PDA

View Full Version : The hills are alive with the sound of etc.

Cz
12-30-2005, 01:18 PM
I can't stand musicals. I've never been able to sit through one since I was about seven (and even then only Disney cartoons like The Lion King) and I consider musical theatre to be torture. However, it's obvious from the huge success of certain shows that there are plenty of other out there who take the opposite view, and spend their weekends singing along to Mary Poppins.

So, what do you think of musicals? If you're a fan, could you explain what's so appealing about them, and maybe tell us your favourite?

Rye
12-30-2005, 01:21 PM
I like musicals, but the sad ones rather than the happy ones. If you want an example of a song, Fiddler on the Roof - Far From The Home I Love. I love that song. And of course, the songs from Phantom of the Opera. I don't like the happy musical songs much. I dunno why really I like musicals though. I like opera too, which most people dislike. :p

Miriel
12-30-2005, 08:37 PM
I love musicals!

Well, I'm not so big on them at the moment cause I recently had to write a 10 page term paper on the Musical film genre. But uh, the appeal of musicals is the sheer spectacle of it all. The nature of musicals is to be slightly surreal, dazzling, and fun.

Moulin Rouge is probably my favorite musical. Ewan McGregor said in an interview that human beings experience music and songs on a whole different level than just words alone. I think that's true. It reaches the viewer in a different way when you hear someone singing a love song, as opposed to someone just saying, "I love you."

And while I was in New York, I saw The Beauty and the Beast musical on Broadway and it was wonderful. I adored it.

Chris
12-30-2005, 08:41 PM
I like musicals very much. The first musical I ever saw was "Cabaret" with Liza Minnelli. I loved that musical, so I looked up some other shows and among them my favourites are: "Gypsy", "A Chorus Line" and "Meet Me in St. Louis".

Kirobaito
12-30-2005, 09:02 PM
"The Sound of Music" is one of my favorite movies and I'm not ashamed to admit it. :)

I've also gone to see "The Lion King", "Beauty and the Beast", and "Phantom of the Opera", and I enjoyed all of them thoroughly.

The Summoner of Leviathan
12-30-2005, 09:18 PM
Though I have not seen many I do not mind musicals. My favorite is Sound of Music...I have to say I am a Julie Andrews fan.

Anaisa
12-30-2005, 09:26 PM
How can you not like musicals? Musicals are comedys to me ,they always make me laugh. The funniest musical movie ever is "Tommy", thats hilarious.

Slade
12-31-2005, 05:50 AM
Musicals are great. I especially like Cats and The Phantom of the Opera. I wouldn't say Disney cartoons are musicals, they just have a bit of singing in them. Best Disney movie for the music was Tarzan. Phil Collins = Awsomeness.

a nirvana fan
01-02-2006, 10:34 AM
I CANNOT STAND musicals, i HATE films like Mary Poppins(urgh), Grease 1 and 2, and a lot more others, there are so annoying.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
01-02-2006, 10:47 AM
I can easily accept musicals that are set in fantastical settings because, in those cases, the musical element is just another part of the fantasy. On the other hand, I find it jarring for normal people living normal lives to randomly burst into song. The absurdity and melodrama in those cases is just off-putting. However, if the quality of the music and singing are exceptionally good, or if the setting and characters are novel enough, I really don't mind them, either.

Shadow The Red XIII Thing
01-06-2006, 08:01 PM
Musicals are great. I especially like Cats and The Phantom of the Opera. I wouldn't say Disney cartoons are musicals, they just have a bit of singing in them. Best Disney movie for the music was Tarzan. Phil Collins = Awsomeness.
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH:laugh:
Oh you was serious.

Captain Maxx Power
01-06-2006, 09:21 PM
Musicals officially Suck* (http://www.googlefight.com/index.php?lang=en_GB&word1=Musicals&word2=Everything). The irony is I'll probably end up working on one. Music in theatre can work well however (just look at the likes of Brecht), but in terms of the idea of "musicals" it's the equivalent of popcorn entertainment - No use brain, you llikey.

*Based upon Musicals versus Everything

eestlinc
01-06-2006, 11:18 PM
I'd rather cut my foot off with a hacksaw that sit through a musical.

~SapphireStar~
01-06-2006, 11:33 PM
Musicals cheer me up, thats the reason they were made. To cheer up the people when the wars were on. My favourite is Blues Brothers, always loved that film!

kikimm
01-07-2006, 12:18 AM
I don't normally like them, but once in awhile a good one will come along that I'll enjoy. I thought Chicago was fantastic! And I also really liked Phtantom of the Opera.

It all depends on the music.

Little Miss Awesome
01-07-2006, 01:59 AM
I like musicals :p Footloose and Chicago are my favourites. I really don't know why I like them, and I think they can tend to drag on more than other films, but they're great :p

~SapphireStar~
01-07-2006, 02:07 AM
Cant believe no-ones mentioned Grease yet! Im not a mad fan myself, but its still good!

Slade
01-07-2006, 03:25 AM
'Summer lovin' happened so fast!' :D

fire_of_avalon
01-07-2006, 03:34 AM
I like some, I hate some.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
01-07-2006, 07:48 AM
Now that I think about it, the musicals I like also tend to be dominated by male roles, and I find the occasion female-sung songs therein to be tiresome.

Miriel
01-07-2006, 07:51 AM
Oh yeah, I recently watched Hedwig and the Angry Inch and it was captivating. Probably one of my favorite films, musical or not.