PDA

View Full Version : Moving >_<

DMKA
12-17-2005, 06:28 AM
So yeah, today the semester ended (praise be to allah) and I'm scheduled to be on the bus back on my way to Oklahoma until the spring semester starts tomorrow at 9:40am, since I'm not doing Jan term. I have all my crap sitting out and I don't feel like packing it, but I have to, and I realized last time that moving is a pain in the ass. I really despise it. I used to actually think it was fun to a certain degree, and I know people who love it, but I just hate it now.

So when was the last time you moved, what was it for, and how do you feel about moving?

The Summoner of Leviathan
12-17-2005, 06:30 AM
The only time I have moved was to Montreal for universtiy, next time will be hom this spring.

rubah
12-17-2005, 07:00 AM
I moved to louisiana for a month. And lived out of my suitcase for a week of that. then partially out of it for the remainder.

I've only ever moved once longterm, from our trailer to the house next to it when I was three.

Sasquatch
12-17-2005, 07:45 AM
I moved nine times with my family. From where I was born to another place in Illinois, then to Alabama, then back to three more places in Illinois, then down to three places in Georgia, then up to Wisconsin, about four and a half years ago, which is where my parents (dad and stepmother) still live -- that's the longest my dad has lived in one place for the past thirty years, I think. After I graduated High School (Class of 2003), I went to Basic Training and AIT for nearly four months, I don't know if you could consider that a "move" or not... Not long after that, I got activated and mobilized, and lived in Ft. McCoy for a little more than two months, I don't know if you could count that...then Kuwait for a week and a half, then Iraq for about a year, then a couple days in Kuwait and McCoy and back home. THEN, I "moved" into the dorms at college.

Yeah. Moving sucks. Looking back, I hated moving (having to find new friends, church, school, house, etc. etc. etc., especially when I was kinda shy and didn't make friends well), but I wouldn't change the way I was raised up. I'd rather not make my kids move, just because of the change, but I think it's valuable for us to get more than one perspective on things. For example, in Georgia, they didn't teach me all the reasons behind the Civil War for fear of being "racist", while they don't have to worry about offending as many blacks in Wisconsin, so I got a better education in that field, whereas Georgia taught Evolutionism as more of a theory, since it was in the Bible Belt (or maybe just not as liberal) and would offend more people, but Wisconsin and Illinois taught Evolutionism as scientific fact. I also went from a high school class of almost 500 in Georgia to a class of 60 in Wisconsin, and I think it's important to get views from both bigger schools/towns and smaller schools/towns.

DISCLAIMER: I am not trying to start a debate over the causes of the Civil War, racism, or Evolutionism. Just trying to give examples on how moving will broaden views in culture, education, and more.

I also have problems with where I'm "from". I was born in Illinois, but I spent the same amount of time there that I did in Georgia. I would much rather claim Georgia than Illinois, I have a slight Southern accent, and most of my "raising" was in Georgia -- meaning, my most influential young life moments, from my perspective. So am I from Georgia, or Illinois? I say Georgia now, but I'd like to see what other people think.

DMKA
12-17-2005, 07:47 AM
DISCLAIMER: I am not trying to start a debate over the causes of the Civil War, racism, or Evolutionism. Just trying to give examples on how moving will broaden views in culture, education, and more.
Then why'd you even bring it up? x)

I'd say you're from Georgia. My brother was born in California like the rest of us, but he's spent from age three to age nine in Oklahoma, so as much as I hate to admit it, that's going to be where his memories are, and thus where he's from.

Strider
12-17-2005, 07:51 AM
Two weekends ago, I was to move into a house with a couple of my friends. So I packed my entire room and carted it over to the new digs in two cars... only to find that the whole thing had fallen apart. So I had to haul it all back and unpack again.

:(

Sasquatch
12-17-2005, 07:53 AM
Then why'd you even bring it up? x)ummm...
Just trying to give examples on how moving will broaden views in culture, education, and more.

I'd say you're from Georgia. My brother was born in California like the rest of us, but he's spent from age three to age nine in Oklahoma, so as much as I hate to admit it, that's going to be where his memories are, and thus where he's from.See, most of my friends in Wisconsin look at me as being from Georgia, because where I came here from. When I got deployed, it was with a unit out of Pennsylvania, and since I came there from Wisconsin, it didn't matter that I only lived there for two years, a lot of them considered me to be "from" Wisconsin. (I spent seven years in Illinois and seven in Georgia.)

