PDA

View Full Version : What are you currently reading?

CloudDragon
12-19-2005, 01:36 AM
There may be a thread like this lying around, but I just did a search and couldn't find it anywhere. Besides, there's not enough threads about books in this forum.

What books are you currenty reading right now? Being a fan of the fantasy genre, I'm on Robert Jordan's Eleventh Book of the Wheel of Time Series, <i>Knife of Dreams</i>. After that I've got a long list to choose from as to what to start next, but I've got it narrowed down to either Paolini's <i>Eragon</i>, Martin's <i>A Game Of Thrones</i>, and Weis & Hackman's <i>Dragon Wing</i>.

Shoeberto
12-19-2005, 01:38 AM
Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger

Bendak
12-19-2005, 01:38 AM
RA Salvatore's The Silent Blade, the 11th book of the Drizzt Do'Urden series.

Venom
12-19-2005, 01:39 AM
Someones Post.

crashNUMBERS
12-19-2005, 01:40 AM
I just finished readin "<I>Lisa's War</I>" and Im currently reading "<I>Maniac Magee</I>"...

Skarr
12-19-2005, 01:45 AM
The instrution booklet for Pokemon fire-red.

CloudDragon
12-19-2005, 01:47 AM
Let's try to keep this thread book related as I mentioned in the first post. There was a time I would've laughed at that kind of post, but in reality it's just ridiculous spam.

Skarr
12-19-2005, 01:51 AM
Yeah, you're probably right. But you asked.

Epiphany
12-19-2005, 01:58 AM
Stephen King's Black House after this I'll probably read Les Miserables again. Maybe I'll read the Dark Towers series again.

CloudDragon
12-19-2005, 02:05 AM
Yeah, you're probably right. But you asked.

This is what I asked:

What <b>books</b> are you currenty reading right now?

kikimm
12-19-2005, 02:28 AM
Personally, I think you should start A Game of Thrones next. ;D

But I'm reading The Samurai's Garden by Gail Tsukiyama, The Ill-Made Mute by Cecilia Dart-Thornton, and A Song for Arbonne by Guy Gavriel Kay. I can't stand GGK, but I want to get through this book for some reason.

CloudDragon
12-19-2005, 02:47 AM
I am starting that next actually. I found out someone I work with just started that book, and I'm starting that next so we can have discussion on it and such.

Dolentrean
12-19-2005, 03:00 AM
Snow falling on ceaders, I forget who its by

Epiphany
12-19-2005, 03:05 AM
Im currently reading "<I>Maniac Magee</I>"...

I just noticed this. I had to read this book in 5th grade, quite a good book. Still like to read it infact, just as something quick.

Rusty
12-19-2005, 03:35 AM
I am reading 'The Ellie Chronicles - Incurable'.

eestlinc
12-19-2005, 03:54 AM
Snow falling on ceaders, I forget who its by
David Guterson. I had to read that in high school. It was mostly annoying, but decent.

I just finished <i>V.</i> by Thomas Pynchon, which was amazing. I've got a bunch of books I could read now, most likely I'll start up a biography of the composer Alfred Schnittke that I just got, or maybe Pynchon's much shorter <i>The Crying of Lot 49</i> in the next couple days.

Del Murder
12-19-2005, 04:49 AM
Dumas - <i>The Count of Monte Cristo</i>

Germ Hamee
12-19-2005, 04:56 AM
A Clash of Kings, by George RR Martin. I'm surprised at how quickly it hooked me; the previous book took me a long time to get into. My biggest issue so far is trying to remember the buttload of charactors. Aye. >.>

Calliope
12-19-2005, 05:43 AM
David Guterson. I had to read that in high school. It was mostly annoying, but decent.

The ending always pisses me off.

Milano: How can you wade through it? Joe and I have read about one Dumas between us, but it's too tedious for us to finish either of them on our own. We tried different ones. I want to watch that movie, though, because it's great.

I am currently reading the selected writings of Andre Breton.

Del Murder
12-19-2005, 06:12 AM
I find their way of life amusing. The movie is pretty good.

What were the books you guys read? I also read The Three Musketeers and The Man in the Iron Mask. Those were more tedious, but Musketeers was good.

Casey
12-19-2005, 08:48 AM
A Purpose Driven Life, by (i forgot who)

and it's just a book where you ponder the meaning of life, you read these mini chapters each one a day, and for 40 days. It's said to change your life or somthing...

