PDA

View Full Version : Noob friendly

SoulTaker*
12-26-2005, 01:14 PM
Alright since XII probably wont come out till August, I've decide to try out XI, I'm familar with what playing an online game entails, I have read the background info on the classes, nations, what not, I know the price point, and I know what "online" means, but i wanna know if this game is noobie friendly, this would be my first real MMORPG, I have played R.O.S.E online on the internet but Im sure FFXI is way more massive and different, so what seperates this game from the other MMO's out their like WarCraft and Everquest I know this is a Final Fantasy forum but Unbiased and "friendly" opinions would be appreciated.

Lionx
12-26-2005, 02:02 PM
Well there are a few things that seperate them, but how hugely different they are from another MMO is dependant upon the person because some view differences differently XD;

-Cutscenes: In FFXI, certain Missions(quests that drive storyline) and Quests(Side-quest) have cutscenes. So far this is revolutionary and is not in any other MMO to date as of this time.

-Job Change: Sure you cant change your race, but you can easily change your job in your Mog House. Many MMOs require you to make another character or reset your level of your current class, not the case in FFXI.

-Driving Story: Currently, the game offer Missions that pursue the storyline in FFXI. There is 3 different storylines following the 3 nations(especially after the rank 6 battle that explore the nations and lore more), Zilart missions (Expansion #1), and the COP or Chains of Promathia Missions(Expansion #2). No other MMO to my knowledge really follows story as close as this MMO. However some people feel the story is weak because it may be long drawn out(ie: need job lvled up or not ready for it yet). Cutscenes are very good, characters are memorable and have taste(even most npcs), and if you arent spoiled, some things can stun you. Unlike most MMOs, PvP is not the main focus or staying power for this game, a large portion is story and time with your LS(guild) friends.

-Team play: Yes you can party in other games, but in this game partying is everything. Only the Beastmaster job can solo all through the game(and i think its limited now with a recent patch), everyone else must party. If you dont like partying or have the time to do it, this game might not be for you. The things you do solo are quite limited compared to the things you need to do partying. If you are a lone wolf, stay away...NOW.

-Timesink: This isnt as new, however unlike WoW you need alot of time, patience, and gil to go forward in the game. You can fail a boss fight over 5 times and be extremely frustrated. However that means that every single achievement you get, is worth that much more. Like failing 5 times, then finally triumphantly beat it with your friends, is much more rewarding. However if you like more cheap instant gratification, you wont find much in FFXI. And no you cant expect to gain money by exping, you have to work for your money.

-Community: Yes theres always gonna be assholes, but so far i feel theres ALOT less assholes in this game than others. The higher level you go, the more the community seems apparent.

-N00bFriendly?: Yes, most people are very willing to help out a new player through the ropes, and give a few handouts to help you on your feet. Any questions and the LS will usually very readily help you out. At least on mine i feel. Theres always new jobs that needs to be leveled. And if you have a Gold World Pass and register it you can get level capped cap to wear, that you can party with your friend that invited you for all his jobs under 50. However the game itself doesnt show its true potential until you level up more and have good connections.

-Innovative Battle System: The actual hack&slash isnt innovative, however skillchains and magic bursts are and promote cooperation between party members.

Skillchain: You have a weapon that can use a special move(sorta like a limit move) everytime it reachs 100%TP by hitting the mob or getting hit. You coordinate with another melee and if you use the special weapon skill in the right order with the right timing along with the correct skill, you can create a Skillchain that has an elemental effect that does alot more damage than what you would without it. Magic Bursts allow any magic element that fits the skillchain to do more damage than usual making it extremely strong vs the monster. Less apparent in lower levels, but highly recommended if not required to do in higher levels where it can cleanly kill an enemy in under 15 seconds if done correctly and fast enough.

Crafting: Anyone can do it, its not limited to certain classes like some other MMOs i played. Interactive fishing is fun too ^^

Crossplatform: We play with PS2, PC, and Xbox360(future) players on same server. Also play with Japanese players as well who use same servers. We communicate with a built in auto-translate function or we can use romaji.

and lastly, Mandragoras are the best! <3 Pa!

SoulTaker*
12-26-2005, 03:17 PM
Thats interesting how you can exchange dialogue with a person from Japan, do you recommend playing with the PS2 or PC, thanks for the info btw, honestly I dont know why anyone would play a MMORPG if they werent gonna party, so Im glad its so important for this game.

Yeargdribble
12-26-2005, 04:55 PM
I'd suggest PC. Only the old style PS2s support the needed components to run the game. It has been mentioned that at some point in the future they will adjust the PC version so that it can run in a manner similar to the XBox360 version for those that a computer that can do such (better graphics... longer drawdistances). Even now the PC has noticably better graphics than the PS2 version.

Also windowing programs and programs to take screenshots like Fraps make PC realliy the only choice.

Markus. D
12-27-2005, 04:28 AM
N00b = Person who thinks he/she is all that, thinks he has mastered game, gillsellers, buys from them, Ridicules others... etc...

i think Newbie friendly is the word you are looking for.

and no... me as a newbie... I find this game really limiting.... maybey when im lvl 30 it till become better....

Miriel
12-27-2005, 08:33 PM
Tsukasa buddy, you haven't even scratched the surface of this game. I would tell you that it's going to get better, but for me, the first 30 levels were amazingly fun, and as you level up the grind to the next level becomes more and more tedius. Have you tried looking into all the quests, and missions available to you at your level? Another thing that'll vastly improve your time in Vanadiel is a wonderful linkshell. Level 1 death runs, and Secret Santa exchanges will be some of the greatest things you'll experience in the game.

SoulTaker* I promise you that the game will be newbie friendly, if you come and join my server, Pandemonium. There are some really great, friendly people on the server who will be glad to take you under their wing. Send me a PM if you want a worldpass, and I can set you up with a linkshell and everything.

Rostum
12-27-2005, 09:53 PM
Yes, I'm finally level 72 and I'm only really just starting to get to the half way mark. If that. So much to do... So much to experience...

Lionx
12-28-2005, 12:01 AM
No man, Midgard is where its at D: Miriel eats your babies.

Yeargdribble
12-28-2005, 05:44 AM
I'd definately say the game has barely even begun to begin until you have a job at 75. After that things change a lot. You really have the means to do a lot of things. Crafting is much easier when you have a 75 job to help you earn enough to invest in crafts. You can level other jobs with full knowledge of how they work and what gear to use. You can afford the gear much more easily. You can run around and do countless quests without as much worry about your safety.

Anyway... you truly don't begin until you are at the end of the game.

Markus. D
12-30-2005, 08:41 AM
Tsukasa buddy, you haven't even scratched the surface of this game. I would tell you that it's going to get better, but for me, the first 30 levels were amazingly fun, and as you level up the grind to the next level becomes more and more tedius. Have you tried looking into all the quests, and missions available to you at your level? Another thing that'll vastly improve your time in Vanadiel is a wonderful linkshell. Level 1 death runs, and Secret Santa exchanges will be some of the greatest things you'll experience in the game.

SoulTaker* I promise you that the game will be newbie friendly, if you come and join my server, Pandemonium. There are some really great, friendly people on the server who will be glad to take you under their wing. Send me a PM if you want a worldpass, and I can set you up with a linkshell and everything.

mkay, im lvl 25 now so... yeah, i take what i said back, veeeery back.... so baaaaack :love:

Lionx
12-30-2005, 02:26 PM
I have to say that i havent been in an awesome party in a while..and getting like 16-17K exp in around 3 hours with only 11.5K left to the next level really makes you feel cool...o_o