PDA

View Full Version : Dragon Quest VIII

Kamiko
12-13-2005, 07:27 PM
Was this game any good?
I'm mainly buying it for the FF XII download involved in the process but I don't want a sucky game...

Necronopticous
12-13-2005, 07:35 PM
Yes, it's surprisingly good.

It is a little convoluted at some points but beside that it is definately the most accessible and generally enjoyable game in the series in my opinion. Beautiful graphics and Akira Toriyama's awesome character designs don't hurt, either.

Kamiko
12-13-2005, 07:40 PM
Thank you very much! Glad I didn't waste money then!

crazymoronx
12-14-2005, 05:22 PM
I don't see how a Dragon Quest game was "surprisingly" good... if anything it's expected to be great.

Anyway.. I haven't played the whole thing, but so far it's great.

It has issues though, don't be fooled.

Unskipable text. This might not seem like much, but you try bringing a couple people back to life, making stuff in the alchemy pot, and saving your game, and you'll quickly be frustrated.

Loading times can be a pain at times. Especially when boarding the ship.

Other than those minor points, it's great so far.

RSL
12-14-2005, 05:48 PM
Kamiko, I really enjoy the game. I have to warn you about a few things though. It's quite a bit harder than your average final fantasy game. There are times where you're going to have to stop and just level up for quite some time. Levelling up takes quite awhile and is essential to progressing in the game. Also, it is essential to get all the best equipment each time you have the opportunity. However, you rarely if ever had enough gold on you to upgrade everyone, even if you sell all the old stuff (and a lot of times, you don't want to sell the stuff because you can use it in the alchemy pot.)

I think it's a great, great game, but it's definitely an "old-school" RPG. I think that is one of the things that makes this game great, but some people can be turned off by that.

For the record, I bought the game because of the game, not the demo that came with it. I tried the demo and I absolutely hated it. I mailed it off to rubah so she could try it out. She seemed to like it. So it really all depends on personal taste.

Havoc
12-14-2005, 06:07 PM
Is DQVIII better if you have the Slime Controller with it?

RSL
12-14-2005, 11:28 PM
I doubt it really matters what controller you use.

The Man
12-14-2005, 11:39 PM
The slime controller is so tempting. I'd rather use my money on games I haven't already played, though.

I have this, but my friend still has my PS2. I'll probably get it back next week. Looking forward to it lots; I haven't heard from anyone who's been disappointed yet.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
12-14-2005, 11:44 PM
Kurt Kalata has you covered (http://hg101.classicgaming.gamespy.com/dq8.html).

The Man
12-14-2005, 11:49 PM
haha. I can't say I agree with most of his points, though; the main reason RPGs have been getting marked down lately in reviews is because their story/character development/battle system/everything but the graphics sucks. People who mark RPGs down because they have to level up probably don't really like playing RPGs.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
12-15-2005, 12:03 AM
For the record, I love a good RPG but despise leveling up. More accurately, I despise the (chiefly Japanese) mindset that grinding for hours to improve numbers on a status display is somehow fun in and of itself.

The Man
12-15-2005, 12:21 AM
Ehh. I find that my enjoyment of leveling up is directly proportional to how much I like the characters/battle system.

RSL
12-15-2005, 12:58 AM
I don't mind levelling up to a point. Sometimes it feels a bit excessive in this game.

The Last Ancient
12-15-2005, 07:49 PM
I thought it started off great, interesting characters and stories, and got lost and never found itself again.

Kamiko
12-16-2005, 04:33 PM
I'm a bit of a graphics addict so that's why I was worried in the first place.

RSL
12-16-2005, 05:42 PM
The graphics are quite good, in my opinion.

Dreddz
12-16-2005, 06:44 PM
The art style is similer to Dark Chronicle, Thats good by the way ....

Dignified Pauper
12-16-2005, 09:12 PM
This game, I feel, is slightly a step back in the Dragon Quest series. So far, IV is still my favorite (curses the fact that the PS Remake wasn't released.) I am saddened that there is not job system, but also happy. I have 119 hours in DQVII and still cannot beat it because job leveling takes for ages. This is sort of a good thing about DQVIII but I wish they wouldn't have taken away jobs, but rather just changed how you gained skills, or made it slightly easier. This one seems very straight forward. The world seems a little too big though. Finding those out of the way treasure chests on the world map is a bit tedious and time consuming, and most aren't even worth the find.

