PDA

View Full Version : Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe

Miriel
12-11-2005, 10:16 AM
So who else saw it this weekend?

I thought it was great. Rather long though. There were some moments that were just magical, and others that were a bit cheesy and didn't quite work.

Lucy was so adorable, I could've just reached into the screen and pulled her out just so I could cuddle with her. So cute! Everytime she cried, my eyes got watery. Freakin' adorable British kid. That's manipulative heart-tugging right there. I don't think I really liked any of the other children beside Lucy. The beavers and Tumnus were great though. And Niam Neeson has a fantastic voice, perfect for a Christ-like figure. So strong and reassuring. Mmm.

It was a lot more violent than I thought it would be, especially Aslan's death and the final battle. Not really standard PG fare.

Obvious Christian parallels that weren't so obvious to me when I was 7 years old. It was interesting.

Anyway, I liked the movie. It could've been shorter and it wasn't exactly brilliant, but it had its moments and it brought a smile and a few tears to my face.

nik0tine
12-11-2005, 11:00 AM
I'm not one for movies, but I'm definetly going to see this with my sister and my friend mike. It'll bring back some of our memories from elementary school.

Deaths_Hand
12-11-2005, 12:28 PM
i cant wait to see it

*ETERNAL FANTASY*
12-11-2005, 12:57 PM
oh ffs put spoiler tags for goodness sake mate!

ahh ill c it anyway! thanks alot:mad:

Epiphany
12-11-2005, 01:00 PM
I don't see anything that's really a spoiler, unless you didn't know who played what in it. And you haven't read the book. >_>

I can't wait to see this movie, I've been waiting for it for a looong, long time and I think, from the previews/trailers I've seen, it will do the book justice. I hope I'm not wrong.

Rye
12-11-2005, 01:17 PM
I really would like to see it, as I think I've read the book when I was little. :)

Captain Maxx Power
12-11-2005, 02:11 PM
I've seen it myself, and I highly recommend it. The pacing and characterisation are just right, considering the source text (C.S. Lewis was a casual writer most of the time, skipping over many details and getting on with business). In terms of effects it was the standard you expect from WETA, though credit to the animatronics of the beastmen. The minotaurs in particular were especially scary.

O and I agree, Lucy was very kyoote. She reminded me of my little cousin a lot in terms of looks, so I guess I emphasised with her more because of that.

TurkSlayer
12-11-2005, 03:39 PM
I saw it at 12:01 AM on Friday. It kicked ass.

RPJesus
12-11-2005, 03:55 PM
I haven't seen it yet (my sister just came back from it, though). i really do want ot, I love the books. This one isn't my favourite out of the series, but it's still very good. I'd just to love to see a movie, really. I don't knoiw how good it's meant ot be, but the story's already great, so no changing that. Hopefully...

Miriel
12-11-2005, 05:57 PM
oh ffs put spoiler tags for goodness sake mate!

ahh ill c it anyway! thanks alot:mad:
Why would you enter a thread about a newly released movie and not expect spoilers? :confused:

Kirobaito
12-11-2005, 09:03 PM
I'll see it some time this week. I wasn't that excited at first, because I never read the book, but it's growing on me.

rubah
12-11-2005, 09:05 PM
I found the sense of deja vu at the beginning eerie. I don't *remember* having watched a trailer, but I must have; I didn't have *that* vivid of an imagination in fifth grade.

It was a fantastic movie. If only LotR had been half as interesting :]

Rase
12-11-2005, 09:23 PM
I'm waiting until a week from now, as my sister will be visiting from college than and we're going as a family. :)

Can't wait.

Miriel
12-11-2005, 09:38 PM
It was a fantastic movie. If only LotR had been half as interesting :]

Oh no, you did <i>not</i> just go there. Them be fightin' words.

*ETERNAL FANTASY*
12-12-2005, 12:32 AM
Why would you enter a thread about a newly released movie and not expect spoilers? :confused:

no i was rather expecting how your response to the movie had been given that it has been compared to the LoTR movies but critics n all!

Ah heck its all said n done its getting released in boxing day here!

Chris
12-12-2005, 01:16 AM
Goin' to see it soon, real soon. I think it'll be a nice experience!

rubah
12-12-2005, 02:22 AM
Oh no, you did <i>not</i> just go there. Them be fightin' words.
It might've been because I was sick, but fellowship of the rings nearly put me to sleep.

(I have read the books btw, kthxbai^_^)

escobert
12-12-2005, 05:41 AM
So who else saw it this weekend?

I thought it was great. Rather long though. There were some moments that were just magical, and others that were a bit cheesy and didn't quite work.

