PDA

View Full Version : RPG Maker

Blackmageboi
12-22-2005, 07:29 PM
I have rpg maker 2003 and am currently working on a game.

so the question is:
who else has it and is anyone working on a game?

Craig
12-22-2005, 07:32 PM
Nope, and nope. But I did make one a while back.

Venom
12-22-2005, 07:36 PM
I have rpg maker 2003 and am currently working on a game.

so the question is:
who else has it and is anyone working on a game?

I have it, I dont how to use it though, do you?:(

However the first RPG maker I fully know how to use

Fire_Emblem776
12-22-2005, 08:12 PM
it is fun to use, after you get the mp3 patch. Man i hate midis!
making your game with the chrono OST :)

Blackmageboi
12-22-2005, 08:14 PM
I'm getting good at it though i haven't done too much of a story line yet

Fire_Emblem776
12-22-2005, 08:19 PM
please use this!

http://www.secretzone.org/rpgmaker2000.html

make good use of music!

http://www.rpg-maker-downloads.tnrstudios.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=516

Markus. D
12-22-2005, 11:16 PM
Im makeing an rpg currently on RPG maker XP :)

i love using mp3 files for my music.

Lord Chainsaw
12-24-2005, 04:51 AM
I'm also working an RMXP project right now. I use mostly midis from other games, but I'll put some mp3s for the tracks that really need to use them.

I'm using avatars for text, and ultimately plan on using voices for every piece of spoken dialogue. It adds a lot to the scene. I've also utilized a "con system" I created for battles. Upon engaging an enemy, the game's Director reveals whether it will be an easy, even, or difficult fight depending on the main character's strength. Since my game is a beginner's RPG meant for people who are new to video games, it is a very good indicator of when you should move on to the end of the act and challenge that leg of the competition's boss.

Regular enemies also have respawn timers on them, meaning beating them on the world map will make them vanish for about a minute, upon which they will reappear. It's mostly for leveling purposes, as I've made sure to engineer the device as to not make the respawn short enough as to interfere with dungeon exploration, but have still given ample time to players who wish to level up upon repeated enemies in one of the acts.

My characters are drawn from the history of human civilization, as that reflects the theme of the game being a contest in Limbo at the end of humanity's timeline. To reveal any more would be a crime, but I can say RPG Maker is an excellent stepping stone for creators. I strongly recommend it.

Tempest
12-24-2005, 04:55 AM
I have Rpg Maker 2000 and 2003 and am currently working on a game. I use RM2K though since it's hard to get character battle animations. There isn't a large variety that comes with 2003.

Markus. D
12-24-2005, 06:02 AM
I'm also working an RMXP project right now. I use mostly midis from other games, but I'll put some mp3s for the tracks that really need to use them.

I'm using avatars for text, and ultimately plan on using voices for every piece of spoken dialogue. It adds a lot to the scene. I've also utilized a "con system" I created for battles. Upon engaging an enemy, the game's Director reveals whether it will be an easy, even, or difficult fight depending on the main character's strength. Since my game is a beginner's RPG meant for people who are new to video games, it is a very good indicator of when you should move on to the end of the act and challenge that leg of the competition's boss.

Regular enemies also have respawn timers on them, meaning beating them on the world map will make them vanish for about a minute, upon which they will reappear. It's mostly for leveling purposes, as I've made sure to engineer the device as to not make the respawn short enough as to interfere with dungeon exploration, but have still given ample time to players who wish to level up upon repeated enemies in one of the acts.

My characters are drawn from the history of human civilization, as that reflects the theme of the game being a contest in Limbo at the end of humanity's timeline. To reveal any more would be a crime, but I can say RPG Maker is an excellent stepping stone for creators. I strongly recommend it.

i like that enemy timer event thing.

i invented it, posted it on my ex-forum (charas) ... and it was stolen and put on rmxp forums.... my fault for not putting a "credit me if you use this on etc..."

can you show me how you made yours?

Lord Chainsaw
12-25-2005, 08:42 PM
I didn't use any scripts, because I'm still learning how to do those. I did the timer purely on events.

The enemy event needs two pages, one with the enemy graphic, and one without. I can't copy or paste the data for the event, but I worked it in three parts. The enemy is either easy, even, or tough.

The first thing you need to do is run a parallel on the map that sets variable 1 = to the main character's level. For my game, because it is for beginners, everyone levels up at the same time, including dead people. Therefore the main character's level always equals the average level.

The second thing you need to do is decide what level the enemy is. If you feel the enemy is level 6, then you give yourself + or - a certain amount of levels that indicate when the match will be even depending on the statistical build of your character system. For my game, I use the enemy's level and + or - 1 for an even match.

Then you set up a condition for the fight when you touch the event. First thing the event is going to search for is going to be the "difficult match". For a level 6 enemy, you set a condition to check for variable 1 (which was earlier set to equal the main character's level). The condition checks that variable 1 is any number less than 5 (which is the cutoff for the even match).

