, I am just bitter and I admit to that. :p But we've taken this off-topic as this thread is supposed to be about the Champion's League, so here are my predictions for the round of 16 games:

(winners in bold)
Bayern Munich - AC Milan
Benfica - Liverpool
Real Madrid - Arsenal
PSV - Lyon
Chelsea - Barcelona
Rangers - Villarreal
Bremen - Juventus
Ajax - Internazionale

dragoonknight_kain
12-23-2005, 04:39 AM
Then the referee screwd up, but in the end he didn't:p. And if Liverpool rested players on a game like that... insane:D.

Going back to the thread, I can't see a team stop Barcelona's front players, Ronaldinho, Eto'o and Messi, they are all superb. But I forgot about Juventus. Both of them have a very similar campaing on theirs national championship(both are leaders, way ahead of the second place), so I guess one of them will be the champion, but Chelsea is also a powerful team, so it can win too.

So these are my bets: Barcelona, Juventus or Chelsea

Endless
12-23-2005, 08:10 AM
Don't underestimate Lyon's chances!

Quoted for truth.

Psydekick
12-23-2005, 04:24 PM
Arsenal maybe?

black orb
02-21-2006, 08:25 PM
>>> Yes, this isnt over yet, and the matches has been started again..
Right now its Arsenal vs Madrid, they still 0-0..

1-0, goal by Thierry Henry..

Cz
02-21-2006, 10:02 PM
I'd go I'm realistic about Arsenal's chances, and as fantastic as a CL victory would be, the odds on it happening aren't exactly great. Aside from that, an English victory for anyone but the Russian Mafia would be the next-best scenario, but to be honest, Barcelona seem the most likely winners. Still, the winners don't always have the best team, so there's hope for anyone.

Bart's Friend Milhouse
02-21-2006, 10:05 PM
:D :D :D :D :D 1-0!

Psychotic
02-21-2006, 10:06 PM
Still, the winners don't always have the best team, so there's hope for anyone.Absolutely. Who would've predicted a Monaco - Porto final, or Liverpool winning it last year?

As far as tonight's match went, it's disappointing that we - Liverpool, that is - conceded a late goal from a set-piece (something that's become far-too familiar recently) but it's a sign of how fatigued the players are coming that they lose concentration at the death. Still, I've seen us overturn worse defecits at Anfield, and if the crowd get behind the team (and they usually do at Anfield European ties) then anything can happen.

Bart's Friend Milhouse
02-21-2006, 10:26 PM
As far as tonight's match went, it's disappointing that we - Liverpool, that is - conceded a late goal from a set-piece (something that's become far-too familiar recently) but it's a sign of how fatigued the players are coming that they lose concentration at the death. Still, I've seen us overturn worse defecits at Anfield, and if the crowd get behind the team (and they usually do at Anfield European ties) then anything can happen.

Oh yeah!
how does it feel to be on the receiving end of a last-ten-minute goal this time round?:p

Psychotic
02-21-2006, 11:36 PM
Maybe you should've asked me after we played Man Utd in the league. ;)

I don't see what you're complaining about, seeing as you were bloody lucky to only lose 1-0 to us. :p

Bart's Friend Milhouse
02-21-2006, 11:40 PM
and we'll be waiting to give your sorry backsides a bit of a whooping in March. Our role has only just started you see

Psychotic
02-21-2006, 11:47 PM
Of course you will. :)

black orb
02-22-2006, 07:51 PM
>>> Chelsea vs Barcelona just started..:excited:

I hope Barca wins, this is payback time!..

Edit.
Barcelona wins 2-1!! This was one hell of a match..

Bart's Friend Milhouse
02-22-2006, 09:47 PM
never a sending off in my opinion
Where was Lampard, Makelele, Crespo?
Mourinho probably gonna have a moan...

black orb
02-22-2006, 09:53 PM
>>> Messi was incredible in this match, I knew he was good but not this much, I mean how old is he 19?.. :eek:

Bart's Friend Milhouse
02-22-2006, 10:02 PM
Messi didn't know whether to play dead or alive after Del Horno's tackle (which was only a yellow card offense at most). Btw was he the guy who sent that curling shot well out of Cech's reach and off the bar?

Aphelion
02-22-2006, 10:15 PM
Messi didn't know whether to play dead or alive after Del Horno's tackle (which was only a yellow card offense at most). Btw was he the guy who sent that curling shot well out of Cech's reach and off the bar?
You've got to be kidding me. A yellow card offense at most? Del Horno ignored the ball and went straight to hit Messi! That alone should be enough for a red card and a court ban.

Bart's Friend Milhouse
02-22-2006, 10:21 PM
Del Horno didn't take his legs from behind, he didn't kick him, it wasn't in two-footed, he didn't seem to inflict as much pain as Messi was claiming, and it even seemed as if he was trying to break his run before they collided, yes it was a poor challenge but I would have only given a yellow (or was it red because he pretended he was hurt aswell?)
The studs tackle before that was definetly a red in my book

Psychotic
02-22-2006, 10:33 PM
Del Horno's sending off was not a red. Messi was play acting without a shadow of a doubt, although other than that, he was absolutely incredible, especially for someone of such a young age. For Chelski, John Terry was outstanding, other than his own goal.

