PDA

View Full Version : Shadow? (Spoilers)

Sasquatch
12-14-2005, 06:23 PM
In another thread, it was mentioned that Shadow dies at the end. I just didn't see this. So what do you think?

Interceptor! Get going!
Stay well...
Baram! I'm going to stop running. I'm going to begin all over again...

Since when does "begin all over again" mean "kill myself"?

The Man
12-14-2005, 06:42 PM
It was pretty obvious to me the first time I played the game that he killed himself, but it's more clear in the original Japanese version. In that, he says, "Baram, I don't have anything left to do here now. I'll be seeing you again soon." In conjunction with his previous quote that the only thing that kept him going was fighting, it stands that he doesn't have anything left to live for.

Sasquatch
12-14-2005, 06:48 PM
It was pretty obvious to me the first time I played the game that he killed himself, but it's more clear in the original Japanese version. In that, he says, "Baram, I don't have anything left to do here now. I'll be seeing you again soon." In conjunction with his previous quote that the only thing that kept him going was fighting, it stands that he doesn't have anything left to live for.

That quote would give more reason to believe he killed himself. Maybe they changed it because they didn't think suicide was a good thing for Shadow to do. Like the "leap of faith" for Celes.

The Man
12-14-2005, 06:52 PM
Judging from Nintendo's squeamish attitude towards death at the time, it was likely removed by the censors, yes. It was still pretty obvious that he killed himself to me, which is more than I can say for other things they censored (as an example, Celes was scheduled for execution until Locke rescued her). It's things like this that make me wish FFVI had gotten a re-translation along with the other two reissues.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
12-14-2005, 07:37 PM
There's still hope for a retranslation when the GBA remake comes out.

And yeah, his line in the Japanese version directly states that he's getting ready to die, but in the American version, it's still fairly blatant despite the confusing statement. While everyone else is running for their lives, he goes off by himself, crouches down inside the collapsing tower, and--here's the clincher--sends away Interceptor. Interceptor, his only companion in the world! It was clear to me even back before I knew a Woolsey from a Bihldorf that the guy wouldn't act this way unless it were all over for him.

Memoria
12-16-2005, 06:54 PM
If you remember, though, Interceptor and Relm had a bond. I think that Relm adopted the doggie and took him home. Well, I rather hope that she did.

Almighty God of Paper
12-16-2005, 09:36 PM
When I watched the ending, it was fairly obvious to me that he was letting himself die. I mean, he said that he wasn't going to run, and he kind of crouched in the corner, waiting for something to happen. As upsetting as that scene was, it can't be denied.

KoShiatar
12-16-2005, 09:47 PM
You know, I think he sent away Interceptor because he didn't want to be Shadow anymore, but he possibly wanted to return being Clyde. But maybe it's just me.

Jordyn1212
12-20-2005, 11:37 AM
do you mean shadow dying on the floating continent? if so he doesn't die on the continent nor does he comit suicide. if you would wait till the last five seconds before jumping off the continent he shows up and joins till the very end and you can use him to kill kefka. so it's absurd to think anything wrong of shadow dying

The Man
12-20-2005, 01:57 PM
No, we’re talking about his scene in the ending.

Memoria
12-20-2005, 09:37 PM
do you mean shadow dying on the floating continent? if so he doesn't die on the continent nor does he comit suicide. if you would wait till the last five seconds before jumping off the continent he shows up and joins till the very end and you can use him to kill kefka. so it's absurd to think anything wrong of shadow dying

...have you beaten Kefka's final form? Have you watched the ending? If not, then please be kind and shut your pie hole, 'fore I stick a pie in it.

So. Does Shadow die there? I've got two theories. 1) that he wants you to think that he's gonna die there, and that he's gonna start his life over, go back to Thamasa and reconnect with Relm and Strago. 2) that he does die and goes to burn in hell for all eternity.

I don't know which I agree with.

chaos9071
12-23-2005, 03:18 AM
Shadow is my favorite charater without respect to ability. I like him so much because he and I have a lot in common minus the estranged daughter of course...If he is relms father I think he might kill him self because there only thing that can hurt her is his bad influence. He removed the major threat to her and he has no other purpose. He sent interceptor away because he needed to die alone...

I don't think he actually killed him self but I think he just stopped running and let the whole pile of kefka's hideout crush him...

Llanowar
12-24-2005, 02:13 PM
the English translation seemed to be left SO open to interpretation that until they make a re-translation it will never be clear. Its such an ambiguous statement.....he might be ready to die or Simply to let the persona of Shadow DIE so that he can go back to Relm and put his old life back together so to speak. It's almost as though Square saw the problems of Lawsuits blaming games for tragic occurences based on Game Occurences LONG be4 Everquest and changed the language of certain occurences and statements accordingly to protect themselves.

TurkSlayer
12-24-2005, 02:45 PM
It is very obvious that Shadow was trying to kill himself, which is unfortunate to me, as he was my favorite character. But at that point, he had already come to the realization that there was nothing left for him in the world, other than Relm, though it's hard to say weather or not he ever realized she was his daughter. If he had, then perhaps he had come to the conclusion that he didn't want his daughter to know that her father was a well known cold hearted killer. If he hadn't, then he was just prepared to go.

He sent interceptor away because he needed to die alone...

Actually, I think he did that so that his friend would survive, not because he wanted to die alone.

Truth
12-25-2005, 04:41 AM
That quote would give more reason to believe he killed himself. Maybe they changed it because they didn't think suicide was a good thing for Shadow to do. Like the "leap of faith" for Celes.

He said "soon." Yes, it's pulling at strings, but what if Soon meant "not quite yet."? Perhaps he Did have plans to go back and do somethign before letting it all end, like at least send Relm a letter or.. something?

Yes, yes, I realize that "soon" means once the building had fallen on him.

Flash
12-26-2005, 05:43 AM
When I saw that scene I was so pissed off since Shadow was my strongest and favourite player in the whole game.

I myself have 2 theories, he did wait there for the tower to crumble and died, or like a ninja would do, wait till the last second and do some ninja skill thingy and get outta there, he let go of Interceptor cause he would just remind him of his old self, where Shadow now wanted to be a whole new person.

KoShiatar
12-26-2005, 10:01 PM
the English translation seemed to be left SO open to interpretation that until they make a re-translation it will never be clear.

There is a fantranslation made by RPGone Translation, and I am working on the script myself.

Crossblades
12-26-2005, 10:25 PM
Man, I really have to play this game again. I could've sworn he lived at the end:confused:

Lazy_Lizard
01-05-2006, 06:00 AM
u no whats really great! I HAVEN'T EVEN FINISHED THE GAME!!! LOLZZZZZ!!!!!!!!!!!!! I only got to Kefka's tower then gave up and started playing ff7:mad: