PDA

View Full Version : pronunctiation of "yuffie"

Zeromus_X
12-11-2005, 08:39 PM
is it "yuh-fee" or "yoo-fee"? i hope its not the latter...it sounds stupid. (my friend said in kingdom hearts its pronounced yoo-fee...ick...)

Azure
12-11-2005, 09:33 PM
It is pronounced Yoo-fee in Kingdom Hearts

Shoden
12-11-2005, 09:44 PM
If it was Yuh fee then the spelling would lack an f.

wait till AC DUB and the answer will come.

Captain Maxx Power
12-11-2005, 11:26 PM
I've always pronounced it Yuh-fee myself.

Starboard Regulator FlareNUKE
12-12-2005, 12:27 AM
I would have pronounced the Yuff-ee if it were not for Kingdom Hearts..

Zeromus_X
12-12-2005, 12:29 AM
thats what i shouldve spelled it as... "yuff-ee" . (not to confuse anyone.)

Dolentrean
12-12-2005, 01:23 AM
I always pronounced it you-fee myself.

Slade
12-12-2005, 03:19 AM
I've always said 'Yuh-fee'. I was kind of like, 'what the.....' when I heard the Kingdom Hearts pronounciation.

FutureEmperor
12-12-2005, 03:48 AM
I always thought i was you-fee

but then i suck at pronouncing things, well i suck in english in general.

Starcrest
12-12-2005, 03:56 AM
I always said Yuh-fee

Randgris
12-12-2005, 04:45 AM
I always say it in Yuh-fi. or was it You-fi? I think I always say You-fi. Ahh heck...

abrojtm
12-12-2005, 04:50 AM
I've always thought it was Yuff-EE

dŁv!l'$ ph0Łn!x
12-12-2005, 11:25 AM
i pronounce it yuf-i. always have, always will (no matter what the AC dub version says :D)

Kawaii Ryűkishi
12-12-2005, 11:26 AM
The correct pronounciation if yoo-fee. Blame Square/Sony for giving her name a misleading romanization.

Rhi
12-12-2005, 08:08 PM
i use both xD

Anniexo
12-12-2005, 08:17 PM
i say it like you-fi like they do in the KH game (that's how i get know how to say a lot of the name lol)

Shoden
12-12-2005, 09:49 PM
Kishi knows it all.

Yuffie514
12-13-2005, 06:17 AM
1) "Yoo-fie"...passed.

2) "Yuh-fie"...rejected.

...and that's that, b/c "Yoo-Faye" said so, xD.

boys from the dwarf
12-13-2005, 07:26 AM
yuh-fee.

Vyk
12-13-2005, 08:26 AM
What are you talking about lacking an F? It wouldn't either. Then the word "Huff" would only have one F. But it doesn't. But that's english and not romaji. We can't use english pronunciation rules on romanized Japanese names :/ Which I personally think is retarded. Romaji should be updated so people don't make mistakes like that. I pronounce it like "huff" with a Y instead of an H. But that's because I'm American and used American-English pronunciation rules. That's how I screwed up a lot of Japanese words originally.

Aurora_sword
12-13-2005, 01:36 PM
yoof~fee
:3

Vyk
12-14-2005, 07:36 AM
It certainly takes some getting used to when you're used to pronouncing things the way they look in english. But Yoo-fee was easier to get used to than Tee-dus.

Slade
12-15-2005, 04:07 AM
It didn't take me long to get used to Tidus. I've said it so much now that I actually prefer it as Tee-dus instead of Tie-dus.

I don't think I'll change my pronounciation of Yuffie though.....It just sounds wrong the proper way. Sounds like a clown: Yoofie the clown.

The Man
12-15-2005, 04:19 AM
The correct pronounciation if yoo-fee. Blame Square/Sony for giving her name a misleading romanization.yeah, I had the wrong pronunciation until I really thought about it for like. five minutes. Which was three years after I first played FFVII. D'oh.

Cloud_omnislash_Strife
12-15-2005, 10:11 AM
I pronounce it as You-fiend nope just kidding you-fee

Neco Arc
12-16-2005, 11:11 AM
Its pronounced "GOOFY"...

