PDA

View Full Version : Let's play What are the Religious groups mad at THIS month!

yingyang
12-14-2005, 05:03 AM
I assume most of you have heard about the recent 'controversy' over department stores replacing 'Merry Christmas' with 'Happy Holidays'. Also, most public services must now say 'Happy Holidays' or name things 'Holiday trees' instead of 'Christmas Trees'.

Religious groups are complaining that this is either damaging the 'moral fabric' of society or that it's been used for so long it won't hurt anyone saying it.
However, if words don't hurt anyone, why are they so uptight about people saying Happy Holidays?

Are people over-reacting? Are the religious groups being to sensitive to this? Or do you think it's fair that we should include all religiouns in one simple and easy saying?

Hawkeye
12-14-2005, 05:05 AM
To hell with everybody really. If you want to say something really, whether happy holidays or merry xmas, I dont give a rats ass. If you want it a certain way, change it. If you cant change it, change your attitude. Dont complain.

nik0tine
12-14-2005, 05:08 AM
'Holiday trees'LOL!

DK
12-14-2005, 05:09 AM
I'm not entirely sure what the fuss is all about, to be honest. As far as I can tell, Christmas itself is the celebration of the birth of christ according to the Christian relegion. Why shouldn't it be "Merry Christmas"? I don't recall Sikh's being made to say "Happy Holidays!" During Diwali, or other similar things. So yeah. It's pretty much beyond me.

yingyang
12-14-2005, 05:22 AM
Wasn't it said though that Jesus was actually born in April.. not December.. that Xmas is actually a pagan holiday or something?

haha.. Nickotine is anti establishment. :)

Raistlin
12-14-2005, 05:24 AM
There's an official federal holiday named "Christmas." Every single store in the nation has Christmas sales. Many non-religious people celebrate Christmas in the US (I celebrate it and I'm an atheist). I think it should just be simply "Merry Christmas" simply because it isn't a religious holiday - although religious people are free to celebrate it as one. The rest of the nation doesn't have to.

EDIT:

Wasn't it said though that Jesus was actually born in April.. not December.. that Xmas is actually a pagan holiday or something?
Most Christian holidays are based off of pagan holidays, such as Easter. Bunnies and eggs were the symbols of the common pagan spring celebration of fertility.

yingyang
12-14-2005, 05:28 AM
Though so...

posers

nik0tine
12-14-2005, 06:03 AM
haha.. Nickotine is anti establishment. :)
..what? :confused:

Rase
12-14-2005, 06:31 AM
Well, I'm a Christian and I don't really care about the whole "happy holidays" thing to be "politically correct" or whatever. As for calling things that obviously pretain to Christmas "Holiday" whatevers, well, that just seems stupid to me. If you're not celebrating Christmas, why the heck are you buying a Christmas tree?

Leeza
12-14-2005, 06:44 AM
Much as I really hate agreeing with Raistlin...I agree with Raistlin. :cat:

Markus. D
12-14-2005, 06:45 AM
I assume most of you have heard about the recent 'controversy' over department stores replacing 'Merry Christmas' with 'Happy Holidays'. Also, most public services must now say 'Happy Holidays' or name things 'Holiday trees' instead of 'Christmas Trees'.

Religious groups are complaining that this is either damaging the 'moral fabric' of society or that it's been used for so long it won't hurt anyone saying it.
However, if words don't hurt anyone, why are they so uptight about people saying Happy Holidays?

Are people over-reacting? Are the religious groups being to sensitive to this? Or do you think it's fair that we should include all religiouns in one simple and easy saying?

It is an important holiday.... I hope the people who changed it to that, dies soon.

DMKA
12-14-2005, 07:00 AM
Much as I really hate agreeing with Raistlin...
That's racist.

escobert
12-14-2005, 06:31 PM
It's the biggest holiday in well basically a christian society. GET OVER IT. there's gonna be christmas stuff places. people need to stfu. :D

The Man
12-14-2005, 06:46 PM
Much as I really hate agreeing with Raistlin...I agree with Raistlin. :cat:quoted for truth. Although I'd probably feel differently if I had been raised Jewish, Muslim, or Hindu, but as a Christian-turned-atheist, I really can't say that I mind.

That said, the "War on Christmas" spin from the right is beyond retarded.