Well done, Barca! The second leg should be great to watch, and I'm cheering for Barca, naturally. ;)

Cz
02-23-2006, 06:08 PM
Jose Mourinho needs to learn to lose. Sure, Del Horno's sending off was unfair, but making all that fuss about it afterwards earns him absolutely no sympathy...not that he was going to get it anyway. :D

Psychotic
02-23-2006, 07:38 PM
He still goes on about Luis Garcia's goal from last year's CL whenever we play them.

Dear Jose,

The referee himself admitted that if the goal had not been given, he would have to send off Cech and give a penalty for his foul on Baros (although he played advantage because he thought there'd be a goal-scoring opportunity, which there was), and at the time, would you have taken that over a goal? No, I didn't think so.

With love,
Psychotic.

black orb
03-07-2006, 07:48 PM
>>> o boy, its Barcelona vs Chelsea again!.. :excited:

Lol, Im having a blast looking Mourinho moaning and complaining at the bench..

Psychotic
03-07-2006, 09:29 PM
This has been pretty underwhelming for the supposed two best teams in Europe. Blackburn v Spurs at the weekend was much more exciting.

I want Barca to win, but I'd like Chelsea to score twice to send this into extra time. The more entertainment the better.

Jess
03-07-2006, 09:35 PM
I also want Barcelona to win. I'm suprised that 88 minutes in only one goal has been scored. Both teams haven't played their best.

Im having a blast looking Mourinho moaning and complaining at the bench..
That is clearly the real reason I chose to watch this match. :grinpink:

EDIT: There is no chance Chelsea will get 2 goals in the 2 minutes extra time. Yay for Barcelona!

Psychotic
03-07-2006, 09:38 PM
Penalty! Ooh.

1-1. The two supposed best players in Europe and the world have both scored in this match.

I doubt Chelski can get another one. Oh, they haven't.

Barcelona are looking good for the CL victory now that the best English team and, as far as I know, the best Italian team (Juventus) are out.

black orb
03-07-2006, 09:40 PM
>>> Bye bye Chelsea..

Jess
03-07-2006, 09:40 PM
One penalty doesn't get two goals though! :grinpink:

Ha!

Psychotic
03-07-2006, 09:45 PM
1-1 was a fair result in that game, just like 2-1 to Barcelona was fair for the first game.

black orb
03-07-2006, 09:45 PM
>>> It seems Glasgow didnt make it either, im surprised Villarreal came this far.. good for them.

Bart's Friend Milhouse
03-07-2006, 09:46 PM
juve are through methinks

Psychotic
03-07-2006, 09:57 PM
Ah, so they are. Didn't know Emerson had scored.

I'm not surprised Villarreal beat Rangers.

black orb
03-08-2006, 09:09 PM
>>> Im watching AC Milan vs Bayern Munich.. Is just me or Oliver Kahn isnt that good how he was years ago, Milan already has scored 4 goals..
I dont know whats going on between Arsenal and Madrid..

Psychotic
03-08-2006, 09:42 PM
Arsenal are through, and now with my beloved Liverpool out, I hope they go on to win it.

Well done Benfica. I think 2-0 was a harsh result but that's football, and good look to them in the Quarter Finals. And hey, at least we went further than Man. Utd did, and as far as Chelski did! :p

Lyon absolutely stuffed PSV. I'd love to see them play Barca. What a match that'd be.

Bart's Friend Milhouse
03-08-2006, 09:48 PM
First of all I know I'm stating the obvious but Thierry Henry is just so amazing! I've seen the guy wind up so many defenders and I've seen something that makes his absolutely complete he can tackle too.

I cannot believe Benfica have beaten Liverpool. I am seriously considering denoting these guys as the underdogs.

black orb
03-09-2006, 05:27 AM
>>> This sucks, Messi wont be able to play till the world cup..

Cz
03-09-2006, 05:36 PM
Hell yes. :cool:

That was the most entertaining 0-0 draw I've ever seen. Even from Row Y in the North Bank the atmosphere was incredible, especially when we actually started to realise that we were actually going to make a fight of it rather than sitting on our lead. A goal would've been nice, but seeing Roberto Carlos hop around like a frog was a fair enough substitute. :p

Liverpool's defeat came as quite a shock, but quite frankly I didn't fancy playing them in the later rounds anyway. It would've been nice to see them outdo Chelsea again, though.

Bart's Friend Milhouse
03-09-2006, 06:01 PM
Raul Bravo trying to pick up one of the Arsenal players after he fouled him. 10/10 for humour too!

dragoonknight_kain
03-12-2006, 12:21 AM
1-1 was a fair result in that game, just like 2-1 to Barcelona was fair for the first game.
No, it wasn't. There was two penalties for Barcelona in the first match, and in the second one Terry was offside when he "suffered" the penalty. The fair result would be 4-1 and 1-0 (at least).