DK
12-16-2005, 01:37 PM
I don't care what Square-Enix say, Yuffie is Yuff-ee, Tidus is Tie-dus and Chocobo is pronounced Choc-o-bo, not cho-co-bow.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
12-16-2005, 01:42 PM
That's cute.

boys from the dwarf
12-16-2005, 05:04 PM
I don't care what Square-Enix say, Yuffie is Yuff-ee, Tidus is Tie-dus and Chocobo is pronounced Choc-o-bo, not cho-co-bow.
yeah that was annoying in FFX when i was calling them choc-oh-boes all along and then they end up calling them choke-oh-boes:mad2: .

Levian
12-16-2005, 10:51 PM

Kawaii Ryűkishi
12-16-2005, 11:12 PM
Imagine that you read about a foreign guy for a number of years, developed your own idea of how to pronounce his name, and then finally heard it spoken and found out that your idea wasn't at all concurrent with the way he and the people around him pronounced it. You wouldn't say, "I don't care. My way is right." And the same should be true of this stuff.

DK
12-16-2005, 11:26 PM
No, I wouldn't say that, because that would be a living human being just like myself, and he has lived his own life and has in his name his own identity, and it should be pronounced how he says so. In this case, however, we're referring to characters and a creature from a computer game which you take control of and you play the game according to how you play these games, you make the decisions about what to eqiup them with and stuff like that, it is essentially your game. Therefore I'm quite happy pronouncing their names the way I like.:D

Vyk
12-16-2005, 11:28 PM
The problem is, it shouldn't be presented in a manner that you'd be pronouncing it wrong in the first place :/ Whatever symbols they use to depict Yuffie's name, when they translate/romajinize, they should make it something like Yoofy or something if that's how they want it pronounced. Granted I guess I'm preaching to the chior since you've already said to blame their romanization. Basically I'm just saying "I do blame them". They need to make it more user-friendly or whatever.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
12-16-2005, 11:30 PM
The point is that these things have always had certain pronounciations and just because you weren't aware of them and invented your own pronounciations doesn't make you any less incorrect.

DK
12-16-2005, 11:32 PM
When did I say I wasn't incorrect? I wasn't trying to imply that Square-Enix was wrong and that mine were right, I was trying to say that that's how they'll always be to me. I just prefer them that way.

vampirepiggyhunter7
12-16-2005, 11:56 PM
I like it YOO-FEE.
BTW there is a bit of irony. You spelled pronounciation worng

Smim
12-17-2005, 12:37 AM
I like it YOO-FEE.
BTW there is a bit of irony. You spelled pronounciation worng

So did you ;)

pronunciation

DJZen
12-17-2005, 07:00 AM
It's pronounced "yiffy"

Vyk
12-17-2005, 07:11 AM
Welcome to Yiffy Lube ;D

RKumono
12-17-2005, 10:55 PM
Final Fantasy VII = Made In Japan

Okay everyone, Japanese lesson.

There are no short and long vowels in Japanese. There is only one pronounciation for each 'letter'. A 'letter' in Japanese is a consanant and a vowel (such as 'ka', 'to', 'na', 'ni', and 'yu'). There are exceptions, such as 'shi' instead of 'si', because of the way it would need to be said, but for the most part this is correct. The six exceptions to these are the base letters--five vowels ('a', 'i', 'u', 'e', 'o') and the only Japanese 'consanant': 'n'. Finally, one character can be used to make the next 'consanant' sound double. This is used in YuFfie--the double F.

These are taught in the order of 'a', 'i', 'u', 'e', 'o'. [ka, ki, ku, ke, ko, sa, shi*, su, se, so, ta, chi*, tsu*, te, to ...etc.--the stared* characters are the special exceptions noted above.]

Now... Let's go back to 'a', 'i', 'u', 'e', 'o'. As I said, there are no long/short--only one pronounciation of each:
A = ah ['A're]
I = e [M'e']
U = ou [Y'ou']
E = E [L'e'ft]
O = O [G'o']

Since this was made in Japan, Kingdom Hearts is correct. Yuffie is pronounced with the Japanese pronounciation of 'Yu': You.

Rengori
12-17-2005, 11:50 PM

Vyk
12-18-2005, 05:38 AM
The problem is, RKumono, how we pronounce those letters. I understand romanization has strict rules. But that's just straight romanization. They should then English-ize it. If you get my meaning. Not to mutilate the original word. But for pronunciation. Because I think pronunciation is more important than how close you spell it to its original language. Because as you can see, spelling it close is going to result in mispronunciation. If there was no writing, and everything was vocal. We would have never said her name wrong in the first place. So yeah, saying it right is better than spelling it right. They should focus on spelling it so it will be pronounced correctly. :D

RKumono
12-19-2005, 12:17 AM
Well, in that case, since I live in Texas, we need to translate Shakespeare into 'Southern Hick'.