FutureEmperor
12-17-2005, 08:03 AM
If you count hotels in which i have stayed at for more than one month i have moved 19 times, if not counting those hotels, its more like 14 times.

Necronopticous
12-17-2005, 08:46 AM
I moved to Rancho Cucamonga about 6 months ago or so, and although it's been great to get out of where I used to life, I loathe the actual act of moving.

SammieBabe
12-17-2005, 01:28 PM
I moved to my current location about a year and a half ago. I happened to be 6 months pregnant at the time so, luckily, I got out of doing alot of work.... :D

Rye
12-17-2005, 01:30 PM
When I was 8, from Queens NY where I lived previously all my life, before I moved to Annoying White Bread Suburban Wasteland Town, NY. :)

RSL
12-17-2005, 01:34 PM
I think my family moved twice before I was five. Of coruse, I don't remember any of it. And it was all here in the same county.

From the age of five to the age of nineteen I lived in the same house. I then moved in with a friend in southeast Iowa, 300 miles away. I didn't like it much. I think that lasted a year and a half before I moved back in with my parents. I probably lived with them for a year as I got back on my feet and what not. Then I moved where I currently live, in an apartment in a town ten miles away from where my parents live.

As for the actual act of moving, I don't like it at all. When you move only ten miles, it's a little easier because you can make several trips without too much bother. The 300 mile move really sucked. I also helped a friend move one time. He promised me that there would be no stairs involved. When we got to the place, it turned out that there were three flights of stairs to go up. I would've helped him anyway, I just wish he wouldn't have lied to me to get me to help him.

xtreme112
12-17-2005, 01:47 PM
I was too young 2 remember moving houses permanently, but afew years ago I used to hate going to my dad's place on the weekend on holidays, which was kinda like moving. Now he's got a new house so everything's cool, but it is a pain to always have to move around

Anaisa
12-17-2005, 03:14 PM
I moved from my house in about july this year and had to stay at my nan's house til late september, and it was hell. Then I moved into the house where I am now. This house is larger better heated and generally has alot less wrong with it, but I prefer the area where I lived before as I could just walk to see my dad and brother whenever I liked, now id have to get a bus there and back. I could also walk to some decent shops there, here they have a supermarket close by which is useful but thats it. And the area where its located proclaims itself as a retail park, an area consisting of one supermarket is not a retail park. But really ive never been pleased about anywhere ive ever lived because we don't have the budget to suit my tastes.

kikimm
12-17-2005, 06:00 PM
I moved a lot when I was younger, but I've lived in the same house for about 10 years now. My dad's always talking about moving again, but I think he'll wait until us kids are out of high school. I really don't want to have to spend my last year in school away from all the friends I've made. After I graduate, though, I'm looking forward to moving out of here. :D

Zovak the Everchanging
12-17-2005, 06:39 PM
I moved here 2 years ago- we were looking all over the country for a place to move, Devon being our first choice and Norfolk being the second... we moved to Norfolk and as luck would have it I'm now getting in a relationship with someone in Devon which is 5 hours away. And I wasnt happy about moving in the first place- I was halfway through school and I got a bad grade on my History exam because we were studying a completely different subject (the American West, whereas before I was doing the Second World War). And another thing- where I was before we had a cinema and shops and stuff but now I'm living next to a farm, and our local pub's shut down :(

Shoeberto
12-17-2005, 09:17 PM
My family moved once in my life, from a smaller house in town to the one we live in now out in the country. I was probably about six. I don't really remember a whole lot about the process, though.

Epiphany
12-17-2005, 09:22 PM
My family moves about every three months. I've lived in 14 states so far. I'm betting I get to all 50. Needless to say I'm an expert at packing now, but I still hate the whole ordeal.

People talk about all that nonsense like "seeing the world, blah blah blah." It's not all it's cracked up to be.
I'm a creature of habit, and to me that's staying in one place and getting accustomed to it. Apparently to my other family members, habit is moving around whenever you discover something you don't like about the current place.