PDA

View Full Version : your thoughts on the soon to be blue mage class.

Markus. D
12-24-2005, 02:53 AM
will this further imbalance the classes... or will it... erm.... unbalance the classes.

Ouch!
12-24-2005, 03:35 AM
SE has been doing pretty well trying to balance the classes. Nerfing RNG and NIN was necessary, and while DRG wasn't really that bad off before the patch, changing call wyvern to a 20 minute ability helped them a bunch. The only job that's really been hit hard lately was BST, but they'll probably find a way to fix the problems caused by the latest anti-MPK patch.

As far as blue mage unbalancing the classes... how the heck should we know? We don't have much to go on. As far as I know, no spells or abilities for the blue mage have been announced. We don't even know how the mage will acquire the enemy's attacks. Will they have to be hit by them and survive or will they have an FFX lancet-style ability? Since they use melee weapons, I can assume that they'll be a lot like RDM in that aspect. Blue mages (or blue mage type abilities such as enemy skill in FFVII) have always been offered a wide array of different kinds of spells.

I've heard rumors that blue mage may be the new solo class.

Honestly, I think it's too early to ask your question. We don't know enough right now.

Miriel
12-24-2005, 03:42 AM
We need to know about the other new jobs being released alongside BLU before we can even begin contemplating any sort of imbalance in the job structure. But honestly, I'm not too afraid of any major upset being caused by the introduction of new classes. The only problem I can foresee is a bunch of people trying to immediately jump on the new job quests and innundating the dunes with these new jobs.

Markus. D
12-24-2005, 09:05 AM
so far... on playonline I have read, the only new class is Blue Mage.

Lionx
12-24-2005, 12:47 PM
On the official Website there seems to be more slots..so its not only BLU...well not likely to be only it anyway. I just know that there will be alot of bugs, and tweaks til its balanced.

Miriel
12-24-2005, 04:24 PM
It's been confirmed in recent interviews that BLU will not be the only new job released in the new expansion pack.

Markus. D
12-24-2005, 06:57 PM
wow, neat... now lets make rumours and guess what the new classes will be.

well... they need a Lady Luck styled class, that would be fun to use and exploit.

Crossblades
12-24-2005, 07:56 PM
Anyone got pics on how this new Blue Mage job looks like?

Germ Hamee
12-24-2005, 08:25 PM
http://ffxi.allakhazam.com/news/sdetail6324.html?story=6324

Arabian nights, like Arabian days! More often than not, are hotter than hot, in a lot of good ways! :D

Markus. D
12-24-2005, 09:15 PM
yeah...not exactly the most sexiest equipment ive seen.

Lionx
12-25-2005, 05:13 AM
Mithra panties and belly ;o

Ouch!
12-25-2005, 05:56 AM
I thought it was fairly noticable that on PlayOnline's section on the new expansion it has a section titled "New Jobs" as in plural. I thought anyone would be able to figure that one out with or without an interview.

You want speculation? I'll give you speculation.

My bet is geomancer is most likely to appear. Mage class with an axe? Hell yes!

Chemist may work as a support job as well. Throw in a knife, a gun, and potion-making skills and you've got a nice combination.

I suppose oracle is possible, but seeing as NIN and RDM have enfeebling spells down, SE would have to come up with some crazy new enfeebles. It could be done, but I'm not holding my breath.

In case you didn't notice, those are jobs that have appeared in Final Fantasy Tactics that haven't been used yet. Calculator was too broken to be put in FFXI, dancer is the same as BRD, battles have too much going on for mime to work, and squire and knight are already covered by WAR and PLD. I'm not even going to bother with FFTA jobs because some of those were the same thing only with different names for different races. I don't think we'll ever see race-specific jobs in FFXI.

I've had conversations with my linkshell members, and we've decided that it's highly unlikely that they'll introduce jobs to FFXI that have never before been seen in a Final Fantasy title. If they didn't decide to do that though, I've got two possibilities.

