PDA

View Full Version : Animal Crossing supports music piracy?

Sephex
12-21-2005, 03:05 AM
This is pretty funny.

In spite of the open and free atmosphere of Nintendo's Animal Crossing videogames, you don't expect to come across social commentary within your conversations with the town animals, yet one player came across something curious from K.K. Slider, the guitar wielding dog that inhabits your town, in the Nintendo DS version.
When you sit down for a chat with K.K., he'll appear to start rapping on the state of the music industry and its attempts at discouraging piracy. "Those industry fat cats try to put a price on my music, but it wants to be free," he says before handing the player a copy of his music and a newfound sense of resentment against the RIAA.

In all likelihood, the translation team at Nintendo of America put that in there simply to poke fun, but Nintendo's already backpedaling. The New York Times contacted Nintendo VP of marketing and corporate affairs Perrin Kaplan, who plainly stated "no real social commentary was intended."

Instead, Kaplan said her interpretation of the comments meant K.K. wanted to be "freed from his guitar, free from any constraints," and "as a dog, it's understandable that he would not want to deal with any 'fat cats.'" That's a respectable spin on the topic, but it certainly comes across as Nintendo understandably distancing from the popular interpretation.

Social commentary or not, the fact that publications like The New York Times are picking up stories based on conversations with videogame characters is a testament to the kind of influence the world sees in videogames.

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3146485

Winter Nights
12-21-2005, 03:08 AM
Saw that earlier. Would have been funnier if Nintendo hadn't been such a pussy about it and made excuses.

edczxcvbnm
12-21-2005, 03:09 AM
I knew it! K.K. is the man...dog...mandog! ROCKTACULAR!

Lindy
12-21-2005, 03:11 AM
You're the man now dog!

Winter Nights
12-21-2005, 03:17 AM
I'm now gonna think of Sean Connery everytime I see that game.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
12-21-2005, 03:19 AM
Nintendo's localization team never stops giving me reasons to love it.

omnitarian
12-21-2005, 04:58 AM
I read the Times Article earlier today. Its awesomeness was truly sig-worthy.

"That was totally awesome!" Jaryd2006 said in response.

"I'm going to buy 'Animal Crossing' just for this," added an anonymous poster. And someone calling herself "Spooky Girl who like ice cream" volunteered: "Ah, ah excellent. A good point for the Big N," presumably referring to Nintendo.

A user called Yams also added "Yams yams yams yams yams."

Anyway, I fail to see how K.K. independently distributing his own music is an allegory for music piracy.

Tidus Andronicus
12-22-2005, 12:31 AM
I noticed this the saturday after I bought the game... xD

Was wondering when people would start talking about it... but its really nothing to freak out about... XD

although, the news sites do seem to forget, he's not just talking about not letting the 'industry fat cats' charge for his songs... he is also giving you a 'bootleg'! XD

SummonerYuna
12-22-2005, 12:58 AM
Ha! That is funny! I wonder what's gonna happen next.:D