PDA

View Full Version : "Tie-dus" or "Tee-dus"?

Pages : [1] 2

KentaRawr!
12-24-2005, 04:25 AM
Hello. My sister and I once got in a debate about how Tidus's name is pronounced. I had 2 bits of proof that it was "Teedus":

1. The preview that came with FF: SW said; "A young boy named Tidus (Tee-dus) ..."

2. In Kingdom Hearts, Waka (sp?) said; "Me an' Tidus (Tee-dus) ..."

My sister (And her group of friends) proof was: "In Final Fantasy X they said it that way!" They never told me when his name was muttered in FFX. :(

So, how is his name pronounced? I am making this a poll, too, so I can show my sister the numbers. :cool:

rubah
12-24-2005, 04:30 AM
I've never played kingdom hearts, and I have never heard anyone named tea-dus, irl, but I have heard of tie-duses, so I choose that.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
12-24-2005, 04:36 AM
In the Japanese games, it's tee-da. In the American ones, it's tee-dus. Tie-dus is wrong either way.

obsessed_wif_yuna
12-24-2005, 04:50 AM
well aussies(australians) pronounce it tie/dus while americans pronounce it tea/dus so we cant really figure it out can we?

TurkSlayer
12-24-2005, 04:50 AM
Totally Tee-Dus.

Tempest
12-24-2005, 05:04 AM
When playing FFX I always thought it was Tie-dus but, after Wakka in Kingdom Hearts called him Tee-dus, I say it that way now.

Vyk
12-24-2005, 05:05 AM
well aussies(australians) pronounce it tie/dus while americans pronounce it tea/dus so we cant really figure it out can we?
rubah's American, so your logic is flawed :P

And I pronounce it like Titus, with a D. Because romaji is stupid in our language. Though I don't think it was made to cater to english speakers anyway. I've had debates about this with my ex- and apparently, english is just a really stupid language for pronunciation (not that I could argue that one). I guess we're like the only language with silent E's? While Japanese (in regards to romaji anyway, I know they don't know what an E is) pronounce every single one they put forth. I keep saying we should have an english-catering romaji, where things are spelled in a manner that we would already know the proper pronunciation without having to be taught. If they spelled it "Teetus" we wouldn't have a problem. It'd be spoken correctly. Just not spelled in the typical romaji fashion (which isn't inherently wrong, romaji was made up for this very purpose, but obvioulsy for a different language)

obsessed_wif_yuna
12-24-2005, 05:24 AM
yeah but--im just tlkin about english speakers coz i cant name every language that this game is made in

Slade
12-24-2005, 05:28 AM
Totally Tee-Dus.
Yep. And I like it that way too.

Shauna
12-24-2005, 01:08 PM
Tie-dus ftw!

Cruise Control
12-24-2005, 02:13 PM
It's pronounced tea-dus in Kingdom Hearts, but I call him tie-dus anyway.

Flash
12-24-2005, 08:53 PM
I always pronounced his name as Tie-dus, never Tee-dus.

But I don't think they ever said his name in FFX, maybe only once but I wasn't paying attention.

Markus. D
12-24-2005, 09:16 PM
its officially pronounced Ti-dus

not tie-dus, tight-ass or Tee-dious.

ff7+ff10 gurl 100
12-24-2005, 09:26 PM
I say and will always say Tie-dus
Tee-dus makes me want to shiver *shivers*

ffxfreak93
12-24-2005, 10:02 PM
i don't even like the guy,but i pronounce it tie-dus

Cruise Control
12-24-2005, 10:16 PM
tight-ass
Next playthrough thats his name.

raskerino
12-24-2005, 10:30 PM
And I pronounce it like Titus, with a D.

Yeah, same. Tee-dus sound so incredibly bad, I was cracked up for maybe 30 seconds when I first heard it.

Sain Cai
12-24-2005, 10:39 PM
I pronounce it Tie dus, but I guess since Teedus sounds like a whimpy, whinie name, that is probably it :D

ffxfreak93
12-24-2005, 10:40 PM
good one sain cai

TurkSlayer
12-24-2005, 11:43 PM
But I don't think they ever said his name in FFX, maybe only once but I wasn't paying attention.

I've beaten the game three times, and no, they never say his name. Yuna reffers to him once as the "Star of the Zanarkand Abes", and that's the closest anyone got. I really wish they hadn't given the option of changing his name...

ffxfreak93
12-24-2005, 11:53 PM
what about when seymour says "son of jecht"?

SummonerYuna
12-25-2005, 12:33 AM
I think it is Tie dus.
Because It does sound more like Tidus. But,
I'm not sure though. lol!:D

TheSpoonyBard
12-25-2005, 01:07 AM
Tie-dus for me. Always has been, always will be.

TurkSlayer
12-25-2005, 01:21 AM
what about when seymour says "son of jecht"?

True, that's another way they get around saying his name.

Sain Cai
12-25-2005, 01:37 AM
Auron calls him "New Guy"
I think Cid calls him Boy :D

ffxfreak93
12-25-2005, 04:43 AM
there's a bunch of ways

Crossblades
12-26-2005, 04:55 PM
Totally Tee-Dus.

Suikojowy
12-26-2005, 05:08 PM
I say Tie-Dus since that's what I thought it was at first, but lots of sources say it's actually Tee-Dus

FFX_fanatiq
12-26-2005, 05:20 PM
It's pronounced tea-dus in Kingdom Hearts, but I call him tie-dus anyway.

Azure Chrysanthemum
12-26-2005, 05:27 PM
As was stated by Kishi, the Japanese pronunciation is Tee-da, thus the American one is Tee-dus, which is what I've called him ever since I learned which was correct.

kikimm
12-26-2005, 08:18 PM
Yep. Tee-dus is right, and that's what I call him.

Before I knew it was that, though, I pronounced it Tie-dus. Which may or may not be cooler.

Kamiko
12-26-2005, 08:23 PM
Tie-dus sounds better but I mostly call him sexy.
Or cry baby depending on my mood.

4evarisha
12-27-2005, 09:47 AM
It is pronounced the one that I pick I think.

ffxfreak93
12-27-2005, 09:50 AM
i say tee-dus when i'm makin fun of him

Ilyn
12-27-2005, 03:25 PM
its officially pronounced Ti-dus

not tie-dus, tight-ass or Tee-dious.

My mom calls him tight-ass. How wrong is that?

I read an interview with... I think maybe it was Nomura! It was some really important Japanese guy at square... o_O; (there goes my street cred) before FFX came out, and this was one of the questions they asked him. He laughed when they suggested it was "Tie-dus" as in tide, because we see him standing near the water on the cover art. He confirmed that it was definitely "Tee-dus" because the name was connected to the sun, not the water, due to Tidus' sunny personality.

By the way, your sister is weird. Where did they say Tidus in FFX? They let you name him, for goodness' sakes, so they purposely avoid saying it. My cousins named him Bob Crap. (I have a very colorful family.) What would they do if you had a character named Bob Crap and they went and called him Tidus?

Either way, I don't think it's anything to get your knickers in a twist about.

Jessweeee♪
12-28-2005, 06:26 PM
Well...I pronounce it Tie-dus. BUT that is only because that's how I thought it was pronounced before i was proved wrong.
In Kingdom Hearts, Wakka DOES say Tee-dus. I don't remember the preview though.

TIDUS IS NEVER PRONOUNCED IN FFX OR FFX-2. It was so annoying!!! In ffx-2 they just use those stupid pronouns. "it is him?" "i think it's you-know-who!"