And Real Madrid is such a bad team. It's laughable. Zidane should retire, Beckham can't pass one single ball, Ronaldo needs a diet, and Lopez Caro (or something like that) isn't a good coach. Robinho and Cicinho on the bench (and Cassano as well), when Madrid needed to score...

Psychotic
03-28-2006, 07:42 PM
Whoa, Bumpy McBump. Arsenal 1-0 up against Juve at half time.
No, it wasn't. There was two penalties for Barcelona in the first match, and in the second one Terry was offside when he "suffered" the penalty. The fair result would be 4-1 and 1-0 (at least).I'm not talking about incidents. I'm talking about the overall balance of play. Barca played better than Chelsea in London, and they both played poorly by their own standards in the Nou Camp.
Beckham can't pass one single ballI really don't like Beckham, and as an England fan I'd like to see him dropped in favour of Michael Carrick and see Steven Gerrard out on the right, but that's just plain wrong. The only thing he can do right is make superb passes. (he's overrated at free kicks. Juninho of Lyon is much better)

EDIT: Whoa this commentator in Arsenal v Juve is so biased. "OH MY GOD WHAT A TACKLE FROM TOURE!!!!! FABREGAS IS THE BEST PLAYER EVER!!!!!!" casually ignoring some of their woeful passing. :laugh: Not saying their passing in general has been woeful, but eh, you get what I mean.

Whoa, they scored as I was typing this. 2-0. That's a good lead for going into the Delle Alpi. If they do what Liverpool did there in this round last time, just chase them down and press them, not allowing them room to play, (it's a shame they don't have Xabi Alonso but I guess Fabregas will do :p) then they're through. No Camoranesi and no Vieira. This is looking good for the Gunners.

EDIT2: Camoranesi and Zebina sent off. Arsenal have Juve on the ropes. They HAVE to push for a third. If they get it, they're as good as through.

EDIT3: Match over. A very well-deserved win for the Gunners. I have to wonder if they'll regret not getting a third though.

Endless
03-28-2006, 08:31 PM
Juninho of Lyon is much better

His absence makes me nervous about the 1/4 final against AC Milan.

Old Manus
03-28-2006, 08:50 PM
Arsenal played like the old team today

Endless
03-29-2006, 08:12 PM
Lyon - Milan : 0 - 0 so far (70 mins in the game). Go Lyon!

Edit: 0 - 0, but damn, Tiago will bo out next match :/

black orb
04-04-2006, 09:38 PM
>>> Milan vs Lyon: 3-1

Milan go to the semifinals..

Endless
04-04-2006, 10:00 PM

*hate*

Cz
04-04-2006, 10:14 PM
Oh, looks like I haven't posted here yet...

Yay and so forth.

Psychotic
04-04-2006, 10:18 PM
24 hours early there, Cz.

Unlucky Lyon, I'd much rather see them progress than AC Milan. As for Villarreal v Inter, I'm indifferent on both teams, but I suppose Villarreal do have that underdog element.

Cz
04-04-2006, 10:29 PM
24 hours early there, Cz.I bloody well hope so.

I'd have loved for Lyon to get through, because Sylvain Wiltord is a lovely boy, and AC are big meanies who are more than capable of kicking our arse later on. The semi shouldn't be too much trouble if we keep up our current form, but a final against AC or Barca? :(

black orb
04-05-2006, 06:58 PM
>>> I cant believe Villarreal make it to the semifinals, their match vs Inter was great too..

My dream final would be two Spanish teams Barca vs Villarreal, that would be awesome..

Russielloyd
04-05-2006, 07:13 PM

Greatness!

Milan against Arsenal in the final and Milan to win for other reasons.

Endless
04-05-2006, 09:25 PM

Greatness!

Milan against Arsenal in the final and Milan to win for other reasons.

*HATE*

Psychotic
04-05-2006, 10:34 PM
Milan v Barca and Villarreal v Arsenal. Two of the favourites playing, and two of the underdogs are playing. Should be an interesting final.

Russielloyd
04-06-2006, 01:52 AM
You could say...

We larve it, larve it,
Larve it, larve it, larve it.
Larve it, larve it,
Larve it, larve it, larve it!

Cz
04-06-2006, 12:21 PM
There's no shame in losing to Barca or Milan, but to go out against Villareal now would be a real shame. But with the team as confident as they are right now, I can't really see that happening...barring a disastrous, morale-shattering defeat at Manchester United of course. :(

black orb
04-19-2006, 05:30 AM
>>> I hope Villarreal scores one or two goals tomorrow..
and well done Barcelona..:)

Angel Heart
04-19-2006, 02:32 PM
GOOD LUCK ARSENAL TONIGHT. :p I'm a Man U fan but i hope the gunners win the trophy, it's good for the premiership. :)

Cz
04-19-2006, 06:35 PM
Is it possible to be incredibly confident and absolutely terrified at the same time? :(

Psychotic
04-19-2006, 09:00 PM
Ah just consider yourselves lucky you didn't get lumbered with Chelski in the semi-final.

