PDA

View Full Version : I HATE the new FF7 look

Starboard Regulator FlareNUKE
12-31-2005, 08:51 AM
Cloud looks ugly and his clothes look like ghost vomit... I mean, I liked the anime-look of the original... not these ugly, attempt to look real bullfuck...

Setzer Gabianni
12-31-2005, 10:41 AM
what are you on about? The tech demo or AC?

Reine
12-31-2005, 12:47 PM
I think everyone looks much better...although Barret looks too much like a gangster..

Setzer Gabianni
12-31-2005, 01:01 PM
Oi, answer my question. Are you on about AC or the PS3 tech demo? -_-

12-31-2005, 01:21 PM
Both... they look the same...

Setzer Gabianni
12-31-2005, 01:32 PM
So you're comparing AC to the PS3 tech demo? Make yourself clearer next time dear.

He looks rather handsome, if a bit puny in AC. In the tech demo...he looks rather disturbing..

Suikojowy
12-31-2005, 01:32 PM
I'll actually have to agree with you on that. I much prefer their old styles.

Rhi
12-31-2005, 01:46 PM
what's the tech demo?

Setzer Gabianni
12-31-2005, 02:05 PM
The tech demo is a trailer of what graphics FFVII would have had if it had been remade onto the PS3 my dear. Cloud does look ugly.

Anniexo
12-31-2005, 08:05 PM
i haven't seen the tech demo but i think cloud from AC looks cute

Rhi
12-31-2005, 08:43 PM
where can i see this tech demo

darkchrono
12-31-2005, 09:14 PM
The only reason you like it better is because you are used to seeing them in that way. If ff7 was a newer game with the newer types of graphics you would think the way they look now is just fine.

KoShiatar
12-31-2005, 10:12 PM
Well FlareNuke, I suppose you should watch Last Order and Play Before Crisis and Crisis Corem then...

SummonerYuna
12-31-2005, 10:16 PM
BC and AC are cute. But I also like the original too.

Slade
01-01-2006, 06:29 AM
I like most of the characters looks from AC, clothes and facial appearances. The only one I have a problem with is Tifa. Can anyone say, 'Rinoa repaint' :D . Then again, I didn't care much for Tifa in the first game either. I think out of all the characters Yuffie, Cid and Cloud look the best in AC. As for the tech demo, Cloud was okay but the disturbing part was how long he stood there and looked at you after he jumped off the train.......freaky.

Gullick
01-01-2006, 05:12 PM
I reckon Sephiroth looks a bit gay in AC compared to the original, btw have you lot seen AC yet then and if you have how?

Suikojowy
01-01-2006, 05:29 PM
I thought AC Sephiroth was almost identical to his original FF7 look.

Oh and I saw it months ago, I just downloaded it.

Lone Gunman
01-01-2006, 05:32 PM
Merely a suggestion... Post pictures next time.

Jessweeee♪
01-01-2006, 09:24 PM
I don't mind. I try not to care too much about graphics but it's harder (harder, not impossible) to take a story seriously when the characters look cartoony (FFIX) or unreal. I did manage to get into the FFVII storyline though. It was hard because the characters reminded me of legos, especially the ShinRa soldiers.
AAAAAAAH!! ATTACK OF THE LEGGOS! RUUUUNNNNNN!

Gullick
01-01-2006, 09:42 PM
well what do you think is more important in games in general :an alright story with great graphics or a great story with alright graphics?

darkchrono
01-01-2006, 09:55 PM
jesse when did you first play ff7. If you played it sometime during the late 90's you still probably would have thought the graphics were either great or pretty darn good. It's generally the people who see the ff7 graphics for the first time within the past few years that they start looking crappy.

Randgris
01-02-2006, 01:11 AM
It was once noted that FFVII has one of the best graphic and storylines a few years back. (It's one, if not the first, RPG to be ever made in 3D, but I think it is the first RPG to be ever made 3D. You only think it has crappy graphics because 3D now is more realistic, and not ploygonal.)