Necromancer. Necromancers are commented on in the story. Pirates that attack the Selbina-Mhaura boat are necromancers. Seeing as, from my understand anyway, the new expansion will have a good deal to do with pirates, it's a possibility, however slim, that necromancer could pop up in there. The biggest thing that kills necromancer is the fact that throughout FF history, the undead have always been the bad guys. To suddenly be able to control undead minions would be kind of funky. Kudos to Armando for pointing that one out.

Alchemist. Alchemy is already a crafting skill, but other kinds of alchemy have been referenced. The philosopher's stone and red water seem to be a direct reference to Fullmetal Alchemist. Also, in the description of the lamiae in POL's section of Treasures, it explains that the lamiae are not beastmen but rather chimeras. It describes chimeras as biological weapons created by alchemists. Obviously this is a different kind of alchemist than the people who study the alchemy craft. Biggest thing against alchemists is transmutation circles. Those take some time to draw, and it would either mean really long casting times, or requiring equipment with circles on them. Also, one would need the supplies to create something from the transmutation, so I suppose it would become a lot like NIN (as they require powders) in that respect.

There. Speculation. Happy? I am.

Markus. D
12-25-2005, 11:56 PM
okay, my complete list of classes I reckon would be good to add in.

Illusionist: Devouted 100% to elemental crowd control or just crowd control in general.
though does very little damage, its constant dishing out of mob attacks slowly wither down the crowds while (if it has any at the time) his/her team members take a more thorough approach and focus on the enemies 1 by 1.
it does have some other specialties that occur when it is hit with certain attributes from foes (in other words these are his job traits).
when he/she suffers from petrify, the Illusionist's petrified soul continues to inspire her/his team members by upping there resistence and significantly raising there DEF stat while the illusionist is petrified.
when hit with an elemental attack from a foe it does a severe magical attack focused on that certain offender, the illusionist summons a non-elemental magical spike from another dimension called: Astral Punch, once it has been used once it needs 10 minutes to recharge until the effect can enter battle once again.

Lady Luck: Inheritors of the Cardians Magical feats.
this job learns how to channel there cardian ancestors ... ugh, i will do the rest later.

zell1990
12-26-2005, 03:01 AM
It says on the playonline page:
Employing the legendary arts of Aht Urhgan, these formidable fighter-mages employ elegantly curved blades for close combat, while decimating their enemies from afar with fell magic mastered from their opponents.

which would suggest that the BLU does infact use skills from the monsters ingame.

Should be good :D

Lionx
12-26-2005, 11:19 AM
Illusionist has many flaws...Sleepga and Lullaby are the ultimage crowd control. I know you havent been to end-levels yet, but if its only damge over time that matters for Illusionist, its way behind everyone else. With one skillchain the monster around this level will lose almost all its life it not fall within the skillchain itself along with Magic burst. Usually its only wearing down one monster, then the next is instant kill. If Illusionist cannot do enough damage like that, then its considered quite useless. Around mid-lvls a skillchain can take out half a mob's life too.

Also if he is petrified..then he is the tank right? But Defense up? Why would anyone else need Defense up besides tank? Also the fact that you need to be under status aliments to get stuff out makes it very flawed and more of a liability than anything...and the effects have to be VERY VERY noticable to be accepted into the party.

While Astral Punch sounds good, it only seems that they have to get hit to use it...and so in other words..its only good (the job) every 10 minutes? >_>; What if it was AerogaIV and you take over 900 damage?

Doesnt seem feasible, what type of job would it be as well? Healer? Melee? Tank? Support? Would this work vs certain HNMs too(as in does it have a role even)? What about Ballista?

Crossblades
12-26-2005, 04:53 PM
http://ffxi.allakhazam.com/news/sdetail6324.html?story=6324

Arabian nights, like Arabian days! More often than not, are hotter than hot, in a lot of good ways! :D

I like the Arabian look:D

Ouch!
12-26-2005, 09:06 PM
It says on the playonline page:
Employing the legendary arts of Aht Urhgan, these formidable fighter-mages employ elegantly curved blades for close combat, while decimating their enemies from afar with fell magic mastered from their opponents.

which would suggest that the BLU does infact use skills from the monsters ingame.

