PDA

View Full Version : Alternatives to Norton Internet Security

BackRoomKid
12-29-2005, 10:56 PM
Okay, I've been using Norton for a year now. It's OKAY but man does it slow a lot of my stuff down. The only thing that i really LOVE about Norton Internet Security is it's Spam blocker. It blocks SO MANY web page advertisements and pop ups, it's a miracle.

However, I don't think I really need Norton flew blown Internet Security. My subscription is out and really I don't want to renew it. I have the basic tools like Ad-aware, Spybot, CCleaner, just to keep my computer spam/spyware/adware/junk free. BUT, what I need to know is:

Who has found an awesome internet ad blocker like Norton?

I want to uninstall my Norton, it's constant "RENEW YOUR SUBSCRIPTION" is getting on my nerves but I love it's spam/ad blocking.

Any of you can help me that would be EXTRA-ORDINARY of you.

rubah
12-29-2005, 11:20 PM
I use firefox's Adblock extension for my adblocking.

And I use AVG free for antivirus.

I dont' think I had adaware and spybot reinstalled after I reformatted a month and a half ago. And I haven't needed them yet.

crono_logical
12-30-2005, 08:59 PM
Yeah, the firefox adblock extension is far better than other adblock stuff for Internet Explorer, especially with how much you can customise it :p Pop-up blocking also comes built in the browser :p

Rainecloud
12-30-2005, 11:12 PM
Firefox, AVG, Zonealarm, Spybot, Adaware and Safeclean Utilities should do the job.

They've kept my PC safe and sound for the last few years, anyhow.

BackRoomKid
12-31-2005, 12:39 AM
I have already:

Firefox
Spybot
Ad-Aware
CCleaner

What I don't have:

Zonealarm
Safeclean Utilities
AVG (had it once, but got rid of it when I installed Norton)

Just uninstalled Norton, I'm liberated :D Anyways, got the ad-blocking extention, just learning about it now. Things are pretty sound, darn ad-banners though.

Yrkoon
01-06-2006, 09:18 PM
black ice is a sweet firewall i remember reading some where that the army uses it :P www.iss.net