I hope Fabregas has a terrible game so the media shut up about him, and that Senderos decides he is no longer a centre back but a playmaker, and tears Villarreal apart. :D

1-0 currently to the Gunners. Imagine if them and Middlesbrough win their respective European trophies. The Super Cup final would amuse me.

black orb
04-19-2006, 09:53 PM
>>> Just one goal.. seems like Villarreal still have a chance..

Cz
04-19-2006, 10:33 PM
A fair result in the end. Awful officiating hurt both sides, but based on the performnces 1-0 seems justified. Supposedly, the pundits were surprised by Villarreal's performance, which is bloody stupid considering that the entire country's known how good they are for months now.

Still, they put up a good fight. Still confident (yet terrified) that we can win this thing though, considering our defensive record, and their record of drawing their way through rounds.

gokufusionss1
04-20-2006, 07:58 PM
Arsenal have been playing some odd oponents recently in their ride to the top, They played no one of note and skill in the group stages then played the worst real madrid side in fifteen years which lacks all balance and pace and the most non descript performance from Juventus i could of imagined, At last villareal give them an actualy game involving closing down and the odd tackle. all in all it was an even affair, which Arsenal didn't deserve to lose or win good thing that the spanish defence switched off for that 5 second period.

Come on Barca!

Bart's Friend Milhouse
04-22-2006, 03:20 PM
err what would happen if English teams won CL, UEFA, World Cup for the next ten years. Will that mean the whole top half of the Premier League gets to play in Europe?

Russielloyd
04-22-2006, 05:13 PM
err what would happen if English teams won CL, UEFA, World Cup for the next ten years. Will that mean the whole top half of the Premier League gets to play in Europe?

no

Psychotic
04-22-2006, 08:24 PM
Actually it might. UEFA gives out European places based on the strength of the league, which in term is based on how well that country's teams do in European ompetition. This is why England, Spain and Italy have 4 Champions League places, whereas the likes of Germany and France have 3, and the likes of Holland (Or do they have 3? PSV's semi-final last year ought to have boosted them) and Turkey are given 2.

If the Champions League semi finals consisted solely of English teams for the next ten years, and the same for the UEFA Cup, then England definitely would deserve more European places. Although I think there might be a cap on the amount of European places allocated.

Russielloyd
04-23-2006, 11:06 PM
England have a maximun of 8 teams allowed in European competition now. Maybe there could be an extra place the for Champions League, but for 10 teams or more though, extra places around all the major leagues would have to be added to the European tournament, making the CL and UEFA cup a bigger tournament. The Premier League is already Congested as it is.

Also, i thought i'd do this to show how English European places are sorted.

1st & 2nd place in the league, Qualify for Champions League.

3rd & 4th place in the league, Qualify for Champions League 3rd Qualifying Round.

5th Oualify for UEFA Cup.

League Cup Winners Qualify for UEFA Cup.
(Though if the League Cup winners finish in the top 5 in the league, then the League Cup UEFA place will go to 6th place in the league.)

F.A Cup Winners Qualify for UEFA Cup.
(Though if the FA Cup winners finishes in the top 5 in the league, then the FA Cup UEFA place goes to the runners-up of the FA Cup Final. Though in the case of being that both teams in the FA Cup Final have finished in the top 5 in the league, then the FA Cup UEFA place will go to 7th place in the league.)

Intertoto Place.
(The highest placed team to have finished outside of the European places, which have applied for the Intertoto Cup, will play a two legged match to try and make the Qualifying rounds of the UEFA Cup.)

Confusing? Some people still don't get how the UEFA places work and these are people who think they know eveything about football. Unlike me i know my football! :D

Cz
04-25-2006, 08:39 PM
0-0 at half time, and it's been disappointing so far. Rather than aiming to put the game beyond Villarreal, it looks as though we're going to hold on for the one goal victory. The likes of Hleb and Fabregas have been disappointing, and the defence haven't been too great either. This isn't fun to watch. :(

Psychotic
04-25-2006, 08:45 PM
Eh, did you really expect anything different? Arsene can say "Let's get a goal." all he wants, but Villarreal aren't going to roll over at home in a Champions League semi-final. (cue second half collapse and me looking stupid)

GO VILLARSENAL! Now no-one knows who I am supporting. :cool:

Cz
04-25-2006, 08:47 PM
Eh, did you really expect anything different? Arsene can say "Let's get a goal." all he wants, but Villarreal aren't going to roll over at home in a Champions League semi-final. (cue second half collapse and me looking stupid)

GO VILLARSENAL! Now no-one knows who I am supporting. :cool:I figured we'd at least try and get something out of the game. This strategy just seems to be inviting trouble.

See, this Michael Robinson guy agrees with me. :cool:

Psychotic
04-25-2006, 08:51 PM
Hey, that strategy worked for us in our CL semi-final. Although then again, maybe you shouldn't try it, as you don't have the mighty Antonio Nunez on the bench ready to turn the tide of battle.