Should be good :D
I don't think there was ever doubt that BLU would use enemy skills. Blue mage has *always* used enemy skills. I was only questioning how they would learn the spells.

Crossblades
12-26-2005, 10:15 PM
I have a feeling that they'll give these blue mages a skill similar to Khimari's Lancet ability

Markus. D
12-27-2005, 04:21 AM
Doesnt seem feasible, what type of job would it be as well? Healer? Melee? Tank? Support? Would this work vs certain HNMs too(as in does it have a role even)? What about Ballista?

nah, its moves just look purdy :P

i will try work out something more feasable.....

Miriel
12-27-2005, 08:35 PM
I understand that a dancer class would be repetitive and useless since we already have Bards, but omg, I really want a dancer class.

Dancer!

Ouch!
12-27-2005, 08:54 PM
The only way I could see dancer working would be if they gave it a face lift and gave it distinctly different set of abilities than the bard--maybe more offensive dances? I don't see that happening, though.

I still want alchemist. =O

Miriel
12-27-2005, 09:24 PM
Dancer! *prances*

Lionx
12-28-2005, 12:02 AM
Galka Dancer in Subligar ;o

Ouch!
12-28-2005, 05:04 AM
Your mind frightens me, Lionx.

Markus. D
12-30-2005, 08:57 AM
Galka Dancer in Subligar ;o

*shuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuudersssss********************

edit: Is the subligar bronze by any chance :P?

Lionx
12-30-2005, 02:25 PM
IF ITS NOT RUSTY ITS NOT A REAL SUBLIGAR!

Ouch!
12-30-2005, 08:14 PM
Bone subligar has blue pant legs with it. D=

Miriel
12-30-2005, 08:59 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v516/hannahgoesrawr/FFXI/subligar.jpg

Rostum
12-30-2005, 09:36 PM
THE HORROR!!!

Markus. D
01-01-2006, 11:46 PM
*shudders again*

Isis
01-02-2006, 08:51 AM
I'm excited about the new areas but not the new jobs.
Can someone please explain (if you know) what a Blue mage is for and why in God's name do they look like they just came out of Agrabah?

Markus. D
01-02-2006, 11:21 PM
Maybey there more of a fundamental mage....

Haunted
01-02-2006, 11:38 PM
i was just thinking about BLU, and how easy it could become too powerful, i think that there would have to be quite a few limits to what moves it can use, for anyone who has done the promys, and compleated/failed PM2-3 then you know how deadly mortal ray is, if BLU could learn moves like this, you would see BLU soloing everything, because unless, mobs start to carry holy waters/cast cursna enough times within 10 seconds, they are dead

Markus. D
01-03-2006, 06:45 AM
0_o.

and if it could lean any "Ja" (Thundaja, Lifeja etc...) it would be an uber class...

ps: maybey they will suprise us with a furthered lvl cap and a nice array of third jobs, then this would all make more sense.

Lionx
01-03-2006, 07:07 AM
If you actually think SE is stupid enough to let you have those kinds of moves, i think you need to reaccess the situation..if you CAN have those moves it will be serverely nerfed so that it is balanced. There is the knowledge that it will be unbalanced at first like any game, but will be tweaked.

But no i dont think reaching lvl 80 is going to be any better...doesnt seem likely.

chionos
01-03-2006, 04:10 PM
blue mage has always used very specific monster spells, not just any spell that any mob can cast. Things like Lvl 5 petrify(from ahriman) we'll probably see. there'll probably be 30-40 very specific spells that SE decides BLU should have, as w/ every other blue mage from past games. What I want to know more, is what blu's 2 hr will be, and what its traits and abilities will be.
also i'm curious if they'll get any other spells, like cure, stone...any of those weaker spells. They probably won't, so blu's gonna suck leveling up early levels. like a rdm w/ no spells lol
and i absolutely love the way they look. can't wait to get blu af!!

