PDA

View Full Version : Are there Better RPG's then final fantasy?

Ishin Ookami
12-22-2005, 06:12 AM
Id say hell yah. As much as I love the series, there's better out there. FFVI tore up the 16 bit scene, but I always thought Phantasy Star IV just had the stronger story.

I also thought that during the 32-bit era, suikoden II and Lunar: Silver Star Story were both stronger titles then FFVII, and on par with FFIX.

and as for the 128-bit era, oh goodness. disgaea, Xenosaga, Makai Kingdom, Shin Megumi Tensai, All superior in every important fact to most final Fantasy titles.

and lets not even mention how Zelda and Dragon Quest have consistantly maintained higher standards of quality each successive generation.

but what say the rest of you, if FF truly the king? or just the pretender?

Vyk
12-22-2005, 06:32 AM
Xenogears, KOTOR 1&2, Baldur's Gate. I'm sure there's more. But I only need one example to say yes. Deffinitely better games out there. I'd play any of these games before a FF. And the only one that would have a chance at tempting me away would be FF7. I just like industrial-slums, sci-fi stuff. And Midgar area even has a post-apocalyptic mood. Yay. Not enough sci-fi RPGs. But at least they are branching out. Now there's plenty of modern-ish occult settings. I'm just glad "most" of the sci-fi ones are really good

Madame Adequate
12-22-2005, 09:58 AM
Depends on the FF. FF VI, VII, X? Hard to think of much that's better - Suikoden II, really, and little besides. But FF IV, V, IX? Easy to name games better than those. Xenogears, Suikodens, Magna Carta, KOTOR, Jade Empire, Morrowind, yadda yadda yadda.

And of course, there are different styles of RPG anyway, so it can be hard to say with fairness. FFVIII is hardly the same kind of game as Vandal Hearts or Phantom Brave, in turn quite different from Jade Empire, itself dissimilar to Baldur's Gate, and then there's always MMOs to consider.

Out-and-out best RPG ever? Suikoden II. FFX in close second, had a shot at being first but Yuna. =(

Dreddz
12-22-2005, 11:03 AM
There is no RPG series that is better than FF, In my opinion. And no games that can beat the lieks of FFVII,V,IV and VI. end of.
But there are some very decent RPG's otherwise, Games like Dark Chronicle, Shadow Hearts and one of my personal favourite, Alundra are all close to FF's power...

Light Mage
12-22-2005, 11:13 AM
That's 3 of you who've said Xenogears now.

What's the game like/about and what platform is it on? I'm tempted to try it out for myself...

Dreddz
12-22-2005, 11:21 AM
Xenogears is also awesome, its very long, got an amazing story, a Nice battle system. I dunno if it was released in New Zealand....

Rengori
12-22-2005, 11:23 AM
Are you familiar with Disgaea? Or Phantom Brave? Or Makai Kingdom?

Light Mage
12-22-2005, 11:23 AM
I may be able to get it in the UK over Xmas...

What platform has the best version of the game?

Mo-Nercy
12-22-2005, 11:39 AM
Golden Sun, Tales series (especially Phantasia), Chrono Trigger. To name a few.

Dreddz
12-22-2005, 11:46 AM

If your talking about XG, that wasnt released in UK either, gotta head to the states if you want an english version.....

Madame Adequate
12-22-2005, 11:50 AM

Original PlayStation, and there was no PAL release. Get a friendly American to mail you a copy or something. It is unquestionably worth the effort.

Not as much as tracking down Suikoden II would be, but you're more likely to find a perfectly cut diamond that weights as much as a large watermelon.

Edit: Wac! I forgot about Chrono Cross. That one's pretty damn high on the list as well.

Kossage
12-22-2005, 12:42 PM
Baldur's Gate 1 & 2 and Fallout 1 & 2 come to my mind. :)

Epiphany
12-22-2005, 01:07 PM
I would also say Xenogears and the Suikoden series. Suikoden = love. I'm glad I live in the states. ;D

But uh, anyone that's trying to get versions of these games, ever tried finding it online? quite easy. ;P I do believe Amazon even had Suikoden 2, a bit costly but well worth it.

Madame Adequate
12-22-2005, 01:11 PM
Baldur's Gate 1 & 2 and Fallout 1 & 2 come to my mind. :)

Oh God.

