PDA

View Full Version : Misfits...

chaos9071
12-23-2005, 03:54 AM
I have a montley crew of the odd balls of the Final Fantasy 6. who is your crew of choice when you need to throw down?

Gau one of the best charaters in the game if you know how to utilize him properly. I have him with 100% magic block and 255 defense and 255 attack. There are only a couple of attacks that can do him damage... Dice and Non-elemental non blockable magic seem to be the only things... If you master his rages he can be extremely useful.

Setzer is also powerful because he can use the Fixed Dice. I equip him with the offering. Because the fixed dice have nothing to do with strength Setzer becomes a powerful mage. He is a well rounded charater who is the only one who can defeat Gau and Mog with a physical attack.

Mog because like Gau he can have 255 defense... Which makes him immune to physical attacks... Not as powerful as either Setzer or Gau but he does have a strong defense.

Relm and Strago I use to decurse the cursed sheild... simply equip with a a heal rod... Presto they become an asset rather than a Liability. These two I like to use in tandem to control a monster in order to learn his magic. They are both great mages... I don't know which I like more.

Locke is a quick charater and he can steal, which makes him very usefull. I equip him with an Ragnorok Sword. If I were in a battle against someone elses party I would use him to take out someone like setzer...

Umaro I use in the Tower of Kefka's cult. Equip him with a gauntlet and he ain't half bad.

Gogo I use as an Imp with Rage, Steal, Magic. Also very useful but I dislike his major lack of stats.

Shadow isn't useful for battle so much as he is a kick ass dude. His Speed is a great asset. But he isn't that great at defense or offense. But he can mug with the theif knife. which is useful when your party must split up

Terra is useful because she can morph. But i don't ussually use her all that often.

Least useful charaters are Edgar, Cyan, Sabin, Celes... in that order.
They all just gather dust...

blackmage_nuke
12-23-2005, 05:16 AM
Thats Crazy! Edgar has chainsaw and Sabin has Bum Rush which could easily do tonnes of damage, and Cyan isnt bad.

Shadow isn't useful for battle so much as he is a kick ass dude. His Speed is a great asset. But he isn't that great at defense or offense. But he can mug with the theif knife. which is useful when your party must split up I mostly agree, but Shadow is a useful character pretty much only at the end because you can throw whatever you want at the final boss

I guess if you do master Gau's rages he'd be very powerful, but that would take a long time and it would be easier and faster to simply level up Sabin or Cyan or even Shadow to some really high level and they can deal some real damage

SiberianKiss
12-23-2005, 07:08 AM
I only played FFVI once, and I hardly ever used Gau, mainly because the first time I play a new FF, my priorities are the story, so wandering around and doing side quests is usually minimal. The second time through is for the gameplay. Can you only learn his Rage attacks on the Veldt? What are some of the more useful attacks?

Neco Arc
12-23-2005, 11:21 AM
They all just gather dust...

My eyes... Celes is awesome because she has runic... can't count how many times runic has saved me...

Crossblades
12-23-2005, 03:51 PM
Gau is useless IMO

Nightmare X
12-23-2005, 09:51 PM
^Say that again after using the Nightshade rage in Kefka or any other enemy, or trying the Wind God Gau setup.

Gau is an INCREDIBLY powerful character, he is, however, vastly underrated by people that don't realize that his power is superior to many characters (including the oh-so-loved Sabin) in the sense that he has the ability to become an excellent physical tank, a gamekiller (Nightshade) amongst other thing.

Edgar isn't good just because of Chain Saw, since it gets old in the WoR. However, he's capable of using Illumina, aswell as being able to become a good Dragoon with the proper equipment.

Terra is not just useful because of Morph, you might aswell notice her excellent equipment, aswell as her Magic power stat, it's not just morph, it's EVERYTHING what makes her good.

Celes is, sorts of, a Clone of Terra without Morph and with a not-so-good ability (Runic = Overrated, especially since 99% of your attacks are magic near the end of the game), she is, however, a good mage and physical fighter, just not as good as Terra.

