PDA

View Full Version : How to make media player run mp4s?

one_winged_angel
12-13-2005, 05:23 PM
Do I need some sort of codec? If so, a name or URL would be appreciated ;)

Mirage
12-13-2005, 05:30 PM
Not entirely sure, but you could try this: http://www.free-codecs.com/download/3ivx.htm

one_winged_angel
12-13-2005, 06:52 PM
Thanks, that seems to have done the trick. I had 3ivx installed on my pc before but I reformatted recently and completely forgot about it :laughing:

Thanks again! :D

Vyk
12-13-2005, 07:26 PM
GLad that worked for you. I just had the same problem 2 days ago, and went to that site and got the codec. Which really didn't change anything. Winamp and WMP still couldn't play an MP4 video. Did you just need sound or something? I had to get VLC player (which in itself isn't such a bad thing) to run an MP4. And of course it didn't need an extra codec, 'cause it owns.

rubah
12-13-2005, 10:39 PM
Use itunes to convert to another format?

crono_logical
12-13-2005, 11:17 PM
Aww, I was too slow to point another user in the direction of CCCP :p

You need a directshow mp4 splitter installed (comes in CCCP :D ) if you want directshow players like media player/winamp to play such files :p

I'd only convert format if you're happy with degrading the quality slightly :p

rubah
12-13-2005, 11:30 PM
Or if you want to play it on external devices

one_winged_angel
12-13-2005, 11:47 PM
Thanks, I used to use winamp and it played them fine but the sound quality was terrible... God knows why I have an album in mp4 format anyway, but winamp broke.... It played the first track and then just locked up and cried as soon as the second came on every time I tried to play something, so I just decided to use mplayer...But mplayer just plain refused to run mp4 files. I got VLC because it does run absolutely ANYTHING but it doesn't have a very good playlist system so it makes playing an album much more hassle... I have BSplayer aswell which I think is better for watching videos and I didn't try running it on that because I just think it's much easier to run all my music from one player and mplayer is just nicer to use... I thought about converting them all but loss of quality is never fun, it would take ages to convert an 18 track album and apparently it's illegal to make a file converter for free... Well that's what my last converter told me anyway, it sounds like bull if you ask me... Well anyway, thanks again!

EDIT: It doesn't actually seem to be working flawlessly... mplayer now runs mp4 files but they won't like add to the media library... I assume it's because they're usually video files but is there anything I can do about it?