After all, "y'all" should make sure it's spoken how I would say it if you're going to perform Hamlet here in Texas. We should take classical English and "Southern-ize" it.

Get the point? You won't change Shakespeare because it was written that way, and it is still spoken that way.
...just as you shouldn't change the way you speak a name in a game.

It came from that language with that pronounciation--and it should stay that way. It was created with a Japanese cultural basis, and should keep it.

It's why so many games have them eating rice and drinking sake. They were made in Japan with a Japanese mindset, and should be left that way. Other games, such as Wild Arms and Valkyrie Profile, were designed to be based on different 'cultures', and thus are pronounced as they would be in those cultures, but Final Fantasy was not. Respect how it was made.

Paninipower123
12-19-2005, 12:31 AM
I pronounce it Yoo-Fee. And plus in Kingdom Hearts they say her name.

Vyk
12-19-2005, 03:13 AM
Shakespear was written in "old english" you don't have to change it to understand it. There's no "translating" it. Merely "updating" it if you took that route. So there is a difference. We don't get romaji in games. It has to actually be translated. So I understand the point you were trying to make, but it's kinda moot

I wasn't saying we should "Americanize" the names. I was saying we should spell them based on our pronunciation, so that they get pronounced the way they pronounce them. Its not sacrilige to want to say it right or anything. The problem is our pronunciation is different from Romaji. And not every gamer knows this. I think they'd like to know how things are pronounced from the start instead of having to get corrected in some follow-up game that actually has spoken dialogue.

I think you misunderstood where I was coming from

As you can see in this thread, the word "yuffie" is going to be pronounced by a lot of people the way a word spelled like that would be pronounced in English pronunciation rules. The Japanese would pronounce it like "Yoofy" therefor it should be spelled that way. Its nothing against them to spell it that way because our spelling has no bearing on (or against) them. They don't spell it "Yuffie" that's how Square made it. They spell it with Hiragana/Katakana symbols. It'd mean nothing to them for us to spell it "Yoofy". But it would mean something to us. It would mean we'd all be pronouncing it the same way they are. The way it should be pronounced. Which sounds like what you want too. So I hope you understand what I"m saying this time. Us, catering to them, based on the limitations of our language.

Zeromus_X
12-19-2005, 03:17 AM
wow, i didnt expect this thread to get so many replies...

(i thought i spelled it wrong..oh well.:p )

yeah, i started playing KH for the first time, and i just about puked when i heard "i'm the great ninja 'yoo-fee'" and "me and 'tee-dus'..."

ew. but it doesnt really matter to me, ill probably get used to them. (i usually do when i find out how to pronounce something the correct way.)

but yeah, why couldnt they spell it so we'd be lead on to saying it the right way? i dunno...(im only a second year japanese student, so...)

so many kanji...though they do make my writing look better. (some of my gana suck. but i can write kana pretty well.)

ack, long reply. i type things as i think of them...i guess thats apparent by now :D

DJZen
12-19-2005, 05:12 AM
The problem is, RKumono, how we pronounce those letters. I understand romanization has strict rules. But that's just straight romanization. They should then English-ize it. If you get my meaning. Not to mutilate the original word. But for pronunciation. Because I think pronunciation is more important than how close you spell it to its original language. Because as you can see, spelling it close is going to result in mispronunciation. If there was no writing, and everything was vocal. We would have never said her name wrong in the first place. So yeah, saying it right is better than spelling it right. They should focus on spelling it so it will be pronounced correctly. :D

I believe the word you were looking for there was anglicize, and they DID do that. In Japanese, a word spelled as yuffie would be pronounced "yoo-fee-eh". However, they didn't spell her name like that in Japanese. If you want to know how her name is meant to be pronounced, watch Advent Children. They clearly say "yoo-fee". Ooops! There goes your argument!

Also, Shakepeare did NOT write in old English. You don't even want to know what old English looks like. It would make you cry trying to read it.

