PDA

View Full Version : Hosting Services

bipper
12-12-2005, 11:23 PM
Hey guys,

I am looking for a reliable web-host that includes or supports PHP/Mysql, phpBB, and preferably has a control panel. The service is not necesarily for me, but will be mainly used by some people I know, so ease of use is a factor. Of course, cheaper is always better, but I would rather have performance, and a 98% uptime guarantee over a specifically cheap alternative. Any ideas or persoanl likes to throw in there :)

Thanks!
Bipper

Vyk
12-13-2005, 12:21 AM
I use FuitadNET with no troubles. You can choose between two interfaces to interact with it with. It gives you I think 15 MySQL databases minimum. 5 minimum subdomains. 3 minimum gigs. I don't use any of that x_x And that's the cheapest plan. I think their main site is www.fuitadnet.com. Its not the cheapest anymore, but they're still relatively inexpensive and very reliable these days. I joined when they were pretty new and had to live out the days they fixed kinks in the system. But I've had NO trouble with them in months. Excellent bandwidth and very reliable service. But certainly look around. There's plenty of competition these days. Can probably get one heck of a deal somewhere.

Shoeberto
12-13-2005, 12:55 AM
I've used 1and1 for a few years, and their cheapest plan is pretty good. $4.99/mo for 500mb space, 10gb transfer, MySQL/PHP/CGI, and I think you can register domains through them for like $7/year, which is pretty good.

rubah
12-13-2005, 03:11 AM
I'm using host excellence at the moment. the service has been pretty good, even though the cpanel is not. but it's usable. and not horribly expensive.

Dr Unne
12-13-2005, 04:11 AM
http://lunarpages.com I use this. It uses <a href="http://www.cpanel.net/">CPanel</a>, same thing EoFF (used to?) use. You can install phpbb via a click or two. I've never had downtime that wasn't preceded by an email explaining it. Every 6 months or so they seem to double my disk space and bandwidth for free. I've run some very interesting scripts on my site with no problem. I've had it for almost 3 years, I have no plans to switch.

Samuraid
12-13-2005, 06:14 AM
I would tend to stay away from any hosts that don't own their own datacenter and servers.

You can always run a whois or a reverse IP on any hosts to see where their datacenter is.

As for specific hosts...I don't know of many since I've either hosted dedicated or run my own server (doing both at the moment), but a friend of mine is getting shared hosting on www.liquidweb.com and I have nothing but great things to say about their service quality and support. They are a bit more expensive than other hosts though.

bipper
12-13-2005, 01:44 PM
Thanks alot guys :) Exactly what I was looking for, personal reviews of past hosts. I have looked at all of em so far, and they all look decent in my eyes.

I do run a slackware web server (two of em actually) a mud server, and a server for tunneling from work (- shhh )off my dynamic IP address, then use a Dynamic DNS resolution service (no-ip). This all runs of my low speed DSL, and I really do not want more traffic running off em atm :)

Again, thanks alot guys :)

Bipper

Endless
12-13-2005, 04:09 PM
1and1 France currently has a special offer: 2 Gigs of space, 20 Gigs of BW/month, a good number of mail adresses, 10 mysql DBs, a .info domain plus some other stuff, all for the grand price of... *drumrolls* €0.

Yamaneko
12-14-2005, 05:08 AM
http://www.resellerzoom.com/

I use them. I haven't experienced any downtime yet and I pay month to month. They have everything you'll need (except shell access naturally).