Lionx
01-03-2006, 04:49 PM
Actually Dhalmel Healing Breeze sounds really good ^^ i hope they get that.

strawberryman
01-03-2006, 10:02 PM
ps: maybey they will suprise us with a furthered lvl cap and a nice array of third jobs, then this would all make more sense.

Considering they made the Merit Point system, a higher level cap is very doubtful. >_>

Markus. D
01-04-2006, 01:20 PM
If you actually think SE is stupid enough to let you have those kinds of moves, i think you need to reaccess the situation..if you CAN have those moves it will be serverely nerfed so that it is balanced. There is the knowledge that it will be unbalanced at first like any game, but will be tweaked.

But no i dont think reaching lvl 80 is going to be any better...doesnt seem likely.

level 120.

and 3rd job advancement please.

ovcourse there would be new quests and stuff..................

:mad: *goes to steal PiPs hair*

Garland
01-06-2006, 02:37 AM
It's a shame that SE is describing Blue Mage as a frontlines battlemage with spells and skill with a scimitar. You know new Blue Mages will want to exp this way, and yet, you know, no matter how poorly it might work, FFXI society will force the Blue Mage into the back ranks. It's going to be Red Mage drama all over again. SE tries to make jobs fun, and society tries to make sure no job can have more fun than their job, and all havoc will break loose. Red Mages will be inspired to return to their rightful roots. Maybe this'll be a good thing after all. Fun>Efficiency. Maybe Blu will be a good sub for my Blm too. Can't have enough mage subs.

Lionx
01-06-2006, 08:17 AM
However Efficientcy can equal fun...pretty sick when you have take 3 hours but get 5K exp >> However it is undoubtably true that a RDM in the backline overweight anything they can offer in front lines past 33 and even before i doubt.

Depending on how things are going, i still feel WHM is best sub...but it depends on how BLU is developed.

Garland
01-06-2006, 10:52 PM
Yeah, I agree 110% that mages in the backline are the most efficient in a party. While I hold all of the unwritten rules of "cookie-cutterness" in disdain, often vocally, I follow said rules to a T. As far as subjobs for blue mage, I hadn't thought much on it. It really depends on how SE works its magic skill. There are two likely possibilities. One is a generic "Summoning Magic" coverall skill. Second is that each blue magic "spell" is classified Divine, Dark, Healing, Enhancing, or Elemental. If the first is the case, only Whm would be an acceptable sub, for the same reason that Smns only sub Whm. Healing magic isn't resistable. If Blue Magic uses standard magic classification like Rdm, Whm and Blm, then Blue Mage would have a subjob situation like a Rdm. Sometimes Whm would be best for Na spells and Erase. Sometimes Blm would be best for I guess Escape and Aspir. Rdm might even be a potent sub, with Fast Cast, a nice mix of nukes and cures (the only other job that could benefit from both parts of a rdm's arsenal), phalanx and such. I think /Rdm could possibly be the best enhancement of what it seems Blue Mage is aiming to be. Blue Mage and Red Mage are looking to be Kindred Spirits in a way, with Blue taking an offensive instead of support role.

Isis
01-06-2006, 11:47 PM
I just know blue mages are going to piss me off. It's going to probably degrade blm and/or rdm..

Lionx
01-06-2006, 11:48 PM
Pray tell how?

Garland
01-07-2006, 11:53 PM
Degrade Blm and Rdm? As in compete for our PT slots? I welcome it. I'm a career Blm myself. Once Rng was nerfed, Blm became the job of the month, and quite frankly, I want the damage-hunting-bandwagoneers out. I pray Blue Mage is powerful enough to steal the powergamers that only care about a fast ride to 75 and an active endgame against gods. The Rng nerf was the worst thing to happen to Blm and the best thing to happen to Rng.

Croyles
01-08-2006, 03:30 PM
The philosopher's stone and red water seem to be a direct reference to Fullmetal Alchemist.