Oh, and there's no need to thank us for making sure Josemi was cup-tied for this game.

Spiffing Cheese
04-25-2006, 09:39 PM
Why the hell did he give Villarreal that penalty? Bit harsh, wasn't it? Ha ha, it was saved anyway. :laugh:

black orb
04-25-2006, 09:42 PM
>>> Jens Lehmann said NO!.. Villarreal doesnt go to the finals.. :cry:

Cz
04-25-2006, 09:43 PM
Jens, you're a legend. *humps* :D

black orb
04-25-2006, 09:46 PM
>>> Oh well, Barcelona still there..

Bart's Friend Milhouse
04-25-2006, 09:52 PM
did any of you anticipate the penalty miss. Almost everyone who was watching it in the bar saw it coming. I've only seen Riquelme take one other CL penalty and it was saved aswell

Psychotic
04-25-2006, 09:57 PM
Jens, you're a legend. *humps* :DEh, he's nothing compared to the legend of Dudek. :p

Congrats, gooners. Hope you can win in the final. Just watch out for first minute free kicks...

black orb
04-25-2006, 10:07 PM
>>> I lol'd with the Barca/Henry shirt inccident..:D

Cz
04-25-2006, 10:08 PM
Oh yeah, that was a good one. Who'd have thought the Spaniards had a sense of humour? :D

black orb
04-25-2006, 10:16 PM
>>> That guy was from Argentina, didnt you see his "Aguante Pelusa!" shirt....:D

Bart's Friend Milhouse
04-26-2006, 09:37 PM
anyone see the match?

Russielloyd
04-26-2006, 09:41 PM
Yeah, they should of been playing extra time now at least.

black orb
04-26-2006, 09:45 PM
>>> Whew.. that was close. It reminded me the yesterday match.
Now just wait for the grand final..

dragoonknight_kain
04-26-2006, 10:01 PM
Did anyone see a foul on Puyol in that goal?

Psychotic
04-26-2006, 10:02 PM
Looking forward to the final. Henry and Ronaldinho on the same pitch. :excited:

Russielloyd
04-26-2006, 10:06 PM
Did anyone see a foul on Puyol in that goal?

Nope, because there wasn't one.

dragoonknight_kain
04-26-2006, 10:15 PM
Looking forward to the final. Henry and Ronaldinho on the same pitch. :excited:
Imagine if Henry goes to Barcelona in the next season. I'd like to see what team would be able to stop them.

Cz
04-27-2006, 02:05 PM
Dear people of Cadiz,

It has come to my attention that your football team is scheduled to play FC Barcelona in three days time, and that a win in the aforementioned fixture would place your side on 35 points, in an ideal position to avoid relegation at the end of the season. As you are not doubt aware, my team is also set to face Barcelona next month in the Champions' League final. With this in mind, I am sure you will agree that it would benefit both of our teams to enter into some sort of alliance against this foe.

So if it isn't be too much trouble, would you mind setting one of your defenders the task of breaking the legs of Ronaldinho/Samuel Eto'o in the aforementioned La Liga match? In return, you can loan Jeremie Aliadiere out for next season's campaign, and we'll continue to stifle the English International side while promoting young Spanish talent as best we can. :)

Yours sinceritvely,

An Arsenal fan

Psychotic
05-03-2006, 04:42 AM
So if it isn't be too much trouble, would you mind setting one of your defenders the task of breaking the legs of Ronaldinho/Samuel Eto'o in the aforementioned La Liga match? Oh you really did tempt fate with that one. It's a shame that Dan Smith took out Diaby and not Henry :p

Cz
05-03-2006, 06:22 PM
Hey, just because God is on your team's side doesn't give you the right to brag, k? :mad2:

Psychotic
05-17-2006, 08:01 PM
Just figured I'd bring this thing back up to the surface now that the final is being played, so that no duplicate threads are made.

I'll feel dirty for saying this, but come on you Gunners.

Finally, these are the last moments of my time as a fan of the Champions of Europe, so I'll savour the moment with a nice big:

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e373/photobucketamazingness/Liverpool__Champion_192958c.jpg

:D

Good luck to both teams.

UPDATE 1: Wha-ho! Mad Jens off! The odds were already stacked against Arsenal, can they pull off something truly special?

UPDATE 2: Well well well! Who needs Mad Jens when you've got Crazy Campbell? 1-0 Arsenal. The second half is going to be a constant bombardment of the Gunners' goal now, and I can't wait. :D

Old Manus
05-17-2006, 09:28 PM
1-1

That's that then.

2-1

Yup.

Psychotic can merge posts.

OMFG POWRTRIP

I'll give you a powertrip if you keep this up.

:cry:

THAT'S WHAT I THOUGHT, BITCH.

Psychotic
05-17-2006, 09:31 PM
Yeah, pretty much. Unlucky Arsenal. You guys had put up a really good fight for being a man down. Can't really blame Almunia too much. He's done alright for a second choice keeper who never expected to be playing tonight

And no double posting!

Shoden
05-17-2006, 09:38 PM
Oh man, unlucky gunners. I was hoping for a Liverpool style ultimate comeback of doom!

