PDA

View Full Version : need help choosing a good RPG

Ultima_Weapon
12-20-2005, 01:26 AM
Ok since FFXII is coming out like in 9 months I decided to buy a game to keep me busy until than but the problem is I have never really tryed to find out other RPG's other than FF series. If you guys think theres one available for me and It's very enjoyable please post down on your thoughts/opinions, the only RPG games i ever played were FF7, FF8, FF9 and FF10..... Thanks.

Looks like theres 3 other threads the same as this sorry i dont know what just happend =/.

Edit by Kishi: Don't double-post.

kikimm
12-20-2005, 01:34 AM
It's cool, don't worry about it. I'll just close this one.

I know this was a sort of special case, but don't double post in the future! :D

Kawaii Ryűkishi
12-20-2005, 01:35 AM
Aaaand I'll just open this since I just deleted the other three.

Zeromus_X
12-20-2005, 01:38 AM
kingdom hearts and star ocean?

those are really fun. (i dunno about KH, it has ff characters in it, so i dont know if it counts.)

hmm..chrono trigger, chrono cross, the mana games, legend of dragoon...the list goes on.

oh, and what about that radiata stories? ive never played it, so i dont know if its good or not.

SO , KH, and the mana games are live-action rpgs i guess, but if youre not used to those , you should play the chrono games. (but start with trigger.)

lets just pick a random game from the pile...:p

Ultima_Weapon
12-20-2005, 02:02 AM
kingdom hearts and star ocean?

those are really fun. (i dunno about KH, it has ff characters in it, so i dont know if it counts.)

hmm..chrono trigger, chrono cross, the mana games, legend of dragoon...the list goes on.

oh, and what about that radiata stories? ive never played it, so i dont know if its good or not.

SO , KH, and the mana games are live-action rpgs i guess, but if youre not used to those , you should play the chrono games. (but start with trigger.)

lets just pick a random game from the pile...:p

Thanks but KH looks too cartoonish and cheesy to me, my little bro played it and he told me it definatley wouldn't suit you. I also played legend of dragoon and returned it ASAP!! chrono cross and trigger are no longer available in stores and I think i'll end up going for PS2 rpg's... do you have any good games on them? I'm guessing either Shadow hearts 2, radiata stories or Xenosaga...

PS- Mods i apologise for the accident and the double posting thing wont happen again. ^^

Cruise Control
12-20-2005, 02:35 AM
Radiata Stories is uber pimp. Or, if it's out of your price range, get Legend of Dragoon, it's kick-ass, and only $10.

Lost Number
12-20-2005, 08:05 PM
I know where you can get the old FFs and other Square games. For free. Try www.snesorama.us .

Crossblades
12-20-2005, 10:23 PM
If you have an SNES emulator, try these

Tales of Phantasia
Seiken Desentsu 3
Super Mario RPG
Earthbound
Chrono Trigger
Lufia I
Lufia II
Star Ocean
Breath of Fire
Breath of Fire II
Dragon Quest I and II
Dragon Quest III

DJZen
12-21-2005, 02:11 AM
Square's Tom Sawyer

Memoria
12-21-2005, 10:03 PM
Hmm.

I like the Chrono series as much as the next rabid fangirl, but if you have a gamecube, I strongly urge everyone to try Tales of Symphonia. It's a beautifully created RPG by Namco. I can't leave it alone. It often enfringes on my FF playing time.

I also like to play the light hearted Pokemon series, it's actually really good. I can't get enough of it.

Other than Square's FF series, I play Nintendo's Pokemon and Legend of Zelda, then I also like the Tales of Series by Namco. ^_^

Lalvarien
12-24-2005, 11:28 PM
go ahead with Shadow Hearts in my opinion, graphics wise they arent perfect, especially the first one by current standards, but the second one holds its own. not enough voice acting though, but at times, that's sort of a good thing... very interesting characters in each, better development in the second one though. story is great but slightly cheesy at moments. I'd play both if you can and haven't already.

DocFrance
12-25-2005, 12:18 AM
The Suikoden series will make you forget all about Final Fantasy.

CloudDragon
12-25-2005, 12:21 AM
Games you can find available on the PS1:
FF Anthology - With FFV & VI
FF Chronoicles - With FFIV & Chrono Trigger
FF Origins - With FFI & II
Xenogears
Legend of Legaia
Suikoden
Lunar:SSSC & Lunar Eternal Blue Complete

Just a few to try out.

Paninipower123
12-25-2005, 12:26 AM
I just started Dragon Quest 8 and thats a good one
and if not that then try an online RPG
www.battleon.com
Adventure Quest is good. :)

raskerino
12-25-2005, 12:30 AM
Within the Ps2 range of games:

SO3: Good game, with a very fun battle system, didn't catch me. 7/10

Xenosaga: Excellent, in depth story with an OK battle system and somewhat bland graphics. 7.8/10

Grandia 2: It started really well but got incredibly cheesy by the end. 6.4/10

Suikoden 4: Didn't like the story, characters were bland, gameplay was a weak version of what you normally see and the main character was fugly. 4/10

KH: I have a grudge against this game, it was... shall we say... problematic and hugely overrated. 3.8/10

SH: Wonderful series, the first has a good dark feel and the second is stunningly well done (while you don't need to it's much better to play SH before SH2). 8/10 and 9.5/10

If your willing to go PS1 here are some games:

Chrono Trigger: Wonderful fun feel, highly enjoyable game. 8/10

Chrono Cross: Has the feel of CT and a wonderful storyline. 8.8/10

FFT: Just in case you haven't played it, as it's not part of the main series- great storyline and strategy rpg battle system. 8.5/10

Xenogears- I like it but got a little bored and stopped. 7.3/10

Hope these suggestions help.

X-Dragon
12-25-2005, 01:13 AM
Get Legaia 2 duel saga on ps2

Dragoon Kain
12-25-2005, 05:37 AM
shadow hearts 1 and 2 and for the heck of it play koudelka too. best games ever.

NeoCracker
12-25-2005, 06:57 AM
I'd Definately Recomend the Xenosaga Series.
Also there's Phantom Brave and LA Pucelle tactics, both have similarities to the FFT battle system. Shadow Hearts was sweet, excpecially the pro-wrestling vampire obsessed with Justice. And the Wild arm Games were awsome, exspecially 2, OOOh, Rail Gun, *drool*
Can't forget Katamari Damacy either. I will say it is an RPG even though it isn't, because its fun.

Dreddz
12-27-2005, 02:46 PM
I'd recommened Dark Chronicle as my first choice, that will own your life after a while, its a Epic and Mammoth game, get it.
If not, Alundra good, if you like action rpgs that ix. Xenogears is an obvious choice, but if you live anywhere besides USA and Japan, you probably wont be able to get it.