Sabin is OVERRATED, his equipment is sub-par, and despite being good in the physical department thanks to his high Vigor and Bat. Power, most of his blitzes, including the oh-so-worshipped Bum Rush, happen to be MAGIC attacks, and if we consider that you can't target them, and that Sabin has the second worst magic power in the game, we're left with a mediocre character that's greatly surpassed by other physical fighters like Shadow or Edgar.

Setzer is, during most of the game, a rather mediocre character, however, this can be fixed by raiding Kefka's tower early to get Fixed Dice then warping out. Fixed Dice is, simply, the one thing that makes Setzer useful, due to the fact it completely ignores Vigor, Bat. Power AND defense, thus making boosting Vigor unnecessary, and lets you take your levels on something more productive, like Magic Power.

By the way, despite what you might think, Speed isn't that important, since the only way to boost it (Odin) is pretty much only temporary (Unless you're insane and don't want to get Raiden, considering it teaches Quick) and that it only boosts speed by 1 per level.

Now, if we consider that it takes A LOT of speed to make a noticeable difference, I would say that speed boosting is a waste of time, and more importantly, levels you could use to increase Vigor or Mag. Power.

Oh, and let me make this clear, Umaro is by far THE WORST playable character in FF6, EVER. He's pretty much Gau with better base stats but without all that makes Gau good. Umaro lacks the ability to equip Espers, which leaves his stats behind, and both his special attacks happen to be rather mediocre, at least Gogo has the versatility to make up with for his lack of Esper boosts.

The Man
12-24-2005, 01:55 AM
In terms of sheer physical power, Gau is the most powerful character in the game. However, there are things more important than physical power for me, and finesse is one of them. Having Gau attack each turn kind of spoils your chances of being able to steal an incredibly rare item before a monster dies.

For me, the most useful characters are Terra, Edgar, Celes, and Locke, probably because they can use all the best equipment.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
12-24-2005, 01:56 AM
Gau's fine, but he's no Umaro.

Christmas
12-24-2005, 03:42 AM
Anyone that can equip Atma Weapon rulez....

Llanowar
12-24-2005, 05:18 AM
You Have GOT to be kidding me......Gau the BEST char in the game.....funny. The point is not to look at ONLY the character at the END GAME, but to look at its usefulness over the ENTIRE GAME!!!! Gau is next to WORTHLESS for at LEAST half the game since his FEW Great Rages come in the WoR.
Tell me what good is he in when u run into a tight spot where u need an item or magic used and HE is already in Rage mode???? But I guess in your mind leveling up to 99 and making an inpenetrable tank is the best way to beat an RPG. Kind of sad really the point is not to ULTRA level and make it impossible to lose the point is to use your cunning and guile in order to take down bosses WITHOUT power leveling but maybe that is beyond your understanding.

Really sad how ppl take Chars stats at the END GAME and at level 90-99 to use in their examples when NOONE ever needs to get that high in order to beat FFVI. And As for BASHING on Sabin I find it VERY Amusing that he is so worthless when decently early on he learns a blitz (fire dance) to deal GOOD damage to the the Physical resistant enemies in Vector.....its a GREAT way to save MP Although I am sure you have hit like level 30-40 and Don't Care if u use MP or not. I guess if u have hour upon hour to spend pointlessly walking in circles to level that is your own perogative. I like to beat the game in about 8 hours mebbe 12 if I do all the side quests LOL. And as for BUM RUSH.....its MAIN use it to Crack Bosses since Targeting doesnt MATTER with most bosses as there is only 1 target. However if u just cant consistently get the button Combo right then I guess it would seem useless to u. HAHAHA!!

TurkSlayer
12-24-2005, 05:55 AM
I didn't realize Gau's potential until my second playthrough, when I discovered his Brawler ability. He can cause nearly 1000 damage with one of those attacks, which is VERY good at that point in the game. Later it becomes less powerful, but then he gains better stuff to make up for that.

I too think Sabin is overrated. His Blitz just aren't really that great.

I don't understand why people have such a problem with Umaro. Sure, all he's capable of is attacking, and suring you can't really control him, but so what? His attacks are very powerful, so you'd be using magic with him anyway. If you want magic, bring a mage. I personally used Umaro all the time. I thought he was fantastic.