The alchemy pot is nice, and it's good that you can't abuse it to get rich quick. It takes time for recipes to finish themselves, and you can only access it via the carriage. This is a nice touch when you need some extra cash and have the time to wait around and battle. I really don't like the time it takes to level, but considering it's like all dragon quests, I'm okay with it.

The character design is really nice. Cell Shading is definitely the greatest thing to come graphically since 2-D.

The number of skills were toned down a lot as well. There aren't so many useless and overlapping skills that were presented in DQVI and DQVII. This is a good thing.

Well, with those things said, I dunno if you'll like it. You seem a little fixated on the wrong things about gameplay, but regardless, it's a good game.

crazybayman
12-17-2005, 04:47 PM
This is a great game, however, as mentioned earlier, the necessary levelling and money saving is a bit excessive.

As well, I've found the music to get a bit annoying at times. That same old la-ti-da classical music, playing for hours non-stop, because your exploring some town, or trying to level up becomes annoying. I even gave this game a break, and started a quest in FFVII!

Those few negatives aside, it is a great game, with great graphics (and this is coming from someone who really does not care for anime, or cartoons, as I call it :p ). As well, the battle system is great, with not too many different useless skills as found in games like FFIX. The idea of having a few different types of weapons that each character is capable of using, like the sword, spear and boomerang that the hero is capable of weilding is a nice change.

The alchemy pot is a neat idea. However its only flaw is that there seems to be SO many different weapons, armour and items that can go in the pot for so many potential recipes, very few of which I actually know about. I therefore keep holding onto weapons, armour and items (that I could otherwise sell) in hopes of creating a powerful weapon, only to find that my resulting concoction is mediocre, at best sometimes. This always makes for a dissapointing result to a recipe.

That said, its great game. A very good RPG, with a good storyline, so far. Definitely worth buying. There's loads to explore in each town, village or castle, and on the world map. Everything is to scale too, so that you're actually running through trees that tower over you as you run beside each tree trunk, and when you come to a town, it is to scale, with the buildings towering over you, instead of you looking bigger than the town.

The monster arena seems to be a good sidequest too, even though I still haven't finished that one.

DJZen
12-17-2005, 06:56 PM
People can be quite silly when it comes to their RPG tastes.

Take Final Fantasy X. There is literally no way you can possibly lose to the final boss. Yu Yevon is so easy that I managed to OHK him WITHOUT having break damage limit. That's just silly. Final Fantasy VI is the same way. The game has a reputation for being laughably easy. So naturally, people complain that you're being over-rewarded.

So then when people play games like Dragon Quest VIII, they criticize it for not spoiling you enough. Sure, the graphics, music, story, characters, voice acting, combat system, translation and pretty much everything else are top notch, but having to level up? In an RPG? THIS GAME IS TERRIBLE!

Dragon Quest has always made you level up a lot. The theory is that you're NOT playing with a strategy guide, and just exploring on your own. Because of this, the challenge isn't in the levelling up itself, it's in seeing if you've levelled up enough for the next boss or not. And unlike in Final Fantasy, you DON'T get a game over when you're defeated in combat. That's right, the game actually continues. They might as well put a "keep trying! almost there!" sign on the churches.

But oh well, people will have their own taste in games, no matter how much those tastes perplex me.

RSL
12-17-2005, 07:57 PM
Sure, the graphics, music, story, characters, voice acting, combat system, translation and pretty much everything else are top notch, but having to level up? In an RPG? THIS GAME IS TERRIBLE!

I absolutely love this game, though I'm not always fond of constant levelling. For instance, at 48 hours I just got to a new town and can't afford even one new item at the weapon/armor shop. I'm in for a bit of fighting. Yay. But I still love this game.