If you know someone who has KH then just borrow it real quick and start a new game, it's right at the beginning.

EDIT: OH MY GOD!! I MAY HAVE PROOF FOR YOU RIGHT HERE!!! Ok this is an interview with James Arnold Taylor, the guy that does the voice for Tidus. There's an audio version available for download (i can't download it so i can't say this will work) and if you read it, they say his name several times. I did a search for this and it seems to have perplexed many FF fans...

CLICKY HERE FOR THE ANSWER!!! (http://www.ffonline.com/news/news.php?article=2002-02-08)

IpwnUthisMuch|------|
12-28-2005, 09:29 PM
Tie-dus sounds way cooler than tee-dus...

every other person in history named tidus has had there name pronounced tie-dus so why should this guy be any different...

only reason the developers call it teedus is because in japanese it sounds more like that and they are really wierd...

call it tidus because it makes sense and japanese people dont...

Jessweeee♪
12-29-2005, 07:17 PM
Well it was made in Japan was it not? Like I said, I myself say Tie-dus but I believe Tee-dus is the correct way.
AND I AM NOT A GUY YOU STUPIDS!!!

Foetus In Fetu
12-29-2005, 08:33 PM
They never say his name in Final Fantasy X or in X-2; they're quite clever about not saying it even when directly addressing him.

The thing about romaji is that for translating individual characters it is accurate, but when you put those characters together in English it often appears as though it should be pronounced differently. Tidus isn't even a literal romanisation of Tidus' Japanese name, though, so S-E have no excuse for giving him a name that looks like it should be pronounced Tie-dus.

ffxfreak93
12-29-2005, 08:55 PM
they call tidus him

Jessweeee♪
12-29-2005, 10:24 PM
You sister did NOT hear it in FFX. Really, if I name him BillyBob JimJoe and they call him Tidus?
Yuna: I love you Tidus!
"Tidus": FOR THE LAST TIME, YOU RETARD, MY NAME IS BILLYBOB JIMJOE!!!

***possible spoiler***

Though there was no excuse for that in 10-2. If you look at the dialouge, I think it says Tidus (I don't remember) at the end, but they won't say it still.

Rikku: Is it him?
Yuna: I think it is!
Paine: Who the hell do you two keep talking about!!!

lady yunalesca
01-02-2006, 03:20 PM
Definitely Tee-dus!!! listen to an interveiw with any of the voice actors!!! besides Tee-dus is much cooler!! :)

Chloe.
01-02-2006, 06:45 PM
No it is not!! Tee-dus sounds really gay and it doesn't suit him!! I know that is how you say it but I always say Tie-dus anyway, it sounds much cooler!!

Jessweeee♪
01-02-2006, 06:48 PM
Please, listen to the interview in the link I posted in a previous post. They say Tidus several times and if James Arnold Taylor doesn't know, then who does?

Hambone
01-02-2006, 09:07 PM
tie-dus sounds much cooler and it sounds right.

IpwnUthisMuch|------|
01-02-2006, 09:10 PM
Tie-dus is definately right because that is how you pronounce Tidus... all other people in history named Tidus have been pronounced Tie-dus... Tee-dus is just wierd and asian

Jessweeee♪
01-02-2006, 09:31 PM
Well, Japan is in Asia, no?

Yes I do think Tie makes more sense than Tee, and that's how I do pronounce it, but at least look at possible proof of what way it could be pronounced.
If there IS a square employee here that knows this please, please settle this.
Pretty please.
With a cherry on top?

IpwnUthisMuch|------|
01-02-2006, 09:35 PM
even if a square employee calls him Tee-dus i wouldnt... that sounds ridiculous

Jessweeee♪
01-02-2006, 09:57 PM
Kumquats are rediculous...but they exist.

IpwnUthisMuch|------|
01-02-2006, 10:04 PM
yep well doesnt mean i cant call it Tidus and still suggest that it sounds a lot better and would have been a wiser choice as the name of the main character rather than teedus which sounds lame

~SapphireStar~
01-02-2006, 10:56 PM
I pronunce it as Tee-dus. I dont mind how others say it.

Fate Fatale
01-02-2006, 10:59 PM
tee-dus

Raven Nox
01-02-2006, 11:15 PM
Tee-dus is the correct, but I like tie-dus better, and due to the focus on water in FF10, I'd say it fits him more than tee-dus, I normally just alternate.

~SapphireStar~
01-02-2006, 11:26 PM
I dont see a water connection with tie-dus at all, cause whats water got to do with a tie? Tee dus is better suited to the water theory cause you need water in order to make tea.

IpwnUthisMuch|------|
01-03-2006, 12:45 AM
because tidus pronounced Tie-dus was a roman god pertaining to the sea?

Raven Nox
01-03-2006, 01:23 AM
Becuase "tie-dus" sounds like "tide," but the Roman god thing works as well, even if it doesn't exist,I don't know, I don't know anything about Roman gods or anything.

Holy_Aeris
01-03-2006, 02:04 AM
I thought it was Tie-dus until i bought the game, cause on the special disc thingy the voice actor calls him Tee-dus.

IpwnUthisMuch|------|
01-03-2006, 02:31 AM
oh the roman god thing was just wingin it... i actually have no idea... did it sound smart?

Matrinka
01-03-2006, 02:50 AM
I'm sticking with my pronunciation of "Tide-us," even if Tee-dus is correct.

I heard the interview with his voice actor, he says Teed-us. Wakka says "Teed-us" in Kingdom Hearts. The trailor for FFX before dvd of "The Spirits Within" also says Teed-us...

But, I still stick with Tide-us. Sounds better to my ears :)

Omnislash07
01-03-2006, 03:01 AM
I dont care how SE says it is supposed to be pronounced it is Tie-dus. Every person witht he name Tidus pronounces it that way, you cant just say "no i dont like that i want to say it this way" you have to change the spelling to like Tedus then it would be okay. So to recap it is Tie-dus and SE cant spell end of debate.

IpwnUthisMuch|------|
01-03-2006, 03:32 AM
agreed.

Vaprice
01-03-2006, 03:46 AM
look amercan people=tie-dus

asian people=tee-dus

end of discussion... lol

GooeyToast
01-03-2006, 03:53 AM
Tee-dus sounds stupid, so I pronouce it Tie-dus

Vaprice
01-03-2006, 03:57 AM
The reason Tee-dus is pronounced as such is becuase we don't have that "I" sound in our alphabet.

Therefore it doesn't sound silly.

IpwnUthisMuch|------|
01-03-2006, 04:01 AM
if you dont have an I sound how do you pronounce vaprice?

~SapphireStar~
01-03-2006, 10:42 AM

asian people=tee-dus

end of discussion... lol

Im not Asian or American and I pronunce it as Tee-dus ...

Chloe.
01-03-2006, 10:47 AM
Well Im not American or Asian and I say Tie-dus.

Setzer Gabianni
01-03-2006, 12:49 PM
[!]Twat - face.
Twat - face.[/!]*snip*

*coughs*

In all seriousness...I pronounce it Tie-dus..

Do not use vulgar language on this site. ~ Leeza

Rogue
01-03-2006, 09:31 PM
well i looked into it but if you have ffthe sprits withn it has prewviews and it says tee dus

IpwnUthisMuch|------|
01-03-2006, 09:40 PM
thank you captain obvious everyone already knows that the square guys call it tee-dus its been said like infintiy billion times... if you want to call it tee-dus go ahead... if you want tie-dus go ahead... i personally think tie-dus sounds cooler

Renmiri
01-04-2006, 02:43 AM
Tee-dus according to this promotional video (I believe it is official)
http://downloads.gamezone.com/demos/d5235.htm

Omnislash07
01-04-2006, 04:02 PM
Yeah we all know that SE officially pronounces it as Tee-dus but what most of us are saying is that they pronounce it wrong. It was Tee-dus in Japanese but then when it went to be translated they made it Tidus which is actually supposed to be pronouced Tie-dus.

