PDA

View Full Version : No used games on the PS3?

LunarWeaver
12-14-2005, 03:38 PM
My Game Informer this month had an article that said Sony has patented some fancy-pants technology that allows them to include a code on their games and have the ps3 recognize that code the first time it's put into the system and only allow it to work on that playstation from then on. In other words, you have to buy your own fresh copy and cannot buy used games or swap with other people.

Sony says just because they created it doesn't mean they will use it, and I hope to Ganasha they don't. I love Sony and all, and I understand the used game market hurts the industry a lot, but I'm one poor fellow! I need to buy 10-20 dollars games! Agh, if they do this I'll just buy a Revolution...

The article was small in the magazine, barely taking up the bottom corner...Maybe it's not even a big deal yet?

Flying Mullet
12-14-2005, 03:39 PM
Wow, I missed that when I was reading it through. Which page is it on?

LunarWeaver
12-14-2005, 03:48 PM
It was near the beginning...This comp isn't at my house and the magazine is so er haha...Check around all the news and Loose Talk stuff. It was a left a page I think the bottom left corner. Should be a little PS3 picture.

Maxico
12-14-2005, 05:57 PM
This was brought up a while ago and Sony denied it.

End of story as far as I'm concerned.

Dreddz
12-14-2005, 06:01 PM
That would suck, but i dought they will go through with it ....

KentaRawr!
12-14-2005, 06:11 PM
That would really stink. o_o I mean, that would REALLY stink. I like buying games for $20! :mad2:

Dreddz
12-14-2005, 06:27 PM
Sony would lose more money if they went through with it to be honest ..

bipper
12-14-2005, 07:03 PM
How would that be possible? I mean, imagine it. You throw a 'read only disk' into a console that has no real guarenteed internet connection, or network with a home server - or other devices. How would the PS3's be able to 'serialize' a disk and recognise it as being unique. Let alone, how would a server of these serialized disks hold any integrety at all?

It just does not make sence. I think GI = toilet paper if they claimed this to be true. If it is true - damn.
Bipper

LunarWeaver
12-14-2005, 07:13 PM
Maxico says this was brought up and dropped already, and that's good enough for me. I refuse to accept Sony would ever do such a thing...In fact, I never made this topic! I deny everything! No such technology exists *Shakes fist in anger*

Endless
12-14-2005, 07:34 PM
http://forums.eyesonff.com/showthread.php?t=73466

crono_logical
12-14-2005, 07:37 PM
Read about this a while ago :p

Basically, the theory is each game disc is encrypted with it's own key, and a decryption key is stored on an erasable part of the disc. When the disc is put into the console, the console reads the key and stores it locally, destroys the copy on the disc (think of erase disc for CD-RW), then uses the local key to decrypt the disc to play it. On subsequent inserts of the disc, the console will find the local matching key for the disc and use it to decrypt the disc since there's no key on the disc any more. If the disc goes into another console, it can't be read since the key's gone - only the console that first took the key can read it.

Also, Sony aren't a company to take their word for - after all, they've distributed rootkits (malware, plus makes it easier for viruses to hide themselves) on "audio" CDs deliberately which install silently on user's PCs, then took their time firstly admitting it before admitting the huge security impact it imposes on people's PCs. They're still taking their sweet time undoing the mess they've made, trying to water it down so people forget how bad they really are.

PS3 will not be a console for me :p

Maxico
12-14-2005, 07:51 PM
Sony is in essance a group of fairly unrelated companies that mostly work independantly. Therefore one devision distrubting Malware in no way invalidates another devision explicity stating that they will not include these security measures on the PS3.

here for a limited time
12-14-2005, 07:59 PM
wow, bye bye gamestop

edczxcvbnm
12-14-2005, 08:30 PM
The patent and everything is there but Sony would make too many enemies if they did this. Say good by to Video rentals...not to mention game stores seeing as how they couldn't buy back games because of this and then resell them which is the huge majority of their profits.

It is a stupid market plan. This is probably something that they thought about and came up with as anti-piracy but upon actual market analysis decide it was retarded.

fantasyjunkie
12-14-2005, 11:35 PM
Oh, I hope you are right, they would lose out on 3 or 4 hundred bucks from me if they ever did anything like that. For example, Half Life 2 got such an angry response I havent seen anyone else go down that road. And that's just a game publisher, not a big wig like Sony. I think Sony would be risking too much for them to risk doing something like that, especially if Microsoft and Nintendo are not.

DMKA
12-15-2005, 02:27 AM
Good thing I only play FF and never sell them.

Markus. D
12-15-2005, 02:31 AM
oh well, devil may cry 4 can only be played by moi then.

crashNUMBERS
12-15-2005, 12:37 PM
Wow, that sucks. I hope this isn't true. Sony's just too damn great. Why do such a dumbass thing??

Reine
12-15-2005, 08:44 PM
PS3 breaks, oh no! the games are now all useless, an you need a new PS3, and new copies of all those games (BRAND new, oh no! extremely rare games! Gone forever!)

As you can see, its an UTTER disaster

KentaRawr!
12-16-2005, 03:16 AM
Probably isn't true. I mean, they can think of a better non-piracy mechanism than THAT.

Edit: I just looked at the above post, and I now believe Sony isn't stupid enough to actually go through with it.

DMKA
12-16-2005, 03:21 AM
PS3 breaks, oh no! the games are now all useless, an you need a new PS3, and new copies of all those games (BRAND new, oh no! extremely rare games! Gone forever!)

As you can see, its an UTTER disaster
Holy crap I didn't think of that. Good thing I've never had a system break because I...you know...actually take care of them.