PDA

View Full Version : So...how were the 'spectacular' fireworks?

Shaun
01-01-2006, 12:57 PM
I live in England, and I was just stuck in home, alone, last night. On TV I just saw London's fireworks, and there was the Queen, smiling at these pointless fireworks that cost so much money.

I personally hate New Year's Eve. If you go out you're only going to encounter pissed chavs, and you can't even send anyone a "Happy New Year' message because the mobile networks are clogged up. If all of the money that was wasted on these fireworks went to third-world countries, that'd make it a happier next year for me.

Well, I hated it. But what do you think?

Christmas
01-01-2006, 01:09 PM
there was the Queen, smiling at these pointless fireworks that cost so much money.

Not even once a year?

Shaun
01-01-2006, 01:17 PM
Not even once a year?

I understand what you're saying, but these fireworks - there were so many. They must've cost a fortune. Even using a quarter of the amount would've been good if they were to help unfortunate countries with the rest.

Alive-Cat
01-01-2006, 01:18 PM
I missed them. Punk rock music, and such...:rolleyes2

Christmas
01-01-2006, 01:40 PM
People will start complaining on how the government is being a miser on the fireworks and those money saved might not go to the third world countries anyway.

Rye
01-01-2006, 01:44 PM
In America, we don't really have a lot of fireworks on New Years. A few in Time Square and a few from some random people who have them, but that's it. I didn't see any outside, but I saw some on TV after the ball drop. :) It was nice. I love the ball drop.

Apollo
01-01-2006, 01:48 PM
Yeah, the ball drop is really cool. I watch it on T.V every year with my friends and family. Someday I want to go there and see it for myself though, I think that'd be really cool.

I spent most of my New Years Eve going up north with 2 of my friends to get a friend who moved up there and bring her down here to celebrate the new year with us. It was a great new years. ^^

Jess
01-01-2006, 02:01 PM
Ball drop?

I'm also in the UK, and I didn't see the fireworks because I was at a party, but I love fireworks they are really pretty. :love:

boris no no
01-01-2006, 02:05 PM
we didnt see any
but a bunch of 20 year old with whiskey chess and a gamble ring set up are not too bothered about that sort of thing :P

Chaos
01-01-2006, 02:24 PM
I was in Brighton for New Years...I saw about three fireworks go off...mind you, I was at my mates flat dancing around to le punk rock.

Old Manus
01-01-2006, 02:28 PM
I stood out on the balcony and I could see the whole town and there were tons of fireworks - but the drink may have made me start seeing things

Cz
01-01-2006, 02:30 PM
I like fireworks. They may not solve any problems or serve a purpose beyond lighting up the sky with pretty colours, but they're a treat, and a way of celebrating the coming of a new year in a way that's a little more eventful than just getting drunk and forgetting the words to Auld Lang Syne. This year's display was particularly fantastic, a light show with real structure that gives a real sense of occasion to those who couldn't make it to a party.

It's true that the money spent on New Year's celebrations could have been put to better use, but sometimes it's important to give people something to enjoy. An extravagant fireworks display might not be the wisest use of thousands of pounds, but I think that you can justify the occasional indulgence for the sake of a New Year's celebration that gives people something to cheer about. :)

Primus Inter Pares
01-01-2006, 02:33 PM
They were good, my grandmother only allowed my grandad to get one rocket thing...

So of course, he gets the biggest motherfucker there, there was over 100 small rockets in it xD.

KoShiatar
01-01-2006, 09:07 PM
I don't like New Year's Eve because it makes me think about how lonely I am.

Psychotic
01-01-2006, 09:39 PM
If you care so much about third world countries, how about instead of using your time posting on internet forums, you use it to do charity work for third world countries? Heck, sell your computer and give the proceeds to said third world countries too, and while you're at it, sell your video games consoles, TV and CD/mp3 players and donate the money to those living in poorer countries.