DK
05-17-2006, 09:46 PM
That amused me greatly. Although I wish I had put a Fiver on Sol Campbell scoring like my friend Ant did. But, what the hell happened to Jens? I only saw the second half.

Bart's Friend Milhouse
05-17-2006, 10:02 PM
pass the hankies :crying:

Psychotic
05-17-2006, 10:05 PM
But, what the hell happened to Jens? I only saw the second half.Brought down Eto'o in a one-on-one.

Shoden
05-17-2006, 10:06 PM
Resha is going to be in a very bad mood. I'd recommend hiding.

Psychotic
05-17-2006, 10:09 PM
Resha is gone until June. Cz is the one you want to watch, although I doubt we'll see him tonight. I won't mock him. That would be cruel, and undeserved really. Hey, they got further than my team did this year :p

Still, that's not to take anything away from their opponents, and in particular Mr. Henrik Larsson, who has proved it's not just because he was in the crappy Scottish league after all, and that he has real talent.

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e373/photobucketamazingness/57640658.jpg

Congratulations, Barcelona, Champions of Europe. :)

DK
05-17-2006, 10:17 PM
I loved how the commentators changed their tune, too. "Arsenal have done well to hang on here, they're making Barcelona work. They're pushing forward more and more as the game progresses and creating more chances. Barcelona are in a bit of trouble here." 4 minutes later "Barcelona were always in control, it was just a matter of time."

Psychotic
05-17-2006, 10:18 PM
ITV's football team, commentators and pundits, are the biggest bunch of tools on the face of the earth.

Shoden
05-17-2006, 10:19 PM
listen to the football matches on metroradio sometime, now those guys are nuts.

DK
05-17-2006, 10:20 PM
I dunno about that, Sky have Andy Gray and the worst of all, Kris Kamara. I fucking hate Kris Kamara. But then again ITV have Ally McCoist and that's low as well.

Psychotic
05-17-2006, 10:22 PM
Ally McCoist and Andy Townsend < *

Resha's alarm failed to go off, and when I texted her to say unlucky, it woke her up. It was probably for the best that she slept through it really. :p

~SapphireStar~
05-17-2006, 10:28 PM
pass the hankies
Indeed :(

Russielloyd
05-17-2006, 10:29 PM
A poor final. I'm not an Arsenal fan, but i can't but feel that Arsenal have been cheated in someway.

I agree with Henry that the ref must of had a Barca shirt on underneath. How many yellow card should he had given to Barca. He spoilt it as a spectical, the ref isn't fit to ref a league 2 game. Marquez kicked Henry and Henry gets the yellow card! WTF!?

Van Bommel, how much stuff did he get away with? He's a dirty player.
A poor final just because of the refs incompetence.

Like Andy Gray said, we'll never know who the best time was.

DK
05-17-2006, 10:29 PM

Graeme Le Saux sucks on BBC, too.

~SapphireStar~
05-17-2006, 10:30 PM
A poor final. I'm not an Arsenal fan, but i can't feel that Arsenal have in some way been cheated.
Same here, I wanted to smack that ref so badly.

Psychotic
05-17-2006, 10:36 PM
Graeme Le Saux sucks on BBC, too.Le Saux quit, actually. I can't remember why, but it was over something stupid.

Russielloyd
05-17-2006, 10:36 PM

Graeme Le Saux sucks on BBC, too.

Leave him alone, Now Mark Lawrenson, now there's an absolute useless pundit and commentator, so biased, it's untrue!

Shin Gouken
05-17-2006, 10:37 PM
A poor final. I'm not an Arsenal fan, but i can't feel that Arsenal have in some way been cheated.

Shame on him for sendin off arsenals goal keeper. The poor bloke was nearly booted in the face :(

Barca fowled their way through that game knowing damn well they would get away with it

Russielloyd
05-17-2006, 10:42 PM

Shame on him for sendin off arsenals goal keeper. The poor bloke was nearly booted in the face :(

Barca fowled their way through that game knowing damn well they would get away with it

He was right to send him off or let him stay on and let the goal count, it should of been the latter, because after sending him off, the game was spoiled and got practically every decision wrong.

~SapphireStar~
05-17-2006, 10:44 PM
Shame on him for sendin off arsenals goal keeper. The poor bloke was nearly booted in the face
That is the first time Ive seen a goalie taken off! Seriously, I couldnt believe my eyes, I was like, "Can they do that?!"

DK
05-17-2006, 10:47 PM
I've seen it before, It happened to Wimbledon. It was great, first one keeper got sent off, then the substitute keeper got injured, so Vinnie Jones went in goal. He made two awesome saves and then let in 3 goals. It was amusing.

~SapphireStar~
05-17-2006, 10:48 PM
Vinnie in goal? Wow, I wanna see that :D

Psychotic
05-17-2006, 10:52 PM
I've seen it plenty of times before. The most recent ones that I can remember is Liverpool's Reina being sent off against Chelski thanks to Robben diving, and the Russian keeper being sent off in Euro 2004.

