PDA

View Full Version : FF2 - Why the hell did Firion's magic abilities increase?

Peter_20
12-17-2005, 07:45 PM
Alright, this is boggling my mind greatly.
I was running around at Mysidia, gaining some levels and stuff in order to prepair for the Warship.
I have the somewhat odd party formation with Firion being the fighter, Maria the white wizard and Guy the black wizard (while Gordon acted like a fighter as well).
Firion was the typical fighter dude, with high HP and physical attacks.
He was heavily equipped, hell, he even had some stuff from Mysidia, like the Knight Armour and the Giant Glove.
He had all the potential of a tank, and zero potential of a wizard, and he attacked, attacked and attacked with his swords during this long battle.
When I finally won, I expected Firion to grow in HP, Vitality or anything related to a tank char.
For some reason, he developed in MAGIC!
His MP grew for 5 to 10, and his Magic Power increased by 1.
He hadn't used ANY kind of magic at all, except for the Ancient Sword (Curse), if that even counts.
STILL, he grew in MP and Magic Power.

What's going on?

Tempest
12-17-2005, 10:11 PM
Did one of the enemies use the spell Swap on him? I think that the characters can get different stat growth if that spell was used even if he didn't use magic.

Crossblades
12-17-2005, 11:46 PM
Yeah, if you're characters get hit by magic, their MP and Magic Defense will grow

Peter_20
12-18-2005, 12:42 AM
No Swap stuff, but the enemies DID use lots of magics,
like Ice8 and Slep4.

Starboard Regulator FlareNUKE
12-18-2005, 04:14 AM
Eh, why do people make Maria a White Mage... In the begining she is much more proficient in Black Magic because of her higher INT. stat, and Guy is obviously supposed to be the fighter... while I beileve Firioniel can be anything, or a jack of all trades...

Peter_20
12-18-2005, 04:44 AM
Eh, why do people make Maria a White Mage... In the begining she is much more proficient in Black Magic because of her higher INT. stat, and Guy is obviously supposed to be the fighter... while I beileve Firioniel can be anything, or a jack of all trades...Well, they *are* intended to be certain classes, but you can build them any way you want.
I somehow prefer the Fighter/White Mage/Black Mage party, though.

I think this is the intended party:

FIRION: Paladin (high strength, uses swords and raises Soul easily)
MARIA: Hunter/Black Mage (uses Bows, and handles black magic really well)
GUS: Fighter/Monk (high initial HP and strength, uses Axes)
LEON: Knight (uses swords, rivals Firion in physical strength)

This way you'll get three fighters, a hunter, a white wizard and a black wizard. :)

Elite Lord Sigma
12-18-2005, 05:51 AM
Eh, why do people make Maria a White Mage... In the begining she is much more proficient in Black Magic because of her higher INT. stat, and Guy is obviously supposed to be the fighter... while I beileve Firioniel can be anything, or a jack of all trades...

Therefore, Firion is a red mage.

Crossblades
12-18-2005, 04:07 PM

Too true.

I always make Firion a Paladin type, Maria a Black Mage, and Guy an Axe Fighter.

How for the other characters like Gordon, Josef, Richard, etc. I don't teach them any magic at all

Peter_20
12-19-2005, 04:46 PM
Too true.

I always make Firion a Paladin type, Maria a Black Mage, and Guy an Axe Fighter.

How for the other characters like Gordon, Josef, Richard, etc. I don't teach them any magic at allThe chars do have higher potential in different things in the beginning of the game, but they become proficient in anything if you use them correctly.
Also, I do like that Paladin/Black Mage/Fighter party, but first I'd like to finish the game with my classical line-up, Fighter/White Mage/Black Mage. :D

Memoria
12-19-2005, 06:14 PM
Well, they *are* intended to be certain classes, but you can build them any way you want.
I somehow prefer the Fighter/White Mage/Black Mage party, though.

I think this is the intended party:

FIRION: Paladin (high strength, uses swords and raises Soul easily)
MARIA: Hunter/Black Mage (uses Bows, and handles black magic really well)
GUS: Fighter/Monk (high initial HP and strength, uses Axes)
LEON: Knight (uses swords, rivals Firion in physical strength)

This way you'll get three fighters, a hunter, a white wizard and a black wizard. :)

That's exactly how I set the group up when I played in Origins, except I made Firion my lead white mage, and Gus was my back up mage in both. Right now he has a higher white magical stat than Firion does, and I'm working through the Jade passage. It's soooo hard...

Cubster
12-19-2005, 11:29 PM
While I'm near the middle of the game, my character set up is mostly identical to most others who play. Firion is a white mage but good at attacking, Maria a black mage and is not bad at attacking, and Gus my best fighter of course but has some white magic spells for backup (Cure, Esuna, Life, etc.). I also have them all build up their levels for different weapons.

Don't know what I'm going to do once Leon comes into my party later...any suggestions?:)

rubah
12-19-2005, 11:39 PM
make him a paladin, since it's easiest:D

or give him dual shields and make him fast.

DJZen
12-20-2005, 12:36 AM
White magic + armor = gimped

Black magic + bow = gimped

Any magic at all + sword = gimped

Shield = gimped in general

Double axes = roxx0r

Any character's MP will rise if they lose enough MP by any means. If you get hit with Swap, Sap or Aspil, your MP will drop. Also, if you're playing DoS, the amount you can raise stats to varies depending on the enemies you're fighting.

Omni-Odin
12-20-2005, 04:54 AM
Firion-Red Mage, more White, but can still fight
Gus-Warrior
Maria-Black Mage
Leon-Knight

Fireblade13
12-20-2005, 08:46 PM
I have made Leon and Guy the same. Fironel a Paladin and Maria a BM with any weopen she wants. I think your problem is that you were hit by magic.

PS I give Leon and Guy booster spells like Haste, Drain, and Berserk.

Peter_20
12-21-2005, 02:13 PM
White magic + armor = gimped

Black magic + bow = gimped

Any magic at all + sword = gimped

Shield = gimped in general

Double axes = roxx0r
What does "gimped" mean? :confused:
I'm not American nor Britisher, so I'm having trouble with some words every now and then,
and I can't find this word anywhere in my dictionaries.

I suppose it means "not very good" or something like that, though.

CROSSBLADES:
You should at least have Josef learn Cure, Fire and Ice.
It's not too expensive, and it comes to very good use in the Ice Cave.

rubah
12-21-2005, 07:25 PM
something gimpy can't walk very well, so yes, not very good.

KagomJack
12-21-2005, 10:12 PM
Maria is my sole Black Mage. Firion is the White Mage. Gus/Guy is kind my jack of all trades, having both Black and White magic, mostly just for back-up in case MP runs out on Maria or Firion.

Peter_20
12-21-2005, 10:37 PM
I always thought you needed more than one wizard in a certain magic in this game.
A sole user of Cure16 with 200 MP just won't last in Jade/Pandemonium. :mad:

Doomie
12-21-2005, 11:17 PM
I basically give every character Cure, Life, Ice, Fire, and Bolt. I also give them all Holy. They always have double weapons, and Guy always has his axes.