PDA

View Full Version : PSP or DS?

Rengori
12-20-2005, 10:57 PM
Should I keep my PSP and wait for something good to come out, or chuck it and get a DS? I've had it for 9 months and I've only been interested in the one game I have. Which is Darkstalkers. No, I don't like Burnout.

PS. No, I don't have a GBA. And FFIV is tempting.

Shoden
12-20-2005, 10:59 PM
Keep it, you can do alot more with it than just games.
the Ds has better and cooler games but the PSP does have better graphics and homebrew, the DS just has way cooler games and that's it.

Rainecloud
12-20-2005, 11:07 PM
The PSP is better in terms of hardware, etc (as you'll no doubt already know), but in my humble opinion, the DS is far better than the PSP in terms of gaming enjoyment. There are some great games on the PSP, I'll admit, but there are greater games on the DS; Sonic Rush, Mario Kart DS, Super Mario 64 DS and Burnout 3 to name a few.

Plus, you have a massive back catalogue of GBA games that you can play on your DS, such as Yoshi's Island, Super Mario World, Donkey Kong Country, and many other classics that you just can't beat.

Perhaps the PSP is better, but I'm a nostalgic person who's completely biased towards Nintendo. ;)

Rengori
12-20-2005, 11:10 PM
One word...well actually two
Crisis Core

I hope that answers your decision.
It did mine.
What's Crisis Core?

Shoden
12-20-2005, 11:11 PM
What's Crisis Core?

an FF7 prequel for the PSP!! that should be a good enough reason to keep it.

Rengori
12-20-2005, 11:15 PM
an FF7 prequel for the PSP!! that should be a good enough reason to keep it.
When is this coming out?

Shoden
12-20-2005, 11:19 PM
Next year I think, Do what I've done get a Ds aswell as a PSP.

Rengori
12-20-2005, 11:24 PM
I don't have that kind of money!

Shoden
12-20-2005, 11:26 PM
the DS is just around £100 around this time, January sales come and watch it go down to something like £80.

Rengori
12-20-2005, 11:31 PM
How much is that in US dollars?

Shoden
12-20-2005, 11:34 PM
US currency lets see

60 pence = 1 dollar so that's about double.

Rengori
12-20-2005, 11:35 PM
That can't be right, the DS is $150...

Dreddz
12-20-2005, 11:36 PM
Hmmmm, keep ya PSP, even if you are disliking its line up now ( which I find it hard to believe ), there is still lots to look forward to, and the PSP hasnt come close to its full potentional........

Shoden
12-20-2005, 11:39 PM
doing the conversion the US DS should be around $150-175.

Keep the PSP, it's the better console even though Ds has better games.

Rengori
12-20-2005, 11:41 PM
That makes no sense whatsoever.

omnitarian
12-21-2005, 12:11 AM
The DS is currently $120 US. There are two bundles (Mario Kart + red DS and Nintendogs + Teal DS) that cost $20-$30 more.

Black Mage
12-21-2005, 12:20 AM
Keep the PSP, it's the better console even though Ds has better games.
The PSP is better than the DS even though the DS has better games. Nice argument.

I'm a biased guy. I'll tell you to pick up the DS first every time you ask me. I'll admit that.

However, I will acknowledge that the PSP has its merits. Homebrew is nifty, as is its online browser and ability to play video files (Excluding UMDs). And, it's getting a considerable amount of PS1 ports, namely Valkyrie Profile: Lenneth. I don't see that as a bad thing at all.

I do prefer the DS though, as it caters more to the type of games I enjoy (read: Nintendo). Not to mention there're still many games yet to be released for it. Final Fantasy III, Tales of Tempest, Children of Mana, and Metroid Prime Hunters to name just a few. There's also quite a few already released that are amazing, Mario Kart DS, Mario & Luigi, Castlevania, Trauma Center: Under the Knife, and Meteos for examples.
And it doesn't have a FFVII spin-off coming out for it. That's even more of a reason to pick it over a PSP.

Shoden
12-21-2005, 12:23 AM
Good point but the PSP is a personal media player aswell as a Game console.

Anyway Devil May Cry, PSP ftw.

Slicksword45
12-21-2005, 12:36 AM
i have a DS but almost no games for it and none intress me. don't forget FFIII = DS

Ds is good but i'm not sure what the major thing would be

and how you don't like Burnout is beond me....

Rase
12-21-2005, 12:58 AM
I'm a biased guy. I'll tell you to pick up the DS first every time you ask me. I'll admit that.

:up:

As for reasons, well, I have a few that apply to me. The DS will be able to play FFI-VI without the need of emulators, so if you like those ones and aren't into ROM's, there you go. There are also a huge number of DS games that I've either played and like or know I would like, such as Castlevania: DoS, Mario Kart DS, Super Mario 64 DS, Advanced Wars: Dual Strike, and Nintendogs (shut up), plus all my favorite GBA games.

The PSP hasn't inticed me nearly as much, so for me the choice is clear. For you, well, if nothing I said sounds interesting to you, you might be better with the PSP.

Elite Lord Sigma
12-21-2005, 01:04 AM
I'm biased heavily towards Nintendo, that will be the first thing I'll admit. I think both are about equal. For gaming enjoyment, I'd choose the DS, but if you're into high-tech stuff, keep your PSP.

KentaRawr!
12-21-2005, 01:11 AM
Ask for the DS for Christmas. :p

Of course, you would tick off your parents doing so, as they probably finished shopping for you.