?????
12-24-2005, 05:57 AM
In terms of pure damage, physical fighting wins out; if you level Edgar high enough, you can use the Genji Glove and Offering together with Illumina and another high-quality weapon for an instant 80,000 damage. Terra and Celes come next, with the patented Ultima Abuse technique, made even more potent by X-Magic or the Economizer. Going that route, I don't think I could've beaten Kefka much faster if VI had Knights of the Round. Though it does have the Crusader Esper, which is effectively KOTR, but it isn't the be-all-end-all summon that it is in VII. Gau's Rages are damned useful, but only if you're willing to level up on the Veldt. You've also gotta give the props to Atma Weapon. Not only is it one of the most damaging weapons in the game, it looks like a lightsaber. And of course, you've got Gogo, who can do anything in the game, but his (her?) most useful role is to mimic a doublecasted Ultima. And then, of course, you've got Sabin's Bum Rush, which is highly damaging, but Sabin's utility is limited; other characters can do just as much damage, and can fulfill other roles as well.

Nightmare X
12-24-2005, 04:00 PM
@Llanowar:

Gau, WORTHLESS? EXCUSE ME? Gau's best physical rage (Stray Cat) comes in the WOB, and you can EASILY get it RIGHT when he joins, and not only that, but you can aswell get stuff like Templar (Early Fire 2, anyone?), Anguiform (Early Aqua Rake), etc. so saying Gau is worthless is just blatantly IGNORANT.

And get this through your head: Sabin. Bad. Magic. User.

and

Blitz. Mostly. Magical.

See a connection? Most of Sabin's skillset is magic, which he sucks at. It's like having Relm with a phyiscal skillset.

Oh, and if we are talking about max levelling then why there's no mention of Locke's max damage potential (9999x8) at Lv99? Oh yeah, because we (or at least I) aren't.

Truth
12-25-2005, 04:32 AM
Celes. I equipped her with some awesome equipment, mind you, but I had her reach the point of almost never getting hit (literally) around level 70, I think. I can't remember what all she was decked out in, but it probably consisted of the Paladin shield, Gem Box, Beads (Exchangable with, Charm Bangle, Hero Ring, Black Belt, Ribbon, Hyper Wrist, Zephyr Cape, or White Cape), Offering, or Genji glove, Illumina, Ragnorak, or Scimitar (Depending on if the enemy regenerates after an instant kill), Force Armor, Mystery Veil.

She had all of the most-needed spells, and with Quick+Genji (For mass Scimitar kills), Genji+Offering+Quick (Same idea), or Quick+Gem box+Ultima (Self-explanatory), she was awesome.

Celes starts off with very even stats, and begins with a few stats hgiher than Terra's (Though Vigor and Stamina don't make much difference in minor numbers, and she loses 3 magic points..). As http://www.ffextreme.com/site/ff6/faqs/final_fantasy_iii_char.txt points out, Celes's Magic Block is actually the biggest stat advantage she has over the other characters, enabling her to use less Mblock items to gain perfect results. (Which isn't a huge thing.) Personally, I see Celes as geared more toward a fighter than Terra, but maybe I'm just biased or continuing the Fire/Ice, Phsyical/Magical plan.

With my basic combination above (using the Gem Box and Hero Ring, Black Belt, or Hyper Wrist), Celes would be as follows, NOT including points gained during levels.

Stats: + () Sword, + (() Head, + ([) Sheild, + ({}) Armor
Extra HP: 44 (51)
Extra MP: 15
Vigor: 34
Speed: 34 (41) (42()
Stamina: 31 (38)
Magic Power: 36 (43) (46()
Battle Power: 16 (271) [Max 255]
Defense: 44 (103[) (127() (196{})
Evade: 7% (57) (97[)
Magic Defense: 31 (90[) (115() (183{})
M. Block: 9% (59) (99[) (109() (139{}) [Max 128]
+ Random Pearl. Consumes MP to cause a critical hit.
+Absorbs holy, lit, ice, fire. No effect: water, Earth, wind, poison.
+50% Damage Earth, wind, lit, ice, fire

Obviously, any character would be extremely powerful wearing this combination, but I didn't have it on her all the time. As canbe seen from the website mentioned, Celes and Terra are both very flexible, without losing any major points.