If it is less than five, then display the difficult match text, and initiate the battle. After the battle is over, you flip self switch A on and exit event processing.

If it isn't less then five, then you run another condition check to see if it is greater than 7. If it is greater than 7, you run the easy match message, run the battle, flip self switch A, and exit event processing.

If none of those conditions are met, then by default, your level range is 5-7. For this case, just run the even match message, run the battle, and flip self switch A.

What does self switch A do? Self switch A is the second page of the event. It contains no battle and no graphic. It is set to run parallel with the first page. All this second page does is continuously run a respawn check. When self switch A goes off at the end, the event is replaced with the first page, which contains the monster and the battle. My second page looks like this:

Wait 200 frames
Wait 200 frames
Self switch A = off

Since it is parallel, it will be running at the same time as the enemy page. Since self switch A doesnt come on until after the battle is over, it will continuously run and ignore that command unless the enemy is defeated.

You only have to make one of these once. After that, you can just copy it into a common event. Just remember to set the level con for each enemy according to how strong you make them.

Wuggly Blight
12-25-2005, 09:24 PM
I usually am, I prefer RM2K3 over XP though.

Markus. D
12-26-2005, 05:20 AM
I didn't use any scripts, because I'm still learning how to do those. I did the timer purely on events.

The enemy event needs two pages, one with the enemy graphic, and one without. I can't copy or paste the data for the event, but I worked it in three parts. The enemy is either easy, even, or tough.

The first thing you need to do is run a parallel on the map that sets variable 1 = to the main character's level. For my game, because it is for beginners, everyone levels up at the same time, including dead people. Therefore the main character's level always equals the average level.

The second thing you need to do is decide what level the enemy is. If you feel the enemy is level 6, then you give yourself + or - a certain amount of levels that indicate when the match will be even depending on the statistical build of your character system. For my game, I use the enemy's level and + or - 1 for an even match.

Then you set up a condition for the fight when you touch the event. First thing the event is going to search for is going to be the "difficult match". For a level 6 enemy, you set a condition to check for variable 1 (which was earlier set to equal the main character's level). The condition checks that variable 1 is any number less than 5 (which is the cutoff for the even match).

If it is less than five, then display the difficult match text, and initiate the battle. After the battle is over, you flip self switch A on and exit event processing.

If it isn't less then five, then you run another condition check to see if it is greater than 7. If it is greater than 7, you run the easy match message, run the battle, flip self switch A, and exit event processing.

If none of those conditions are met, then by default, your level range is 5-7. For this case, just run the even match message, run the battle, and flip self switch A.

What does self switch A do? Self switch A is the second page of the event. It contains no battle and no graphic. It is set to run parallel with the first page. All this second page does is continuously run a respawn check. When self switch A goes off at the end, the event is replaced with the first page, which contains the monster and the battle. My second page looks like this:

Wait 200 frames
Wait 200 frames
Self switch A = off

Since it is parallel, it will be running at the same time as the enemy page. Since self switch A doesnt come on until after the battle is over, it will continuously run and ignore that command unless the enemy is defeated.

You only have to make one of these once. After that, you can just copy it into a common event. Just remember to set the level con for each enemy according to how strong you make them.

yeah, event, "event" :p

event :p

erm, yeah, neat :)

Rainecloud
12-26-2005, 09:21 AM
I work on a game, then I get bored of it and leave it for a few years.

Then I go back to it, work on it for a week or two, and the cycle continues.

Gnostic Yevon
12-26-2005, 02:36 PM
I'm using rpg toolkit -- it's a freeware maker.

I like it better because it's more flexable and allows you to make your own graphics for each game. Mythos is based on ancient Greece-Rome, and since I can make graphics, I can have my characters wearing togas and walking around an environment that looks Roman.

I should have a demo in a few weeks, if i get more time.

crashNUMBERS
12-27-2005, 02:59 AM
Making RPGs suck. Takes a load of time. I'd only do it if there was buisness involved...

Markus. D
12-27-2005, 03:01 AM
its fun. you can showoff your talents.... amuesing.... -_-"

Gnostic Yevon
12-27-2005, 03:08 AM
Well, yeah, cool to show off. If you want to see mine, this is the concept art of my hero and a gladiator character.

I'm going for kind of an old-school 8-bit look.

Myself^2
12-27-2005, 09:56 AM
Mmmmm.... tasty.
Yup. I've got RMXP.
And me and a whole (small) team of people on another forum are actually working on an RPG together as a develepment team.
Fun project.

a nirvana fan
01-02-2006, 11:33 AM
On my computer right now I have RPG Maker 95, 2000 and XP, the 2000 one is the best and no I'm not working on a game as I can never be bothered to work out what all the different stuff do..and I'm too lazy to actually finish one.