Cloud_omnislash_Strife
01-02-2006, 02:01 AM
r u mocking me?

Holy_Aeris
01-02-2006, 02:34 AM
^ heh.

I think they all look ok, except for Barret.....i mean, whats with the nets?

Anyways, they had to have a change of clothes some time!

a nirvana fan
01-02-2006, 10:38 AM
Well I think the "new" look is kinda good, Cloud looks so cool whatever he dresses in. ....(Apart from a drag queen look:moomba: )

Silver_Dust
01-02-2006, 03:35 PM
Cloud's AC look is far better than the way he looks in the FFvii, the clothes he wears are better too.

SoulTaker*
01-02-2006, 04:31 PM
Cloud's AC look is far better than the way he looks in the FFvii, the clothes he wears are better too.

yeppers, Nomura add's a great sense of style to his character designs. Japan, is going through a very retro clothing style period and that sorta influences Nomura's designs.

I don't mind. I try not to care too much about graphics but it's harder (harder, not impossible) to take a story seriously when the characters look cartoony (FFIX) or unreal. I did manage to get into the FFVII storyline though. It was hard because the characters reminded me of legos, especially the ShinRa soldiers.
AAAAAAAH!! ATTACK OF THE LEGGOS! RUUUUNNNNNN!

Tru, many people were turned off by the childish look of the characters, i loved it, I can see some people not picking up the game because of the less than mature themes. I still do like mature storylines and character looks, I think thats what really seperated FF from the first RPG's in my opinion. Also the characters did remind me of lego's to Jesse1, their was a significant rise in graphics from 7 to 8 and it wasnt like they were released long after one another.

Jessweeee♪
01-02-2006, 06:37 PM
After awhile I got past the leggo thing and enjoyed the game. (heck, i'm playing FFIV).
The first FF I played was this one, but I didn't get past the first reactor and I wasn't at my own house, then I picked up FF8 and played that. Then X, Then VII again.

So I guess you could say FFVIII was my first...truly a revolution in graphics for FF games.

01-04-2006, 11:05 AM
Well FlareNuke, I suppose you should watch Last Order and Play Before Crisis and Crisis Corem then...

If I recall, I liked the appearance of the one with the anime look and the generic anime eyes... think that was Crisis Core...

d£v!l'$ ph0£n!x
01-04-2006, 01:36 PM
ad no one answered RHI i will. you can download the tech demo from www.gamespot.com
honestly guys you should all learn some manners!

Zeromus_X
01-04-2006, 07:41 PM
i liked the new look. they looked more "amano-y" to me. (even though i dont believe he was involved...)

IpwnUthisMuch|------|
01-05-2006, 08:26 PM
i prefer the older more cartoony look but i accept how difficult it would be to make a decent movie and keep those PS1 graphics and cartoony looking lego characters

Fatal Impurity
01-05-2006, 09:12 PM
the graphics of ff7 really sucked that was one of the biggest problems for me (that and the stupid glitches!)

Clone 01
01-22-2006, 01:21 PM
Suikojowy where did you download AC from??

Desi
01-22-2006, 06:06 PM
I like that the characters look more human (with the exceptions of the obvious, like Red XIII) :)

Vyk
01-22-2006, 10:09 PM
Suikojowy where did you download AC from??
You have to torrent it. And I'm not sure it's allowed for us to point you in the right direction. Get a BiTtorrent program and try Googling for an Advent Children torrent.

Hazard Note: When AC first became readilly available online, it was just a raw Japanese rip. Subtitles came in a seperate file. So be wary of this. I'm sure they have a fully subbed version available by now. You can get the subs pretty easily with the other, sometimes it even comes with it in the torrent file. But then you have to go through a few extra steps to actually impliment the subs in the movie.

