PDA

View Full Version : Titles. Of games.

Memoria
12-15-2005, 08:50 PM
So. Did you ever think that the Final Fantasy games should be seperatly named, since they don't have much in common? What names would you give to the FFs if Final Fantasy (plus whatever number follows) if you were given a chance?

THIS IS NOT A TITLES REGECTED THREAD. I'm tryin' to be serious...

Umm, FF1... I think I'd rename it "Crystal Quest" or something... okay that was stupid...

Kawaii Ryűkishi
12-15-2005, 10:02 PM
They actually have a ton to do with each other. Just because their stories are unique doesn't mean there aren't heaps of other connections.

Traitorfish
12-15-2005, 10:11 PM
Nah, she's got a point- hence 'Advent Children'. It has a name.
I don't knwo much about 1 to 6, but 7 could be called something like 'Spirit of the Ancients' or 'Power of the Ancients' or something like that. Or, alternatively, 'Jenova's Legacy' or something else to do with Jenova.
I can't think of anything else.

[Off Topic: This is my first post in the gaming forums. Hope it's less dumb than I think it is.]

RaidenWeb17
12-15-2005, 10:12 PM
Ok then titles that fit their time or story.

NeoCracker
12-15-2005, 11:10 PM
FF1: the Four Heros
FF4: Crystals of Light and Dark
FF5: When worlds collide (Yes, that ones stupid
ff6: War of the Magi
ff7: The Life STream
ff8: Don't buy this game (Cool title, huh)
ff9: FF Gaiden, (Heard thats what it was originally going to be called anyway.)
ffx: Sin

Little Blue
12-16-2005, 12:29 AM
Nah, she's got a point- hence 'Advent Children'. It has a name.

imo, thats only because of its nature as a VII's spin off, SE could easily have called AC and the others VII-2, -3 etc (until they finally realise that all VII fanboys have died of old age), like they did with X and X-2, but then that would imply that they're all sequels to VII, not spin-offs, if theres a difference.

I wouldnt really name any mainstream FF, and I think the main series of the games should just be numbered, spin-offs can have titles, and sequels, i prefer numbered, but it really depends on the nature of the game.

rubah
12-16-2005, 02:39 AM
I'm pretty sure ff9 wasn't going to be called ff gaiden.

I don't think they should have other names, because then it would put them in the realm of 'spinoff' and fanboys would not accept them as canon, much the way ffx-2 and mystic quest are spurned today.

Swifthom
12-16-2005, 10:21 AM
Only for the ones I've played so far...:

FF 1: Final Fantasy (it's the original, doesnt have to have a name
FF 2: Empire's Fall
FF 7: Last of the Ancients
FF 8: The SeeDs
FF X: Spira's Sins
FF X-2: Spira's Hope

Christmas
12-16-2005, 04:51 PM
FF VII : The Tragedy (http://www.kekkai.org/andrea/stupid/hacks/atariff7.gif)

FF VIII: The Greatest Love Story Ever Told (http://forums.eyesonff.com/user/photo/profilepic18659_2.gif)

Memoria
12-16-2005, 07:56 PM
...did I make another stupid thread?

RaidenWeb17
12-16-2005, 09:52 PM
I'm pretty sure ff9 wasn't going to be called ff gaiden.
It was gonna be called Gaiden because it was a look back at the others ffs.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
12-16-2005, 09:58 PM
FFIX was never going to be called FFGaiden. Sakaguchi even cited the fact that it was the last single-digit numbered game as the reason for its retrospective style. Then there's the fact that there was already a game called Final Fantasy Gaiden.

DJZen
12-16-2005, 11:13 PM
FFII originally had a subtitle in the US.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
12-16-2005, 11:55 PM
A pretty cool one, at that.

crashNUMBERS
12-17-2005, 12:43 AM
I once heard FFIX was going to be a side FF game...

Kawaii Ryűkishi
12-17-2005, 01:00 AM
What the hell, man. We just got done debunking that.

crashNUMBERS
12-17-2005, 01:22 AM
You're saying that it wasn't a side FF game but from this site you're wrong. Who knows who's right...

Scroll Down (http://warmech.net/ff9/ff9.html)

Oh yeah, you sound like stewie when you say "What the hell, man". Well you remind me of him...

Doomie
12-17-2005, 02:31 AM
No, Kishi is never wrong. It was never meant to be a side game. In Mozart's Requiem, you can hear the word semen.

Crossblades
12-17-2005, 03:25 AM
Final Fantasy I : Legend of the Crystals
Final Fantasy II : Dark Empire
Final Fantasy III : Legend Reborn
Final Fantasy IV : The Holy Path
Final Fantasy V : Rebirth of Doom
Final Fantasy VI : The Magitech Chronicles
Final Fantasy VII : Doomsday
Final Fantasy VIII : Love and War
Final Fantasy IX : A Hero's Tale
Final Fantasy X : Summoner's Quest
Final Fantasy X-2 : Aftermath
Final Fantasy XI : The Vanadiel Saga

rubah
12-17-2005, 06:55 AM
You could probably get away with calling about half of those 'A Summoner's Quest' to be honest.

(or at least 9 as well:()

DJZen
12-17-2005, 07:12 AM
Final Fantasy I : Legend of the Crystals

That's interesting...

http://warmech.net/fflc/fflc-logo.jpg

Masamuneˇ1600
12-17-2005, 01:18 PM
That's somewhat misleading, though. LotC was based on Final Fantasy, but not the original game. Rather, Legend of the Crystals is an OAV sequel to FFV. While it was not explicitly created by Square, Sakaguchi and Uematsu apparently had veto power over the production.

DJZen
12-17-2005, 07:03 PM
It was based on FFV. Specifically, it took place on the same world, involved a few of the same characters, touched on a few of the plot points, and the crystals played a big part in it. And there were chocobos and a lot of panty shots.