Matrinka
01-04-2006, 06:01 PM
I dont care how SE says it is supposed to be pronounced it is Tie-dus. Every person witht he name Tidus pronounces it that way, you cant just say "no i dont like that i want to say it this way" you have to change the spelling to like Tedus then it would be okay. So to recap it is Tie-dus and SE cant spell end of debate.

Soo... you're saying it could be Ted-us?

Lord Xehanort
01-04-2006, 06:43 PM
It's Tee-dus. SE is NOT pronouncing it wrong. Why? The Japanese alphabet vowel sounds are identical to Spanish vowel sounds.
a- ah
e- eh
i- ee
o-oh
u- oo

So, the following things are true:
Kimahri- Kee-mah-ree
Rikku, Yuna, Lulu and Wakka are phonetical.
AND Tidus- Tee-dus

His name doesn't break any rules of English with this pronunciation. Consider the words 'Yahoo', 'Select' and 'Kiwi'. In the words, we find a consonant surrounded by two vowels. BUT, the first vowel does NOT use its long sound.

For the name to be pronounced 'Tie-dus', it would have to be spelled 'Tydus' or 'Taidus'. But 'Tidus' is clearly pronounced as if it were spelled 'Teedus'.

Renmiri
01-04-2006, 07:09 PM
It's Tee-dus. SE is NOT pronouncing it wrong. Why? The Japanese alphabet vowel sounds are identical to Spanish vowel sounds.
a- ah
e- eh
i- ee
o-oh
u- oo

Kimahri- Kee-mah-ree
AND Tidus- Tee-dus

His name doesn't break any rules of English with this pronunciation. Consider the words 'Yahoo', 'Select' and 'Kiwi'. In the words, we find a consonant surrounded by two vowels. BUT, the first vowel does NOT use its long sound.

For the name to be pronounced 'Tie-dus', it would have to be spelled 'Tydus' or 'Taidus'. But 'Tidus' is clearly pronounced as if it were spelled 'Teedus'.

Not to mention the Roman name Titus is also pronounced Tee-Tus.

Lord Xehanort
01-04-2006, 07:15 PM
Not to mention the Roman name Titus is also pronounced Tee-Tus.

I didn't know that name existed...

But it's a good reference, Renmiri (REN-MEE-REE).

Rogue
01-09-2006, 02:32 AM
a- ah
e- eh
i- ee
o-oh
u- oo

Kimahri- Kee-mah-ree
AND Tidus- Tee-dus

hes right

Renmiri
01-09-2006, 08:19 PM
But it's a good reference, Renmiri (REN-MEE-REE).

Bet you all can't remember where you heard REN-MEE-REE in Final Fantasy X!
:D

Psydekick
01-10-2006, 08:05 PM
I thought it was said Tid-us:)

dŁv!l'$ ph0Łn!x
01-10-2006, 08:46 PM
IT'S TIE-DUS, ALWAYS HAS BEEN ALWAYS WILL BE. I DON'T CARE IF TIDUS HIMSELF RUNS UP TO ME, PUTS THE POINT OF CALADBOLG IN BETWEEN MY EYES AND SCREAMS AT THE TOP OF HIS LUNGS "MY NAME IS PRONOUNCED TEE-DUS YOU JACKASS!!!" I WILL STILL PRONOUNCE IT TIE-DUS. THE END!!!

Psydekick
01-10-2006, 08:52 PM
IT'S TIE-DUS, ALWAYS HAS BEEN ALWAYS WILL BE. I DON'T CARE IF TIDUS HIMSELF RUNS UP TO ME, PUTS THE POINT OF CALADBOLG IN BETWEEN MY EYES AND SCREAMS AT THE TOP OF HIS LUNGS "MY NAME IS PRONOUNCED TEE-DUS YOU JACKASS!!!" I WILL STILL PRONOUNCE IT TIE-DUS. THE END!!!
Wow calm down Mr angry does it really matter?:)

Jessweeee♪
01-10-2006, 10:43 PM

Lol...I do the same, though I do know I'm pronouncing it incorrectly.
Just like I know ain't is slang for amn't which isn't used anymore but I say it anyway...

Lord Xehanort
01-11-2006, 01:32 AM
Bet you all can't remember where you heard REN-MEE-REE in Final Fantasy X!
:D

It's in the Hymn of the Fayth.

I E YU I
NO BO ME NO
REN MI RI
YO JU YO RO

Not sure about lines 2 and 4, but 1 and 3 are right.

Psydekick
01-11-2006, 04:14 PM
What great lyrics:rolleyes2

Heero Yuy NWZC
01-11-2006, 04:31 PM
a- ah
e- eh
i- ee
o-oh
u- oo

Kimahri- Kee-mah-ree
AND Tidus- Tee-dus

we know how the japanses pronunciation for vowels is! besides there is no official way of saying it really because american pronunciation and japanese pronunciation is different.

Lord Xehanort
01-11-2006, 05:28 PM
we know how the japanses pronunciation for vowels is! besides there is no official way of saying it really because american pronunciation and japanese pronunciation is different.

Japanese vowels.
Japanese-produced game.
Japanese pronunciation in the trailer.
Japanese pronunciation of the name.

SquareEnix can't pronounce the names of their own characters incorrectly. They created them, and created their names. Their pronounciation is correct. To say otherwise is pure arrogance.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
01-11-2006, 05:44 PM
I see a lot of people saying it's pronounced tee-dus by the Japanese. It's not. The Japanese pronounciation is tee-da. Okinawa and all. Tee-dus is Square's official pronounciation outside of Japan, though.

Lord Xehanort
01-11-2006, 05:51 PM
Yeah, it was 'Tida', or some variant of spelling like that.

I just apply Japanese pronunciation rules to all names in the FF games nowadays, because it seems to flow better...

Emily52
01-11-2006, 06:10 PM
I put "It's pronounced Teedus"
Cuz I'm pretty sure that's what it is.
But I still say Tie-dus cuz it sounds better!

Heero Yuy NWZC
01-12-2006, 03:43 AM
Japanese vowels.
Japanese-produced game.
Japanese pronunciation in the trailer.
Japanese pronunciation of the name.

SquareEnix can't pronounce the names of their own characters incorrectly. They created them, and created their names. Their pronounciation is correct. To say otherwise is pure arrogance.
did i say they were wrong? No! stop dissing ppl and read! ppl say it as "tie-dus" because of american pronunciation and because it sounds better to them. don't try and make the name one pronunciation. let ppl say it as they please, they are paying for the game. besides, in my opinion, asians ROCK!

carro
01-12-2006, 03:00 PM
I'm from Sweden so we pronaunce it Tee-dus and it sounds best that way. I don't really like that they changed it though, why couldn't they just keep Tida if that's what he's called in Japanese!? Tidus might sound better than Tida..but still...it's his real name lol

Heero Yuy NWZC
01-12-2006, 05:42 PM
in japanese it is. it doesn't really matter. u can say it either way.