Vinnie Jones = legend. But what about Wimbledon, eh? It's "League Two" for "MK Dons" now.

Shin Gouken
05-17-2006, 10:56 PM

He was right to send him off or let him stay on and let the goal count, it should of been the latter, because after sending him off, the game was spoiled and got practically every decision wrong.

Watching the replay, it was clear he was trying to grab the ball, not the guy's leg. It's a a pathetic excuse for a red card

DK
05-17-2006, 10:58 PM
Vinnie Jones = legend. But what about Wimbledon, eh? It's "League Two" for "MK Dons" now.

How did they fall apart so spectacularly anyway? They can't have been paying out all that much for the talents of John Fashnu.

Psychotic
05-17-2006, 11:04 PM

How did they fall apart so spectacularly anyway? They can't have been paying out all that much for the talents of John Fashnu.That's what you get for selling out. No-one really supports them so they don't make much money. I daren't imagine what Dean Holdsworth, Neal Ardley or Hans Segers think.

Russielloyd
05-17-2006, 11:25 PM

Watching the replay, it was clear he was trying to grab the ball, not the guy's leg. It's a a pathetic excuse for a red card

You just don't get it. It doesn't matter if he attempted to grab the ball, he stopped a goal scoring opportunity by taking his feet and not touching the ball, it's a foul and a sending off. Anyone one with football knowledge knows that.

Shin Gouken
05-17-2006, 11:41 PM

You just don't get it. It doesn't matter if he attempted to grab the ball, he stopped a goal scoring opportunity by taking his feet and not touching the ball, it's a foul and a sending off. Anyone one with football knowledge knows that.

I disagree. A red card was unecessary. The goal could have been allowed and a yellow card given. Ive never seen such a poor excuse to give a red card

Russielloyd
05-17-2006, 11:58 PM
That's what i'm saying, if Guily had put it wide then send him off, but he scored from the advantage and should of let him stay on the pitch and let the goal count. It would of been a better match.

Psychotic
05-18-2006, 12:00 AM
It's the same situation that happened in the Champions League semi-final between Liverpool and Chelsea last season, with the infamous Garcia "goal". Cech fouled Baros, and Garcia went on to score, however, the ref played advantage and Cech didn't get sent off.

dragoonknight_kain
05-18-2006, 12:02 AM
You people should know more about rules. The ref should have given advantage, then, after the goal, sent off the keeper.

Russielloyd
05-18-2006, 12:15 AM
It's the same situation that happened in the Champions League semi-final between Liverpool and Chelsea last season, with the infamous Garcia "goal". Cech fouled Baros, and Garcia went on to score, however, the ref played advantage and Cech didn't get sent off.

Wasn't that match a better for keeping Cech on the pitch?

You people should know more about rules. The ref should have given advantage, then, after the goal, sent off the keeper.

It's not always about the rules, it's about using common sense aswell.

Maybe you should know more about the game and fairplay that comes with it.

dragoonknight_kain
05-18-2006, 12:35 AM
It's simple: Lehmann fouled Eto'o on a one-on-one, which deserved a red card. But Giuly got the ball in a scoring opportunity, so the ref should have waited until Giuly scored. But the fact Giuly scored doesn't minimize Lehmann's foul.

Your idea of common sense is different from mine. My idea is that who fouled must be punished, not the one who suffered the foul. In this case, Barca should have scored, and, in a way, was punished, because their goal was disallowed.

And I know enough about the game and about fairplay to say that the ref made a mistake there, thank you very much.

Russielloyd
05-18-2006, 12:49 AM
Obviously not enough, one way of another, Arsenal got punished. You're the only person probably in the world who claims to understand the game, that thinks it would be right to send him off and let the goal count.

Any decent ref would let the goal count and give Lehman a yellow card and let the game countinue 11 v 11. A goal would of suited the punishment of bringing down Eto. If Lehman didn't touch Eto, he would of scored anyways. It was a red card offense, if the ball had drifted out for a goal kick, but the fact they scored anyways, no need to send him off, this is where the ref was a complete idiot.

I've been watching this far too long, not to know what i'm talking about.

dragoonknight_kain
05-18-2006, 01:03 AM
You're the only person probably in the world who claims to understand the game, that thinks it would be right to send him off and let the goal count.
I don't care if I'm the only person in this world who thinks like this (which I doubt). It's my opinion, so I don't really care (it won't change the result anyway).

I've been watching this far too long, not to know what i'm talking about.
I don't even remember when I started watching it, so what? It means nothing.

Russielloyd
05-18-2006, 01:06 AM
You're stating an opinion, im stating it as a fact, it's one or the other, not both, no other way too it.

dragoonknight_kain
05-18-2006, 01:32 AM
Fact? Hehehe, you really know it all...

Let's stop this, it's going nowhere, and it's going off-topic as well.

Russielloyd
05-18-2006, 01:41 AM
Fact it is.

Henry will be at Arsenal next season i think, another chance to do it again.

