PDA

View Full Version : Yuna's eyes

Pauten
12-21-2005, 07:06 PM
Right, forgive me if this has been asked/answered before but whats the deal with Yuna's eyes? Has any reason ever been stated for the fact that they are different colours or is it just a little character design quirk?

rubah
12-21-2005, 07:33 PM
It is widely believed that her hetereochromia is a result of being half al bhed.

You'll notice that all al bhed have green eyes with the weird spiral pupil. So that means they're special. So by giving yuna one green and one blue eye, square hints at her ancestry.

Pauten
12-21-2005, 08:02 PM
Interesting, thanks for the info.

BG-57
12-21-2005, 10:17 PM
Presumably if the swirling green eyes were widely known as the hallmark of Al Bhed, then anyone of that descent could be easily identified (racial profiling anyone?), which may explain the goggle business.

Unfortunately, since mostly Al Bhed seem to wear goggles, they are still easy to pick out, so they've effectively hidden one badge under another.

That would explain how Wakka could be clueless that Rikku was Al Bhed and even more that Yuna was half Al Bhed.

On a side note, the Al Bhed we get to know well (Rikku, Rin, Brother, Cid) tend to forgo hiding under goggles. Maybe we would find it harder to identify with characters we can't see the eyes of?

Kawaii Ryûkishi
12-22-2005, 12:01 AM
It's an incongruent choice for Cid, considering his eyes were hidden in FFIII-V.

obsessed_wif_yuna
12-24-2005, 04:43 AM
i agree with all of the above explanations. but didnt anyone think that she was just born with different coloured eyes?some people are like that.

Tempest
12-24-2005, 05:10 AM
i agree with all of the above explanations. but didnt anyone think that she was just born with different coloured eyes?some people are like that.
Could be. But I alway thought it was because she is half Al Bhed. I don't think it was ever mentioned in the game of why she has two different colored eyes, so she could of just been born that way.

Remon
12-24-2005, 02:50 PM
As you know Al bhed people have green eyes(all of them).I heard this at moonflow.I talked to a woman who said something about that.Anyways i think her eyes' colour is different because she is half Al bhed.

BG-57
12-24-2005, 03:03 PM
This is the best close up of Yuna I could find:

http://toutcute.com/images/yuna.ffx.jpg

And Rikku:

http://www.womengamers.com/images/articles/revprev/adv/ffx/rikku.jpg

In addition to the green coloration, Al Bhed have spiral-shaped pupils. Looking closely, I think Yuna has circular pupils in both eyes.

But her ancestry is not in doubt, both from what we learn in the Farplane and from Cid.

So I consider Yuna's green eye a form of visual foreshawoing.

ff7+ff10 gurl 100
12-24-2005, 09:43 PM
I understand all of this but if Yuna is al bhed (which i already know) why is it that one of her pupils didnt turn out swirly? Or both swirly for that matter?

Sain Cai
12-24-2005, 10:34 PM
She is only half al bhed, which means her dad's genes were dominant here.

ffxfreak93
12-24-2005, 10:42 PM
yeah

ff7+ff10 gurl 100
12-24-2005, 11:18 PM
Oh thanks i think i get it now.
Actually i completly understand :D

ffxfreak93
12-25-2005, 12:42 AM
yuna's hot no matter what,even if one eyes green and ones blue

ff7+ff10 gurl 100
12-25-2005, 12:48 AM
Shes prettier cuz of her eyes IMO

ffxfreak93
12-25-2005, 01:07 AM
she's hawt to begin with

Gara
12-25-2005, 09:36 PM
Wait that's stupid. Half Chinese, half American people do not have one Chinese eye, and one American eye! o_O

ff7+ff10 gurl 100
12-25-2005, 10:23 PM
Hello its just a game...its to entertain.
Dont have to get tequnical.
If im being rude im sorry :greenie:

Foetus In Fetu
12-26-2005, 03:41 PM
It's never actually explained, either in Final Fantasy X or X-2, and neither game makes a big deal out of it so it may well just be an appearance quirk. It is generally assumed because of her ancestry, though.

Gara
12-26-2005, 10:45 PM
I wasn't calling any of you stupid, if anyone thought I was. We're all :love: right? :D

Slade
12-27-2005, 03:06 AM
I used to know a dude with one green eye and one blue. Perhaps he was part Al Bhed? :confused:

I'm pretty sure that where Yuna is concerned it has nothing to do with the fact that shes part Al Bhed. It's probably just to make her stand out or look different. Perhaps they were sick of having so many blue eyed characters.

ffxfreak93
12-27-2005, 08:41 AM
i know this is off topic but,

foetus in fetu(did i spell it right?) i really like your avatar

4evarisha
12-27-2005, 09:33 AM
Yuna is half Al Bhed and whateva she is.:) ;)

Ilyn
12-27-2005, 03:41 PM
Wait that's stupid. Half Chinese, half American people do not have one Chinese eye, and one American eye! o_O

I have a cousin with parents with blue eyes and brown eyes. One of her eyes is blue and the other is half blue and half brown. Eye color is one of those traits that can either blend or separate; it's just much, much more common that they blend or have complete dominance of one color. I learned fancy words for this in bio, but forgot them all. Eye shape just blends, which is why you don't see half chinese/half european faces. *shrug*

Personally, I think giving her pupils in both eyes was an artistic choice. Rikku is cute with the swirlies in both, and two pupils (the norm) looks nice of course, but aesthetically I think that having one eye without a pupil might detract from the generally pretty-ness of the character design by disturbing the balance of the face. Of course, I'm probably totally overthinking this XD

rubah
12-27-2005, 07:35 PM
What is a Chinese and what is an American eye?

obsessed_wif_yuna
12-30-2005, 09:17 AM
but if she is half al bhed (which she is) wouldnt her green eye have a swirly pupil?

d£v!l'$ ph0£n!x
12-30-2005, 12:29 PM
i don't think her eyes have anythng to do with her ancestry, it's jus how she was born. there are people in the real world with eyes like that