On topic: Did you not see character art for these people? Yeah, they don't look like they did in the game. But the game wasn't an actual representation of the characters. Well, I guess it represented them. But wasn't actually what they were supposed to look like. LO, AC, and the tech demo weren't far off from how Cloud was drawn. Yeah he had a change of clothes. But that was to be expected. Basically Square did with FF7 what had always been done with RPGs. Squatty deformed characters representing the actual characters. Usually you had to rely on character art to know what they were actually supposed to look like. Square just decided not to be typical with little fat big-headed super-deformed looks. They went blocky and polygonal. And I have to say I liked it as a change from the typical Super-Deformed RPG look. I never took the characters to actually look like that anyway. I knew what they were supposed to look like, and being represented in cute little block figures was... well, cute.

I've always wanted someone to do a Super-Deformed chibi caricature of me ^_^

Rengori
01-22-2006, 10:39 PM
I miss their old styles.

Noj_R
01-22-2006, 10:42 PM
Ok, about the TOPIC.

Cloud looks way better in the Tech Demo. He actually looks powerful carrying this huge ass sword and leaping from the train instead of some wussy low poly chibi guy walking out of a train car like he's gonna "save the day". Cloud in TD looks ready to kick ass and not make me giggle when he talks like hes tough. Cloud in the TD is far superior to the old one.

Cloud in AC ( havent seen the movie ), looks kind of girly ( this is due to the anime CG work, its unavoidable in this style ). His clothes though have changed dramtically. No more purple spandex with a spiked turtle shell perched on his shoulder. He dresses like futuristic warrior ready to save the world and win the chicks. I have no idea where ghost vomit came from...

Cloud appearance has changed dramatically for the better. No more purple spandex, chibi models, amongst other things. I mean come on, did you really like Cloud looking gay? His appearance now suggests one of burly strength, intelligence, and style.

"Long live the new Cloud!" says I and no more cross dressing...( that part was dumb )

?????
01-22-2006, 11:54 PM
Most RPGs at the time were done in this style; the in-battle models and FMVs (though FFVII was really the first one to incorporate cinematic FMVs) would use detailed character art, and outside of battle it'd be chibis or Legos.

Mercen-X
01-23-2006, 12:22 AM
I like most of the characters looks from AC, clothes and facial appearances. The only one I have a problem with is Tifa. Can anyone say, 'Rinoa repaint'.
I don't think that's accurate. When I look at Rinoa, I think if she had blonde hair, she'd remind me of the girl from The Girl Next Door.
I don't get that from Tifa though. Besides, Tifa came before Rinoa, thus Rinoa is the "repaint" if anyone is.

Also, I played FF7 when it first came out here in California in 1997. I thought it was cool that the characters were no longer tiny blurry sprites, but I wasn't very impressed by the polygonal take either. It was my opinion that FF7 had the greatest battle and movie graphics that I had ever had the pleasure of seeing. My problem remained with the polygonal field characters and the typos and mistranslations that would sometimes occur in the story.

kikimm
01-23-2006, 01:46 AM
I think they all look ok, except for Barret.....i mean, whats with the nets?

It's fucking hardcore!

I like the look of LO and AC a lot better than FFVII. I just don't like deformed characters. FFVIII and FFX all the way. It's just easier on the eyes.

~SapphireStar~
01-23-2006, 02:24 AM
I prefer the new look for the characters in AC, LO and Cloud in the tech demo. Thats really how Square imagined them to look, they just had to pixalated due to the graphics of the time. You cant really call any of them ugly cause they look more realistic.

?????
01-23-2006, 02:35 AM
Cloud in the FMVs actually looks reasonably like his AC incarnation.

Fuefu
01-23-2006, 03:28 AM
Yeah, this new PS3 crap is driving me nuts..

Slade
01-23-2006, 05:29 AM
I don't think that's accurate. When I look at Rinoa, I think if she had blonde hair, she'd remind me of the girl from The Girl Next Door.
I don't get that from Tifa though. Besides, Tifa came before Rinoa, thus Rinoa is the "repaint" if anyone is...
I was refering to the AC Tifa. Not the face construction but the clothes, they are pretty much the same except the colour difference, which of course is black. She even has a little black ribbon tied around her arm like Rinoa did.

boys from the dwarf
01-23-2006, 07:45 AM
cloud definetly looks fine. tifa looks a lot different but i dont realy care. barret looks a bit too much of a gangster but red 13 and vincent are pretty much perfect.

