PDA

View Full Version : Windows and Knoppix

Killy
12-17-2005, 08:20 PM
Windows refuses to boot, everything seems normal when booting exept in never does. So I loaded up Knoppix and want to back up my files so I can format windows.

I tried repain but nobody seems to have the admin password.

Anyway, I want to back up the files on my other hard-drive so I can format, but it will not allow me to create files. I get the error message : Could not create Folder...
I only have DVD drive, and it is being use for the knoppix cd, so I cannot take that out to burn my files on CD/DVD. How do I get to access my files?

Also, I would like to perform some sort of disc check to see if my main hard drive does not have any problems, but I am unfamilliar with Linux so I do not know what those tools might be.

Edit: Main my drive is split into 3 partitions (Fat 32), while the disc I want to make my backup on is NTSF

Edit: Its says that my drives are not writable

Endless
12-17-2005, 10:34 PM
Knoppix doesn't have NTFS-write support (or if it has, it's highly experimental and is more a risk than anything); for FAT32, you need to edit /etc/fstab and change the lines for your fat32 partitions to have "rw" instead of "ro" (I'd need to see what they say in your case to tell you exactly what to change, though). I'm pretty sure that there is a way to have it load itself into RAM so that you can keep using your cd-burner, but if it's not the case, your best bet is to have another computer on the network on which you can transfer files (by setting up a simple ftp server for example) or use an usb drive.

Samuraid
12-17-2005, 11:40 PM
If you have another windows-based machine nearby, you could even take the HDD out of your hosed machine and put it the other computer to copy files across.

Killy
12-18-2005, 12:25 AM
The problem is that I lack drive space on my second computer, and for some reason I cant get K3B to recognise my recordable media, neither will it recognize my USB HDD (NTSF but I can format it if need be). So the way I want to set it up now is like this.

My computer is connected to a router, my father s laptop is connected to the same router, and now I want to send my files over there, but they were never linked in the past and I do not know how to properly set-up a LAN using Linux. What should I do to transfer my files to the laptop?

Yrkoon
12-18-2005, 01:39 AM
not sure if knopix has a cd bruning ability but if it does just put a normal cd drive in your rig and have knoppix run on that fuck ive got about 5 sitting here not doing any thing then use your cd burner to burn the stuff you want to keep since you dont have access to another desktop system for harddrive switching :)

i could send you a second cd drive if you want their half fucked but still work :)

contact me on msn gpf.yrkoon@tiscali.co.uk i could probly find a way around your problem once i get full system specs etc :)

Killy
12-18-2005, 01:55 AM
I cant burn DVDs, even though my black CDs work and so does my burner, and I just cant burn over 30gb of files on CDs, because some of them will not even fit on cds. I could split them but that would take aeons. So now I am trying to use the LAN to send them over to the laptop, but I have no idea about how to set it up. That is the simplest solution.

As for buring software, K3B is the one that comes with Knoppix, but as I mentionned, it wont work properly.

Endless
12-18-2005, 10:48 AM
The problem is that I lack drive space on my second computer, and for some reason I cant get K3B to recognise my recordable media, neither will it recognize my USB HDD (NTSF but I can format it if need be). So the way I want to set it up now is like this.

My computer is connected to a router, my father s laptop is connected to the same router, and now I want to send my files over there, but they were never linked in the past and I do not know how to properly set-up a LAN using Linux. What should I do to transfer my files to the laptop?

Knoppix should detect the permanent connection and be connected to the net, so it'll grab an IP from the router and be part of the local network. Knoppix comes with a ftp server installed, but you need to do a few things before you can access it from another machine (<a href="http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/FTP_FAQ">instructions here</a>), after that, go on the laptop, open your favorite ftp program, and connect to your computer by using its IP addresss. Your router admin page should have a panel listing the clients connected and their IP, one is the laptop, the other your computer.

Killy
12-20-2005, 05:46 PM
Thanks to all of you, I was able to backup my files.

Thanks.