PDA

View Full Version : Battle System

Kamiko
12-25-2005, 10:27 PM
I worry. The whole shooting light thing (for when you pick someone to attack or heal) is a bit odd, although I guess it's good that you get to see which person the monster picked to attack before hand. and I don't like having to change characters for every move. The Gambit system is interesting but I don't know if I really like it, I suppose it's designed to keep gameplay following
Ho hum.
I guess it's alright. Graphics are disturbingly similar to FFX which is okay.
In other news, the monsters look interesting.
What do you all think?

DvK
12-26-2005, 02:12 PM
Yea well so far i think the graphics are very well done but i cant really say everythign is good about the game yet since i havent played the whole thing but the demo and the trailers are quite good

Suikojowy
12-26-2005, 08:39 PM
I was really hoping they'd continue using the FFX battle system, but alas.

Anyway, I heard all the characters would be pretty versatile and customizable, is this true or will they have certain abilities/weapons/roles?

Ultima_Weapon
12-26-2005, 11:40 PM
I was really hoping they'd continue using the FFX battle system, but alas.

Anyway, I heard all the characters would be pretty versatile and customizable, is this true or will they have certain abilities/weapons/roles?

Well theres always other RPG's you can go with but either go for FF12 for now or wait till the next FF game for PS3... each characters have different weapons with abilities and of course roles to begin with.

Kamiko
12-26-2005, 11:40 PM
They said something about Tactics things being used but I don't really know...

Sain Cai
12-27-2005, 12:29 AM
From what I saw, it looks like the Knights of the Old Republic battle system. Although I like FFX's best, I have no prob with this one (If it is the same)

Suikojowy
12-27-2005, 12:34 AM
Well theres always other RPG's you can go with but either go for FF12 for now or wait till the next FF game for PS3... each characters have different weapons with abilities and of course roles to begin with.

I'll still be playing FF12, regardless of the battle system. I just wanted them to keep the ff10 one =(

SiberianKiss
12-27-2005, 07:01 AM
Went to GameStop for the first time in ages earlier tonight, and they had the playable demo that came with Dragon Quest VIII. I only tinkered with it for a few minutes, but from what I've picked up....I have mixed emotions about the battle system. I've never played an MMORPG before (and have no desire to, either), so I was very confused by how I was supposed to go about the battles. After a few seconds of fighting some fish creature, I got the hang of it....sort of. It's different, I'll give it that. For being different, I give it praise. However, I did find it frustrating to play a Final Fantasy title that I wasn't immediately able to pick up and use without very many problems. So I guess it just takes getting used to. But from what I hear, the battles are identical to most MMORPG's, so if you play those, then feel at home, I guess. :choc:

Miriel
12-27-2005, 08:38 PM
I thought the shooting light thing was a bit weird too. Like a big ol' sign saying, "HEY LOOK HERE, THIS IS WHERE YOUR TARGET IS! --->>"

A bit unnecessary I think.

Ouch!
12-27-2005, 08:49 PM
When I watched trailers and such with battles in them, I always thought the flashing arrows were a bit distracting, but when I got the demo today with DQVIII, I found that they didn't bother me at all.

I found myself becoming annoyed with it stopping every time I opened the menu in the first part of the demo, but when I played the second part everything was so much smoother. I play FFXI, so the battle system was relatively easy for me to pick up. I'm more than satisfied with the new battle system.

zellv2
12-27-2005, 09:25 PM
its not all that bad the battle system they need a change from normal ones to experiment more

kawakami Gensai
01-01-2006, 06:33 AM
I thought the demo was entertaining, but the actual game could be a little different.

Slothy
01-01-2006, 02:33 PM
I loved the battle system myself. It's a very nice and refreshing change from the ATB and turn based systems of previous games. Some people may say they prefer the older systems, but after so many games (both Final Fantasy and other RPG's) using them, I'm pretty sick of them. I didn't find this game too hard to get used to either. I'm sure the actual game will ease you into it a little more in the beginning as they do in all FF's, but I found it pretty easy to pick up. The only thing I would have liked a little more is if they used the right stick for menu selection during battle so you wouldn't have to just stand there. I can always just use wait mode to avoid leaving myself open though.

Dignified Pauper
01-01-2006, 09:48 PM
I imagine that in the release there will be an option in the config menu to turn off the target lines.

Kamiko
01-01-2006, 11:54 PM
I hope so.

Relena
01-02-2006, 06:55 PM
http://www.fantasysquare.com/ff12/battlesystem.asp
Info on the battle system. Hope it helps.

Gnostic Yevon
01-03-2006, 01:20 AM
I liked the demo. I think wait mode and no gambits is probably the funnest way to play it. The only trouble is that the target system will occasionally pick up monsters that are above or below you and you can't fight them. But even then you can just flee.

Rogue
01-03-2006, 02:43 AM
the way they did for the ff12 battle style is very uniquie i like how they did its cool make it more like ff11 and the characters on the demo are nothing like the characters in the game i heard it will be like there is going two parts when u start new game there will be a a character custible new game or a normel character them having there own abilites and such like ff9 new game