PDA

View Full Version : Good Parenting

Flying Mullet
12-20-2005, 03:29 PM
<a href="http://xboxfor100.ytmnd.com/">I wish I could give these parents a high-five for actually having the balls to do this.</a>

Obstacle
12-20-2005, 03:33 PM
Here, here. Now that's some imaginative punishment - me thinks we've found a replacement for capital punishment? I just pray i was never that irritating when i was very young, though i am still quite.

Old Manus
12-20-2005, 03:35 PM
I would buy it

Hawkeye
12-20-2005, 03:37 PM
That is the best thing, ever. Good job!

Sasquatch
12-20-2005, 03:49 PM
They could have solved the problem from the get-go by smacking the little bastard every time he disrespected one of them.

But that'll work too.

Zante
12-20-2005, 04:01 PM
Thats obviously a hoax. Why the hell would he want an X-Box :p
Jokes aside, I guess he had it comming. I'd like to see his face when he finds the coal, must be worth it. :radred:

They could have solved the problem from the get-go by smacking the little bastard every time he disrespected one of them.

Hitting children is bad.

ThroneofDravaris
12-20-2005, 04:10 PM
Wow, you would have to be a sick, sadistic bastard to go that far. Sure, send back the X-Box; if he’s been a little s@#$ he probably doesn’t deserve it. However, the coal part is completely f@#$ed up...

Meat Puppet
12-20-2005, 04:51 PM
My dad has done that to me once or twice.

tailz
12-20-2005, 05:01 PM
Hitting children is bad.

not always ( i will not tell why i think this caus ill get flamed for that and badly)

now thats something i could have come up with excpet i would have made it even cheaper maybe giving him a box of air with charkcoal a hyperactive angry brat and a house combined, I dont think i want to know waht will happen that night.

but really how those the kid knows hel get a xbox360 i mean i always looked for my presents but I was never able too find them (except the ones i got from my sis she used the same hiding spot every year)

but still this is a good punishment for a brat like that gome on if some brat (no matter if it would be my own) kicked hit or destroyed my stereo set i probably would have gone berserk (well espescally if it was my own really grounded for 3 months isnt funny when you are forbidden to watch tv and play games I know because i hadthis it did help though)

Leeza
12-20-2005, 05:05 PM
In most cases, I believe bad parenting gets you to that point in the first place. And <i>smacking the little bastard</i> is the worst form of bad parenting. Treat any kid like a normal person and 90% of problems wouldn't even be there. This little <i>joke</i> is just going to backfire and the kid will be far worse to everyone for it.

Zeldy
12-20-2005, 05:06 PM
Hahaha. That kid needs a good seeing to though. But yeah, who would want an Xbox? tssk.

ScottNUMBERS
12-20-2005, 05:12 PM
My mum was actually going to play a similiar trick on my cousin. (True story) Normal X-box in a X-box360 box. Laughs all 'round. :lol: (Except for my cousin)

KentaRawr!
12-20-2005, 05:16 PM
In most cases, I believe bad parenting gets you to that point in the first place. And <i>smacking the little bastard</i> is the worst form of bad parenting. Treat any kid like a normal person and 90% of problems wouldn't even be there. This little <i>joke</i> is just going to backfire and the kid will be far worse to everyone for it.

EXACTLY.

Rainecloud
12-20-2005, 05:32 PM
I'm tempted to say that the parents are being too strict ... but perhaps the kid deserves it.

He'll enjoy his christmas coal, no doubt. :/

Sasquatch
12-20-2005, 05:41 PM
Hitting children is bad.

I know well the difference between abuse and physical discipline. I didn't say to beat the kid. There's absolutel nothing wrong with discplining a child.

And the kid isn't a "normal person", he's a kid, and he has rules to follow because he's a kid that "normal people" already know. Thinks like "don't throw tantrums", "respect people" (especially the authorities, in this case his parents), and "don't kick my $2000 stereo".

ThroneofDravaris
12-20-2005, 05:47 PM
Bing Crosby: If your kids give you any lip you can beat them with a sack of sweet Velency Oranges. They won't leave a bruise and it'll let 'em know who's boss, there's nooo doubt about it.

Sasquatch
12-20-2005, 05:57 PM
Bing Crosby: If your kids give you any lip you can beat them with a sack of sweet Velency Oranges. They won't leave a bruise and it'll let 'em know who's boss, there's nooo doubt about it.

I read that as "Bill Cosby" the first time!

