PDA

View Full Version : Cinemas

Rye
12-30-2005, 02:15 AM
When you see certain age groups at the cinema seeing the same people you're seeing, does it worry you? What type of things annoy you when you're at the cinema? Any cinema stories?

So, I went to see Memoirs of a Geisha today (excellent movie, by the way) and when we go on, the room I was in was filled with old people! I think I was the only person under 30 in the room besides one other girl around my age. Everyone else looked about 50-70. This worried me a bit. But at least there were no little kids running around, screaming, with blinkie shoes. I guess no Mom would want to bring their young child to a movie about geishas. Yessss. :)

The only thing that really bugs me are dumb teenagers screaming through the movie if there are other people besides themselves in the cinema, and little kids running around with terrible manners, and their parents not doing anything. I also dislike the serial shushers, because they scare me. The serial shushers are the people who scream "SSSSSSH!!!" if you make even the slightest noise. Those two groups are the two extremes of the cinema viewers. I find there is a spectrum.

[Serial Shushers]--------[Normal Viewers]---------[Annoying Talkers/Cell Phone Users/Annoying Children]

When I went to see Batman Begins a few months ago, there was the guy in there who looked and acted like the real life version of the Comic Book Guy from the Simpsons. (http://www.simpsonsweb.com/img-news/196.jpg) He was part serial shusher, but mostly unleashed nerd fury. He was quite loud and obnoxious before the movie. When the movie started, he was quiet though. Some kid was making noise, and then he turns around and yells "CALM YOURSELF! RELAX! BE QUIET AND ENJOY THE MOVIE!!!" and the Mom is so shocked she didn't even say anything. He was scary. :(

This was entirely too long. :p

ffxfreak93
12-30-2005, 02:18 AM
i hate serial shushers too

SummonerYuna
12-30-2005, 02:19 AM
There are many people with weird hair cuts. lol!!

ffxfreak93
12-30-2005, 02:20 AM
and little kids are annoying!!especially my 2 year old sister!!!

Suikojowy
12-30-2005, 02:22 AM
I don't bother going to cinemas anymore, I just wait until one of my friends buys the movie on a pirated dvd (because i'm cheap and paranoid) and watch it at their house.

Serial Shushers and Annoying Townies are the worst.
Bloody chavs

Shauna
12-30-2005, 02:40 AM
Oh! There was this time, me and some of my friends were at the cinema seeing Lord of the Rings: Whatever it was. And we were sitting near the back, chatting as we'd already seen the movie at least once. And, there was this old lady sitting in front of us, she kept glaring at us for talking. We were particularly loud at one point, she turned around and said 'Some of us are trying to watch the movie!'. I swear, I was close to hysterics. Me and my friend purposely made more noise, loud choking noises, and when she looked at us, we turned around and shook our head at the people in the row behind us. It was the best time I've had in the cinema, ever. But, maybe it was a 'You had to be there' moment?

But, anyway, the people like that lady in my tale, they're the most annoying, but the funniest to be around.

Rye is dirty!

Rusty
12-30-2005, 02:41 AM
I have yet to encounter a serial shusher. Tall people who sit directly in front of me when there are so many other seats around that they could sit on. Then they block my veiw - that's annoying. Why do they pick the shortest person to sit in front of? Oh and those thirteen year old teenagers in the cinema who can't be quiet to save their life throughout the movie. Trying to be cool by making lots of noise.

But then, I throw popcorn at people. Also, I can be just as annoying with friends when we decide to laugh at all the sad bits in a movie. But that happens rarely. Extreme boredom.

Old people annoy me full stop. You could sneeze and they'd give you the evils like you were playing a trumpet in their ear.

SammieBabe
12-30-2005, 04:11 AM
We have this one theater here in Tampa that has an area that's 21 and up only. You play three dollars more for a ticket but, you get free popcorn, bigger, more comfortable seats and they'll serve you alcohol. I don't like going to any other theaters anymore. I actually got to see Harry Potter the first night it came out with so sugared up 10 year olds. It was great. :D

Cloud_omnislash_Strife
12-30-2005, 04:29 AM
luckily where I am there are not to many people in the cinemas.