Oh Oscar no. Forgive me!

I forgot Fallout!

*Seppuku*

What's scary is I'm willing to pay that much, (http://cgi.ebay.com/SUIKODEN-PS1-PS2-Playstation-Pal-Game-Very-RARE_W0QQitemZ8242828929QQcategoryZ11056QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem) and much more, but I'm after an NTSC version as I have NTSC PS2 and my PS3 will be that also.

This (http://cgi.ebay.com/Suikoden-II-With-Strategy-guide-NO-RESERVE_W0QQitemZ8243696018QQcategoryZ62053QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem) is a great deal, though. I've seen the strat guide go for nearly that much alone.

Epiphany
12-22-2005, 01:15 PM
Ah, I see well. THAT could pose a bit of a problem, yes.
That second one is a damn good deal and if I didn't have it already I would have bought it. Curses.

Craig
12-22-2005, 01:17 PM
Final Fantasy is the series with the most numbers. :cool:

Madame Adequate
12-22-2005, 01:36 PM
Ah, I see well. THAT could pose a bit of a problem, yes.
That second one is a damn good deal and if I didn't have it already I would have bought it. Curses.

I'm damn tempted, but I already have the game and I don't think my money will be through in time anyway. =(

Markus. D
12-22-2005, 01:57 PM
Are you familiar with Disgaea? Or Phantom Brave? Or Makai Kingdom?

Disgaea isnt an RP (no real powerful roleplay element).

but it is amazeing, I laughed at it so much.

edit: i mean, the comedy element....

Dreddz
12-22-2005, 02:01 PM
Suikoden = love. I'm glad I live in the states. ;D
The Suikoden series is in PAL and those other country codes. The only additions we didnt get was Suikoden 3 and the tactics one ( I think )

raskerino
12-22-2005, 02:31 PM
FF is by far my favorite series and it has my favorite game but there are other games that I definitely like more then some.

1.FFVIII (best game)
2.SH2 (this and FFVII switch places based on my mood)
3.FFVII (^see above^)
4.FFX
5.CC
6.FFIX
7.CT
8.SH
9.FFT
10.FFX-2

So the chrono games beat some FF's (all early ones don't make this list for me) as does the SH series but nothing else comes near. If FFXII isn't very good and SH3 rocks then I could switch the series I like most but probably not. I want to note that I didn't put on about 13 rpgs that missed the list or haven't been played much including: FFI, FFII, FFIV, FFV, FFVI, LOD, XS1, XS2, VH, XG, SO3, Suikoden4, Grandia2, Dark Cloud and KH.

Dreddz
12-22-2005, 02:51 PM
The chrono series is stupidly overrated. Good, but overrated....

raskerino
12-22-2005, 03:08 PM
Why because you like it less then others? and therefore it's stupidly overrated?

I like CT because it has a very fun feel that I loved to play through, I don't think it's an amazing game but it's very, very fun. I loved the storyline to CC, FATE was an amazing part of the storyline. The gameplay was fun, and when you talked to people it seemed like it was really trying to give more realistic interactions then most. I could go more in detail but the main thing was: they were both very fun and that's great. It may be overrated but lets see you make more of a point.

ThroneofDravaris
12-22-2005, 03:10 PM
Zelda: Ocarina of Time will always pwn FF.

MecaKane
12-22-2005, 03:27 PM
The Suikoden series is in PAL and those other country codes. The only additions we didnt get was Suikoden 3 and the tactics one ( I think )
III was better than IV and the first one.

Suikoden 2, Chrono Trigger and Xenogears are the few that are better than FFIV and VI

Jebus
12-22-2005, 03:37 PM
III was better than IV and the first one.

Suikoden 2, Chrono Trigger and Xenogears are the few that are better than FFIV and VI

He speaks that truth.

Rainecloud
12-22-2005, 03:50 PM
Neverwinter Nights springs to mind immediately, although no other RPG that I've ever had the pleasure of playing has come close to being 'better' or more enjoyable than Final Fantasy VII. At least not in my opinion.

Tifa's Real Lover(really
12-22-2005, 04:51 PM
the third age is better than final fantasy

Crossblades
12-22-2005, 05:33 PM
Golden Sun, Tales series (especially Phantasia), Chrono Trigger. To name a few.