Err not quite. The myth of Alchemy has been around for centuries.
Wikipedia:
"The philosopher's stone, in Latin lapis philosophicus, is a mythical substance that supposedly could turn inexpensive metals into gold and/or create an elixir that would make humans younger, thus delaying death. It was a longtime "holy grail" of Western alchemy. In the mystic view of alchemy, making the philosopher's stone would bring enlightenment upon the maker and conclude the Great Work. It is also known by several other names, such as materia prima."

So not exactly a direct reference.

Anyway, would be cool to use Alchemists in FFXI.

Ouch!
01-09-2006, 09:26 PM
I know about the philosopher's stone. I'm talking more about the fact that it can be synthed into red water which was what was used in FMA to create an incomplete philosopher's stone.

Croyles
01-09-2006, 10:29 PM
Ah I see.. Sorry. ^^
:p

chronic_Maniac
01-10-2006, 09:55 AM
I wonder if you can only use certain spells on certain levels. That would keep some balance. With that you might be able to learn some really powerful enemy attacks, but you won't be able to use them if blu is your sub job.

Auragaea
01-11-2006, 04:38 PM
Here are most of the Blue Magic in every FF from V to TA. I removed the Blue Spells which will most likely never be in FFXI and this is the list of the spells that I found:

Aqua Rake/Water Breath: Yes, most likely chance it will be in FFXI.
Exploder: If it is in FFXI, it would work like a mini Mijin Gakure.
Goblin Punch: Goblins don't use it, but it might be new to Aht Uhrgan.
Mighty Guard: It's been in most FFs, so it'll most likely be in FFXI.
L.3 ?: It varies with each FF, but it'll most likely be in FFXI.
L.4 ?: It varies with each FF, but it'll most likely be in FFXI.
L.5 ?: It varies with each FF, but it'll most likely be in FFXI.
Magic Hammer: Well, it's been in most FFs, so it might be in FFXI.
Mind Blast: It's basically an AoE Paralyze.
Pep Up: I'm not sure, but it's like a support version of Exploder.
Roulette: The majority of time, there'll only be seven people engaged in combat; your PT members and the mob. That means, there'll only be a 14% chance for the mob to get hit by Roulette.
White Wind/Healing Breeze: There's a 95% chance it will be in FFXI, but it will most likely change from other FFs.
Revenge/Pumpkin Head: Most likely it'll be in FFXI.
Force Field: Yes. It increases elemental resistance.
Angel Whisper: Yes, but not sure which FF it'll be based on.
Dragon Force: Yes, but its effects will be compunded.
Bad Breath: It will be in FFXI.
Beta/Fire Breath: We've seen it, so yes.
Trine/Electrocute: Electrical version of Fire Breath.
Shadow Flare: Not sure about this.
Ultra Wave: Again, not sure.
Auto Life: Basically a blue version of Reraise.
Earth Shake: Probably an earth version of Fire Breath.
Twister: It could either be a Wind verison of Fire Breath, or an AoE Demi.
Vanish: Blue version of Invisible and/or Blink.
Nova: Not sure...
Absorb: It's Lancet with a different name. I'm leaning towards yes.
Blaster: Damages like Demi, but has a small chance of causing death.
Heaven's Cataract: An AoE spell that lowers VIT and MNT. Probably a yes.
Haste Break: A blue version of Slow.

Lionx
01-11-2006, 05:23 PM
You know the more i think about it, if BLU is lvled right it can be a potential new sub for RDM..@_@ You can sub just about anything to a RDM and make it work in at least ONE situation..

NeoCracker
01-12-2006, 04:06 AM
If it does get all those it could be nice for a Warrior type.

Ouch!
01-12-2006, 04:18 AM
If you mean it'll be nice as a warrior subjob...
No... just no.

escobert
01-12-2006, 05:06 AM
The only way I could see dancer working would be if they gave it a face lift and gave it distinctly different set of abilities than the bard--maybe more offensive dances? I don't see that happening, though.

I still want alchemist. =O
Alchemist would be sweet. Just found out all my stuuf for XI is at my dads. It'll be a month or so before I start playing again xD