Fatal Impurity
01-12-2006, 05:56 PM
i ALWAYS pronounce it tie-dus just out of spite for the way the americans say it and also it just doesnt sound right....;) :P

daniel kid
01-13-2006, 08:45 PM
i hate it when ppl sat teedus agghh it does my head in AGHGGHHHH hes Tidus tydus like tht o;

Fatal Impurity
01-13-2006, 09:04 PM
nice one daniel kid! you tell 'em! we will never surrender to the americans stupid pronounciation! :)

daniel kid
01-13-2006, 09:28 PM
SAY TYEDUS

not teedus ahhhhh

Shiny
01-13-2006, 09:52 PM
"Tee(Tea)-dus" because Square is weird with names and junk. But also, it is trust me. Japanese pronounce their i's like e's anyway. Tye-dus sounds better and more familiar though.

Lord Xehanort
01-14-2006, 12:24 AM
"Tee(Tea)-dus" because Square is weird with names and junk. But also, it is trust me. Japanese pronounce their i's like e's anyway. Tye-dus sounds better and more familiar though.

I vaguely recall pointing that out.

So, a recap.

TEE-DUS > TIE-DUS.

Lycaon
01-14-2006, 07:04 AM

So, a recap.

TEE-DUS > TIE-DUS.

Actually it's tied.

Lord Xehanort
01-14-2006, 12:23 PM
I wasn't talking about the amount of votes...

Werries06
01-14-2006, 08:04 PM
i pronounce it Ti-Dus ("Ti" as in Timber)

Jessweeee♪
01-15-2006, 02:27 AM
Tee-duh
tee-dus

wow...big difference there...

Heero Yuy NWZC
01-15-2006, 08:18 PM
teedus, tydus, whatever! Square makes weird names because they're japanese. Their names are diferent then ours. Doesn't matter how u say it because Square only said how it is said in japanese, not american or any other language! just say it how u want!

Rikku_Is_Me
01-16-2006, 05:17 AM
Next playthrough thats his name.
LOL...maybe that's from the way he runs....:D

Originally Posted by omegaweapon2005:
nice one daniel kid! you tell 'em! we will never surrender to the americans stupid pronounciation!

hey...don't go slamming Americans...I say it like Tydus aswell....

mega_tonberry
01-16-2006, 05:21 AM
I'm american so I say tie-dus. But like people have been saying, just call him what you want to.

Heero Yuy NWZC
01-16-2006, 05:28 AM
thnk u for the backup!:D

Red Squall
01-17-2006, 04:43 AM
well as im english i would say Tie-dus and that is how i have heard everyone say his name. however the voice actor James Arnold taylor who does his voice calls him tee-dus

to prove this an interview with James Arnold taylor

http://www.square-enix-usa.com/games/FFX/btg/taylor.html

however this would not stop me from calling him tie-dus i think that where your from counts for different pronucations, and Tee-dus is the american way.

Heero Yuy NWZC
01-17-2006, 05:07 AM
That's because he heard how it is in japanese and stuck with it.

Slayer1514
01-27-2006, 01:04 AM
Totally Tee-Dus.

Dr.M
01-27-2006, 05:56 AM
i say tie-dus. my friends and i sniggered when we said tee-dus as a joke.
and also this might sound a little obbsessed but the 1st fmv with the blitzball. i swear i can hear some1 yell "i love u "tie-dus". but i do think that they should'nt have let us change it coz i got 1 friend (who only got the game coz we all had it and hates it) call him humpy. i give her deathstares and yell at her. it's quite entertaining really.

Tai-Ti
01-27-2006, 06:25 AM
i say tie-dus, cause thats how my brother told me it was pronounced, but then we asked microsoft sam, and he said other wsie, but screw him, tie-dus is the way to go, cause tee-dus sounds girly.

rikkupainegoofydonald
01-27-2006, 06:35 AM
I say Tie-dus (long I sound), I DO NOT SAY Tee-dus (short I sound/long e sound).

DeathKnight
01-28-2006, 08:12 PM
Back in 2000 I saw the preview of the game, and it said that Tidus' name is pronouced Tee-dus. And it was official since the magazine claimed it from Squaresoft(was they were known back then hehe) so IT IS Tee-dus.

In spanish it's easy. Tidus sounds just like Tee-dus.:D

Roto13
01-28-2006, 08:37 PM
It's pronounced...

>_>

<_<

>_>

<_<

Tidus!

*runs*

(sorry if that joke's been done. I didn't read the whole thread.)

Final Fantasy Addict
01-28-2006, 10:11 PM
It's Tie-dus.Tidus.See

blackraven19
01-28-2006, 11:36 PM
Its tie-dus end of discussion

Roto13
01-28-2006, 11:45 PM
If I were a mod or whatever, I'd close it right after that post :p

anacacia
01-29-2006, 12:35 AM
Its pronounced Tea-Dus. Not tie-dus.

Look for information it says so.

Maven
01-29-2006, 01:18 AM
It could be just pronunciation. Because there is a name Titus(Tie-tus) which is Greek. But in Japan there pronunciation is limited, in comparison to Romatic languages, so they say Tee-da...which you notice in many jap-eng anime/manga whatever translations. But I let my friends kid brother borrow FFX and I never said (Tie-tus) to him and he automatically said (Tee-Tus) so I really don't think there is an "official" name. I do, however, believe if anything it would have to be (Tie-Tus) because that is the actaully pronunciation for Titus as a name.

I don't want to post again, but Shiny_Griever....TIE-DUS...is winning...so your math is set up wrong :) it is Tie-dus > Tee-dus

Shiny
01-29-2006, 01:34 AM

So, a recap.

TEE-DUS > TIE-DUS.
I'm re-pointing it out. :D Teee-dus.

audsley
01-29-2006, 10:39 AM
I say and will always say Tie-dus
Tee-dus makes me want to shiver *shivers*
it does aye?
its so annoying aswell I can't even say it properly without throwing a temper!

lulusgirl
01-29-2006, 07:12 PM
nah,i think it's tee-dus.
tie-dus is kinda wierd..............it kinda sounds like "Die-us" when you say it fast so i dont' like it.

Tanith
01-31-2006, 08:23 AM
TEE-dus? Hmm...I coulda sworn it was TIE-dus. Sounds better in my head. And wasn't it the name of a greek God or something?

Oh well, however you say his name, he's gorgeous enough to pull it off :D

Roto13
01-31-2006, 04:35 PM
Oh well, however you say his name, he's gorgeous enough to pull it off :D
If you're into chicks....

Acid Raine
02-03-2006, 06:21 PM
If you're into chicks.... hehe, good one.

Anyways. I always said Tie-dus, until that unfathomable Kingdom Hearts said it. Now, I am forever stuck with Tee-dus. I still the the first one sounds better, but I cant get Tee-dus out of my head.

Auron Rules
02-04-2006, 03:18 PM
I think it is Tid~dus eneway it sounds better

Acid Raine
02-04-2006, 03:46 PM
I think it is Tid~dus eneway it sounds better

you mean like Tiddus? That makes it sound like tits....which is actually appropriate.

Nick Schovitz
02-04-2006, 04:14 PM
In kingdom Hearts Wakka pronounces it Tea-dus so tea-dus is correct.

Heero Yuy NWZC
02-04-2006, 04:23 PM
because that is the japanese pronunciation. the american pronunciation makes the name sound different so it doesn't matter how you say it, geez

Kawaii Ryűkishi
02-04-2006, 04:58 PM
Tee-dus is the American pronounciation, not the Japanese one. The Japanes pronounciation is tee-da.

I love repeating myself (http://forums.eyesonff.com/showpost.php?p=1454521&postcount=3).