The alchemy pot is a neat idea. However its only flaw is that there seems to be SO many different weapons, armour and items that can go in the pot for so many potential recipes, very few of which I actually know about. I therefore keep holding onto weapons, armour and items (that I could otherwise sell) in hopes of creating a powerful weapon, only to find that my resulting concoction is mediocre, at best sometimes. This always makes for a dissapointing result to a recipe.

Yeah. The alchemy pot is definintely cool, but I agree. I don't use a strategy guide or FAQ for an RPG usually (well, not on the first play through at least) but I have found myself looking at an alchemy pot FAQ to see if it's worth my time to hold on to certain items.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
12-17-2005, 08:23 PM
Take Final Fantasy X. There is literally no way you can possibly lose to the final boss. Yu Yevon is so easy that I managed to OHK him WITHOUT having break damage limit. That's just silly.Braska's Final Aeon is the real last boss of FFX; Yu Yevon is just a storyline battle. You may as well make the same complaint of the shirtless Sephiroth battle at the end of FFVII.

The Man
12-18-2005, 04:02 AM
It also stands to point out that FFVI didn’t give you a game-over when you were defeated, either. But I agree that I have a hard time taking the people who complain about difficulty seriously. It’s a Dragon Quest game, it’s not supposed to be easy.

~SapphireStar~
12-18-2005, 05:35 PM
Ive been told that there is going to be a UK release sometime next year!
I cant wait!

SuperPac
12-24-2005, 02:07 AM
My thoughts about the game:

The story is far too simplistic. I mean, I'm not expecting some FFVII type complex story, and unless there's far more coming that I'm not seeing, it thus far hasn't done anything to make me even CARE what's happening. Chase Dhoulmagus, find out he caused some problems and left, chase Dhoulmagus... what's so special about this story, other than that it's so sound? Yeah, there are some intriguing things, but if this were a book... I would have stopped reading it long ago.

Leveling and money, yes, a problem, but not as big a deal as some people make it out to be. I spent my time leveling also exploring, trying to get all the chests around me, and generally seeing every part of the world. Yes, it took a long time to level, but by the time I was finished exploring, I had leveled up to a point that it was really necessary to do anymore. I think this is so incredibly balanced that, if you play the game the way they intended (at least, I assume that's what they intended), it's not a big deal. Then again, I NEVER have enough money, so that part's a complaint...

The alchemy pot is cool, but not enough combinations. It's hard finding stuff that works! It has to be so precise, too... Dagger+boomerang, NOT sharp dagger+boomerang... It doesn't make sense to me.

Graphics = Teh Awesome

Gameplay = Teh Awesome

Difficulty = Perfect

Skill system = Good

I love the sidequests, and I absolutely adore how large the world is. I want plenty of sidequests and plenty to explore, and this game delivers.

Overall (thus far), I give this game a 8/10. Good stuffages!

Paninipower123
12-24-2005, 02:14 AM
I think that they should not have revealed that Yorde is the king sooo early in the game. And then we go to different places and something bad happens and the guys go "i wonder who did it!!???" And everytime its Dhoulmagus. Very unsuspenseful.

TurkSlayer
12-24-2005, 03:07 AM
I've been playing this game for most of the week, and I must say I love it. Characters, graphics, battle system, all great. True, the storyline is anything special yet, but I have a feeling that there will be something deeper. Particularly since it appears that Dhoulmagus needs certain people to gain power. I also wonder how the hero survived the curse. These questions and more...

I don't actually mind the leveling, though I have a feeling that I'm a bit underleveled at this point, as my characters have been dying more often than usual. BTW, I've just gotten passed the point where you obtain your boat.

So yeah, at this point, I'm giving it a 7.5-8/10. I'll need to get further to make an official decision.

Paninipower123
12-24-2005, 03:29 AM
Oh my god. I alwazs thought that Dhoulmagus wore a blueish blackish costume but its actually redish and purple!!! WTF?!!! This villan is gay!

http://www.dqshrine.com/dq/dq8/dq8-26.jpg

Does that look like evil to you?

TurkSlayer
12-24-2005, 03:33 AM
Oh my god. I alwazs thought that Dhoulmagus wore a blueish blackish costume but its actually redish and purple!!! WTF?!!! This villan is gay!

http://www.dqshrine.com/dq/dq8/dq8-26.jpg

Does that look like evil to you?
Is this a trick question?