Vyk
12-19-2005, 07:06 PM
My argument didn't go anywhere @_@ Why are people confusing me so bad. Her name is pronounced "yoo-fee". So it should be spelled so that people pronounce it that way. "Yuffie" isn't getting pronounced that way. People don't realize the U is supposed to be long. So spell it a way that people realize that's how it's pronounced. If anglicize is the word I want, then it wasn't anglicized enough.

Truth
12-19-2005, 07:53 PM
Vyk, it doesn't seem that everyone has been confused on the pronunciation as you have. Personally, I had always pronounced her name correctly, as well as that of chocobos, etc. Tidus I didn't, but that's because I was thinking of Greek influences. Point being, Yuffie's name has a beautiful grammatical form, and I think it should be left. Pronunciation wasn't difficult for at least some people, if not most, apparently (though one of my friends called chocobos co-co-bu-s... I have yet to understand that one.), and if pronunciation guidance is needed, it can be found.

I like Square's use of Romanji for the names, but it would be very helpful if Square-Enix put pronunications on their website or something.

Until then.... we use movies and sounds in games, and get ahold of some Japanese FF fans!

Vyk
12-20-2005, 12:54 AM
Two of which weren't available when the game was released. It had no spoken text in the game, and the movie took 8 years. Who's gonna look up help in pronouncing "Yuffie"? It looks pretty easy to pronounce. I'm not really trying to argue, but I really don't believe most gamers were pronouncing it right. Maybe they should have made a practice of putting pronunciations next to their name in the manuals. And I'm not suggesting changing her name. I'm debating that it should have never been spelled that way to begin with. Then nobody would have ever gotten used to it being that way, so there'd be no getting mad about it being spelled different.

Psychotic
12-20-2005, 03:33 AM
I don't care what Square-Enix say, Yuffie is Yuff-ee, Tidus is Tie-dus and Chocobo is pronounced Choc-o-bo, not cho-co-bow.Agreed. I'm not bothered if it's "wrong", to be these all simply sound better and I'll continue to pronounce them this way. Even if I did want to pronounce them correctly, it'd be pretty hard to change after pronouncing them this way for so many years.

chronic_Maniac
12-20-2005, 05:18 AM
uffe

thats my mistake, but I don't sit there and read to my friends what its saying. So I just make it up and continue my life. I beat the games faster that way.

Ansem/Sephy
12-23-2005, 10:36 PM
YOU-fee . . . Sorry, but they did say it in KH . . .

Paninipower123
12-24-2005, 12:41 AM
Yes they did, which tells us thats its pronounced YOU-FEE.

nik0tine
12-24-2005, 12:44 AM
I pronounce it "yuff-ee" like "yucky". I refuse to pronounce it "yoofie" because that's just dumb. It's the same with Tidus. I refuse to call him "tee-dus". He's lame enough as it is. Give the poor guy a break.

Light Mage
12-24-2005, 01:00 AM
I pronounce it "Yuff-ee" not "You-fee" like Aeris says in Kingdom Hearts.

Yuff-ee!

I also pronounce it "Choc-o-bo" too, as in 'short for chocolate hobo' not "Cho-ko-bo" as in 'short for choking bow'

Choc-o-bo!

apparently (though one of my friends called chocobos co-co-bu-s... I have yet to understand that one.)
Silent "H". Like the greek letter "Kho".

[more edit] Just imagine what the situation would have been like if they originally spelled it "Aerith" - it's the same kinda situation, they spelled Aeris with an "S" as that was how it was *supposed* to be pronounced!
So why didn't they spell Yuffie with just one "F"? Yufie

The Man
12-24-2005, 01:07 AM
I refuse to call him "tee-dus". He's lame enough as it is. Give the poor guy a break.
This man has an incredibly valid point.

Ansem/Sephy
12-24-2005, 04:19 AM
When did they say Tidus' name? I always thought it was TIE-dus . . . wow, that's sad . . .:(

Light Mage
12-24-2005, 11:49 AM
Hmm... Tie-Fa, Tiff-a, Tee-Fa. Which is right?

Ansem/Sephy
12-24-2005, 11:26 PM
It's Tee-FA . . . geez, that one is even in American society . . .

Zeromus_X
12-29-2005, 07:43 AM
When did they say Tidus' name? I always thought it was TIE-dus . . . wow, that's sad . . .:(
i think wakka says it when youre looking for stuff for the raft? or supplies...or something.

ffxfreak93
12-29-2005, 07:52 AM
yoo-fee