That's racist.RAISTLIN IS NOT A RACE :mad2:

ScottNUMBERS
12-14-2005, 06:48 PM
Some religious groups sux.

KentaRawr!
12-14-2005, 06:56 PM
Well, it does make sense to say "Happy Holidays", since there are multiple holidays in this month, but "Holiday Trees"? :erm:

bennator
12-14-2005, 07:12 PM
Maybe it's just me, but I thought "happy holidays" was started along time ago, to also include New Years, considering New Year's is like a week after christmas...and you don't see most people often enough to wish them happiness for both.

Zante
12-14-2005, 07:39 PM
I'm no christian, but I still think it's silly. Christmass isn't a religious holiday anymore (for most) anyways, so there's no reason to change it. None will make me say holiday tree instead of christmass tree, thats for sure.

Rainecloud
12-14-2005, 07:43 PM
*giggles at the thought of 'Holiday Trees'*

Burn them all, I say. Burn them all.

The Man
12-14-2005, 07:45 PM
*giggles at the thought of 'Holiday Trees'*

Burn them all, I say. Burn them all.Your signature is a beautiful, beautiful thing.

Rye
12-14-2005, 07:46 PM
Holiday tree is SO dumb. I'm an atheist and I'm not pissy about Christmas or Hannukah or Kwanza or whatever. :)

Denmark
12-14-2005, 07:53 PM
That's racist.

*Raist-ist.

yeah this "holiday tree" stuff is just too much. You can't have your way all the time, get over it. Preach tolerance. omfg people sux lo<z>lzolz

Raistlin
12-14-2005, 08:20 PM
Much as I really hate agreeing with Raistlin...I agree with Raistlin. :cat:
:love:

I bet you secretly agree with me all the time. I'd even go so far as to say that you are a closet pimp lover. http://www.eyesonff.com/forums/user/avatar/avatar92_13.gif

DK
12-14-2005, 09:35 PM
:love:

I bet you secretly agree with me all the time. I'd even go so far as to say that you are a closet pimp lover. http://www.eyesonff.com/forums/user/avatar/avatar92_13.gif

http://www.aiyon.com/forums/member.php?u=18

Nothing closet about it. You should post more at Aiyon, Raisin.

Raistlin
12-14-2005, 09:41 PM
I'll do it tomorrow.

Old Manus
12-14-2005, 10:10 PM
That's not Leeza it is an impostor called Azeel

Winter Nights
12-14-2005, 10:23 PM
There's an official federal holiday named "Christmas." Every single store in the nation has Christmas sales. Many non-religious people celebrate Christmas in the US (I celebrate it and I'm an atheist). I think it should just be simply "Merry Christmas" simply because it isn't a religious holiday - although religious people are free to celebrate it as one. The rest of the nation doesn't have to.
I agree with Raistlin, though the "War on Christmas" is crap.

On the one hand, Christian are but a tiny sect that celebrate Christmas. On the other hand, there are other holidays celebrated in winter, usually by sects that don't celebrate Christmas.

So while I don't think anyone really cares (except, of course, the Christians), I can also see the reasoning behind changing it.

Traitorfish
12-14-2005, 10:31 PM
Happy Holidays is still religous- it means 'Happy Holy Days'. It's as meaningful as Christmas is!

rubah
12-14-2005, 10:32 PM
Obviously someone cared in previous 'holiday' seasons to make the change in the first place.

The 'war' on christmas probably took place ages ago, so it's about time that it gets a reversal going on, and as a christian, I'm rather glad it is ^_^

nik0tine
12-14-2005, 10:35 PM
War on christmas?? Don't make me lol.

Leeza
12-14-2005, 10:53 PM
http://www.aiyon.com/forums/member.php?u=18

Nothing closet about it. You should post more at Aiyon, Raisin.
That is dispicable.