Endless
05-18-2006, 07:23 AM

The commenters on tv last night were pointing out that the ref did indeed suck, and that was probably the reason why he wasn't chosen to ref at the World Cup.

Cz
05-18-2006, 09:26 AM
I hate things. :(

Burtsplurt
05-18-2006, 05:10 PM
At least your team actually made a game of a European final, Cz.

The referee was appalling, but he was inept at both ends. I think the game would have played out differently if he had let the goal stand and just booked Lehmann.

(P.S. If the goal had stood, then he couldn't have been sent off for denying a clear goal-scoring opportunity. He would have been booked for a professional foul instead.)

Shoden
05-18-2006, 05:21 PM

I disagree. A red card was unecessary. The goal could have been allowed and a yellow card given. Ive never seen such a poor excuse to give a red card

Whining about how stupid it was now aint gonna stop the gunners misery, the ref sucks, alot of refs suck, there's worse in the EPL, I don't mean to be ignorant here, sure he shouldn't have been sent off, but if the ref says it, then it has to be done, no matter how gay or crappy he is.
Sometimes it can be funny when a ref calls a foul for something absolutely stupid, well the Barca fans musta loved the guy.

Cz
05-18-2006, 05:23 PM
At least your team actually made a game of a European final, Cz.I think that's somewhat harsh on your lot. While the result was certainly justified, I think that the scoreline itself wasn't particularly fair. After all, the last two goals were only scored because you were pushing so hard to get back into the game.

The referee was appalling, but he was inept at both ends. I think the game would have played out differently if he had let the goal stand and just booked Lehmann.

(P.S. If the goal had stood, then he couldn't have been sent off for denying a clear goal-scoring opportunity. He would have been booked for a professional foul instead.)I agree that the ref was poor, but I think his decisions more or less balanced out in the end, and didn't have a great bearing on the result. It's an interesting debate as to whether the sending off or the goal would have hurt us more, but there's no use blaming a refereeing decision for our defeat. I mean, we weren't complaining at half time...

While I'm absolutely gutted that we came so far only to lose it so late on, I have to say that as defeats go this one wasn't too bad. Barcelona were simply the better side on the night, and they won it fair and square. We were completely up against it, and put in a strong performance for 70 minutes, a man down against the best team in the world. At the beginning of the season, I'd never have expected that kind of outcome to a Champions' League campaign, so congratulations to the team for achieving what they did.

Still absolutely gutted, though. :(

Bart's Friend Milhouse
05-18-2006, 06:08 PM
The referee was appalling

I agree that the ref was poor

Does anybody remember the Deportivo/Porto semi-final match about three years ago? The 'so-called' best referee in the world Collina basically robbed the Spaniards of a first European Cup final. I think one Depor player got elbowed, another got hit in the face three times, and a blatant penalty was turned down. The story doesn't end there. Look back at the two teams Depor knocked out to reach the semis. AC Milan and Juventus. I think that says just about enough

Burtsplurt
05-18-2006, 07:34 PM
At least your team actually made a game of a European final, Cz.I think that's somewhat harsh on your lot. While the result was certainly justified, I think that the scoreline itself wasn't particularly fair. After all, the last two goals were only scored because you were pushing so hard to get back into the game.

Yeah, I know. It just would have been nice to have had something to cheer. As it was, 4-0 was very deflating after what we had achieved in that competition.

But, again, the best side (Sevilla) won. Their technique, pace and passing were far superior to ours. Still, can't complain - I would never expected us to have got to the final, just like I thought Arsenal would suffer on their travels in Europe.

DeathKnight
05-18-2006, 09:05 PM
:kaocheer: :kaocheer: :kaocheer: :kaocheer: :kaocheer: :kaocheer: Barcelona beats Arsenal!

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY

--------------------------:plotting: --------------------------------

Old Manus
05-18-2006, 09:40 PM
Deathknight thinks it's cool to be nonconformist

DeathKnight
05-18-2006, 10:15 PM
Deathknight thinks it's cool to be nonconformist

noncomformist to what??? Speak up and stop trying to label me.

At least I'm not the one trying to sound funny/sarcastic/or amusing in every goddamn post.

Old Manus
05-18-2006, 10:32 PM
Calm it, you're just the guy I'm picking on today

EDIT: oh wait I forgot the sarcasm
EDIT2: I can't think of anything

DeathKnight
05-18-2006, 10:36 PM
Calm it, you're just the guy I'm picking on today

EDIT: oh wait I forgot the sarcasm
EDIT2: I can't think of anything

well, picking on me will cost you, specially if you go around trying to label me.

Old Manus
05-18-2006, 10:37 PM
specially if you go around trying to label me.

At least I'm not the one trying to sound funny/sarcastic/or amusing in every goddamn post.

:)

Russielloyd
05-18-2006, 11:00 PM
Everyone eat some Apple pie!

mmmmm, Apple Pie!

Psychotic
05-18-2006, 11:07 PM
Everyone stop spamming!

mmmmm, no spam!

black orb
05-22-2006, 12:17 AM
We are the champions - my friends