Heero Yuy NWZC
02-04-2006, 07:00 PM
no, in american pronunciation it is Tie-dus. we are weird like that. if i took a poll on all the FFX ppl i know(and its more than 50 so shut up), almost all of them would say Tie-dus. it is how we roll here in the US. japanese pronunciation is different. there i mkes the ee sound.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
02-04-2006, 07:41 PM
I'm referring to the official American pronounciation. You're referring to a colloquial, incorrect one.

Heero Yuy NWZC
02-04-2006, 08:02 PM
it is correct since this pronunciation is used in a lot of american words. and no, the official pronunciation would make it sound like tidus with the i having the sound like in the word 'pin'

Kawaii Ryűkishi
02-04-2006, 08:10 PM
Grammatical conventions are irrelevant. Tee-dus is the official American pronounciation and hence the only correct one.

Yuna_wannabe
02-04-2006, 09:38 PM
Its tidus as in TEE not tie. My sisters boyfriend fliped out at me when i said Tiedus so i say teedus.

Heero Yuy NWZC
02-04-2006, 10:16 PM
ppl say teedus because that is the pronunciation of it in japanese, but there is tiedus also which is the american pronunciation for it. you can say it either way. it doesn't matter.

Kawaii, how can that be the official one if thousand or possibly even millions of ppl say tiedus? u have no basis for teedus being the american pronunciation while i do since our pronunciation follows many rules that change the sound of a letter for a particular reason.

Dragon Ash
02-04-2006, 10:18 PM
I know that the American voice actors all say Tee-dus, but hearing that name is worse than nails on a black board.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
02-04-2006, 10:35 PM
ppl say teedus because that is the pronunciation of it in japanese,Again (again), the Japanese pronounciation is tee-da.
Kawaii, how can that be the official one if thousand or possibly even millions of ppl say tiedus? u have no basis for teedus being the american pronunciation while i do since our pronunciation follows many rules that change the sound of a letter for a particular reason.All right, I see where you're coming from now. You don't understand what official means. The official pronounciation is whatever Square Enix says it is, not what a bunch of people think it is. And Square Enix has made it abundantly clear that the official American pronounciation is tee-dus--in Kingdom Hearts as well as in the FFX trailer included on the Spirits Within DVD. The English voice actors have also pronounced it tee-dus in interviews, and where do you suppose they learned that? From their bosses at Square Enix, man.

Heero Yuy NWZC
02-04-2006, 10:44 PM
no, Kawaii. it isn't. if that was the official way of saying it then ppl wouldn't be saying it any other way. u just don't see it. and u say their bosses from Square Enix make them say tee-dus when u also say that the japanese pronunciation is tee-da. u are contradicting urself.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
02-04-2006, 10:50 PM
They're the English-language voice actors. They hence use Square Enix's official English-language pronounciation, which, as I continue to laboriously attempt to explain to you, is tee-dus.
if that was the official way of saying it then ppl wouldn't be saying it any other way.This is entirely false. People have always been ignoring official pronounciations in favor of pronounciations that, however incorrect, are more intuitive to them. What's official is a matter of edict, not of public opinion or preference.

This Internet argument is dedicated to Ashley Mugley Jones.

Heero Yuy NWZC
02-04-2006, 10:55 PM
u know, obviously u have no intention of ending this so i will be the better man here(j/k) and walk away from this completely hopeless arguement.

*leaves*

DynasticJam
02-04-2006, 11:21 PM
I say Tee-dus, becuase it sounds better in my oppinion!

TheAbominatrix
02-04-2006, 11:23 PM
This Internet argument is dedicated to Ashley Mugley Jones.

Holy Christ I love you Kishi.

Anyway, I will add to the rhetoric and say Tee-dus, despite the fact that it'll be ignored by those with their fingers in their ears (or in this case, in their eyes) will still insisted on it being Tie-dus, despite Square-Enix saying differently.

I originally pronounced it Tie-dus, and I figured it had something to do with a watery game theme (Tide), but Kingdom Hearts came along and dashed that little theory.

Though I will gladly add, for Heero's sake, that I can pronounce my name as Moog-ley as a THOUSAND other people do when they call my house, but that's not how the name is correctly pronounced. Even if everyone else in the world pronounces it as such, it's Mug-ley, because that's how the creator of the monstorous surname intended it to be said.

Yep.

nik0tine
02-04-2006, 11:25 PM
Tie-dus sounds better, so I don't care that it's "Teedus". It'll always be Tie-dus for me.

TheAbominatrix
02-04-2006, 11:26 PM
Tie-dus sounds better, so I don't care that it's "Teedus". It'll always be Tie-dus for me.

You're fine, so long as you arent trying to insist that Tie-dus is correct.

And trust me baby, you're fine. *wink*

Heero Yuy NWZC
02-05-2006, 12:01 AM
*comes back briefly to add something*

i didn't say that tie-dus was the absolutely one way of saying it. if you see all my posts in this thread i say multiple times that it doesn't matter and you can say it which ever way you want.

*leaves again*

AdVincent
02-05-2006, 06:17 AM
Tea-Dus is absolutely queer.

Tie-Dus is more manly...and Tidus really needs it.

DeathKnight
02-05-2006, 09:30 PM
Tea-Dus is absolutely queer.

Tie-Dus is more manly...and Tidus really needs it.

Tee-dus sounds better, tiedus sounds dumb

and Vicent's the one who needs more manly-ism in him, just look at his girly long hair and those shoes:grumble: ;)

Maven
02-05-2006, 11:31 PM
It really doesn't matter, people say it differently. I just want to know where people got tee-dus from? It isn't the true pronunciation of the name first of all, it doesn't sound right, and there is no such name. Tidus is an actual name; and tie-dus is the true pronunciation.

LIKE I SAID THOUGH...I really don't care I just want to know why people started saying that. I mean I also stated before, I say Tie-Dus and then I gave the game to my friends' kid brother and asked him if he knew about the ending he said "Probably Tee-dus and Yuna hook up" (besides laughing at him because he didn't know, I was curious at why he said it that way)

TheAbominatrix
02-05-2006, 11:44 PM
As everyone has said over and over, Tee-dus comes from Kingdom Hearts. Given that's an official pronuncition, that is the TRUE pronunciation.

Like I said before, I originally said Tie-dus as well, as it makes sense. However, when the makers of the game say it one way, then that is the correct way, that's the way it's intended to be said.

I've never heard of anyone actually named Tie-dus, and I'm pretty sure it isnt a real name at all, though I cant be sure.

Maven
02-06-2006, 01:28 AM
I've never heard of anyone actually named Tie-dus, and I'm pretty sure it isnt a real name at all, though I cant be sure.

No, it is. It is in almost any baby name book and they also made a sitcom where the main character was named Tidus(tie-dus).

Slade
02-06-2006, 02:55 AM
No, it is. It is in almost any baby name book and they also made a sitcom where the main character was named Tidus(tie-dus).
It was probably Titus. Like the Roman guy (I think he was Roman)

TheAbominatrix
02-06-2006, 04:34 AM
It was probably Titus. Like the Roman guy (I think he was Roman)

You're most likely right. I just looked at tons of online baby name sites and a few baby name books laying around here, and I found no Tidus, but Titus is of course in there.

Flake
02-06-2006, 05:28 AM
His name is pronounced tee-dus,as awkward as it is to say.

The name you're all refering to is spelled Titus with 2 t's.
The sitcom was also called Titus,after the main character Christopher Titus,who just released a 1 hour stand up-comedy special on comedy central.
Very funny man.