That said, I think that soem more consideration needs to be given. After all, Celes, like Terra, learns spells on her own, Espers or not, by level. Just as I had "SuperCeles", she had just gotten Pearl or Flare (72-81), I believe. No, I hadn't read any of these guides, I simply messed around with her items as it seemed best/fitting to me. I didn't even understand the stats screen fully. I just kind of stumbled upon it. Lol.

While the person who writes the guide says that Celes is almost useless with Runic, outside of a few Very useful battles, I have to disagree. I found her runic Incredibly helpful in the Collesum (She was obviously my most used there, even prior to fitting her out.), especially at weaker levels.

I must admit that I haven't used Terra's Morph, and I'm not even entirely sure what it does. (Boosts her atk & magic during Morph?) It seemed to run out too quickly, so I didn't pay much attention to it.

This all said, along with the fact that Celes learns useful spells on her own by levels, can kill enemies early on with her magic and physical attacks, and learns Ice 3 at a medium level on her own, completely destroys chaos9071's idea of leaving her to settle in the dust. I can't deny that Terra learns better spells, begins with a slightly higher magic power, and can equip all that Celes can, but that certainly doesn't make Celes second-class. She far excels the other characters left to be thought of. Honestly, though, this only makes sense, as thw two are the main characters for their respective half of the game.

Personally, I'd keep Celes in because of the story development between her and Locke, her emotional depth, and the dialogue she creates.

Locke, of course, was my other "steady", astride Celes. I found steal very useful in the dragon forest and earlier in the game to get items and cash. Beside of that, he isn't too bad of a fighter if you use him for basic attacks with a good weapon, give him some equipment defense, and ready him with magic to keep up the party's health (Life 3, cure, and Lv3 spells/Pearl/Ultima for the Fanatics' Tower if learned by then.). I only just now learned about the value of the Offering-Valiant combo. Normally, he's a caster and fighter mix for me.

Cyan was often a regular in my party, or Shadow when you coudl get ahold of him. (I was shocked by his magical ability, and Throw rocks.)

The third party member was often then either Terra or Edgar. Terra for her magical ability, despite how little attention I paid to her (She was at a decent level and had a majority of the spells. I simply didn't see her as a big use since her magical and physical attacks were only equal or inferior to Celes's.), and Edgar for his tool, magic, and equipping ability.

I usually Imp Gau or Setzer and suit him up with the appropriate equipment, but I must question Gau's ability after reading this thread.

Sabin was often used, but I ralized how little he was good for, aside of Bum Rush, rather quickly. (He couldn't cure or Lv3 magic for anything.) Umaro is obviously useful in the Fanatics' Tower. Gogo didn't get much use. Mog was decked out in his moogle stuff. Relm and Strago were ignored.

Llanowar
12-25-2005, 12:21 PM
I never said that the blitzes were the GREATEST attacks in the Game....what I said was that the timing where u get some of them make them GREAT to have i.e. Fire Dance for vector the 1st time when your magic isnt exactly at a POWERFUL level yet. THAT is how I measure a characters worth....by how useful they are at different stages of the game. Sabin might not be great for the Final boss but is VERY useful for a LOT of the Game. And as for Gau's LOVELY rages and early fire 2 that you have NO way of knowing when it is going to happen......GREAT a CHANCE!!!!! to get a specific spell/ability when having a different Character that you KNOW will do what you want may be more beneficial. you can spend hours on the veldt if you wish, but by the time you get all of the Rages from the time you spend on the Veldt I can BEAT THE GAME......I got 99% of his rages ONE time as a challenge to myself and simply DO NOT LIKE GAU!!! My opinion and to be honest I dont care how much you all want to worship at his tanking ability. Hes not a great tank at the levels I hit Kefka Plain and Simple.

Fire_Emblem776
12-26-2005, 01:10 AM
My eyes... Celes is awesome because she has runic... can't count how many times runic has saved me...