PDA

View Full Version : Battery Voltage Low?

Lionx
12-10-2005, 11:48 PM
Ok i was playing FFXI one day, and the NPCs and PCs that were around started flashing and i couldnt select any of them at all. So i decided to restart my computer. When i did, i got the msg before the Windows loading screen that says:

Alert! System Battery Voltage low! Press F1 to continue or F2 for some setup thing

What does this mean? What should i do to alleviate this problem? Whats going on? @_@; *concerned*

Killy
12-11-2005, 12:08 AM
This probably means that you have to change the battery on your motherboard.

Lionx
12-11-2005, 12:45 AM
Thats strange what causes it to run out so fast? My older computer doesnt seem to need that yet..i thought it was that battery but..i didnt think it would run out like that considering my old one doesnt need a replacement yet...

That and could you help me on how do i do that? Do i buy something and replace it myself? Or do i bring it somewhere for a professional?

Killy
12-11-2005, 01:30 AM
You can probably do it yourself, all you need is one of those small round batteries, you'll have to check on your motherboard to find out which exactly.

There might be some problems if you did something to your Bios, cl_out probably knows more about this then I do.

Samuraid
12-11-2005, 07:14 AM
Before replacing the battery, try shutting down and restarting the computer again to see if you get the same message. If you ever get the message again, then the battery needs to be replaced.

If you open your computer case, the battery looks like a silvery, nickel-shaped disc in a little socket. (see the pic below) You can read the model number from the top of the battery, then go to a local electronics store and buy a replacement.

After you have a replacement...
- Shut down your computer
- Disconnect the power (just a safe idea)
- Pop out the old battery by pressing the small pin on the edge
- Insert the new battery in the same orientation as the old battery. (most likely the flat "+" side goes up)
- Restart the computer.

If the BIOS informs you that you need to run setup, go ahead and do so, but you probably won't need to change any options and can just quit the BIOS setup program.

The attachment is a picture of a common motherboard battery.