Fuefu
01-23-2006, 12:41 PM
Thay have ps3 screen caps of Tifa, Red, Barret, & Vincet?

Vyk
01-23-2006, 12:49 PM
This isn't about PS3

Dreddz
01-23-2006, 09:28 PM
I dont mind the look of the recent additions to FFVII, but thats dont mean I like what there doing with this game....

02-07-2006, 04:26 AM
I'm talking about the ARTWORK, forget the in-game appearance

I don't get that from Tifa though. Besides, Tifa came before Rinoa, thus Rinoa is the "repaint" if anyone is.

Also, I played FF7 when it first came out here in California in 1997. I thought it was cool that the characters were no longer tiny blurry sprites, but I wasn't very impressed by the polygonal take either. It was my opinion that FF7 had the greatest battle and movie graphics that I had ever had the pleasure of seeing. My problem remained with the polygonal field characters and the typos and mistranslations that would sometimes occur in the story.

The AC version came after FFVIII, and it is true, Tifa now has black hair... which is a big set-off

Mirage
02-07-2006, 08:40 AM
I prefer the new look. Anime style just doesn't work in 3D. With a few exceptions.

mooglebunni608
02-07-2006, 09:06 PM
in the tech demo he looks like he put his hair that way on purpose.......

Alive-Cat
02-07-2006, 09:21 PM
I do kind of think the Anime style graphics of FF7 looked cooler, but unless they wanted to make a cartoon styled movie/demo, they couldn't replicate them. The Anime style of FF7 is purely down to the oldness of the game, I'm sure if at the time they could have made the game graphics like the movie graphics of now, they would have.

cloud_doll
02-19-2006, 05:20 PM
cloud looks good in AC and the demo, but his hair isn't spiky enough. That was that, one of his biggest traits in the original game (Barret calling him by the name: "Yo spikey headed ass") but it looks more realistic the way the have it now...but i still miss the spikeyness

Acid Raine
02-19-2006, 06:34 PM
I'm talking about the ARTWORK, forget the in-game appearance

The AC version came after FFVIII, and it is true, Tifa now has black hair... which is a big set-off

Am I missing something? I thought she always had black hair.....I thought they made her look Asian, since they so rarely do that in FF (they like blondes....heheheh)

I like this better. I am ashamed to say, but I was sparked on FF by Kingdom Hearts. I saw commercials for it, (at this time, I liked Disney) and desperately wanted a PS2. Well.....I got one, got KH, LIKED KH, and then found out about FF. Well, naturally, I got FFs (X first, I believe...), and so on. But I was MAJORLY off-putted (yuck...terrible grammar I have...) by the graphics in VII, but that probably was in large part to playing X, then VIII, then IX, THEN VII (I didnt play the older ones until I became FF devout), so I guess I was biased.

Okaaaay.....LOOOONG explanation that no one cares about.....heheheh
Overall, I like being able to see the kick-boot3h FF7 characters with mouths and fingers. I agree that they didnt make his hair spikey enough (That poor pokey-headed fellow), and they didnt make his eyes shiny enough. I thought they would make them like O.O POW! but it was more like o.o pow....

Keep in mind, I havent seen the movie yet, Ive only seen pics.

cloud_doll
02-20-2006, 12:29 AM
Am I missing something? I thought she always had black hair.....I thought they made her look Asian, since they so rarely do that in FF (they like blondes....heheheh)

I like this better. I am ashamed to say, but I was sparked on FF by Kingdom Hearts. I saw commercials for it, (at this time, I liked Disney) and desperately wanted a PS2. Well.....I got one, got KH, LIKED KH, and then found out about FF. Well, naturally, I got FFs (X first, I believe...), and so on. But I was MAJORLY off-putted (yuck...terrible grammar I have...) by the graphics in VII, but that probably was in large part to playing X, then VIII, then IX, THEN VII (I didnt play the older ones until I became FF devout), so I guess I was biased.

