PDA

View Full Version : Need help.

Khaotic
12-09-2005, 05:56 AM
I'm getting a new RPG game, but I can't make up my mind.. there is so many new games, anyways here is the "list".

That Magna carta game
The new Wild arms : Alter Code F
Radiata stories(most interesting to me so far)
hmm then some other hack and slash type rpg, forgot the name, i'll edit in a second with the name.

Edit: Shining Force Neo

Vyk
12-09-2005, 08:13 AM
I would highly suggest not Shining Force Neo. Unless the game is vastly different from the Demo. Its way too much like a 3D Shining Soul (and probably with good [or bad] reason). Just pointless hack'n'slash. And not in a good Diablo-style way. Its just straight up running around whacking things. A million things. That like to gang up on you. It's so tedious and annoying I couldn't even bother to finish the demo. I kept getting resurrected somehow, which made it even worse. Especially when you're in the middle of getting a beat down.

Note about Magna Carta, there was an actor's strike from what I heard. Atlus had to use newbies to voice that game and so it's voice acting is pretty bad. But that seems to be the biggest complaint people have. And I'm not honestly sure if there's an option to put it on Japanese dialogue. I would hope, but considering all the complaining, I'm guessing not. Also I've heard the encounters get tedious, but in what RPG don't they? From the sound of it though, it's mostly based on its battle system. Once you enter battle you have to select a fighting style and wait your turn, and once you go your attacks are timing based. Which is probably pretty cool on battles that matter. But I can understand the mediocrity on random encounters with like sewer rats every 10 feet and having to go through all that droll everytime for a one-hit-kill. But it also sounds like the sheer beauty of the game is worth overlooking that stuff. So I dunno. I can't speak for many other games though. And I really shouldn't speak for those as I haven't actually played them (the final product anyway, in the case of SFN).

Khaotic
12-09-2005, 08:48 AM
hmm... Magna carta sounds more interesting now, thinking about wiping out the neo one though since I heard bad things about it in reviews as well. So far its between wild arms, magna carta, and radiata.

Aphelion
12-09-2005, 01:10 PM
I haven't played Magna Carta, Shining Force Neo or the Wild Arms remake (I've been playing RPGs from the PS1 era lately), but I wholeheartedly recommend Radiata Stories to anyone willing to experience a funny and lighthearted adventure (it is, honestly), with an "innovative" battle system (okay, I admit it: it's mostly a SO3 rip-off) and a diverse cast.

Madame Adequate
12-09-2005, 04:31 PM
I did enjoy Radiata Stories, and would certainly not dissuade someone from getting it.

However, I would recommend someone get Magna Carta first. It has been a long, long time since a game's characters have appealed to me that much. Also, I found the battles to be rather slow-paced but extremely engrossing - you're constantly trying to set things up just so, even though you could win in half the time. Because when you do get it just so you'll be on fire. Well, usually, it'll be your enemies who are on fire.

I also think the game is absolutely beautiful, one of the best looking in awhile.

It is a shame about the voice acting (No option for Japanese dialogue, either :(), but it's only a marginaly negative in a very good game.

Deaths_Hand
12-09-2005, 05:04 PM
Radiata Stories and Magna Carta both look decent, havent heard of the other

Dreddz
12-09-2005, 05:21 PM
Magna Carta seems intresting, Wild arms was a crap RPG altogether, so the remake I'd avoid ( although I'd suspect big changes ).
I dont own Radiata Stories, and generally dont have a comment, its seems ok I guess.
Im not sure what Hack slash RPG you mean, Rogue Galaxy looks awesome, but tahst not out yet.
Get Magna Carta Imo......

Vyk
12-09-2005, 06:17 PM
I can't wait for Rogue Galaxy. I skipped out on DQ8 'cause I know it's style isn't something that'd appeal to me. But they're comparing Rogue Galaxy to Final Fantasy. And I've fallen away from FF, but as a whole FF has a much better chance at appealing to me. So maybe they can do it. It certainly looks awesome.

Khaotic
12-09-2005, 06:59 PM
Ok I decided to get radiata stories since I just finished beating dragon quest VIII and it would be nice to have a new battle system. I liked SO:TTEOT battle system, so I'm sure i'll enjoy this game from the sound of it.

Madame Adequate
12-09-2005, 07:22 PM
Ok I decided to get radiata stories since I just finished beating dragon quest VIII and it would be nice to have a new battle system. I liked SO:TTEOT battle system, so I'm sure i'll enjoy this game from the sound of it.

Every game on that list is better than DQVIII, so you can't really go wrong...

Dreddz - Can't wait for Rogue Galaxy :D That game looks swanky. But I have to disagree, I don't know about the sequels but the original Wild Arms was nifty IMO.

Khaotic
12-09-2005, 08:29 PM
Every game on that list is better than DQVIII, so you can't really go wrong...

Dreddz - Can't wait for Rogue Galaxy :D That game looks swanky. But I have to disagree, I don't know about the sequels but the original Wild Arms was nifty IMO.

really? o.O I thought dragon quest was actually pretty good, imo lots of replay value with the different ways you can go weapon wise.

Vyk
12-09-2005, 08:45 PM
Different weapons? Man it would take a LOT more than that to make me want to re-play an RPG ^_^'

Khaotic
12-09-2005, 09:15 PM
Umm you get different skills for depending what weapon you go.

For example, you level you get between 2-9 points to distribute into a weapon category such as sword, axe, staff, scythe, it all depends on what character leveled. Then once that specific weapon reaches an amount you'll learn a new ability.