UGAsavage
12-14-2005, 11:08 PM
ok listen poepl who f'in carres what you call it i call it christmas because it celebrates christ and im christian but i think the whole holiday vs xmas is a publicity stunt for noone..its just a story for the news to tell so we dont talk about war on terrorism anymore...no one can change it because they cant fine your ass for saying either one so how can they stop you..yell at you??? ok yell away faggets im still saying christmas and im sure anyone else who wants to will...and if you dont like ti well yell at me and feel better about yourself or like you really did something for your politicaly correct fag friends..im not even hard core christian hell i smoke and play guitar al day but i know what i beleive and now im ramblin on on and on and on because im waiting on my girlfriend to get out of shower to go out to eat with her side of the family she isnt gonna be with on....CHRISTMAS...START YELLIN MWAHAHAA

Leeza
12-15-2005, 02:17 AM
UGAsavage: If I see you use the word <i>fag</i> or <i>faggets</i> in such a way again I will be very angry and you don't want to make me angry.

Winter Nights
12-15-2005, 02:20 AM
She-Hulk? :p

I think people take holidays WAY too seriously. On both sides.

ff7+ff10 gurl 100
12-15-2005, 02:23 AM
Me being 12 people might not even listen to me but i'll say it anyway.
Im Catholic and i really dont care what you say to me it being either Merry Christmas or Happy Holidays or what ever it is you celebrate.As long as your happy with what ur celebrating im happy and its fine with me :).
Not that you need permission of course :p

DK
12-15-2005, 03:48 AM
That is dispicable.

You say that, but your lack of changing it only shows deep down you love the dirty feeling it gives you.

:cool:

Shlup
12-15-2005, 04:04 AM
Bender: Ah! Nothing like a warm fire and a Super Soaker of fine cognac.
Fry: Yeah, it really puts you in the Christmas spirit.
Farnsworth: What-mas?
Fry: Christmas. You know? X-M-A-S.
Leela: Oh, you mean Xmas. You must be using an archaic pronunciation. Like when you say "ask" instead of "aks".

The Man
12-15-2005, 04:12 AM
<3 Futurama

Resha
12-15-2005, 04:13 AM
Although I'd probably feel differently if I had been raised Jewish, Muslim, or Hindu, but as a Christian-turned-atheist, I really can't say that I mind.
Nah, and I can only speak for myself...but I don't think people of other religions in Christian-majority places would be bothered about something like this. If say...it was Merry Christmas in Muslim-majority Pakistan or even India, then they might mind, but since that doesn't really happen anyway, I don't see what the problem is. :O_O:

DMKA
12-15-2005, 05:00 AM
Bender: Ah! Nothing like a warm fire and a Super Soaker of fine cognac.
Fry: Yeah, it really puts you in the Christmas spirit.
Farnsworth: What-mas?
Fry: Christmas. You know? X-M-A-S.
Leela: Oh, you mean Xmas. You must be using an archaic pronunciation. Like when you say "ask" instead of "aks".
Haha I remember that. Brilliant.

Leeza
12-15-2005, 05:23 AM
You say that, but your lack of changing it only shows deep down you love the dirty feeling it gives you.

:cool:
No, I was at work and could not do so, but thank you for reminding for the need to have to go to a site that I rarely frequent and where I will have to try out my full gammot of passwords in order to get logged in so that I may change my theme when Iwill not even be doing any posting.

...and may the person who changed it in the first place roast in ach ee double ell.

yingyang
12-15-2005, 06:19 AM
haha.. i just saw that futurama episode.. hilarious.

I can only think to say that I don't hear of any other religion besides christian-ish religions having tree's.. so I think the trees should still be called Christmas trees.

And I too always said 'Happy Holidays' to include everyone and New Years.

Yeah.. I started the trend before it was popular. You know me...

;)

Giga Guess
12-15-2005, 11:20 PM
Holiday tree is SO dumb. I'm an atheist and I'm not pissy about Christmas or Hannukah or Kwanza or whatever. :)

HAPPY CHRISTMANNAKWANZAA!

Seriously though....I really think there's a group of people meeting in a basement somewhere saying "So what can we get our panties in a twist about this week?"

UGAsavage: If I see you use the word <i>fag</i> or <i>faggets</i> in such a way again I will be very angry and you don't want to make me angry.

NOT if I get him first!

Sasquatch
12-16-2005, 01:16 AM
Why do you think religious groups are mad, when it was the anti-religious groups that came up with such crap as "holiday trees"?

It's dumb. Stupid political correctness "lets go out of our way to never offend anybody, except white male conservative Christians" crap. I'll say "Merry <!--F***in'-->*snip* Christmas", and if you don't like it, kiss my ass.*

*In a figurative sense of the phrase, of course.

