PDA

View Full Version : Where Is FF headed?

J_Steele_05
12-16-2005, 05:46 AM
I my self Have Been a fan of the series since way back when Final Fantasy 7 came out. Since then I actively perused the series. I’ve played 1,2,3,4 Still working on beating them because I have a short attention span and need flashy graphics. I’ve never gotten my hands on 5 or 6 but I’ve completed 7,8,9,10,and 10-2, so like many of you I come to expect a lot from the series. I used to look harshly at people who said bad things about any of the games, and when 9 came around and everyone was saying that Square had lost it, I had held firm. Personally I liked the game a lot. Then 10 came along. It hard to explain what it had done to us. Me, I’m torn on many levels on one hand I immediately fell in love with the world and the characters. The overall story is beautiful, and comes SO SO close to a perfect ending, but they left it open, left us wondering. No solid resolution. So they release X-2. Good game play, good visuals, decent soundtrack. But the game is full of holes, and collisions of stories that don’t jive, and again bad ending. Not horrible but not resolute. The more I look back the more I reflect. It looks bad, but I know deep down I still deny it. I’ll keep buying the FF titles searching for that holy high mark. Another 7. 12 Looks promising, but will it meet expectations. What’s happening to the Square we once knew and loved. Sakagichi, and Umatsu are gone. Maybe Square just needs new blood. Maybe they just don’t care about the gamers, and the game that saved them. In my own opinion I haven’t played a bad FF game, but 10, and 10-2 just failed to satisfy in resolution. What’s everyone’s opinion on the matter. I don’t think I’ve heard it directly addressed.

Azure Chrysanthemum
12-16-2005, 05:58 AM
Games are hit-or-miss in many cases. I don't think Square has a specific problem or is following a general upward or downward spiral, merely that sometimes they'll make games that are enjoyable, and sometimes they will not. XII looks to be interesting, KH2 looks to be pretty good, I think they've still a bit of creativity left in them so I'm not altogether worried.

And if they do go downhill, I'll always have Nippon Ichi :love:

strawberryman
12-16-2005, 06:08 AM
Holy crap, that's the first time i've seen you use that smilie, Void. :eek:

You can't really predict the future, so I won't try on this matter. It's not in my right judgement to do so. ;3

TheSpoonyBard
12-16-2005, 02:39 PM
The series definitely got stuck in a rut with FFX and FFX-2, and I can't say anything about FFXI, but I have hope that FFXII will restore my faith in the FF series. Failing that I'll have to find I-V somewhere.

Little Blue
12-16-2005, 07:38 PM
I think the series is doing fine. imo, X is the best, but X-2 dragged it down a bit. Personally, I'm unsure about the future, I've never played XI, and I'm hoping that I'll like XII, but the move away from the traditional FF gameplay is scary for me, but i suppose its time for a change...*sigh*...

RaidenWeb17
12-16-2005, 09:56 PM
I dont like change very much.

SoulTaker*
12-17-2005, 02:56 AM
If you dont count X-2 in the series, every Final Fantasy game has been solid, and although I would never play it that game was good and enjoyed by alot of people as well, going 10 for 10 in my opinion isnt bad, every series hits a snag now and again, look at Devil May Cry, but Final Fantasy just feels like that because their hasnt been a release in like 4 years, I thinks square is gonna release XIII not even a year after XII, everybody can find a Final Fantasy game they enjoy, thats what makes the series great, they can keep changing as long as we dont have to wait 4 years for another release.

Tempest
12-17-2005, 03:12 AM
I voted for Square making a turn around but, I don't think there is anything wrong with the series either. It's more that it's just been so long since Square has come out with an actual FF game and now they keep delaying FFXII. They need to get their act together and get a FF game out.

DJZen
12-17-2005, 07:20 AM
I my self Have Been a fan of the series since way back when Final Fantasy 7 came out.

You could have shortened your post to this and it would have pretty much gotten all the rest across.

Yuffie514
12-17-2005, 07:59 AM
* FFVII: where did all my memory go? it's been long since i played this one.
* FFVIII: Ulty, Griever - get ready for your 120th loss, xD.
* FFIX: other than FFVIII, this is the only other PSX game i'd play.
* FFX: nothing short of a breakthrough.
* FFTA: i could wait longer for FFXII b/c i have this great handheld game.
* FFXI: the only one that could hurt me.

i enjoyed all of the above, despite the flaws. hey, why quit a game just because of one stupid flaw?

Jiro
12-17-2005, 10:21 AM
they don't suck. they could suck, but we don't have a game to judge. If we had a game we wouldn't say it's bad until we beat it.

