PDA

View Full Version : Which is the better system? SNES or GBA?

Crossblades
12-13-2005, 07:42 PM
I thought it'd be fun if we compared these two. Let's take a look at the cool SNES games

SNES

Final Fantasy Mystic Quest
Chrono Trigger
Secret of Mana
Tactics Ogre
Earthbound
Super Mario RPG
Mega Man X 1, 2, 3
Mega Man VII
Mega Man Soccer
Star Ocean
Battletoads
Battletoads/Double dragon
Secret of Evermore
Secret of Mana
Sparkster
Super Mario Kart
F-Zero
Super Punch Out
Star Fox
Ninja Warriors
Super Metroid
Lufia I and II

Now let's look at the cool GBA games

GBA

Final Fantasy Tactics Advance
Final Fantasy I and II DoS
Golden Sun 1 and 2
Lunar Legend
Shining Soul 1 and 2
Shining Force :ROTDD
Mega Man Battle Network 1-6
Mega Man Anniversary Collection(the one with the GB games)
Mega Man and Bass
Sonic Advance 1-3
Iridion 3D
Dynasty Warriors
Zelda The Minish Cap
Metroid Fusion
Metroid Zero Mission
Mario and Luigi Superstar Saga
Lufia Legend Returns
Sword of Mana

Now let's see what both systems have, despite the GBA versions having more stuff than their SNES counterparts and some of these games haven't been released yet

SNES&GBA

Final Fantasy IV Advance
Final Fantasy V Advance
Final Fantasy VI Advance
Tales of Phantasia(yes it is coming to the US)
Super Mario Bros.1-3
Super Mario World
Yoshi's Island
Donkey Kong Country 1-3
Breath of fire 1 and 2
Zelda A Link to the Past
Super Street Fighter II Turbo

So after making a quick analysis, which is the better system?

Necronopticous
12-13-2005, 07:47 PM
The Super Nintendo was probably the best all-around gaming console in history, it's hard to beat.

Dreddz
12-13-2005, 07:52 PM
You seem to mainly point out RPG's on the systems, which is ok cause thats the only games I actually play or have played on these systems.
SNES was better, even though I never owned one, my nanny used too. In which i played Mario a little too much, and FFVI ;)
I have a SNES controller in my PC with my ROMS, I dunno if that counts as me having one, but I can play the games as they should be.
GBA is worn out, I think DS pretty much should be Nintendos priority, who still plays there GBA anyway....

Flying Mullet
12-13-2005, 07:55 PM
My only gripe about the SNES games that come out on GBA is that the sound is pathetic.

here for a limited time
12-13-2005, 08:41 PM
doesnt matter

Craig
12-13-2005, 08:48 PM
I'm gonna go ahead and say you missed Super Bomberman and ActRaiser from the SNES list. Oh, and Mortal Kombat 2 aswell, simply because of that guy who busts in through the bottom right of your screen when you uppercut someone.

I love the SNES. My sister is currently borrowing mine.

Flying Mullet
12-13-2005, 09:32 PM
Was Mortal Kombat II edited for the SNES edited as well? I can't remember if it was just the first one that was edited.

Nick Schovitz
12-13-2005, 09:47 PM
yeah snes, they don't put out the really good SNES games for GBA, they need Kirby Superstar and Super Mario RpG, remember Street Fighter II?

Dreddz
12-13-2005, 10:16 PM
I remember Street Fighter 2, was one of the harder street fighters, and on the Remake, Akuma is near impossible ....

Tempest
12-13-2005, 10:22 PM
SNES is one of the best systems ever so I vote for that. I remember being so peeved when Square went over to Sony and left Nintendo. Got over that quickly, though.

Markus. D
12-14-2005, 12:17 AM
thats unfair, compareing GBA to Snes.

Snes :)

Crossblades
12-14-2005, 03:03 AM
Poor GBA is losing

crazymoronx
12-14-2005, 06:06 PM
The SNES is the ultimate Console of all time. This is, or should be at least, common knowledge.

It had the best games ever made.

GBA has some of the same games, but they are remakes. SNES is the original.

The only thing GBA really holds over SNES is Castlevania. SNES had one, but it was a subpar port of that really great game everyone wanted.

Castlevania, while a great series, can't hold a candle to SNES though.

Super Metroid alone would wipe the floor with most of the GBA games. No need to call upon FFVI, Chrono Trigger, Seiken Densetsu III, Romancing Saga III, Star Ocean, or things of that nature, it would be total overkill.

Even the emulation scene favors SNES. Most of the translations are SNES, GBA has barely any... ZSNES > VBA. But I won't go into specifics...

GBA can't even compete with PSX, which is still inferior to SNES, even though it was a great console.

GBA has nothing on PS2 either, which STILL is inferior to SNES, even though it's giong strong, and still has a bright future. It might outshine SNES some day, but I seriously, seriously doubt that.