Buddhist Monkey
12-30-2005, 04:34 AM
Uck. I work at a fucking movie theater. You name them, I've seen them... And I hate all of 'em.

We had a lot of annoying teens in Exorcism of Emily Rose... So bad, that I got to sit in the theater in a flash light, and every time someone got annoying... I shined the light on them and told 'em to shut up.

I'm also notorious for getting kids kicked out -- I can't stand people ruining movies.

Freya
12-30-2005, 04:42 AM
Me and my siblings went to see Chronicles of Narnia and we were like commenting on how it was so much like WoW and we were being quiet about it with whispers so we weren't loud. And Being as it was a semi kids movie the annoying kids with blinking shoes were there. See we were nice and were quiet about our comments yet other people were like "OH my gosh look at that lion it's so big!!!!" The whole movie. I mean we could have been shouting our comments, "Look flightpath." Or "Oh her range must not be far enough." or "Oh look Tauren!"

Grr i hate LOUD commenters and annoying blinking lights.

-N-
12-30-2005, 04:43 AM
When you see certain age groups at the cinema seeing the same people you're seeing, does it worry you?I don't go to the cinemas to see people, but whatever floats your boat.

Shlup
12-30-2005, 04:54 AM
The first time I went to see Napolean Dynamite there was a group of teenagers behind us just being so obnoxious I could not believe it. I wanted to drag them out by their ears. They got kicked out though.

And when we went to see the midnight showing of Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King there was a woman behind us who just kept asking stupid questions to her date. BJ turned around and glared at her but she did not shut up.

I hate annoying people at the movies. Anyone can go to the movies, I don't care how old or how ugly they are, as long as they shut the hell up. Unless it's a kiddie movie. If little kids talk during kiddie movies it doesn't bother me.

Kamiko
12-30-2005, 04:56 AM
I went to see Fun with Dick and Jane.
There were only old people there.
Which worried me frankly.

kikimm
12-30-2005, 05:15 AM
Yeah, when I went to see Memoirs of a Geisha the other day, I was the only kid in there too.

The only thing that annoys me is peope who talk a lot, or scream. I hate screamers.

Dreddz
12-30-2005, 11:55 AM
When people chatter during movies, they dont give a damn about anyone else and will talk as loud as they want, and when someone interrupts them, they feel like there the victim.........

Madame Adequate
12-30-2005, 12:00 PM
Serial shushers are about the only people in theaters who actually do anything productive about the morons. I like them. I want to be one, in fact.

Ok, so here's a funny anecdote: When my friends and I went to see Team America, it was about two weeks after the Tsunami in the Indian Ocean. Some idiot slattern behind us asks, having seen Panama being attacked, if the floating corpses in the water were "Meant to be that tsunami?".

Less irritated by the speaking, more dismayed by the sheer idiocy of that statement, I almost committed several acts of murder.

Screamers annoy me as well, but only because women in terror have the precise pitch necessary to be heard by male ears (Scientific fact, so don't go feminazi on me.). When you're within eight feet of a half-dozen teenaged girls, your ears get a hell of a pounding. =(

Mo-Nercy
12-30-2005, 12:03 PM
Whenever I go to watch a horror movie, there's ALWAYS some stupid chick who JUST HAS to effing scream a few seconds BEFORE anything scary actually happens. Yes, we can all see that the guy deciding to take a shortcut through the park at night is a very very bad idea but that doesn't mean you have to ruin the next scene by screaming your head off.

Even worse are the people who say "Oh crap, that guy's gonna die."

Rye
12-30-2005, 12:56 PM
Shauna lies! ;__________;

Serial shushers are about the only people in theaters who actually do anything productive about the morons. I like them. I want to be one, in fact.

orly? :(

And the old people at Memoirs were coughing in my ear too. Icky ;__;

Epiphany
12-30-2005, 01:04 PM
I hate it when people are immature during horror flicks that have nudity. I went to see Freddy Vs Jason, which sucked..horribly, and at every nudie scene there were a bunch of teenage guys in the front row screaming "WOOOOHOOO". I mean really. It's just stupid.

And then there are the people that sit behind you and do nothing but kick the back of your chair. Usually it's just little kids but during the same movie I got up and moved about 5 times due to grown people doing it.