Golden Sun is awesome series, but I wouldn't say it's better than FF. Now the Tales series, it's up there with FF. Symphonia and Phantasia both had really great stories and characters. And Chrono Trigger is too great:D

Venom
12-22-2005, 05:39 PM
...I dunno, I usually like all my RPG's the same.:(

Rase
12-22-2005, 06:24 PM
I've found I prefer the gameplay of the Tales of series to that of FF, easily. Jade Empire was also nice I thought, better than a few FF's to me.

Fire_Emblem776
12-22-2005, 08:38 PM
ocarina of time. oh god yes!
Xenosaga, and i loved chronotrigger as well took Snes to the limit too!

fantasyjunkie
12-23-2005, 12:15 AM
I loved Xenogears

Azure Chrysanthemum
12-23-2005, 01:49 AM
Xenogears is probably the best RPG I've ever played. Since I don't have the cash to drop on Suikoden II, I can't really say anything about it.

Disgaea, Makai Kingdom, La Pucelle, and Phantom Brave are indeed roleplaying games. Strategy Roleplaying Games, to be precise (SRPG). You do assume the roles of the characters, and while the stories are generally somewhat linear, they do have the fact that you can access different things and you can stray from the beaten path. In that respect it's more nonlinear than, say, Final Fantasy X.

While many Final Fantasys are good, there are better RPGs out there, and there are worse. Fact remains, it's a good series and most are worth a play.

Venom
12-23-2005, 01:55 AM
..well with me I have a slight rank of where my bst RPG lies

Like right now Its Wild arms

Last month it was Fire emblem

The month before that it was Lunar

It's hard to decide.

Ishin Ookami
12-23-2005, 05:23 AM
Xenogears is probably the best RPG I've ever played. Since I don't have the cash to drop on Suikoden II, I can't really say anything about it.

Disgaea, Makai Kingdom, La Pucelle, and Phantom Brave are indeed roleplaying games. Strategy Roleplaying Games, to be precise (SRPG). You do assume the roles of the characters, and while the stories are generally somewhat linear, they do have the fact that you can access different things and you can stray from the beaten path. In that respect it's more nonlinear than, say, Final Fantasy X.

While many Final Fantasys are good, there are better RPGs out there, and there are worse. Fact remains, it's a good series and most are worth a play.

Actually, what I liked about disgaea was its story had drama,and some of the zaniest screwball comedy moments Ive seen. Prinny baseball, power ranger executions, zombies with horses weiners and all the anime parodies you can eat are well balanced with moments of intense drama, sacrifice, and character development and revelation. And the multiple endings were great, as they all focused on developing various characters and situations. I also loved how deep the game was and how it could keep you going for nigh 1000 hours and you still wouldnt be 100% done.

Azure Chrysanthemum
12-23-2005, 05:27 AM
Disgaea was a great game for all of the reasons you mentioned. I'm just refuting what Tsukasa said earlier about it not being an RPG because it lacked a "really powerful roleplay element."

Raistlin
12-23-2005, 05:46 AM
Suikoden is the best RPG series ever made. End of story. FFT is the only FF that competes with the "big boys" of RPGs.

Lunar SSSC is also among the best RPGs ever made.

CloudDragon
12-23-2005, 06:02 AM
than* (Thread title)

Games I've personally played: Xenogears, Suikoden Series, Legend of Legaia

I've heard opinions of others who like the Chrono series, and other gaming series better.

Germ Hamee
12-23-2005, 08:01 AM
Actually, I'm really not a fan of Final Fantasy at all. There's a few good games, but I tend to resent the series for the amount of attention it's given. There's only three installments I can think of that I really, very much enjoyed, being: FFVI, IX, and XI. I remember enjoying X while I played it, but it really wasn't that memorable of a game, IMO.

Better than Final Fantasy? All that I was going to say have already been mentioned, that being Chrono and Xenogears... but I think Baten Kaitos deserves a nod as well. A good chunk of the staff from Chrono Cross worked on that game, and while it had a slow start, it definitely developed into an excellent game.

~SapphireStar~
12-23-2005, 04:58 PM
I'd say the Suikoden series, cept 4 that was so disapointing. Maybe the Shadow Hearts series also.

Behemoth
12-23-2005, 05:33 PM
Disgaea is amazing... now if only I could find a copy of it...