In the world of gaming, SNES is god.

Yuffie514
12-15-2005, 05:09 PM
-SNES-
Final Fantasy Mystic Quest
Chrono Trigger
Secret of Mana
Super Mario RPG
Star Ocean
The Legend of Gaia
Battletoads
Super Mario Kart
Ninja Warriors
Lufia I and II
Zelda: A Link To The Past

-GBA-
Final Fantasy Tactics Advance
Final Fantasy I and II DoS
Lunar Legend
Shining Soul I and II
Zelda: The Minish Cap
Mario and Luigi Superstar Saga
Lufia Legend Returns

i enjoyed a lot of games with the SNES, and you did miss Zelda: A Link To The Past there . but i really have some major success in games with the GBA/SP ([I]Final Fantasy Tactics Advance).

Reine
12-15-2005, 08:34 PM
Ive only played a real SNES once or twice, so my vote goes to the GBA (And yes, I still play it!)

Mo-Nercy
12-15-2005, 08:53 PM
I emulate both. I love both. (Obviously not enough to actually buy the systems though xD)

For me SNES vs. GBA equates to Chrono Trigger vs. Golden Sun 1/2.

It's really tough to green light one as the better one because both games are just so much better than any other console RPG I've played.

In the end I'll go with CT, which means I love SNES more.

Reine
12-15-2005, 09:11 PM
THey should do a Chrono Trigger Advance, since their porting all the SNES FF games (Except MQ) Although FFMQ, Star Ocean and Bahamut Laggon would ROCK on GBA with new stuff and the like. Hmm, the Seiken Densetsu series as well!

Madame Adequate
12-15-2005, 11:36 PM
The one that Sega made.

Genesis.

You Americans screwed yourselves by not going in for that jazz.

Of those two, SNES, easily. Chrono Trigger alone seals it, there's few things that can match and fewer still on consoles.

Venom
12-15-2005, 11:42 PM
I cant decide which.

ZeZipster
12-15-2005, 11:43 PM
I was 8ish I guess when I was playing SNES, so I'm wholeheartedly biased. Seriously I can't even begin to describe the things that rush back to me when I pick up a snes controller. I'm not even going to answer, it's obvious that the GBA has higher quality equipment and games, yet I still love the SNES to death.

Crossblades
12-16-2005, 03:05 AM
i enjoyed a lot of games with the SNES, and you did miss Zelda: A Link To The Past there

No I didn't

KentaRawr!
12-16-2005, 03:25 AM
I am having the most fun with my GBA right now. But the SNES had some really great classics. Such as the Final Fantasy games, Chrono Trigger, Radical Dreamers (Well I liked it.), The Legend of Zelda: A link to the past, Street Fighter 2, Seiken Densetsu 3, Secret of Mana, Super Metroid, Super Mario World, Super Mario: All Stars, F-Zero, And that one racing game I forgot the name of. >_>

It's hard for me to say which is better. I am having alot of fun with my GBA, but the SNES... Holy crud it rocks. But I haven't used it in a looooooooooooooooooooooooong time... Why didn't you include a "Can't decide." vote!?

MoonsEcho
12-16-2005, 05:08 AM
This shouldn't even be a contest.

SNES, hands down. Is there any other option, really?

Neco Arc
12-16-2005, 11:40 AM
Of course its the SNES... though you did miss out the soul blazer trilogy and Contra 3...

Skarr
12-25-2005, 06:12 PM
I like em both...SNES has my heart...but I like my pokemon games to death.

ff7+ff10 gurl 100
12-25-2005, 06:14 PM
SNES is :heart:

Vaprice
12-25-2005, 07:38 PM
It depends on what kinds of thing's your into. Did anyone else mention that Poke'mon is for the GBA? And how much money they Poke'mon take from your expense? A LOT!!!
I'd still say that the SNES is the one for me.

kikimm
12-25-2005, 10:17 PM
I don't think the SNES is the best thing to ever happen to me, but it's a hell of a lot better than the GBA. I can't stand handhelds.

And the games are better anyways!

Nightmare X
12-25-2005, 10:51 PM
SNES, hands down.

This console is living proof that fancy graphics and eyecandy don't make a game, gameplay does, which is something most mainstream losers don't get.

crashNUMBERS
12-27-2005, 05:49 PM
Snes. Like what Necro said, it's one of the best consoles ever. But to me it's just one of them. Not 'THE' best...

Fire_Emblem776
12-27-2005, 07:22 PM
bust a move! Oh man i loved it for snes!
Tetris attack! :)
Zelda shame on your for not listing Link to the past!

SNES, hands down.

This console is living proof that fancy graphics and eyecandy don't make a game, gameplay does, which is something most mainstream losers don't get.