I don't mind the serial shushers, because like MILF said, they're actually trying to do something about the annoying people that talk too loud.

Resha
12-30-2005, 01:32 PM
I think serial shushers are okay. People have no business talking anyways. :D

I really hate the people who think they can TALK ON THEIR GODDAMN CELLPHONES IN THE CINEMA HALL AND GET AWAY WITH IT. Like, the people around are so incredibly deaf/thick/engrossed in the movie that they can't notice, are they? :nonono:

I also dislike it when people SLURP THEIR DRINKS REALLY LOUDLY. DON'T SLURP YOUR DRINKS. IT AGGRAVATES ME! I have nerves! :(

I don't like it when people see me cry in the cinemas, too. Because I confess...I'm a serial crier. :D If you ever go to the movies with me, just pretend not to notice my blatantly obvious tears. Thanks.

Rye
12-30-2005, 01:41 PM
I think serial shushers are okay. People have no business talking anyways. :D

I really hate the people who think they can TALK ON THEIR GODDAMN CELLPHONES IN THE CINEMA HALL AND GET AWAY WITH IT. Like, the people around are so incredibly deaf/thick/engrossed in the movie that they can't notice, are they? :nonono:

I also dislike it when people SLURP THEIR DRINKS REALLY LOUDLY. DON'T SLURP YOUR DRINKS. IT AGGRAVATES ME! I have nerves! :(

I don't like it when people see me cry in the cinemas, too. Because I confess...I'm a serial crier. :D If you ever go to the movies with me, just pretend not to notice my blatantly obvious tears. Thanks.

I'm a serial crier too, but I don't sob or make noise crying or anything like that. I was crying a lot at Memoirs of a Geisha. xD AND THE SERIAL SLURPERS SUCK! :(

Shauna
12-30-2005, 02:03 PM
I tend not to cry at the cinema. Well, the occasional film might get tears flowing... but that's just occasionally.

Yeah, the people who sit and kick your chair are evil. Annoying screaming children are evil. Especially the ones that laugh for about 5 minutes at something that wasn't even funny. Actually, I just hate most people that go to the cinema!

Shaun
12-30-2005, 02:10 PM
I don't go to the cinema much. Chavs everywhere. Hardly worth it. They say 'it's the experience that counts', but when the experience is a bunch of chavs who are throwing popcorn and shouting random stuff around the place, I'd rather stick to piracy. When chavs die out - if they die out - I'll maybe go more often.

Shoden
12-30-2005, 03:00 PM
I just hate little kids screaming and running around after they've had sugary stuff.
Last time I went to the cinema was to see Star Wars Episode III, chav central, the started throwing stuff at me and my friend and I turned round and warned them, "If you do that again I'll rip your fucking lungs out!!", my mate just burst out laughing, I got 3 shushes and a compliment for it.

Setzer Gabianni
12-30-2005, 03:13 PM
I hate little children crying when I'm watching a certain movie. For example, at the end of the King Kong, I was crying. A little girl, 5 years old or something, was at the front crying. Made me feel old. Damn kids.

Oh! There was this time, me and some of my friends were at the cinema seeing Lord of the Rings: Whatever it was. And we were sitting near the back, chatting as we'd already seen the movie at least once. And, there was this old lady sitting in front of us, she kept glaring at us for talking. We were particularly loud at one point, she turned around and said 'Some of us are trying to watch the movie!'. I swear, I was close to hysterics. Me and my friend purposely made more noise, loud choking noises, and when she looked at us, we turned around and shook our head at the people in the row behind us. It was the best time I've had in the cinema, ever. But, maybe it was a 'You had to be there' moment?

You didn't have to be rude - I'd have turned round and had a go at you myself. Noise disturbance = me getting pissed off XD

Dreddz
12-30-2005, 04:14 PM
Annoying Townies are the worst.
Bloody chavs
So are you saying that " chavs " usually cause the most annoyance or you just blame them for everything...

Madame Adequate
12-30-2005, 04:23 PM
orly? :(

Yes, really.