Lucy was so adorable, I could've just reached into the screen and pulled her out just so I could cuddle with her. So cute! Everytime she cried, my eyes got watery. Freakin' adorable British kid. That's manipulative heart-tugging right there. I don't think I really liked any of the other children beside Lucy. The beavers and Tumnus were great though. And Niam Neeson has a fantastic voice, perfect for a Christ-like figure. So strong and reassuring. Mmm.

It was a lot more violent than I thought it would be, especially Aslan's death and the final battle. Not really standard PG fare.

Obvious Christian parallels that weren't so obvious to me when I was 7 years old. It was interesting.

Anyway, I liked the movie. It could've been shorter and it wasn't exactly brilliant, but it had its moments and it brought a smile and a few tears to my face.
Thank you for marking your spoilers :(

Mittopotahis
12-12-2005, 05:54 AM
Well, I barely read the first post, but something about someone dieing, thanks alot :(

It comes out on boxing day here, i will be seeing it with a couple of friends. Haven't read the books(s) either.

One thing I have been worrying about is Disney. How did they do?

Miriel
12-12-2005, 06:20 AM
I apologize sincerely to anyone who feels that they were spoiled. But really, with such a well-known story and the very obvious parallels to Biblical stories, most of the reviews you'll read about the movie will mention the "spoiler" I mentioned here.

Even Roger Ebert's review of the movie says, Edmund by now has gone off on his own and gotten himself taken hostage, and the Beavers hold out hope that perhaps the legendary Aslan (voice by Liam Neeson) can save him. This involves Aslan dying for Edmund's sins, much as Christ died for ours. Aslan's eventual resurrection leads into an apocalyptic climax that may be inspired by Revelation. which is a far more in-depth spoiler than mine was.

This is the sorta thing that you risk when you walk into a thread or a review about a movie you haven't seen. =/

Markus. D
12-12-2005, 06:42 AM
way to say that you know who dies...... heh heh, i made it sound like Voldemort ICAWMAM!!!!

kikimm
12-12-2005, 06:44 AM
I really don't think these "spoilers" are a big deal. It's a lion. ;D

I forgot that it was coming out this weekend. Well, I'm glad you liked it, you usually have pretty good taste ;) I'll probably end up seeing it during Christmas break. It's a Christmas break kind of movie.

escobert
12-12-2005, 11:34 AM
I apologize sincerely to anyone who feels that they were spoiled. But really, with such a well-known story and the very obvious parallels to Biblical stories, most of the reviews you'll read about the movie will mention the "spoiler" I mentioned here.

Even Roger Ebert's review of the movie says, Edmund by now has gone off on his own and gotten himself taken hostage, and the Beavers hold out hope that perhaps the legendary Aslan (voice by Liam Neeson) can save him. This involves Aslan dying for Edmund's sins, much as Christ died for ours. Aslan's eventual resurrection leads into an apocalyptic climax that may be inspired by Revelation. which is a far more in-depth spoiler than mine was.

This is the sorta thing that you risk when you walk into a thread or a review about a movie you haven't seen. =/

I seriously have no idea whatsoever have no idea what its about. Befor ethe movie came I'd neve heard of it.

Skogs
12-12-2005, 07:07 PM
I think it'd have been better if it hadn't tried to be Lord of the Rings 2006. It ended up being, to my mind, a rather confused film.

Plus, it lifted heavily from the BBC version...

Maxico
12-12-2005, 07:17 PM
Oh come on. The books are at least 50 years old. Spoilers really shouldn't be an issue.

Dreddz
12-12-2005, 07:44 PM
Oh lord those BBC adaptions I still have.......No I shall never want to see this movie ever in my life .....

Germ Hamee
12-12-2005, 11:41 PM
Hmm. The movie started out with this very strong, magical, kid nostalgia feeling, even for me who's never read the books or seen the older movies before. I liked it quite a bit, but the climax ultimately ended up being rather bland, and I left the theatre feeling a bit disappointed.

It's going to be a struggle for Narnia to free itself of LotR's shadow. With everyone being so used to huge, epic battles, what Narnia presented as a huge battle was a bit of a yawn. Of course, it is a kid's movie, and it was from Disney... but try getting that through the thick skulled group I saw it with. x_X

Anyway. The White Witch was wonderful, and without a doubt one of my favorite villains of all time.

Vyk
12-13-2005, 12:04 AM
Why is veryone on about spoilers? If we can discuss Aeris's death openly on a FF related message board, which is 8 years old. Surely we can discuss a half-century old story that's been put into film (both animated and live acted) previously. Its not new, people XD

MogThief
12-13-2005, 12:51 AM
It's nice to see that they made a movie out of the book. It's been over 10 years since I had read it in school. My teacher actually made a treat the four children ate for my class to eat. It was a soft candy and was really good, but we could get only one piece. :( Does anyone remember this part of the story in the book?