All these things are as necessary as fireworks, in that they aren't. Until you don't have any unnecessary luxuries, don't point the finger at anyone else.

Now, let's all forget about third world countries and indulge in the decadent lifestyle of the west.

Shoden
01-01-2006, 09:41 PM
not much fireworks but we got a suicidal bloke in a kilt playing the bagpipes!
it was about 2 Celsius up here last night and I got kicked out for a joke in my Pyjamas!!

OUTSIDE FOR 3 mins at 2 celsius!

I never got near the fireworks this year.

Blackmageboi
01-01-2006, 09:44 PM
The fireworks kept me up for hours, though they were pretty i was tired and didn't really care.

SummonerYuna
01-01-2006, 09:47 PM
It was so awsome! We had these sticks, and all you do is burn a match and put it on the stick and then the stick sparkles. Plus we had plenty of rockets XD

Miriel
01-01-2006, 11:00 PM
You know where the most spectacular fireworks display is at? Disneyland. It's SPECTACULAR. Really. It'll blow your mind, and then make you cry.

Del Murder
01-01-2006, 11:08 PM
Yeah, Disneyland is pretty good.

Yamaneko
01-02-2006, 05:00 AM
I turned my DS on around 11:55 to see the fireworks in Animal Crossing. I was impressed.

And yes, I'm being serious.

ffxfreak93
01-02-2006, 05:36 AM
someone on here said that someone lit a firework from there ass
does that count as "spectactular"?

Loony BoB
01-02-2006, 07:28 AM
I've lived in major cities all my life but the best fireworks display I ever saw was in little ol' Rotorua, where they had fireworks that turned into massive pictures in the sky, like stars and hearts and so on.

Anyway, what you didn't know, Spartan, is that they were going to spend 33% more on the fireworks but that money instead went to third world countries because they figured that you were right, they should give quarter to third would countries.

Everything is relative. I think people damning the spending of money on festivities are silly. They even do that in the third world.

Shlup
01-02-2006, 08:38 AM
Hating New Years Eve? What a waste of energy.

People seem to forget that when people spend money it doesn't evaporate. It goes to other people. Spending it is better than hanging onto it.

Psydekick
01-02-2006, 09:39 AM
Oh yeah they said on the news it was a million quid worth of fireworks

nik0tine
01-02-2006, 10:30 AM
I love newyears because that's one of the only times I get to see local newscasters trying to act "hip".

blackmage_nuke
01-02-2006, 10:50 AM
I love new years because its a day that everyone in the world no matter what religion can celebrate, unless you're part of some kind of anti-calender cult, not that theres anything wrong with that (cult is for lack of a better word) So i really think spending alot of money on new years is okay if you considering all that money people spend on "Christmas" etc :p. And if you're Chinese, or generally have Chinese background or possibly part of other certain Asian countries you celebrate it twice a year which rocks :D

Giga Guess
01-02-2006, 05:20 PM
Calgary's was alright....pretty low though....

StarlightAngel
01-02-2006, 09:28 PM
It was fun to watch :) They had it pretty much timed with the music, though they were a little off here and there...

But oh well. It's impressive that they managed to get it timed as well as they did XD

Epiphany
01-02-2006, 10:26 PM
I live in South Carolina and they light them for it here. I was annoyed. Very. My dog freaks out at loud sounds so he was trying to climb on tables and climb up on the walls.

Shaun
01-03-2006, 12:53 PM
Anyway, what you didn't know, Spartan, is that they were going to spend 33% more on the fireworks but that money instead went to third world countries because they figured that you were right, they should give quarter to third would countries.

Erm, 33%? Sure, that's generous, but...

Oh yeah they said on the news it was a million quid worth of fireworks

Uhm. I rest my case.

Twisted Tinkerbell
01-03-2006, 02:03 PM
I hate fireworks, I was almost hit by one on my way home in high school. To be honest I never though much of them anyway. I didn't really do anything for new year. Just spent it with my fiance. *Note to self must get him to post here again*