PDA

View Full Version : Which is the best introduction to RPG-ing?

TheSpoonyBard
12-29-2005, 04:59 PM
My fiancée has just bought a PS2 and I want to introduce her to RPGs/Final Fantasy. The only problem is she's rather sceptical and isn't too keen on trying them. Hopefully I'll to prove her wrong.

I want to introduce her to the RPG experience slowly, and was wondering which would make the best first impression?

I have:

FFVI
FFVII
FFVIII
FFIX
FFX
FFX-2
Alundra (The Adventures Of)
Breath Of Fire: Dragon Quarter
Ephemeral Fantasia
Grandia II
Star Ocean: Till The End Of Time

Any ideas?

Tempest
12-29-2005, 05:10 PM
I'd start her out with FFVI. It's a pretty easy RPG to get into plus it has a great story.

Suikojowy
12-29-2005, 05:56 PM
A final fantasy would be the best choice for a starter rpg.

However I wouldn't go with....

VIII: Junction system might be too confusing
X: the levelling system is different to more traditional rpgs, so it might not be the way to go.
X-2: It helps to have played X first

Crossblades
12-29-2005, 06:12 PM
I'd start her out with FFVI. It's a pretty easy RPG to get into plus it has a great story.

Also, get FF I, II, and IV

KoShiatar
12-29-2005, 08:52 PM
VI is great, but the Playstation version has those horrible loading times...

TheSpoonyBard
12-29-2005, 10:00 PM
Okay, I'll try FFVI or FFX. Hopefully the graphics and novelty of VA in FFX will impress long enough for the story to take hold. I think the 'old skool' sprites of FFVI may be slightly off-putting considering she's experiencing PS2 graphics for the first time.

RaidenWeb17
12-29-2005, 10:47 PM
Yeah, go with FFX

raskerino
12-29-2005, 11:45 PM
FFX seems like the best choice, the sphere grid is very easy to get used to as long as you give a decent and less dull explanation then the game does.

When I wanted to get my best friend started I lent him FFVIII, as my fave just because I personally loved it. He had no problem with the junction system and it's probably his favorite game, though it probably wasn't a good choice to start him with because it's more of a love or hate game then other FFs. Second I lent him FFX which would have been better to start for most which he also loved. Another friend who's much more of an action game player (not the type to approach a storyline with a 10-foot pole) played FFX and also loved it. One thing that has helped with everyone I've tried to get interested though is enthusiasm, and being positive about everything towards it.