Zante
12-20-2005, 06:04 PM
I know well the difference between abuse and physical discipline. I didn't say to beat the kid. There's absolutel nothing wrong with discplining a child.

And the kid isn't a "normal person", he's a kid, and he has rules to follow because he's a kid that "normal people" already know. Thinks like "don't throw tantrums", "respect people" (especially the authorities, in this case his parents), and "don't kick my $2000 stereo".

I can't agree with that. Hitting the kid even once is terrible imho. There are much better ways of punishment, ones that don't involve pain. If someone has to use physical force to deal with their kids, they don't deserve to be parents in the first place.

And kids are normal people, and should be threated as such.

rubah
12-20-2005, 06:09 PM
My parents used to spank me with a flyswatter until I was about five.

It was more shameful than painful, as best as I can remember.

(there was also go to your room and count to 100)

faster skating penguin
12-20-2005, 06:17 PM
if the parents themselves can set a good example discipline in any form will hardly be needed

obviously not the case with 99% of parents, though

rubah
12-20-2005, 06:21 PM
Parents are not the only role models kids have.

Lots of times they're 9-5ers or work first shift, so young kids get sent off to daycare, where they can learn violence and bad habits from the other kids (or they can learn to open soda cans a new way, or get the idea that desecrating any sort of structure is bad, because when they're wood structures, the trees that provided the wood are in pain-.-) or from watching the power rangers xD

Then when they're older they have to go to school instead. And if they picked up too many bad habits, they'll be jaded to the shame of getting their card flipped or staying in at recess.

Shlup
12-20-2005, 07:11 PM
I can't say they're wrong for selling the XBox, but they're really doing it in an awful way. Leeza's right, this is going to backfire. Children need to know the consequences of their actions before they happen; they don't have the mental capacity to do much in the way of predicting consequences on their own. Surprising the kid is really, really messed up.

And physically "disciplining" your child is just plain an inferior "teaching" method, and though it may work in the short term, it's basically the equivilant of sticking your finger in the dam and watching the cracks spread around your finger. For some reason I find it hard to approve of parenting methods because they get some immediate effect and ignore the consequences when you could just, you know, be a good parent.

Meat Puppet
12-20-2005, 07:21 PM
Hasn't this been out since sega master system anyway? They probably just make slight changes to the story as fashion dictates.

Old Manus
12-20-2005, 07:26 PM
EoFF is full of liberals

Leeza
12-20-2005, 07:30 PM

Spoken just like someone who does not have any children.

No form of physical punishment is ever necessary. And I am speaking from experience.

He might be a kid, but he's still a little person and deserves to be treated as such. In the case of kicking in the stereo system...you can ask yourself why he would do that in the first place? The answer usually will come down to either trying to get back at something the parents have done to him before or incorrect upbringing in the first place. It's seldom that you actually get a child that would do something like that just for the heck of it. Understand where the kid is coming from and deal with that end of things first, not the resulting end which results in stereos getting kicked in.

Psychotic
12-20-2005, 07:52 PM
EoFF is full of liberalsBUSH IS THE BEST PRESIDENT EVER BECAUSE HE'S HANDSOME YOU LEFTIE DORKS! GO GO TEAM REPUBLICAN! :cool:

Hasn't this type of thing been done before? I distinctly remember some guy selling his son's PS2 on eBay.

Shlup
12-20-2005, 08:01 PM
Hasn't this type of thing been done before? I distinctly remember some guy selling his son's PS2 on eBay.
Yeah, I'm mostly sure it's a hoax. Or an entirely fake screenshot. Most parents don't consider discipline (even bad discipline) as "revenge." xD

Rye
12-20-2005, 08:01 PM
That's great that they're doing that, but the kid is going to be more of a brat now. :(

Cz
12-20-2005, 08:22 PM
The kid deserves it if you ask me, but satisfying though the punishment may be, it's not going to help the situation one bit, and is definitely not the right way to go. Smacking isn't the solution either, so the trick is finding a firm but reasonable punishment.

Roto13
12-20-2005, 08:32 PM
If it was real, it's probably been sold by now. (http://kansascity.craigslist.org/ele/118943740.html)

Hey, don't diss the occasional smack. Worked for me. I was better behaved than any of you. Just a little judgemental.

-N-
12-20-2005, 08:36 PM
Kill the kid and make another one.

:shifty:

Strider
12-20-2005, 08:38 PM
See, I was raised with a *thwap* now and then. That's just how old fashioned Mexicans are... It's the same way my mom was raised and my grandparents, and we've all turned out alright.