Paninipower123
12-24-2005, 05:03 AM
Does that look like some bad a$$ evil person? -_-

TurkSlayer
12-24-2005, 05:13 AM
Does that look like some bad a$$ evil person? -_-

No. But then neither did Seymour or Kefka.

Dignified Pauper
12-24-2005, 06:44 AM
Clowns and Jesters are the scariest villains. You shut your mouth.

Also, this game is getting better the farther I get into. But I'm getting crap for skill points between levels 20-23. I've decided to just make my characters specialize in skills rather than spread them out.

Dhoulmagus Is not really himself. He keeps saying he needs to find a new host, so I don't think that the jester is the main villain, but rather he is possessed. I'm not far enough to advance. I'm currently obtaining the mirror to get into the Dark Ruins.

The game is a lot like the former dragon quests, though, I still think the world is too large. Especially with the boat. I hate going around finding those small unmarked islands. I can't wait to get my flying ride so that I can check everything without these pesky encounters that hinder me.

Regardless, it's what I expect from a DQ storyline. Anyone expecting anything better hasn't played DQ since DQ4. They're pretty much meager to it, all though this one does attempt to give its characters backstories. I have a feeling the main character originally came from the castle that I am at now (forgot its name)

Anways, I like it a lot.

TurkSlayer
12-24-2005, 03:43 PM
Also, this game is getting better the farther I get into. But I'm getting crap for skill points between levels 20-23. I've decided to just make my characters specialize in skills rather than spread them out.

I'm currently at level 21, and your right, they're crap. Except for the hero. His are slightly better than what the were at the beginning. Before he was getting about 2-3 skill points a level. Now he gets 5. It's not much, but it's better.

Paninipower123
12-24-2005, 04:33 PM
Alright. My apologies.

RSL
12-25-2005, 02:25 PM
I can't wait to get my flying ride so that I can check everything without these pesky encounters that hinder me.

The flying is cool, but also really hard to land where you want. And there are a lot of places that you can only get to by air so it's kind of annoying. It just takes time to get used to, I guess.

I'm currently at level 21, and your right, they're crap. Except for the hero. His are slightly better than what the were at the beginning. Before he was getting about 2-3 skill points a level. Now he gets 5. It's not much, but it's better.

It picks up later on. I'm around level 38 with everyone and they are usually getting 8+ skill points per level.

It's worth noting that I have 65 hours logged in this game and I still haven't beaten it. And I don't really think I'm poking around too much. It's just that long. And I'm still loving it.

Kamiko
12-25-2005, 11:24 PM
I just got it and I must say I'm a bit addicted even though I'm skeptical of the storyline at the moment. The gameplay is enjoyable and familiar because it's so much like the PS Final Fantasy. I like it alot and I'm glad I bought it.
(Frankly the demo wasn't worth it)

Dignified Pauper
12-26-2005, 03:24 AM
Yea, in DQ7 i have about 115 hours in it and still have not beaten it. DQ games are just long.

Kamiko
12-26-2005, 07:19 PM
It doesn't really seem that long frankly.
I have no sense of direction which is beginning to materialize itself in the game, seeing as I get lost every 10 minutes.

crazybayman
12-29-2005, 03:38 PM
Just past the 100 hr mark here, and still not finished. Although, I suspect its getting close, and I did do a few sidequests, and I continously fiddle around, levelling, saving money, and messing with the alchemy pot. I'm usually in no rush to run into some dungeon/cavern that will take me 2 hrs to complete alone. That's typical of me just taking my time being a slowpoke with any rpg.

The flying is neat, but yes it is awkward when trying to land, and it seems to be slow going while flying. Not at all like zipping back and forth the world map in most FFs. But I guess that makes it somewhat realistic. But then again there's chimera wings and the zoom spell to help with that.

Zeromus_X
12-29-2005, 04:49 PM
oh i had no clue this was here. (then again theres a mountain of threads at EoFF...)

ive only gotten to the part where trodes horse gets stolen...yeah, i know, not very far, but i did get the game about two days ago. (ive been playing it nonstop) DQ games are so much fun! (although the ffXII demo wasnt too hot.)

i usually spend ability points on each characters special skill. (courage, humanity, sex appeal, charisma...) they seem to learn spells alot this way.

im glad the game is so long (im also not using a guide, unless i get stuck, like when i had to find medea; it happens...), because its so fun!