Okaaaay.....LOOOONG explanation that no one cares about.....heheheh
Overall, I like being able to see the kick-boot3h FF7 characters with mouths and fingers. I agree that they didnt make his hair spikey enough (That poor pokey-headed fellow), and they didnt make his eyes shiny enough. I thought they would make them like O.O POW! but it was more like o.o pow....

Keep in mind, I havent seen the movie yet, Ive only seen pics.

okay, im tired of people saying the graphics are bad, of course they are! the game was made in 1997! it doesn't really matter unless your stuck up and can't play a game without good graphics.
and in FFVII game Tifa had brown hair

Acid Raine
02-20-2006, 01:48 AM
-_- I was 6 years old in 1997. I wasnt interested in this stuff until 2002 when KH came out. That long explanation was saying that I was merely disappointed because I was biased to good graphics, due to playing X, IX, and VIII first. And it's not like I didn't play it, I did play it, start to finish. FF VII remains one of my favorite games out there. Sure the ice cube look bugs me a little, but I get over that quickly. VIIs graphics are are only bad depending on who you compare it to. If you compare it to the newer games, then yes, they will look bad, but everyone who plays VII knows when it was made and that was the best they could do....nobody I know has comdemned it, yet...

Edit: Okay, It turns out Tifa's har was originally black. See for yourself:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tifa_Lockhart

Vincentsinnerdemon
02-21-2006, 04:11 AM
For the lego look, I'm pretty easily able to see a games graphics from the point of view from when it was just made.

AC i only have a problem with Square taking Rinoa's clothes, dying them black, and putting them on Tifa.

And the tech demo I remember thinking something was wrong with cloud but i only saw it once and it was 11 months ago over a really bad computor monitor so i cant really recall what he looked like.

But i do think they chould have left the clothes unchanged.

Skyblade
02-21-2006, 07:05 PM
The tech demo was all right (although I'd appreciate being able to find a larger and higher quality version of it). I do however have a small problem with it. It's the same one I had with AC. Namely, Cloud's hair doesn't work. The style was nice in the original, but it didn't translate well to the more realistic style of AC and the Tech Demo. In the original, their figures were out of proportion, and the hair was similarly exaggerated. In AC, they fixed the proportions and styles, but they left the hair alone, and, IMHO, it comes across looking extremely stupid.

Also, why do people complain about Tifa's hair color change, but not Reno's? His hair was a dark reddish brown in the original, but in AC, it's bright red, and I find that change far worse than Tifa's.

Shiny
02-21-2006, 08:51 PM
Cloud looks ugly and his clothes look like ghost vomit... I mean, I liked the anime-look of the original... not these ugly, attempt to look real bullsmurf...
Games are not all about the look but the actual gameplay. Ah, forget it you're banned anyway so I'll just end it there.

cloud_doll
02-21-2006, 09:30 PM
Also, why do people complain about Tifa's hair color change, but not Reno's? His hair was a dark reddish brown in the original, but in AC, it's bright red, and I find that change far worse than Tifa's.

Yeah, I know. Reno looked pretty good in the movie, but I do think he'd look more like himself with his original hair color.

And also, I don't think Tifa's clothes look anything at all like Rinoa's. Rinoa had on a baby blue long, sleeveless sweater type thing, with a black tank and a dark blue skirt, Tifa had on a black vest and black shorts with a little skirt wrap type thing... doesn't really connest all too much! I don't know about you but I don't see the resemblance. I actually enjoyed Tifa's outfit. The only thing that bothered me was her hair of course. A but darker than her usual color!

Crehan89
03-06-2006, 10:42 AM
although i am a big fan of the original, i like the look of the tech demo, are they actually remaking it? Also i like the new look aeris on the tech demo

cloud_doll
03-10-2006, 10:10 PM
oh yeah one other thing i didnt like was sephiroth, he looked old and gross. it looked better when he looked sexy, lol