I was watching this George Lopez standup special on Comedy Central the other day, and everything he was talking about is so true. *thwap* Why you crying? My mom and I kept waiting for him to say, "I'll give you something to cry about!" I guess you wouldn't really understand if you weren't Mexican. :p

Shlup
12-20-2005, 09:19 PM
"We all turned out alright" is... dumb. People keep saying that. Yeah, kids who get raped usually turn out "alright," but it's still better to not get raped. And, no, I don't think getting smacked it nearly as bad as child rape; it's just the first example that came to mind.

Why use more effective and positive parenting and raise better people when you can just smack them and raise people that came out alright? Raising children is not the place to get lazy.

Leeza
12-20-2005, 09:27 PM
My mom and I kept waiting for him to say, "I'll give you something to cry about!" I guess you wouldn't really understand if you weren't Mexican.
I understand it perfectly and I'm not Mexican. It was a terrible feeling and did not produce loving feelings towards my parents. Just resentment. Mind you, yes I still loved them, but that resentment lasts a long time and if it happened to a different kid I could see the <i>smashing in the stereo</i> part coming into play.

rubah
12-20-2005, 09:29 PM
What about yelling?

I know I would rather be spanked than yelled at any time.

Strider
12-20-2005, 09:35 PM
Well, it wasn't all the time.

Roto13
12-20-2005, 09:39 PM
Spanking =/= smacking your kids around every day.

Venom
12-20-2005, 09:44 PM
Meh, I only listened to the theme music, everything else wasnt too interesting...

Old Manus
12-20-2005, 09:48 PM
In Soviet Russia, child discipline YOU

nik0tine
12-20-2005, 09:49 PM
Selling the Xbox is one thing. Fucking around with your kids like this is another. These are simply bad (and probably unintelligent) parents.

...If they really exist, that is.

Winter Nights
12-21-2005, 12:18 AM
I'm not saying wrong or right, but it's my experience that parents who refrain from spankings altogether have horrible children. No kid cares if you put them in a corner or take away their toys for awhile. They'll be pissed for a bit, but it's not going to give them a reason to not do the act again. That may work for preteens or teens, but that never worked for me as a kid.

I'm not saying tear their tail up everytime they misbehave. But, stronger disobedience sometimes takes stronger punishment.

And while that link is funny.. if real, it will backfire completely.

Rusty
12-21-2005, 02:58 AM
Selling the kids X-box is a brilliant idea. I'm not sure I agree with the box of coal on a Christmas morning though - that seems to be taking it really far. Seeing as I think when a child does something wrong you should punish them at the time for it, not carry it on for weeks. But, the kid deserves to have his X-box sold. I'd do the same thing.

Zante
12-21-2005, 06:31 AM
I'm not saying wrong or right, but it's my experience that parents who refrain from spankings altogether have horrible children. No kid cares if you put them in a corner or take away their toys for awhile. They'll be pissed for a bit, but it's not going to give them a reason to not do the act again. That may work for preteens or teens, but that never worked for me as a kid.

I was never spanked I'm definitely not horible.

Winter Nights
12-21-2005, 06:54 AM
As I said.. In my experience.

kikimm
12-21-2005, 07:00 AM
I think I'm with Leeza on this one. I was also spanked, and, I know it's surprising, but it's really not all that great! :) Sure, it gets the point across, and I just might be better behaved because of it, but it also helped screw my relationship up with my dad. I don't think that's what he wanted when he hit me.

Vyk
12-21-2005, 07:55 AM
I am sadistically amused. And it said in the link the kid kicked the stereo not because of something the parents did, but because they wouldn't give him the x-box early. He threw a tantrum. He's a brat. But I'm biased. I can't sympathize with a regular kid, let alone a whiney bratty one. Realistically, ruining the kid's christmas might be a little traumatic. But for that sadistic pleasure I think I'd like to see it video taped. Show that to kids that misbehave, and make them question their motives. They might behave better. And no beatings involved.

Mittopotahis
12-21-2005, 08:27 AM
I think that is taking it a bit too far. If he is being a little bugger, deal with it. don't give it to him, he has to wait for Christmas. If he damaged the sound system, take it back. If it works fine, maybe play a prank or something, so he is sad for about an hour or so. replacing it with charcoal is just plain mean. I know i would be so angry if i found charcoal, and probably cry (coming from a 15 year old guy). But then i would just buy it with my own money a month later. No harm done.

But I question how real it is. No one has a heart that little.