Sasquatch
12-13-2005, 01:38 AM
I love a lot of C.S. Lewis's works. Not only am I a Christian (as most of his work is Christian) and see a lot of the religious undertones, but also he's simply an excellent writer. I'll probably see it this week sometime (Thursday or later most likely), and I'm definitely looking forward to it -- I might even drag my girlfriend along.

Winter Nights
12-13-2005, 01:44 AM
Why is veryone on about spoilers? If we can discuss Aeris's death openly on a FF related message board, which is 8 years old. Surely we can discuss a half-century old story that's been put into film (both animated and live acted) previously. Its not new, people XD
This has to be the fifth remake by Disney alone. When I was a kid, it seemed like every couple of years they'd remake it for the Disney channel or just air the BBC version.

I dunno.. I've seen so many versions of it, the only thing going for it is the special effects, which I've heard aren't up to par in places. I may just wait for the DVD. We'll see.

DMKA
12-13-2005, 02:04 AM
I'm going to go see it later tonight because I'm bored, I like going to the theater, and visually from the previews it looks like a must-see on the bigscreen.

Sasquatch
12-13-2005, 04:18 AM
I didn't know it had ever been made into a movie.

Winter Nights
12-13-2005, 04:20 AM
I didn't know it had ever been made into a movie.
Usually made-for-TV movies or miniseries, though I believe there was an animated feature film at one time.

Caspian
12-13-2005, 05:21 AM
HERE'S WHAT I THOUGHT:

Aslan: ALL THAT THE LIGHT TOUCHES WILL BE YOURS
Peter: EVEN THE ELEPHANT BONEYARD?
Aslan: NO SIMBA, YOU MUST NEVER GO THERE

DMKA
12-13-2005, 08:11 AM
Oh man, I just got back from it. It was amazing. Probably one of my favorite movies of all time. I wanted to hug the lion.

I never read the book though. Does that make me a bad person?

yuffielover
12-16-2005, 11:21 PM
Unsure if I read the book, but I have played the game, and I'm currently on Level 5 on that Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, The Witch And The Wardrobe game.

Psydekick
12-17-2005, 09:36 AM
The books are good.

~SapphireStar~
12-17-2005, 06:26 PM
Seen it 2 days ago and I loved it! The children didnt overact (although Susan did annoy me sometimes), I loved Aslan and thought Liam Neeson as his voice was perfect. I did see the religious undertones Aslan as Jesus tired up and Aslans mane shaved (possibly Jesus's robes being removed) and perhaps Mr. Tumnus or Edmund as Judus.
I cried when Alsan came back, although I didnt cry when he died, well, because I knew he would return anyhoo!

The thing that really did annoy me to Hell and beyond had nothing to do with the movie, it was the audience and for once it wasnt children or chavs, it was adults! A couple (in their 30s) questioned or commented, very loudly, on whatever happened! At one point the woman asked, very loudly, "What are those white cats?" I nearly shouted back "Snow leopards! Now will you shut up!?" But Dan stopped me and said to ignore her. Im going to watch it again soon cause I really did enjoy every last minute of it.

Im currently reading the book.

Alixsar
12-17-2005, 07:13 PM
Spoiler warning, if you care. You shouldn't. What are you, some kind of baby? I bet you are. Afraid of a spoiler? Come on, don't be a wuss.

I saw it. I hadn't read any of the books, so I didn't know what to expect. It was alright...that is, until about halfway through the movie. When Santa Claus showed up and gave Peter Excalibur. ...yeah, what the hell?

xX.Silver.Wings.Xx
12-20-2005, 02:39 PM
YAY!! *CLAPS* Loved it!!

MoonsEcho
12-21-2005, 05:12 AM
I still haven't seen it yet, but I hope to soon. Maybe when we go visit family for Christmas we'll have a babysitter and we can actually make it to the theater. I read the books, a long, long time ago, and I saw the animated version (or one of them, dunno how many there are) several times as a child and loved it.

My teacher actually made a treat the four children ate for my class to eat. It was a soft candy and was really good, but we could get only one piece. Does anyone remember this part of the story in the book?

I believe you're talking about Turkish Delight.

zell1990
12-21-2005, 10:13 AM
I saw it the other day with my sisters, and I have to say it was a very good film. I felt close to tears at a couple of points, although i won't admit it. Also, Lucy was the cutest little thing I've seen in a while :) so adorable!

Kawaii Ryűkishi
02-13-2006, 04:32 AM
I saw it today. It's probably the best example I've ever seen of a movie with a barebones plot that still does well through the cleverness of its execution and the strength of the characters. I especially enjoyed all the implied pedophilia in the first hour.

krissy
02-13-2006, 05:05 AM
I especially enjoyed all the implied pedophilia in the first hour.

Oh I'm glad it wasn't just me that saw that then

phew

Shoden
02-17-2006, 11:00 AM
I saw it recently, it was an excellent movie, I'm after the other books now, amazing film.