PDA

View Full Version : Sports teams

Vaprice
12-17-2005, 06:28 PM
Okay so I want to hear your opinions... Who works the hardest at sports? Soccer, football, basketball, hockey, rugby, etc.

I believe soccer, and I don't want to post my opinions right now, but everyone else if you will go ahead.

Del Murder
12-18-2005, 07:42 AM
Boxing, no contest. Strength, agility, balance, endurance. You need them all. Plus you have to be able to repeatedly get hit in the face without being fazed. In football and hockey you get hit, but at least you have a helmet.

Actually, if you count UFC as a sport then they are probably the first. Those guys are nuts.

Strider
12-18-2005, 07:47 AM
I'd say hockey is the most trying sport. Considering you're out there for an hour continually flying around a slippery surface and trying not to get knocked on your butt... it's also the reason why I think the NHL playoffs are the most exciting.

Del Murder
12-18-2005, 07:49 AM
Yeah, hockey is definitely hardcore. A soccer ball to the face will put you out for a few seconds. A puck to the face will break your jaw.

eestlinc
12-18-2005, 07:56 AM
Basketball requires the most continual physical exertion since you are basically running constantly.

Psydekick
12-18-2005, 11:47 AM
Gymnastics requires skill and strength as well as gracefulness.

Rusty
12-18-2005, 12:21 PM
I personally think AFL. Rugby comes a close second.

Cz
12-18-2005, 12:49 PM
You have to remember that football (soccer) teams play three times a week at the absolute maximum. In American sports the schedule is so much more trying, and having two games on consecutive days is not all that uncommon.

It's a pretty close call between Hockey and Basketball, but I'd go for Hockey, as the chance of injury is so much higher.

SammieBabe
12-18-2005, 01:52 PM
Hockey hands down. I've never seen a football player get his eye poked out or get 80 stiches in his face. And, there's a reason they wear fifty pounds of pads...

Psydekick
12-18-2005, 05:20 PM
Hockey hands down. I've never seen a football player get his eye poked out or get 80 stiches in his face. And, there's a reason they wear fifty pounds of pads...
You is correct:)

Kirobaito
12-18-2005, 11:08 PM
Hockey, without a doubt.

Jimmch939
12-19-2005, 05:18 PM

Actually awhile back in the nfl a referee threw a one of the flags (they are weighted) and it hit some dude in the eye, rendering him blind in that eye.

black orb
12-19-2005, 05:51 PM
>>> Golf?..

DK
12-19-2005, 06:17 PM
If we're talking team sports, I'd say Cricket. Games that last 5 days in a row, where they have to concentrate mentally every second of the game, as well as a helluva lot of physical exertion, especially for fast bowlers. Couple this with the fact that Domestic competition has games that last 4 days as well, International series can run up to 5 matches long, some back to back, and this isn't even including the ODI's and OD competitions in domestic seasons. Plus the fact that any time Shoaib spears down a ball at 100mph that then rises up at your throat and could potentially kill you, yeah. Cricket.

Del Murder
12-20-2005, 02:39 AM
5 days straight with no breaks?

Raistlin
12-20-2005, 02:43 AM
Cricket has meal breaks. I can't take any sport seriously that has tea breaks.

Actually, if you count UFC as a sport then they are probably the first. Those guys are nuts.
I have to agree with this one.

DK
12-20-2005, 02:57 AM
5 days straight with no breaks?

Well, A game lasts 5 days, and they start at around 10:30am and finish the days play at about 6/6:30pm. And yes, they have meal breaks, but what do you expect when they play intensive sport for 8 hours of a day? They're going to need to get rehydrated and get energy back to continue playing.

Resha
12-20-2005, 02:59 AM
If we're talking team sports, I'd say Cricket. Games that last 5 days in a row, where they have to concentrate mentally every second of the game, as well as a helluva lot of physical exertion, especially for fast bowlers. Couple this with the fact that Domestic competition has games that last 4 days as well, International series can run up to 5 matches long, some back to back, and this isn't even including the ODI's and OD competitions in domestic seasons. Plus the fact that any time Shoaib spears down a ball at 100mph that then rises up at your throat and could potentially kill you, yeah. Cricket.
I'd say cricket too. It's one hell of a challenging sport for both batsmen and bowlers, there's so much precision required for bowling...the tactics are insane. And batting? One days might not be too bad, but when you have to stay there for five days, with some batters at the crease for more than a day (depending on how well they play :p) it'd be dead tiring. :greenie:

Edit: Although I feel sorry for footballers, because they have to head the ball...it must be excruciating for the bald ones.

Raistlin
12-20-2005, 03:00 AM
There's no way cricket competes with UFC (or even boxing). Cricket lasts longer, but training for any fighting sport never stops.

Resha
12-20-2005, 03:02 AM
What is UFC? :confused: I don't know about training, but during the game...cricket is right up there.

Raistlin
12-20-2005, 03:12 AM
Ultimate Fighting Championship. Two people in an octagon-shaped ring with very thin gloves (meant more to protect knuckles than peoples' faces) and they just have at it. I think that literally the only rule is no hits to the groin (and even if a guy gets hit there, the ref just gives him a minute or so break, and back to fighting).

Not only is the fighting intense, but the training is nuts. UFC fighters typically train at wrestling, submissions, and about five different types of martial arts (not even mentioning all the normal weight lifting, endurance training, etc).

Madame Adequate
12-20-2005, 03:31 AM
UFC and boxing are both goddamn hardcore, and even most of the more 'respectable' martial arts are pretty intensive at competition level (Muay Thai is brutal.).

However, there's a difference between 'most intensive' and 'works hardest'. I'm sure that most sportsmen - be they players of soccer, cricket, basketball, hockey, whatever - work extremely hard to be at their best, and even though I'm not big into sports I'm not about to claim players are untalented or don't invest a lot of effort.

Jai Alai is pretty rough, too. That thing can top 180mph.

Of course, we can't really compete today with Mesoamerican Ball. Sometimes the losing team was sacrificed. At times, the winning team was deified through decapitation by the losing team, too. And on occasion the skulls were as the base for more balls to be made.

CloudDragon
12-20-2005, 03:33 AM
Every sport has its own tests and challenges along the way. Now you can make an argument that one sports takes more physical strength than another, and one may take more mental strength. I'm not going to take a side on this subject for that reason because you can't really compare them in every sense.

Deaths_Hand
12-20-2005, 04:13 AM
ive played all sports and Boxing and Hockey i got wore out the quickest, but overall id have to go with hockey, you are constantly moving at full speed and take some punishing hits from opponents as well as the ice itself

Del Murder
12-20-2005, 04:50 AM
I think eye-gouging is also illegal in UFC.

eestlinc
12-20-2005, 05:29 AM
Kumite! Kumite!

Dingo Jellybean
12-21-2005, 12:25 AM
Gymnastics requires skill and strength as well as gracefulness.

Definitely gymnastics. The rate of injuries in gymnastics is unrivaled. You can literally tear muscles off the bone and end your career. It requires so much flexibility and concentration and an amazing amount of stamina that you would need to practice for 4 years to even become marginally average at it.

Vaprice
12-25-2005, 07:59 PM
Okay I agree on a lot that you've said but still. When we play soccer/fooooootball you play three times a week maximum on avergae but in between those are practices. Not to mention somepone mentioned basketball you run constantly, not as much as Soccer.

Big guys run slow, they don't run like at a constant maximum speed.

I'd also agree that hockey nd boxing and martial arts require everything you could've thought about.