Death Penalty
02-06-2006, 07:09 AM
I pronounce it the way that dont suck.:cool:

Seto Fett
02-06-2006, 09:52 PM
I've always pronounced it "tie-dus". Even it was officially "tee-dus", I'd still go with mine. Not really trying to be stubborn, it's just that it's the way I've always said it.

AdVincent
02-07-2006, 02:22 AM
As everyone has said over and over, Tee-dus comes from Kingdom Hearts. Given that's an official pronuncition, that is the TRUE pronunciation.

Like I said before, I originally said Tie-dus as well, as it makes sense. However, when the makers of the game say it one way, then that is the correct way, that's the way it's intended to be said.

Perhaps whoever the hell played Wakka in Kingdom Hearts made a mistake in his diction?

TheAbominatrix
02-07-2006, 02:54 AM
Perhaps whoever the hell played Wakka in Kingdom Hearts made a mistake in his diction?

That isnt the only place it's said though. Refer back to one of Kawaii Ryukishi's post, I believe he said it was in one of the demo disks that they use Tidus as well.

Regardless of this, however, they wouldnt just sluff it off and let it slide if Wakka's voice actor said it wrong. He would have had to redo it, they dont just let voice actors mispronounce things and then put it in the game that way.

mega_tonberry
02-07-2006, 03:00 AM
Just call him what you wan't to.:mad2:

DeathKnight
02-08-2006, 02:48 PM
His name is pronounced tee-dus,as awkward as it is to say.

The name you're all refering to is spelled Titus with 2 t's.
The sitcom was also called Titus,after the main character Christopher Titus,who just released a 1 hour stand up-comedy special on comedy central.
Very funny man.

to english speaking people it sounds awkward, latin speaking people such as french, spanish, portuguese, and italian find it easy and most asian people find it easy as well.:choc2:

teedus!

Final_Fantasy_Freak
02-09-2006, 02:55 AM
Yc oui lyh caa, "Dea-tic" ec fehhehk!

As you can see, "Tie-dus" is winning!

Final_Fantasy_Freak
02-09-2006, 03:00 AM
Nasaspan, Fyggy ryc cusa geht uv ylcahd, cu ra fuimt bnuhuhla ed tevvanyhdmo.

Remember, Wakka has some kind of acsent, so he would prononce it differantly.

TheAbominatrix
02-09-2006, 05:22 PM
Nasaspan, Fyggy ryc cusa geht uv ylcahd, cu ra fuimt bnuhuhla ed tevvanyhdmo.

Remember, Wakka has some kind of acsent, so he would prononce it differantly.

Not that differently, no. And, please note that it has been said in other places, including a demo by Square, and not said by Wakka.

Wakka's accent is not so strong that it distorts anyone else's name, so that isnt a good reason at all.

Jess
02-09-2006, 06:14 PM
Tie-dus ftw!

Shauna knows the score!

Everybody else I've ever talked to IRL about Final Fantasy (although I can say, that isn't a lot of people) say it Tie-dus too! :cool:

D.os
02-10-2006, 10:49 PM
Never played KH, and I pronunce it Tee-dus. :)

Yuna_wannabe
02-11-2006, 01:36 AM
ITS TEE-DIS!!!!

Shiny
02-14-2006, 02:08 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:Tidus

This should help this debate a little hopefully. Scroll down to His Name.

IceAngel
02-14-2006, 02:20 PM
I thought it was Tie(tye)dus but when I heard Tidus voice actor say it as Teedus on a bonus DVD with the game, i was a bit shocked. o well. I just pronounce it whichever way it comes out you know. It maybe 'Teedus' but whichever way you look at it, it doesnt really bother me that much. Its like this shop called 'Primark' but different people pronounce it different ways. I prefer 'Pryemark' not 'Preemark'. lol

Social Moon Firesky
02-14-2006, 05:57 PM
"Tee-dus" makes him sound gayer than he already is. :p

DeathKnight
02-15-2006, 02:47 AM
"Tee-dus" makes him sound gayer than he already is. :p

Not more than your icon:twak:

Tanith
02-15-2006, 12:33 PM

asian people=tee-dus

end of discussion... lol

I'm asian and american and australian and latina.

So do i pronounce it as TEIEEEIII-BOB-ESTAS?

IceAngel
02-15-2006, 03:04 PM
So do i pronounce it as TEIEEEIII-BOB-ESTAS?

haha:)

Social Moon Firesky
02-15-2006, 04:05 PM
Not more than your icon:twak:

Frankly, I am appalled at that shameful outburst. Pistols at ten paces, you cad! *Slaps you around the face with a laced, white gauntlet* :choc2:

In Japanese, his name is written as 'Tee-dus', and the few times his name is spoken, it's pronounced that way as well. I just happen to think 'Tie-dus' sounds a lot better. And it doesn't make me so goddamn thirsty either.

IceAngel
02-15-2006, 04:09 PM
Ok peeps lets not have war over this. The writers 'prefered' it to be 'Teedus' but most fans prefer it to be 'Tiedus'. Simple as.

Social Moon Firesky
02-15-2006, 04:15 PM
Ok peeps lets not have war over this.

Lol, I'm only joking about that whole 'pistols at ten paces' thing...I'm a pacifist. :greenie:

IceAngel
02-15-2006, 04:19 PM
lol i know. its just that half of the peeps on here are really getting into this lol :)

Ashi
02-15-2006, 04:23 PM
I've always thought of it as teedus. And since it was pronounced that way on KH, I would assume it was meant to be teedus. They wouldn't use the track if the name was said wrong.

Maybe there are other names IRL that are said Tiedus/Tydus but I guess it's a different name? :greenie:

Social Moon Firesky
02-15-2006, 04:23 PM
lol i know. its just that half of the peeps on here are really getting into this lol :)

xD

This is one of those 'tomato/tomatoe' arguments, huh? Probably best to just call him 'Bob' and leave it at that. That's what I do.

IceAngel
02-15-2006, 04:26 PM
[QUOTE=Social Moon Firesky]xD
Probably best to just call him 'Bob' and leave it at that.QUOTE]

That was what i was just about to say lol :p

Rocket Edge
02-15-2006, 05:33 PM
I called him Tie-dus at the start until i was corrected... i think it was corrected until now anyway:confused:

Thoughtless
02-17-2006, 11:43 PM
I called him Tie-dus at the start, after I finished the game once I looked at the interview on bonus disc and the person playing him said Tee-dus. Still Tee-dus is a lame name so i just continued called him Tie-dus ^^

And yea that part in KHs too proves it.

N a G a S a K i
02-18-2006, 03:18 AM
This is all new to me. This whole time I've been referring to him as Tie-Dus. I suppose I'll correct myself. ;x

mooglebunni608
02-18-2006, 05:28 AM
I pronounce it tIE dus
i think thats ho wakka says it.
But i dunno...

S.ue.K
02-18-2006, 05:07 PM
Tee-dus? Sounds....not right. But still, this is new to me. At least I'll know how to pronounce his next time I play FFX.

DeathKnight
02-18-2006, 07:01 PM
Teedus! dammit!

since I bought the game(same day it came out by the way) I pronounced it TEEDUS!:choc2:

Carl the Llama
02-21-2006, 06:22 AM
the reason the Japs pronounce it Teeda is because Japanese is a fixed language and as such A is pronounced ah as in father, E is pronounced like a in may but without the final y, I is pronounced like e in the word keep but short and crisp, O is pronounced like the o in go but cut off sharply and U is pronounced like the u in put but spoken with a rounding of the lips sort of like oo. so that is why it has a tee instead of a ty oh and one more thing... UP THE TYDUS!!!!!