:choc2: does anyone actually have the slime controller (anyone at this forum) ? that thing is ridiculously adorable:p

Kamiko
12-30-2005, 04:54 AM
Yeah I'm still at Trode's horse.
I'm also quite bored with it at the moment. The World Map Sucks all night.
I'll probably go back to it before school starts next week.

Dignified Pauper
12-30-2005, 08:35 AM
I really don't know why that the tracks aren't the orchestrated versions rather than the synthesized ones. It's rather upsetting.

Kamiko
12-31-2005, 12:53 AM
I don't know but I'm getting tired of trying to talk to my party members and they never say anything specific.
Like last night I shut off my game and when I woke up I forgot which direction to go in and all they'd say is completely pointless nonsense. I thought these people were supposed to help. :(

(And Angelo needs to come out of the closet)

Sweet Beloved
12-31-2005, 03:20 AM
I think Jessica is annoying. And her shirt....isn't child friendly. XD I hate it in the game when you get totally lost and ur party members aren't any help. And I'm STUCK casue I can't find that woman Red's house. {Need's help} XD!

Paninipower123
12-31-2005, 06:35 AM
West of Pickham. In the middle of a small lake (look at your map for help).

I just got to the final boss recently and there are still some questions that need answering. But overall the storyline has gotten much better and interesting.

I just don't understand Marcello...

Zeromus_X
12-31-2005, 06:36 AM
its in the middle of a lake. just look on the map, its south west from pickham.

im trying to beat the boss in the dungeon near there...

"Trap Box attacked desperately! Does 90 damage to Yangus! Yangus has died!"

it seems to do that more when i try tensing up; i really only use it during boss fights.

but the most hilarious statement ever made was when a witch tried puff-puffing jessica.

"Witch A used the Puff-Puff on Jessica!"

*PUFF*PUFF*PUFF*PUFF*

"It has no effect! Jessica smiles having won the battle of the bulges!"

i am not kidding; this is pretty much what it said. i could not stop laughing when i read it:D :p

Paninipower123
12-31-2005, 06:49 AM
Whoa, thats funny! :D

You just need some luck with Trap Box.

Zeromus_X
12-31-2005, 06:54 AM
yeah, some DQ bosses actually need luck to beat:p

*has fond memories of the enemy not attacking and actually getting to heal in DQ II or something*...

Paninipower123
12-31-2005, 07:02 AM
I can't get the image of Jessica in a bikini out of my head...

Zeromus_X
12-31-2005, 07:19 AM
quite understandable:D

...although whenever i imagine her, its without a bikini:tongue:

you ever notice, they bounce when she casts a spell :D

Paninipower123
12-31-2005, 10:30 PM
Or when she runs...

(but seriously you can get a armor for Jessica that is a bikini)

Zeromus_X
12-31-2005, 11:28 PM
i bought the dancer's dress for her...interesting how something so loose-fitting raises her defense...

i havent gotten 28 medals yet, but minnie says she'll give you a "fishnet dress" or something..:D

i recall her saying (when you talk to your party)

"oh look at this new dress i got! it isnt too revealing is it?"

*yangus and angelo look the other way, while yangus picks his nose*...

some parts of this game are just too funny:p

maybe jessica is why the game is rated t for teen...:choc2:

Kamiko
12-31-2005, 11:37 PM
Probably. They don't get much bigger than that.

Paninipower123
12-31-2005, 11:48 PM
This the definition for Jessicas Dangerous Bustier Outfit:

You'll understand where the danger comes from when Jessica wears it. Rrrrrow!

Zeromus_X
01-01-2006, 02:36 AM
okay, it happened again, and this is exactly what it said:

"Witch tries her best Puff-Puff on Jessica!"

*PUFF-PUFF* *PUFF-PUFF*

"It has no effect!"

"Jessica smiles triumphantly, having won the battle of the bulges!":D :choc2: