PDA

View Full Version : Fads of the Past

Itsunari 2000
12-21-2005, 06:00 PM
Name and describe any fads within the past 25 years. Personally, I remember the piercing craze back in the late 90's, complimented with the bleaching of hair.

Craig
12-21-2005, 06:06 PM
Pokemon, Tamagotchis, Yo-Yos and those rubber bands.

Zeldy
12-21-2005, 06:14 PM
In my school we have new things every week. I think at the minute its the B'Oranges who are competing to see who can get away with the shortest skirt for school (You know, the girls who have Orange faces?) and us so-called "Goths" (which in Chav terms is anyone who likes Rock music) are wearing these pink headbands with a bow on them ^_^ [Pink headband with Bow] (http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a335/Zeldy/Amy.jpg)

Those bands with 'Life Strong' etc seem to have just disappeared. I still wear my 'Play Music' one though. 'Scoobies' were huge in my school too.

Rye
12-21-2005, 06:17 PM
Pokemon, Tamagotchis, Yo-Yos and those rubber bands.

Yes, along with the f*** bracelets (unless those are the rubber bands), and those stretchy bracelets with the pretty coloured milky beads on them and scrunchies and those bracelets that you could straighten, and if you slapped your wrist with one, it'd curl around your wrist. Slap bracelets?

Rase
12-21-2005, 06:28 PM
Pog.

It was Pog, right? This little poker chip-like things that you stored in big tubes? I think that's what they were called.

Craig
12-21-2005, 06:34 PM
I freaking love Pogs.

KentaRawr!
12-21-2005, 06:38 PM
Mood rings and slinkies. 'Nuf said.

Rainecloud
12-21-2005, 06:39 PM
Teenage Mutant Hero/Ninja Turtles.

Best fad ever.

Rase
12-21-2005, 06:40 PM
They were called Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles at one time?

KentaRawr!
12-21-2005, 06:43 PM
They were called Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles at one time?

That's what their first game was called. o.o (If I remember correctly.)

boris no no
12-21-2005, 06:48 PM
those bounce hopper things (not space hoppers) like a ball with a plastic hoop around that you held with your feet and jump
i had one at school.....12 years ago ;____;

Rainecloud
12-21-2005, 06:50 PM
That's what their first game was called. o.o (If I remember correctly.)

The 80's cartoon (based on the fad) was indeed called "Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles". Perhaps this wasn't violent enough, so they changed it to "Ninja Turtles" a few months later.

Rye
12-21-2005, 06:53 PM
those bounce hopper things (not space hoppers) like a ball with a plastic hoop around that you held with your feet and jump

I remember those. It was like a skip-it or something? I had one that took score on how many skips you made over the hoop. :D

rubah
12-21-2005, 07:21 PM
permed hair.

man I hated that.

also, hot colors. Hot pink, neon green, etc. I remember my sister explaining why hot pink was better than normal pink.

Boosk
12-21-2005, 07:30 PM

Yeah! I remember mine broke and you let me use yours *hugs* yay!!
anyone remember Tazos?
Pogs rocked so much. I had loads and lost them all :cry:
and shag bands. I remember my friend had them all the way up her arm!!

oh oh oh! And friendship braids!! We used to have clubs which showed us how to make all the different kinds!
Aw, being a kid was great!

Kagga:love:

rubah
12-21-2005, 07:44 PM
Yeah! I remember mine broke and you let me use yours *hugs* yay!!
anyone remember Tazos?
Pogs rocked so much. I had loads and lost them all :cry:
and shag bands. I remember my friend had them all the way up her arm!!

oh oh oh! And friendship braids!! We used to have clubs which showed us how to make all the different kinds!
Aw, being a kid was great!

Kagga:love:
Skip-It?

RE-Xander
12-21-2005, 07:55 PM
The best Fad ever was those little Tiger handheld video games. I still have my talking Street Fighter 2 Turbo one that took 4 AA batteries.

Oh and anything on YTMND.com was a fad at one point. Especially the new fad of Chuck Norris quotes. That's been going on at the RX7club for a few months now.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
12-21-2005, 08:05 PM
The 80's cartoon (based on the fad) was indeed called "Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles". Perhaps this wasn't violent enough, so they changed it to "Ninja Turtles" a few months later.It was always Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles in America. In Europe, the word "ninja" had violent connotations such that it wasn't allowed to be used in the name of such a product, so they called them the Hero Turtles over there. (This also caused Ninja Gaiden to be called "Blue Shadow," etc.) This has been relaxed in recent years, though.

Burtsplurt
12-21-2005, 08:35 PM
That rubbish TV programme with 5 brightly coloured morons who had big robots. I can't remember the name.

People liked that a lot at the time. Mainly people under the age of 4, but whatever.

Draylon sofas.

nik0tine
12-21-2005, 08:37 PM
BUMBLE BEE YO-YO'S!!

Lalvarien
12-21-2005, 09:42 PM
those shoes with the air pump, those were totally cool back in 1990. I felt like Mike. Pop country is a big fad around here, oh and acting like Nirvana is the greatest band ever, that's a huge fad.

Reles
12-21-2005, 09:48 PM
We should bring head bands back. I have so many freakin scrunchies from my childhood. OH! and tamadachi's those little pet things you took care of on a tiny screen. I remember mine started to beep in elementary school and my teacher took mine away, I was so upset.

-N-
12-21-2005, 10:38 PM
The Vin Diesel Fact Generator. (http://www.4q.cc/vin/index.php)