Crehan89
03-06-2006, 02:52 PM
for me now and it always will be tie-dus! I just go of how it looks 'Tidus'

Final_Fantasy_Freak
03-14-2006, 12:26 AM
I just saw an interview with the actor playing Tidus...he called him "Tee-dus"...

But I think "Ty-dus" sounds better.

Jsb01
03-14-2006, 12:28 AM
I always said "Tie-dus"

Chocobo Knight
03-25-2006, 05:25 AM
how can you call him tie-dus?? i mean, **obsessed_wif_yuna** said Aussies call him that....well, excuse me, but i am TRUE-BLUE full-blooded as-aussie-as-you-can-be, and i call him TEE-dus.....its a total cas of pronunciation and letter enphasis, and in Kingdom Hearts Wakka says TEE-DUS.
My adopted sis says its TIDE-us.....as in, like, the tide, the watery thingy....but come on, how can most of you think almost exactly the same thing!?:confused: it makes no sense!!!!!
My family and i (except for Ms. Adopted ) all say Tee-dus....it sounds cooler....so :p :p :p :p :shoot: :p
yeah.....
so there :kaofight:
:kaocheer: :kaocheer: GO ME!!!! WOOT!!! :kaocheer: :kaocheer:

ehsteve
03-25-2006, 05:56 AM
I called him TEE-dis even before I knew that it was correct. It just sounded better. However, there are some FF names (CEE-sil and TIH-fuh to name a few) that I knowingly mispronounce, just because I like the sound of them better than CEH-sil and TEE-fuh.

DeathKnight
03-25-2006, 10:24 AM
how can you call him tie-dus?? i mean, **obsessed_wif_yuna** said Aussies call him that....well, excuse me, but i am TRUE-BLUE full-blooded as-aussie-as-you-can-be, and i call him TEE-dus.....its a total cas of pronunciation and letter enphasis, and in Kingdom Hearts Wakka says TEE-DUS.
My adopted sis says its TIDE-us.....as in, like, the tide, the watery thingy....but come on, how can most of you think almost exactly the same thing!?:confused: it makes no sense!!!!!
My family and i (except for Ms. Adopted ) all say Tee-dus....it sounds cooler....so :p :p :p :p :shoot: :p
yeah.....
so there :kaofight:
:kaocheer: :kaocheer: GO ME!!!! WOOT!!! :kaocheer: :kaocheer:

Heh:upsidedow :up:

Final_Fantasy_Freak
03-28-2006, 04:01 AM
It's really Tee-dus...but I like Tie-dus!

FallenAngel411
03-28-2006, 05:09 AM
I know its "Teedus" but I always prounounce it wrong. Bad habit. Anyway, the other way sounds better....it's reminiscent of a tide, and the whole game revolves around water, so it make more symbolic sense as well.

KH-Cloudy
03-28-2006, 05:11 AM
TEE-DuS in kingdom hearts :)

Zeromus_X
03-28-2006, 05:15 AM
I used to say 'Tie-dus', but now I just say 'Tida', correct name and what-not. (See 'Tina', 'Aerith', etc.) It got weird getting used to switching usage though. :cat:

But why'd they pick 'Tidus' anyway? Too many other characters with four letter names? :p

Avathar
03-29-2006, 06:19 PM
I once found out that it's officially pronounced Tee-dus (well, officially, originally, in Japan).

But i always called him Tie-dus.....it just sounded more natural and better to me:D much better!

Yliette
04-07-2006, 09:25 AM
Tidus's Japanese name is pronounced "Tii-da" so chances are it is Tee-duss.

But in Kingdom Hearts 2, Selphie referred to him as "Tie-dus" to further culminate the confusion.

Foxfire Mage
04-08-2006, 01:30 PM
i say "tee-dus", following kingdom hearts cause it was kinda made by the same ppl.

it was said once, but one of the aurochs said in the text when repairing kilika, but that just depends on how you name tidus

*~Angel Wing~*
04-09-2006, 02:45 AM
My sister and I have always said "Tee-dus" and it's so ingrained into our heads that we can't ever pronounce it any other way. And it's difficult to know which one is right cuz as other people have previously said, in KH1 Wakka pronounces it as "Tee-dus" and then in KH2 Selphie pronounces it as "Tie-dus" so I really don't know...:mad: I personally think that "Tee-dus" sounds WAY better. :D

DLLS
04-15-2006, 06:32 AM
Selphie in Kingdom Hearts II pronounced his name Tie-dus............... so maybe KH's Wakka pronounces it Tee-dus because of his accent :D ?

Fantasy Fan
04-15-2006, 01:20 PM
Hello. My sister and I once got in a debate about how Tidus's name is pronounced. I had 2 bits of proof that it was "Teedus":

1. The preview that came with FF: SW said; "A young boy named Tidus (Tee-dus) ..."

2. In Kingdom Hearts, Waka (sp?) said; "Me an' Tidus (Tee-dus) ..."

My sister (And her group of friends) proof was: "In Final Fantasy X they said it that way!" They never told me when his name was muttered in FFX. :(

So, how is his name pronounced? I am making this a poll, too, so I can show my sister the numbers. :cool:Well I've always said Tie-dus, but now that you mention it I think it is Tee-dus, like the Japanese vowels: á, é, í, ó, ú. So Tee-dus is correct. Thanks for that, but I think I'll still say Tie-dus ;)

Lindblumbesaid
04-15-2006, 01:45 PM
It's Tiedus on english and Tee-dus on other language*
:choc:
Seriously!!!!:mad:

*Damn*

purplepenguin
04-16-2006, 03:44 PM
When I played kingdom of hearts as soon as I heard tee-dus. Me and my brother burst out laughing. That sounds ridiculous!

DeathKnight
04-16-2006, 04:14 PM
:choc:
Seriously!!!!:mad:

*Damn*

not really.

With the word "fish" you say feesh, you don't say faish:irked: :irked: :irked:

english is a MESSED UP language I tell you.

TheBrent
04-16-2006, 04:36 PM
I pronounce it ti-dus, but I usually pronounce things phoneticly. =D

cloud20747
04-16-2006, 04:50 PM
Tomato Tomoto. I pronouce it Tee-dus but hey if u pronouce it Tie-dus I still know who ur talking about so lets just end this non-sense

Yojimbo33
04-17-2006, 04:32 PM
To me it is pronounced tie dus

~SapphireStar~
04-17-2006, 06:27 PM
Well Im English and say Tee-dus. It doesnt matter where your from and how you say it, everyones different.

Lindblumbesaid
04-17-2006, 08:33 PM
Dude whatever call it whatever you want:tongue:

I Don't Need A Name
04-17-2006, 08:56 PM
i caled him Tie-dus, but played KH and called him Tee-dus from then on

4evarisha
04-18-2006, 12:10 AM
So which 1 is it.

mega_tonberry
04-18-2006, 12:19 AM
How about we all just call him Bob.

*iloveme06*
04-18-2006, 01:38 AM

I'd have to agree with mega_tonberry on that one. . .lol. I don't know, not everyone pronounces it the same way. (Depending on the country, or state. . .I know we say things different here in Texas, than someone might say in New York, or Idaho. . .or whatever.)

Lulu of Besaid
04-18-2006, 05:24 AM
I pronounce it Tie-dus.

Leen-Leen
04-18-2006, 01:31 PM
It's Tee-dus but i like the sound of tie-dus better ...