In terms of gaming, DS. The PSP is more like a handheld system. Not a handheld GAMING system, but it can do that, too.

fantasyjunkie
12-21-2005, 01:14 AM
Keep the PSP and get the DS on Lay Away. Thats what I did. That way you can pay in installments. Damn, I hate it when I have a typo and have to edit my post! LOL

Rengori
12-21-2005, 01:17 AM
Okay, before anyone else says anything about media players, I can borrow my mom's iPod and I got a portable DVD player (they were on sale!) for my birthday. And I only have a 32MB memory card, and all the other ones are at outrages prices.

Tifa's Real Lover(really
12-21-2005, 01:55 AM
Keep it, you can do alot more with it than just games.
enough sed:), but id get a ds too

TifaLockhart7
12-21-2005, 01:58 AM
Me want PSP AND DS!!!!! ^^

Alixsar
12-21-2005, 02:13 AM
Get a GBA. The PSP is lacking in software, and the DS is cool but doesn't really do much that a GBA can't. The DS is the way to go if you really want one of those two, though. Online Mario Kart, what?

Sephex
12-21-2005, 02:26 AM
I am not biased for the recrod. I have and like both the PSP and the DS in their own ways.

The DS has lots of games to choose from. Here is a list of great games (most of them I own):

*Super Mario 64
*Nintendogs
*Meteos
*Kirby's Canvas Curse
*Warioware:Twisted
*Super Mario Kart DS
*Animal Crossing:Wild World
*Mario & Luigi:Partners in Time
*Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow
*Advance Wars DS

The games just keep on coming. As people mentioned, FFIII should be coming stateside. I think it will be a worthy remake. Oh--and the battery life is FAN-freaking-TASTIC.

The PSP is a machine that does all sorts of nifty things. I have tons of songs on mine. When I went on vacation with my girlfriend's family, a mere 70 some songs kept me busy for the whole four to five hour car ride. You can also watch movies by illegal means (put them on your memory stick) and legitimate means (buy UMDs).

As far as gaming goes, I have been using my PSP to play classic NES and SNES games on the go. Of course this is illegal, but it's just as "bad" as having ROMS on your PC. Most NES game run perfectly while certain SNES games run almost perfectly. You have to overclock (if you ever do this, you'll know what I am talking about) your PSP to do that, though. However, that drains the battery MUCH faster than normal. And battery life isn't one of PSPs strong points either.

As far as normal games go, I can't really think of much that is really worth it. I only own:

*Lumines
*Hot Shots Golf: Open Tee

Lumines is THE GAME to get if you already own a PSP. It's pretty much the PSP's Tertis. The only other game I plan on getting is:

*Grand Theft Auto: Liberty City Stories

However, I heard the following list of games are good:

*Wipeout: Pure
*Ridge Racer PSP
*PoPoLoCrois
*Tokobot
*Metal Gear: AC!D (only if you are into card based games--this is NOT an action game!)

I seen a couple of people mention Crisis Core (FFVII spinoff game takes place before Cloud's flashback). While that might be interesting, keep in mind that it probably won't be nearly as deep as FFVII. DO NOT let a game with very little information released on it be a deciding factor for getting a PSP. I am not 100% sure about this, but it hasn't been confirmed for the US last I checked. Someone correct me if I am wrong, please.

There. I...didn't think I would go on like that. Just look at my points for both systems and decide what you want to do. This is how I would break it down if I were in your position.

If I am more concerned about games: Nintendo DS. Plenty of gold games for all kind of genres. Plus, the touch screen adds innovation that you can't find anywhere else.

If I am more concerned about multimedia: PSP. It may not have as many of great games as the DS, but the PSP can do many different things. The screen displays video games beautifuly, too.

Mo-Nercy
12-21-2005, 02:38 AM
If I wanted to play games, I stay home or go to the arcades. Handhelds have never really been all that appealing to me but the PSP changed all that with it's plethora of additional functions. It's awwwwsoooommme. I'm would get myself a PSP just so I can watch anime on the go if I had the cash.

Rengori
12-21-2005, 02:40 AM
Since everyone with a PSP isn't concerened about the key factor in gaming (GAMES!), I think I'll get a DS.

Mo-Nercy
12-21-2005, 02:52 AM
Can I have your PSP? :D

Rengori
12-21-2005, 03:23 AM
No. :D

The Shoeless Hobo
12-21-2005, 04:34 AM
Buy a PSP. I own a PSP. I've also owned 6 PSP games, but I sold them all. Because all I need is Homebrew. I love playing Chrono Trigger and Pokemon Red on my PSP. :p

Rengori
12-21-2005, 05:00 AM
Let me make this clear:
I OWN A PSP! I AM CONSIDERING SELLING IT FOR A DS!

Sephex
12-21-2005, 05:02 AM
Buy a PSP. I own a PSP. I've also owned 6 PSP games, but I sold them all. Because all I need is Homebrew. I love playing Chrono Trigger and Pokemon Red on my PSP. :p

How do you make games like CT run good? I can make mine barley work. You probably have a better emulator since I haven't downloaded one since they first started to create them for the PSP.

subaru
12-21-2005, 12:45 PM
DS.. PSP is crap value for money, get the DS!

The Shoeless Hobo
12-21-2005, 11:12 PM
How do you make games like CT run good? I can make mine barley work. You probably have a better emulator since I haven't downloaded one since they first started to create them for the PSP.

Go Here. (http://psp-news.dcemu.co.uk/) For a SNES emulator, I recommend you download SnesPSP TYL. BTW, you need either FW 1.o or 1.5 to run homebrew.

Shoden
12-21-2005, 11:14 PM
How do you get the version downgrader for the PSP so it can play Homebrew?