Zeromus_X
12-19-2005, 03:38 AM
i dont know... things look really bad. not like the games not going to sell a ga zillion copies, but i hope they go back to classic rpgs after that.

or, we could *shiver* come to terms with the fact that the series may end.

no amano. (hell, no nomura)
no uematsu
no sakaguchi

sakaguchi went to make "mistwalker", maybe he gave up on ffs?

the future isnt looking very bright at all. im sorry to say, it, but i cant find anything good about this. it was a nice run...:cry: :(

raskerino
12-19-2005, 04:12 AM
For me the games recently haven't been at quite the same level as it used to be, but it's different- and I have loved recent stuff just not as much.
FFI- I enjoyed this but not a lot.5/10
FFII- I think I deleted my save on this by mistake and never played again, I think Josef had just died but I'm not sure.4/10
FFIII- I live in America, and haven't imported. N/A
FFIV- Haven't gotten too far but I've really liked this. 7.5/10
FFV- Liked what I played. 7/10
FFVI- ^again^ 7/10
FFT- Just replayed it in the last two days, excellent! 8.5/10
FFVII- Loved this 10/10
FFVIII- Best game ever. 11/10
FFIX- Great game. 9/10
FFX- Another wonderful game. 9.5/10
FFX-2- I did enjoy this... just not as much. 8/10

So far within the FF series I've never been disappointed, the early games don't catch my interest quite enough to get hooked but their fun. From FFT to now I've been very happy with whatever. The only game that I do truly think is weak by square is KH (4/10, but unlike FFII this isn't a snap judgement clouded over from being annoyed at losing my save) which was so weak in so many ways. I don't feel square is going down but I don't think their necassarily getting better or making a turnaround, I've been happy. And if I did stop enjoying them then there are other good rpgs. As I just really enjoyed a play through of FFT I've looked at other strat rpgs and ordered "vandal hearts." All in all I love FF and I don't see a problem with the series, though if one appeared it would disappoint but not destroy rpgs.

Edit: But I also wouldn't vote "I see no problems" because the word problems doesn't come to your mind when you don't see any, it's a description applied by people who do and therefore ignores some of the sentiment behind it (this doesn't matter much). I see change, I see weak points but as a whole I'm happy and in most parts I am as well.

DJZen
12-19-2005, 05:05 AM
I've been thinking it over and I think X-2 was largely designed to draw in a larger fan base out side of of the RPG'ers reaching into the relms of platformers and action shooters. While people new to the series praise the game, others who have been into it for a long time are giving it a little more scrutiny.

I've been playing FF games for longer than some people here have been playing video games period, and I really like FFX2 a lot.

six underground
12-19-2005, 01:32 PM
i've played all the ff's except the ones i don't have (online, 1 to the japanese only ones) and i think i can say in an unbiased way that 6 and 7 were the height of FF glory...so far. 8 and 9, though both had many loopholes (the orphanage issue, necron, etc) still had that indeterminable FF x-factor that makes you keep playing and actually feel sad when you're about to end the game because you're going to miss playing it. ff10 was beautiful and cinematic, and at the start i felt like it was going to surpass 7, but deeper into the game i just didn't feel as excited about it as i was with like 8 or 9. which was funny because i liked 10's setting more than 9, and now that i think on it i think it's because 10 didn't provide ADVENTURE, that delicious thing that keeps us on our toes about our favorite RPG series. it was just too linear. then x-2 came along and although i knew it was an FF (i'm quite picky with RPGs :) ), i didn't even bother finishing it. but now that 12's going around im really excited for it and hope it turns out great. the idea that tactics' director is helming it is fun because for me, it was FFT's superb direction that made it great. although i hope Nobuo Uematsu did the songs :) and the characters all seem really interesting. it may be early to say, but io have great faith in FF12 ;)

Memoria
12-19-2005, 08:35 PM
This one hopes that the dignity and seriousness of the FF series will be restored with FFXII. Or I'm going to have to tell people when I'm older "You're playing FFXVII?! Go back ten or eleven games and you will see the real Final Fantasy!!" I all ready tell people to go and play VI who won't give up VIII or X.

PramTheOracle
12-20-2005, 02:08 AM

Go Nippon Ichi Software!

Rengori
12-20-2005, 02:16 AM
I think it'll turn around with XII.

Relena
12-20-2005, 10:07 PM
Why don't we just create our own FFs and send it to square! I've made tons of races, names, outfits, and plots.

Rengori
12-20-2005, 10:27 PM
Are any of them good? I haven't made any good ones yet...

Y-Rikku-P
12-21-2005, 10:00 AM
Ate the end of the day every game is different from the next. It's nice if you do love every one of the games but that's un likely. Your going to have your favourites and thats just the way it goes so I would never say that SE have lost their touch as they have to do things differently every time.

You can sit and say you have ideas and created races and characters as though it were the easiest thing on earth but its not - you try doing by the time you get to your 12+ game.

Starboard Regulator FlareNUKE
12-21-2005, 11:35 AM
This one hopes that the dignity and seriousness of the FF series will be restored with FFXII. Or I'm going to have to tell people when I'm older "You're playing FFXVII?! Go back ten or eleven games and you will see the real Final Fantasy!!" I all ready tell people to go and play VI who won't give up VIII or X.

Heh, I try to convince brother to play Final Fantasy VII, but he says the graphics are /xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif... I don't like VII in particular, I haven't completed the game but it's so boring I just stopped. But it would be the only one I could ever hope to have him play, He HATES non-3D games, no SNES, or GBA for him... so no I-IV... VIII would be too complex for him, and IX has a certain appearance that he doesn't like