PDA

View Full Version : Square-Enix and non-RPG titles

Mikeneko Rocker -- Tim
12-24-2005, 02:35 PM
As everybody knows by now, the company's forte is RPG.

However, in the past (the 1990's, to be exact) then-Square was involved in Ehrgeiz, which, as we know of, is in the ranks of Tekken and Rival Schools (fighting games). And given the fact that it was released after VII, it gave a sense of familiarity--and comfort-- to (some) members the RPG community.

In addition, Parasite Eve was known during the same time period, being the M-rated game that then-Square had at the time, as some would go compare it to Resident Evil and Silent Hill (no, not the DDR song by Thomas Howard; but Konami's entry into the Survival/Horror genre).

As for then-Enix, Bust-A-Groove 2 (since the 1st game was brought into the US by now-defunct 989 Studios :eep: ) was a good concept to begin with; however, the majority-- the mainstream-- have concluded that Konami's BEMANI brand (namely, Dance Dance Revolution series) have thoroughly outclassed both installments in regards to music and recognition (even though Enix got songs from Avex, which, by the way, the record label of Koda Kumi, the now-disbanded Do As Infinity, and Ayumi Hamasaki).

Also, there's an old proverb that goes like:

Overdependence on your strength would mean that your opponent knows what to expect from you and learn it to its advantage.

Is there anything else I missed? Please feel more than free to tell me more and I'd like to hear your input.

kikimm
12-24-2005, 08:40 PM
If they never branched any farther at all, and just kept making the stuff they already are, that'd be cool with me. But I would like to see more non-RPG titles from them, yes. Mostly just because I don't RPGs all that much, though, so selfish reasons. ;D

RaidenWeb17
12-24-2005, 08:46 PM
Square should do what they do right: RPGs

blackmage_nuke
12-25-2005, 05:48 AM
Square should keep making RPG's and non rpg sequals (and prequals) from their current RPG games, some more movies would be cool too.

Ouch!
12-25-2005, 06:06 AM
RPGs are definitely my favorite type of video game, but I'm looking forward to Dirge of Cerberus. I'd like to see more stuff like that. That is, of course, assuming that DoC turns out to be as good as I'm hoping. My expectations aren't that high to begin with, so it probably will be.

zellv2
12-27-2005, 04:58 PM
rpgs if they changed they might lose fans ^_^