Dreddz: I've never been annoyed at the movies by anybody not a chav, or the American equivalent thereof. Goths don't annoy, at least not during the movie itself. Old people are very nice and quiet unless they're hacking up lungs. Hell, even kids shut up during the film itself, and I'm not about to go blaming babies for crying. Chavs, on the other hand, think that two weeks after a massive disaster which has killed 200,000+, the entire movie will have been edited to INCLUDE IT. Even when the actual reason there are floating corpses was explained by the big explosions and the terrorist assault on Panama.

And I have observed them talking on their cellphones when the "Don't talk on your cellphone!" thingy is playing. And during the movie. So yeah, I'm pretty ready to blame chavs for being chavs.

Damn chavs.

Shauna
12-30-2005, 04:42 PM
You didn't have to be rude - I'd have turned round and had a go at you myself. Noise disturbance = me getting pissed off XD

I used 'I' a lot there. It was less me making all the noise, and more my friend making all the noise, and I was laughing. I did actually have a really bad cough that day, my friend just used that as an excuse to make more noise. I just thought it was horribly funny. But, meh~

Zeldy
12-30-2005, 04:59 PM
There was a serial shusher the last time I went to the cinema's. We had taken one side of the back row and when theres so many friends together they tend to talk and giggle. Which we did, well, They did. She kept turning around shushing us. I already thought the movie was ruined when this girl sat a row in front of me. I hate her, she hates me. Just her presence there made me feel uncomfortable. She caused me so much sadness. I was just slouching on my chair with my Hoodie over my face trying to snooze (The film bored me to death, DAMN YOU NARNIA, DAMN YOU.. YOU DISNEY)

I've had my fair warnings from the staff saying they'll chuck me out though ^_~

I rarely go the cinema's anyway. Its so expensive here. A Ticket is now £4! Drinks are about £1 and the sweets trick you cause' you pay for how much it weighs and you can't just say "Ooh dear, can I put them back?" Your stuck with them and have to fork out the cash.

Anaisa
12-30-2005, 05:42 PM
Yeah, they should have scales and a pricelist where you can weigh the sweets before you purchase them. And like everybody else I obviously hate people who shush at others who are making less noise then there shushing is. And people who push there feet against the back of your seat, but I give them about ten seconds to remove them before I turn round and tell them to. I also hate guys who try and touch the back of your head to amuse themselves, again I put a stop to it very quickly. And obviously noisy people, usually stupid teenagers desperately trying to get some attention. And people who take children to the cinema and then recite to the child whats happening in the film. If the childs too dumb, too young, or both, to realise whats going on, then don't take it to the cinema. I always go to the cinema on weekdays so there is hardly any people there, and I sit as far away from them as possible.

Rye
12-31-2005, 02:36 PM
I do love how serial shusher has caught on. xD

Madame Adequate
12-31-2005, 03:30 PM
I rarely go the cinema's anyway. Its so expensive here. A Ticket is now £4! Drinks are about £1 and the sweets trick you cause' you pay for how much it weighs and you can't just say "Ooh dear, can I put them back?" Your stuck with them and have to fork out the cash.

$5.80 is the cheap rate here. I would <3 to have your movie palladium. xD

Germ Hamee
01-02-2006, 01:25 AM
Dude, I went to Memoirs of a Geisha the other night, and it was the same thing. The place was completely PACKED with old people. I felt bad because they were running out of places to sit, and I moved to the most uncomfortable seat in the place so that the old people wouldn't die or something. o.O It was a horrible theatre altogether. I asked for a Mr Pibb, I got a coke, and they were very rude and would not fix the problem. I could hear the other movies playing through the walls. And some guy was running around with a red light as if he had to worry about the old people pirating the movie.

I love going to the cinema, but yeah. I hate chair kickers, and people that talk the entire time. If you've seen the movie already, why are you back if you don't intend to watch it? If the movie's boring, why don't you leave? Grr.

~SapphireStar~
01-02-2006, 03:39 AM
Chavs, kids and people who "forget" to switch their phones off ruin the moive experince for me.

XxSephirothxX
01-02-2006, 05:14 AM
I pretty much dislike anyone who makes noise during a movie, and there are almost always a few people who do. Ocassionally I luck out and there are only a handful of people in the theatre; that's the best.