I just thought it was an interesting coincidence that Crossblades used a title that had already been in use elsewhere in the series.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
12-17-2005, 08:19 PM
It was based on FFV. Specifically, it took place on the same world, involved a few of the same characters, touched on a few of the plot points, and the crystals played a big part in it. And there were chocobos and a lot of panty shots.It's a sequel taking place 200 years after FFV. The only returning characters are Mid (as a ghost) and Cid (as a disembodied brain). There are a couple fleeting flashback shots of Batz and company, but for the most part it's a whole new cast.
I just thought it was an interesting coincidence that Crossblades used a title that had already been in use elsewhere in the series.It'd be more interesting if "Legend of the Crystals" weren't such a generic title. :aimsad:

crashNUMBERS
12-18-2005, 04:58 PM
Batz?? Butz or Bartz??

Kawaii Ryűkishi
12-18-2005, 06:59 PM
Batz.

crashNUMBERS
12-18-2005, 07:13 PM
Wtf. Is that the official japanese name for Bartz?? Or is this that FF5: Legend of the crystals character??

Kawaii Ryűkishi
12-18-2005, 07:24 PM
It's the most correct transliteration of Batz's name. The protagonist of the FFV OVA is Pritz.

crashNUMBERS
12-18-2005, 07:37 PM
What the hell is with square and anything related to FFV that ends with 'tz'...

KoShiatar
12-18-2005, 09:17 PM
The only name I would change is that of Final Fantasy I.
I'd call it Not So Final Fantasy.

crashNUMBERS
12-19-2005, 12:30 AM
Lol. What's not so FF about it??

Memoria
12-19-2005, 08:38 PM
Lol. What's not so FF about it??

The fact that it spawned this huge multimillion dollar franchise that we're all here discussing. It sure isn't final. :p

crashNUMBERS
12-19-2005, 08:52 PM
Oh!! Lol. I get what your saying. Because how square only named that because of buisness. That game determined Square's buisness life. I remember now...

six underground
12-22-2005, 12:20 PM
lol

SERIOUS (enough) TACKY TItLES:

FF I - Quest for Cornelia
FF II - Paramekia
FF 3 - (haven't played)
FF4 - Dark Tide (as in, the tides caused by the Moon :)
FF5 - Elements
FF6 - Magitek Empire
FF7 - Mako Eyes
FF8 - Call to Arms
FF9 - Rogues of Lords
FF10 - Winds of Valefor
FF Tactics - Angels and Demons :)

"ALTERNATIVE" TITLES :

FF1 - Final Fantasy
FF2 - ...Or not?
FF3 - *something japanese*
FF4 - What Really Goes on Every Full Moon
FF5 - The Beginnings of a Boy Called Hugh Hefner...er, Bartz
FF6 - Locke and His Merry Men
FF7 - SOLDIERS on Mako (director's druggie cut)
FF8 - The Koncept of Time Konsumption
FF9 - The Thief who would be God
FF10 - The Unfortunate Path to Sin
FFTactics - Tabloid

DJZen
12-23-2005, 01:18 AM
Final Fantasy XI: {galka} {meat} {log} {rear} {fun} {Do you need it?} {I want to make money!}

Neco Arc
12-23-2005, 10:15 AM
FFVI - The Disapperance of Vicks and Wedge...

or FFVI - Son of a Submarine!!!

FoxHoundx25
12-23-2005, 10:28 PM
Do you mean these to be like subtitles like Final Fantasy 37: "The Big Ass Sword", or are they the entire title of the game.... i don't really think that subtitles would be that bad, but to change the name wouldn't be good..... and besides, if you say something like, "i'm halfway through 9 and i just started 5 the other day..." to anyone on this site they know what you're talking about

TurkSlayer
12-23-2005, 10:57 PM
FFII: Empire Strikes... (Back)
FFIV: Path of the Paladin
FFV: Bring Back Galuf, Damn It!
FFVI: The Magitek War
FFVII: Reunion
FFVIII: Boring
FFIX: Invincible
FFX: Sins of the Father (Get it?)
FFX-2:Charlie's Angels

childroland
01-12-2006, 01:12 AM
How can FF1 be not so FF it is the original so the only way for that to be possible would be for the other FF's to not be FF.

NeoCracker
01-12-2006, 01:19 AM
How can FF1 be not so FF it is the original so the only way for that to be possible would be for the other FF's to not be FF.

Its because Final in the name was originally meant to simbalize the en of square, but since the game actually saved the company, It turned out the final fantasy wasn't so final. This was explained a little erliear in the thread

some more ideas.

FF1: Thanks for saving our Arse.
FF2: The Empire of Doom!(creepy music in the backroun) (Yes, that first bracket is meant to be part of the title.)
FF3: Onion kids Unite
FF4: Transendence (You know, Dark night to palidan?)
FF5: The darkness between (The void)
FF6: Magitek empire (Don't feel like giving credit for it, so I will claim it is my own)
FF7: Who am I?
FF8: The tale of a man who needs to see a shrink
FF9: The crystal Returns
FF10: All a dream
FFX-2: Spoiler: Don't know how to write a spioler text so avoid reading teh rest of this if you care[COLOR="White"]You get the Whiney blonde guy back

YTDN
01-14-2006, 06:05 PM
FF1: Forget the first word of the title
FF2: Not another evil empire cliche
FF5: Not another Light Crystal cliche
FF6: Not another evil General cliche.
FF7: Wow, a non-cliche!
FF8: Flying schools 'r' us.
FF9: Why do we do this every day?
FF10: Summoners 'r' us
FF10-2: The Final Sequel. (hopefully)

Those are my ideas. I haven't played FF3 or FF4.