Lalvarien
12-19-2005, 10:02 AM
I have, what I like to call.. uh.. I forget what, but I have it. Anyway, i really like to read, but, I always stop reading half way through a book. It's a serious problem, I like reading so much, but I never finish a book. so right now, I'm technically reading, Regulators, Desperation, Exile, Soujourn, Homeland, Crystal Shard, The Ultimate Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy and Bag of Bones.

Azure Chrysanthemum
12-19-2005, 10:22 AM
As of tonight I have just finished Lamb: the Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal. Due to some early Christmas gifts, I actually have some books to read, which makes me happy.

Next up is Annihilation from the War of the Spider Queen series, which will be followed by Amber and Ashes from the Dark Disciple series.

crashNUMBERS
12-19-2005, 12:33 PM
I just noticed this. I had to read this book in 5th grade, quite a good book. Still like to read it infact, just as something quick.
Yeah it really is!! Im on Part III of the story. I think chapter 34/42...

SammieBabe
12-19-2005, 12:53 PM
Stephen King's Black House after this I'll probably read Les Miserables again. Maybe I'll read the Dark Towers series again.

Les Miserables=:love:

I just finished reading the sequel to 'Wicked' by Gregory Maguire. It's called 'Son of Witch.'
It wasn't as good as the first, but entertaining none the less...

~SapphireStar~
12-19-2005, 01:20 PM
Im currently reading The Lion, The Witch & The Wardobe and Im enjoying myself :D

Epiphany
12-19-2005, 01:42 PM
Regulators, and Bag of Bones.

The Regulators gave me nightmares and I can't look at Vans correctly anymore. Bag of Bones was phenomenal but a total "mess-with-your-mind" book. I believe there was talk about making some of King's books into pop-up books for little kids..and Bag of Bones was one mentioned. I can't see that working very well. I think The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon was actually published as one, and while that's one of his more tame books I still can't see a kid enjoying it.

Zante
12-19-2005, 01:56 PM
Currently reading Eldest from Christopher Paolini.

Skarr
12-20-2005, 12:13 AM
Reading-The Corner Store by Albert Idell. Happy now?

Also, who says the Pokemon Fire Red instrution booklet isn't a book?

Venom
12-20-2005, 12:14 AM
Im reading a book on The Roman Ruler Nero.

Aurey
12-20-2005, 12:30 AM
I'm sort of reading Life Of Pi by Yann Martel. I got it out of my high school's library about two weeks ago and I've only read ten to thirteen pages.

If I don't get around to reading it, which I probably won't, I'm going to move on to Skinny by Ibi Kaslik and/or The Wind Up Bird Chronicle by Haruki Murakami.

Rye
12-20-2005, 12:40 AM
I finished rereading Harry Potter and the HBP yesterday, but I'm gonna read Memoirs of a Geisha soon. :)

Madame Adequate
12-20-2005, 01:08 AM
Currently I'm reading Consider Phlebas by Iain M. Banks. I've also got Use of Weapons, The State Of The Art, and The Player Of Games lined up. The Culture wins.

Oh, and because I'm editing it, I'm re-reading my own stuff a lot as well.

CloudDragon
12-20-2005, 03:23 AM
The 'let' at the end of booklet is there for a reason. It's a booklet. An instruction booklet, not a book.

I'm going to read Paolini's books eventually. I remember someone mentioned they were reading Eldest currently.

Resha
12-20-2005, 03:28 AM
I just finished reading "The Catcher in the Rye", and now I'm starting "Atlas Shrugged". :)

CloudDragon
12-20-2005, 03:30 AM
I just finished reading "The Catcher in the Rye", and now I'm starting "Atlas Shrugged". :)

Resha, have you finished Knife of Dreams yet?

Resha
12-20-2005, 03:32 AM
Resha, have you finished Knife of Dreams yet?
I just saw it in the bookstores the day before yesterday; I think it got here kinda late. Now I need to save enough money to buy it, so no. :( But dammy, it's so thick and it looks beautiful! Have you finished it?

I'm also reading "The Great Gatsby" simultaneously. (To stay on topic!)

xX.Silver.Wings.Xx
12-20-2005, 02:36 PM
Lirael by Garth Nix

Itsunari 2000
12-20-2005, 04:19 PM

Yes, I must have read " Rye " at least three times in the past month - I'm studying it for my dissertation you see. Great book. I mean ... " Boy. It sure was a good book and all. It knocked me out. It really did. " :)

Right now, I've just finished Great Expectations by Charles Dickens and I'm about halfway through Perdido Street Station by China Mieville.

CloudDragon
12-20-2005, 05:41 PM
The Great Gatsby was a very interesting read.