Dreddz
12-23-2005, 06:10 PM
Actually, I'm really not a fan of Final Fantasy at all.
Hmmmmm, sorry to be a snob, but why the hell are you on these forums....

Rase
12-23-2005, 09:16 PM
He could just do what quite a few people do, and frequent the General forums, only going into the ones for the FF's you like occasionally to see what’s new.

Anyway, I also liked the Soul Blazer series, especially Illusion of Gaia.

Nick Schovitz
12-23-2005, 09:20 PM
Yes there will be and it will be called The Krystal*Light series and the first one will be out in 2010.

Neco Arc
12-24-2005, 11:49 AM

i second that...

Jebus
12-24-2005, 01:39 PM
He could just do what quite a few people do, and frequent the General forums, only going into the ones for the FF's you like occasionally to see what’s new.

Or, like me, avoid the FF forums like the plague.

*just comes here for the community*

TurkSlayer
12-24-2005, 02:57 PM
If we're talking about I, II, IV, V, and VII, then yes, there are better. The KOTOR games, DQVIII, Fire Emblem, Golden Sun, Chrono Trigger/Cross, and thats to name a few. If we're talking about X-2, then just about all of them. If we're talking about X, a select few. If we're talking about VI, vII, XII and T, then none that I can thing of.

Germ Hamee
12-24-2005, 08:17 PM
Hmmmmm, sorry to be a snob, but why the hell are you on these forums....

I joined to talk about FFIX when it came out, and remained off and on for the community. Let's face it, the FF chunk of these forums are far from the shiniest, so I don't see how this comes as a surprise.

Perducci
12-24-2005, 09:10 PM
Suikoden, Breath of Fire, Fallout, Baldurs Gate... I like them all more than FF.

PramTheOracle
12-25-2005, 01:42 AM
Anything Nippon Ichi.

Suikojowy
12-27-2005, 11:09 PM
For me, Suikoden 2 is way better than any Final Fantasy, and Suikoden 1 beats out a few too. I've never played Suikoden 3 since I live in the uk but that's supposed to be brilliant as well.

Lindy
12-28-2005, 12:14 AM
Final Fantasy; the series that pulls you in, gets you addicted, and then leaves you feeling dirty not knowing why you did it.

They're a nice entrance to the world of RPGs, but honestly, there are so many better sereii and singular RPGs out there to spend time on.

So yeah, pretty much every RPG is better than Final Fantasy.

Markus. D
12-28-2005, 12:23 AM
I guess roleplaying is what you make it then....

but yeah, Ethna's memories was a very deep story, I loved it.

Lost Number
12-28-2005, 07:49 PM
Eejits, nothing is better than FF...well, ff7 anyway.
What are the Phantasy Star and Lunar Ocean sereis?
What platform, where can i get them?

Slicksword45
12-29-2005, 10:37 PM
FFIX is my fav. RPG ever

Xenosaga (not gear) is my second fave.

then a tie between FFIV, Suikoden IV, LOTR:TTA and Xenosaga (still not gear) 2

Dignified Pauper
12-29-2005, 11:14 PM
Id say hell yah. As much as I love the series, there's better out there. FFVI tore up the 16 bit scene, but I always thought Phantasy Star IV just had the stronger story.

I also thought that during the 32-bit era, suikoden II and Lunar: Silver Star Story were both stronger titles then FFVII, and on par with FFIX.

and as for the 128-bit era, oh goodness. disgaea, Xenosaga, Makai Kingdom, Shin Megumi Tensai, All superior in every important fact to most final Fantasy titles.

and lets not even mention how Zelda and Dragon Quest have consistantly maintained higher standards of quality each successive generation.

but what say the rest of you, if FF truly the king? or just the pretender?

i agree with everything said here.

Rengori
12-30-2005, 03:56 AM
Anything Nippon Ichi.
Not La Pucelle, I hated that game. But everything else does, yes.

Gnostic Yevon
12-30-2005, 02:21 PM
For gameplay, I think DQ beats the later FF games, and Suik does as well. What FF gives you is more consistancy than say Suik or Xenosaga. You may like an individual game better than some FF games, but you'll always have a good time with FF. Suikoden has already had a flop -- only four games in the main series. And I believe DQ had one as well. FF and Romance of the Three Kingdoms are about the only games I'll buy new w/o reading a review first.