Kyri
04-19-2006, 01:56 AM
I always pronounced it tie-dus. Tee-dus sounds uglies =P

Yliette
04-21-2006, 10:49 AM
Just why were we granted to rename him? Didn't the scriptwriters have a hellacious time not having to mention his name once?

And isn't it unrealistic to have gotten to know for years someone without even knowing his name? Tidus never introduced himself like "Hi! Name's Tidus! Nice to meet 'ya!" :p

I read it as Tie-dus at first but then I came upon the September 2001 issue of Electronic Gaming Monthly [EGM] and they stated that it's Tee-duss. So Tee-duss from then on. 'Sides, Wakka from Kingdom Hearts says so too!

4evarisha
04-21-2006, 07:38 PM
Why would we call him Bob??:confused:

Night_Blade
04-21-2006, 10:27 PM
its tie-dus. kind of obvious. tee-dus sounds dodgy

FadedDreams
04-30-2006, 05:46 PM
wtf is yur peoples problems??? in the square enix website itself the say tidus, even on the commercials!!!! i have proof if u have to b smart about it so ha! :D they say it that way in kh too, same spellin, same pronounciation!!!

Nifleheim7
05-04-2006, 05:42 PM
Tie-dus.

chaos_ghost
05-06-2006, 08:45 PM
I say Tee-dus, but it really doesn't matter which way you say it.

Sjorn
05-06-2006, 09:23 PM
It's Tee-dus, the guy who played him even said it when he did an interview.

tidus_rox
05-07-2006, 09:27 PM
Even I fi get all the proof in the world that it is pronouced TEE DUSS i will stay loyal to my pronucisation and say tie dus.

Malboro_Menace
05-08-2006, 08:31 AM
Well I believe that it's Tie-dus. It just seems more natural for me and all my friends who play pronounce it like that.

I'm also Australian and until you've met every single Australian who has played FFX you can't say that Aussies mainly pronounce it Tie-dus or Tee-dus.

Also may I just add, just because James Arnold Taylor pronounced it Tee-dus doesn't mean that it IS Tee-dus.

Fatal Impurity
05-08-2006, 08:45 AM
well in kingdom hearts selphie talks about wakka and tidus and says the tee-dus variaty but personaly i prefer tie-dus it just seems more natural and i just dont CARE what it was MEANT to be....because we all prenounce things our own way :D ;)

Carl the Llama
05-08-2006, 11:32 AM
Tydus FTW

BlackWaltz
05-08-2006, 04:57 PM
if always thought it was tie-dus? because of whole role that water plays in the world they are in an hes got a water swords etc i think of the word 'tide' when i say his name, anyone same?

PontiusPilate
05-09-2006, 12:07 AM
This Thread is incredibly stupid. This shouldnt even be an arguement. I play Kingdom hearts II. They SAY his name. I don't care what you say or think it is. Kingdom hearts was made by Square and Kingdom Hearts is right. Your wrong. Get over it

Azure Chrysanthemum
05-09-2006, 12:12 AM
PontiusPilate, do not go around calling threads stupid. If you feel a thread is stupid, don't post in it and definitely don't post to say that it is stupid.

And also, for the record, in Kingdom Hearts I they pronounce it differently than in Kingdom Hearts II, hence the crux of the argument.

PontiusPilate
05-09-2006, 12:51 AM
we should look at KH II because its more recent, hence them fixing there own mistake in pronunciation. If the pronunciation in KH I was right the first time they wouldnt have bothered to change it in KH II. And as for saying a thread is stupid, i saw elder more expierenced users say it all the time so i thought it was alright. My bad for following their bad example

crono_logical
05-09-2006, 01:50 AM
Is it pronounced different between the KH1/KH2 English, or KH1/KH2 JP? Or even between languages of the same game? :p

PontiusPilate
05-09-2006, 02:45 AM
No clue about the JP versions but all my statements are refering to english since that is the language i speak

Quindiana Jones
05-09-2006, 04:41 PM
Every language has different ways of saying things. Tomayto tomahto.

I use Tidus. Tie-dy your room. Tie-des of water. Tie-gers are dangerous etc.

Heero Yuy NWZC
05-09-2006, 04:52 PM
I have no idea why this is still going. :D

Fantasy_Dragon
05-10-2006, 12:05 AM
Well, in Kingdom Hearts, Wakka said teedus. In Kingdom Hearts II, Selphie said tiedus. Like someone said above, it's just a tomayto tomahto thing, I guess.

PontiusPilate
05-10-2006, 12:34 AM
I have no idea why this is still going. :D
Totally agree with you.

I guess its what u want to say that matters. I really dont know how to put it so people dont get pissed at me, but oh well, suck it up.

I am about to state facts, NOT opinions

Fact: *KH II is a sequel to KH I.Thus KH II went back through KH I and improved everything they thought was a problem (improvement in battle system etc.).
*Wakka has an accent which may slur some words. Regardless KH II said it right since it is more recent.
*Kingdom hearts II was made by the people who made Final Fantasy. They are right.

Please do not complain to me that im trolling or whatever you call it. They said it right in KH II, i have proven it to be a fact

If I could chose what to call it though, I'd call it Tie-dus, because i thought it would be pronunced like the "I" in the word Titan

Carl the Llama
05-12-2006, 09:20 PM
I didnt even know KHII was out lol

Venom
05-12-2006, 09:24 PM
I believe its prounonced Tie-Dus because its a Roman name.

I think.

PontiusPilate
05-12-2006, 09:55 PM
I didnt even know KHII was out lol

It's out and its the best game ive ever played

Materia Hunter Yuffie
05-16-2006, 04:39 AM
It's correctly pronounced as Tee-dus, as said in Kingdom Hearts. But most North American gamers, such as myself prounounce it as Ty-dus.

PontiusPilate
05-17-2006, 12:46 AM
It's correctly pronounced as Tee-dus, as said in Kingdom Hearts. But most North American gamers, such as myself prounounce it as Ty-dus.

No, it's pronunced correctly in KH II since it is more current

Chris
05-17-2006, 01:21 AM
"Tee-dus" for me. That sounds more acceptable to me. I hate his name. :(

cid highwind
05-17-2006, 07:25 PM
i think tie-dus is right

!!!I AM MEGA-DINGO!!!
05-18-2006, 05:46 AM
i reckon its tii-dus because if any1 has seen the show "titus"? because it seems the same concept i mean

(shut up just because i cant spell)

obsessed_wif_yuna
05-25-2006, 08:47 AM
I say Tie-Dus since that's what I thought it was at first, but lots of sources say it's actually Tee-Dus

i got da special edition with the bonus disc with interveiws and all and it because the voices are american people, they say it tee-dus..its sorta lyk someone saying tomayto and someone saying tomarto....

LOLZ

i call him tie-dus n so duz mah sista

~Megalixir~
06-01-2006, 07:02 PM
Its Tie-dus i dont give a crap what you say because in the game thats uuh, kinda how they said it (and who cares about KH, KH2, etc. :/)

~SapphireStar~
06-01-2006, 07:07 PM
Its Tie-dus i dont give a crap what you say because in the game thats uuh, kinda how they said it (and who cares about KH, KH2, etc. :/)
His name isn't spoken once in the whole game. The only time his name is mentioned is on the special disk and the actors pronuced it as Tee-dus.

~Megalixir~
06-01-2006, 07:23 PM
His name isn't spoken once in the whole game. The only time his name is mentioned is on the special disk and the actors pronuced it as Tee-dus.

Ok then, I dont have the special disc, and I dont care anyhow.

(I had this same argument for Tifa (its Tee-fa, BTW))