DarkLadyNyara
01-17-2006, 03:35 AM

Amen. How old is the kid, anyway? If their young, then the parents may have gone a bit far, but not for someone in their teens. Oh, and, yes, there is a HUGE difference between discipline and abuse. Even physical disipline. Believe me, I know. I've experienced both. (not from the same person.)

Raistlin
01-17-2006, 05:28 AM
I agree with Leeza: for the kid to be acting like that much of a spoiled brat means he probably was just that: a spoiled rotten brat. That sort of situation resulted from bad parenting in the first place.

And there are much better ways of discipline than physical ones.

Anaisa
01-17-2006, 12:05 PM
It appears that the little sod deserves it, so I think its a great idea. If more kids got this sort of treatment we'd have alot less brats running around. I also think that once he's opened up his box of coal, if he starts misbehaving they should then hurl pieces of coal at him, until he behaves himself.

black orb
01-17-2006, 12:26 PM
>>> Coal isnt that bad you know, it has its uses too.. When I was a kid I really wanted coal for christmas, but my mom didnt give me any :(..
Anyways, play with coal is funnier than a Xbox..

Madame Adequate
01-17-2006, 12:39 PM
It appears that the little sod deserves it, so I think its a great idea. If more kids got this sort of treatment we'd have alot less brats running around.

Yeah, just more kids who think it's perfectly acceptable to be cruel to someone.

Now, I'll assume it's real because it provides good grounds for discussion.

I think it entirely fair to punish the kid, and it seems as though they are at least making an effort to stop being bratty. On the other hand the nature of the punishment suggests that there's no real attempt at good parenting, merely vindictiveness. If it was merely witholding the 360 for a couple of weeks, for instance, and adding to it if he threw a tantrum or whatever, I'd think it a fine measure.

As has been said, kids don't end up like that unless they've been raised like that. So largely the parents have themselves to blame. It is there responsibility, and seeing as many people are so fond of implying that children are lesser beings and essentially owned by their parents, I'm afraid it entirely is up to the parents to make sure they don't come into contact with bad influences, even at daycare and such.

As to the methods of punishments, I think physical punishment is pretty terrible and in the overwhelmingly massive majority of cases, unwarranted. And in some cases punishment pretty much doesn't work. My parents tried lectures, they tried spanking, they tried grounding, and probably some stuff I can't remember. But I still misbheaved, 'cause I was one hell of a headstrong/arrogant kid, and I didn't really care. But when they sat down and actually talked and explained things (Differing from the lectures.) I usually listened. Certainly appreciated being credited with the intelligence to understand them.

Shaun
01-17-2006, 12:44 PM
I just think the kid needs to get a grip. He needs to be taught a lesson. It's as simple as that. But yes, it's sometimes the parents' fault too.

Anaisa
01-17-2006, 12:51 PM
Yeah, just more kids who think it's perfectly acceptable to be cruel to someone.
He's being cruel by behaving the way he does. So when he receives the same treatment he'll see what it feels like. If he sees that if he behaves badly thats the kind of treatment he'll get, it will soon stop him behaving in such a way.

Twisted Tinkerbell
01-17-2006, 01:31 PM
My mum never smacked me, and I don't think that smacking kids is right. My mum rarely even yelled at me. She just gave me this really scary look and lowered her voice. On more than one occation I thought she'd kill me when she did that. I turned out fine. Ok I can be a little rough at times, but that's more due to where I live, most the people I know round here have been mugged, threatened, the list goes on.

Dragon Ash
01-17-2006, 01:44 PM
When I have sprogs, i'm going to follow the bible of Super Nanny; for Jo is God and she knows how to smite those little demons! (With a little tender loving care!)

fire_of_avalon
01-17-2006, 02:55 PM
The kid has obviously learned this behavior from his parents. Afterall, they didn't do crap about the situation until the child kicked the father's stereo system.

DarkLadyNyara
01-17-2006, 10:06 PM
My grandma is against hitting kids, but when I was 4, I kicked her and she hit me back. Never did that again. There are times I'm suprised she didn't pop me one, cause I could be fucking vicious as a kid. I would have deserved it.

Vyk
01-17-2006, 11:53 PM
I wouldn't always jump to the parenting. This is an old thread but reading the new responses I think it's still relavent. Some kids are just evil (I apologize and I use the term loosely). I was a little monster when I was a child. Everything had to be my way or I'd raise hell, and it had nothing to do with what my parents did. It was just the way I was in my head. I grew out of it. Again, it really didn't have anything to do with my parents. I just suddenly started caring about things and people other than myself. Don't just assume the parents haven't tried. Sometimes there's no avoiding a horrible child