I finished Knife of Dreams only yesterday, and I just read the Prologue to Martin's <i>A Game of Thrones</i>.

Strider
12-20-2005, 05:53 PM
Oh, man, I hated The Great Gatsby.

Right now, I'm reading The Education of a Coach by David Halberstam.

CloudDragon
12-21-2005, 08:21 PM
What were your reasons Strider?

I'm just a few chapters into <i>A Game of Thrones</i> by George R.R. Martin, respectively.

Shoden
12-21-2005, 08:22 PM
I've got Moby Dick on my shelf and I'm going to attempt that.

Psydekick
12-21-2005, 08:28 PM
I'm reading Ark angel by Anthony horowitz it is quite good.

jrgen
12-21-2005, 08:31 PM
Currently reading Franz Kafka's "Der Prozess".

Psydekick
12-21-2005, 08:34 PM
I've also just read "The penultimate peril" it was ok.:choc2:

Rase
12-21-2005, 08:40 PM
Dave Barry in Cyberspace, by former humor columnist Dave Barry. I enjoy his comedic way of writing, and the book has so far given me plenty of chuckles.

Psydekick
12-21-2005, 08:44 PM
I much prefer reading magazines rather than books.

Lalvarien
12-21-2005, 09:25 PM
short attention span, that's what I have.. finally remembered it. anyway, I never got far in bag of bones, like one chapter about the guy finding out about his wife. always wanted to go back to it.

I've been like a quarter of the way through regulators for like 7 years now.. I remember the rolling death part and then some kind of distorting to the world and remember suspecting the mentally challenged kid of some crap, but it's been so long, I might be running this book together with another book. sort of like how I run all my zombie movies together into one weird ass movie.

Pouring Rain
12-21-2005, 09:30 PM
From the Mixed-up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler. It's for school.

Pauten
12-21-2005, 09:42 PM
The Biggest Secret - David Icke

crashNUMBERS
12-21-2005, 10:21 PM
I finished reading Maniac Magee. It's a really good book. I'd probably give it a 9.2. It's good and all but there are some flaws, like how he suddenly turns to Grayson's and leaves the Beals' household. The ending of the book was awesome. Well, not the last page but the part of Jeffery, Amanda and Mars Bar were all talking and such. Great...

Memoria
12-21-2005, 10:23 PM
Full Metal Alchemist volume 3. Because I love manga. :3

Psydekick
12-22-2005, 09:01 AM
I used to read loads when I was about 8 butt growing up I found better things to do (enter ps2)

Strider
12-22-2005, 09:21 AM
CD, I just found the whole story to be terribly boring. My mom actually recommended it to me, so I gave her grief about it after the fact. :p

Psydekick
12-22-2005, 09:24 AM
Captain Underpants series by Dav pilkey is my favourite young children series.

Shoeberto
12-23-2005, 01:58 AM
The next book I plan on reading is Alpha Squad 7: Lady Nocturne: A Tek Jansen Adventure, by Stephen Colbert

dragoonknight_kain
12-23-2005, 03:11 AM
The Hitchhike's Guide to the Galaxy. I'll start the third book. (I'm not sure if this is the right name, cuz I don't live in an English speaking country, so I read a translated version. Anyway, it's something like that and the author is Douglas Adams).

SummonerYuna
12-23-2005, 03:17 AM
I'm reading inkheart. It's real good book(about dragons)!!! :D :D :D

Ruskies
12-28-2005, 08:00 AM
-Economic and Philosophic Manuscripts of 1844 Karl Marx and the communist manifesto by: Karl Marx and Frederick Engels

-and The Will to Power by:Friedrich Nietzsche

...I hate college:(

nik0tine
12-28-2005, 08:17 AM
Bach - Jesu, Joy of Mans Desiring.

fire_of_avalon
12-28-2005, 01:16 PM
I finished reading Maniac Magee. It's a really good book. I'd probably give it a 9.2. It's good and all but there are some flaws, like how he suddenly turns to Grayson's and leaves the Beals' household. The ending of the book was awesome. Well, not the last page but the part of Jeffery, Amanda and Mars Bar were all talking and such. Great...
Wow, I remember that book! I'm going to have to read it again, now.

After I finish Wolves of the Calla. Got it for Christmas, and I'm going to start it this afternoon while I'm waiting to pick up my dad. I'll honestly probably be done with it sometime tomorrow if I don't break for games. I shouldn't eat my books so quickly.

After this, I might go buy either Brave New World by Aldous Huxley or How the Light Gets In, but I can't remember who that's by. I've only read the back flap, but it does look very good.