Figurative or not, don't go around the filter. I believe you have been already been asked this before. ~ Leeza

EDIT: I don't remember ever "going around the filter" before, and I didn't realize typing only the first letter was equal to typing the entire word, but my mistake. I'll replace or fully type out the two words that are filtered out.

Raistlin
12-16-2005, 04:48 PM
YOU can say Christmas all you want; it's the fact that government and places supported by government can't constitutionally endorse one specific religion over any other. Which would make this a very valid claim, except that Christmas is a federal holiday, and can be federally endorsed without endorsing Christianity. Most Americans don't celebrate Christmas in a religious sense, anyway.

Kamiko
12-16-2005, 04:49 PM
I smacked my friends whenever they said christmas and made them say Rammadan or Hannukah.

Giga Guess
12-16-2005, 06:04 PM
...........Pardon?

Del Snizz
12-16-2005, 06:25 PM
The Bill O'Reillys of the world can express all the righteous indignation they want over this very serious issue. It should be clear, though, that they care nothing for Christmas, not even having noticed that <a href="http://eyesonff.com/forums/showthread.php?t=75061">it's been stolen</a>.

Soon enough, everyone will have no choice but to accept the bland mercantile greeting of "happy holidays", not as the result of any supposed "war on Christmas", but simply because Christmas is gone. Well, unless, of course, these individuals possess the kind of peculiar mental derangement that allows them to deny the utterly obvious and to recognize no boundaries between reality and the fantasy world of their own creation...but since that can't be more than eighty or ninety percent of the population, my brilliant plan remains flawless.

Lord Xehanort
12-16-2005, 11:53 PM
I agree with Holiday tree IF AND ONLY IF THE TREE IN QUESTION IS ON PUBLIC DISPLAY AT AN OFFICIAL BUILDING. Calling it a Christmas Tree can be interpreted as that official establishment favoring the Christian faith.

Let the bible-huggers whine about pine... it gets them off MY back for awhile...

rubah
12-17-2005, 12:24 AM
Pine?

Lord Xehanort
12-17-2005, 12:28 AM
Yes... 'let them whine about pine'. I was being cute and rhyming instead of saying: 'let the complain about the nomenclature of a pine tree decorated for the month of December.'

War Angel
12-17-2005, 12:31 AM
Err, for all those in favour of the term 'holiday trees'... what other holidays beside Christmas actually have trees being decorated and put on display?

Seriously, if they put on a tree and put all sorts of lighty crap on it, might as well call it a Christmas tree, because it's pretty obvious what it is.

Political Correctness is the bane of modern western society.

nik0tine
12-17-2005, 12:36 AM
Pine?

He's talking about Holiday trees.

Edit: Yes, war angel. I absolutely fucking hate political correctness.

Dr Unne
12-17-2005, 12:46 AM
Err, for all those in favour of the term 'holiday trees'... what other holidays beside Christmas actually have trees being decorated and put on display?

<a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saturnalia">Io Saturnalia.</a> However I am not in favor of the term "holiday trees".

War Angel
12-17-2005, 12:58 AM
Yes, war angel. I absolutely smurfing hate political correctness.
Awesome. Can we make racist jokes, dead-baby-jokes and Holocaust jokes now? :D

Dr. Unne - err, thanks for enlightening me on that. Though, I doubt anyone celebrates that, still.

nik0tine
12-17-2005, 01:09 AM
Awesome. Can we make racist jokes, dead-baby-jokes and Holocaust jokes now?Of course! Those are the best jokes around anyhow. :D
..well, maybe not dead baby jokes, but only because those just make me feel sick. :p

War Angel
12-17-2005, 01:22 AM
..well, maybe not dead baby jokes, but only because those just make me feel sick.
YOU FECKING HYPOCRITE! :mad2:

rubah
12-17-2005, 06:27 AM
Yes... 'let them whine about pine'. I was being cute and rhyming instead of saying: 'let the complain about the nomenclature of a pine tree decorated for the month of December.'
We use cedar trees.

Sasquatch
12-17-2005, 07:45 AM
Spruce is nice too.

Neco Arc
12-17-2005, 01:14 PM
Merry Winter!!! (Northern hemisphere)
Merry Summer!!! (Southern Hemisphere)
etc...

Problem Solved...