PDA

View Full Version : Soul Caliber Or Tekken ?

Dreddz
01-01-2006, 06:40 PM
Due to this question hotting up in the SC3 topic, I think Ill just make a complete topic on it. Ill just quote myself from the SC3 convo

No way, Tekken has always been superior, Im not trying to say I dislike or hate Soul Caliber, but Tekken does so much more. Firstly, Tekken has a much better cast of characters than SC. Tekkens combat is more varied, its got more moves for each characters. Where some characters share the same Style, all theres moves are different, while SC's cast each share moves that are too alike.
Tekken doesnt have stupid modes like Chronicles of the sword which was terrible. And SC trys to do more than the average Fighter but fails extras like Create a Character , its just carrying alot more crap than good.
Tekken focuses on its fighting, it has had modes that arent part of the actual fighting game, but there not taken too far, and are there mainly just for a bit of fun. Chronicle of the sword actually requires you to walk through a terrible experience to unlock silly things.
And, Tekken has at least gone one step up, Tekken 5 changed the Tekken experience for the better, While SC3 still feels like the original SC. With a few changes that dont really do much.
And Tekken has had better gameplay, the characters moves look better, they seem more extravigent. Its not just simple
-> A + B
This makes the gameplay easy in SC, and made SC1-2 easy, even though little has changed in SC3 combat wise, the AI has imporved vastly, and makes the game a little more challenging, but still easy to people who have played alot of it.
In Tekken however, There are awesome combo's which, although harder to pull off, give you more satisfaction than the micro second moves from SC.

SummonerYuna
01-01-2006, 06:43 PM
WEll, that's a hard one. I'm goning to have to say Tekken. It has better charecters and each of the charecters have their own story like thing.

Venom
01-01-2006, 06:45 PM
Soul caliber.

Dreddz
01-01-2006, 06:46 PM
Oh, thast right. Another good thing for Tekken is that it dosent seem that every character follows the same storyline, in SC, seems like every character follows a yellow brick road, until they have there final Cutscene, which arent great. As Tekken rewards you with a great FMV, while SC gives you a clip with the in game graphics.
Another plus point for Tekken is that in Tekken 5 you can play the arcade versions of Tekken 1-3, what an extra !

Suikojowy
01-01-2006, 06:46 PM
Soul Calibur characters have stories too...

Overall, i'd have to say Tekken. As much as I love Soul Calibur, the tekken series just edges in front, due to how brilliant Tekken 3 and 5 were.

SummonerYuna
01-01-2006, 06:48 PM
Oh, thast right. Another good thing for Tekken is that it dosent seem that every character follows the same storyline, in SC, seems like every character follows a yellow brick road, until they have there final Cutscene, which arent great. As Tekken rewards you with a great FMV, while SC gives you a clip with the in game graphics.
Another plus point for Tekken is that in Tekken 5 you can play the arcade versions of Tekken 1-3, what an extra !

Yeppers!:D But I think tekken 5 is the best!

a nirvana fan
01-01-2006, 09:18 PM
Soul Calibur...Tekken 5 got rubbish after number 4.:choc2:

DK
01-01-2006, 09:43 PM
Tekken 5, because I like being able to use various styles of martial arts and stuff, and somehow beating the crap out of someone with hands and feet seems more fun than twatting someone with a giant sword and them not being sliced in half.

crashNUMBERS
01-01-2006, 09:45 PM
Tekken OWNS Soul Calibur...

Psychotic
01-01-2006, 09:49 PM
Tekken please kay thanks!

Bowser
01-01-2006, 09:53 PM
I really enjoyed both, even though I don't really like Fighting games. I really have to give it to Tekken. There were much more characters, with better combos. It was also much more challenging, with more characters to unlock and more playing modes. Also, there was much more variety between the characters. Can you play with a Kangaroo in SC? I think not. Also, the "dungeons" in SC were way too boring for me. I've probably made through one of those without quitting. Tekken had MUCH better graphics, IMO. Tekken had so much more to unlock than SC, allowing more Replayability. SC had cool characters, but some of them went a little overboard. Is an old man in a leather suit really nessessary? Probably not. Tekken didn't rely on skimpy clothing as much as SC did. Ivy would still have been a good character if she didn't show as much skin. Overall: Tekken: 9.5. SC: 5.5.

Markus. D
01-01-2006, 10:02 PM
Soul Calibar,

cause Unlike Tekken, it has a story, and not just an ending that comes out of nowhere.

and well, dreddz, tekken does have characters that are alike.

Kuma and Panda.
Mokujin, that steel mokujin thing with a differant name and Unknown.
Roger and Alex.

pwned....

Dreddz
01-01-2006, 10:04 PM
There the same smurfing characters, just different costumes
oh pwned !!!!!!!

4evarisha
01-01-2006, 10:05 PM
soul caliber.

crashNUMBERS
01-01-2006, 10:07 PM
oh pwned !!!!!!!
XD Gibbz pwned you bad...

Markus. D
01-01-2006, 10:13 PM
oh pwned !!!!!!!

you cant say that though, you have to take back what you said before about the sc characters.

and dont forget, they have differant names.

Dreddz
01-01-2006, 10:17 PM
Kilik - Seung Mina
Different character
Siegfred - Nightmare
Different character
Abyess - Zasamel
Different character
Arther - Mitsurugi
Different character
Cassandra - Sophitia
Different character
Hwang - Yun Seong
DIFFERENT CHARACTER

crashNUMBERS
01-01-2006, 10:22 PM
you cant say that though, you have to take back what you said before about the sc characters.

and dont forget, they have differant names.
Gibbz has a point. They're different. Kuma and Panda are the same because you select them on the same icon...

SummonerYuna
01-01-2006, 10:24 PM
Either way, Tekken is better :p

Dreddz
01-01-2006, 10:26 PM
The only exception is Christina and Eddie, when you switch the characters there moves change, but you have to buy the costume. All the others are just costumes............

~SapphireStar~
01-01-2006, 11:50 PM
Ive played Tekken for longer and more then Soul Caliber, so Tekken for me. But I remember playing Soul Caliber when it was called Soul Blade.

Markus. D
01-01-2006, 11:51 PM
... not so much in past tekkens... they were all seperate characters with seperate endings...

SAME! fighting styles.

bassically, it happens in both games so HAH!

Dreddz
01-02-2006, 12:08 AM
Firstly, they were never seperate characters, never ever, I want proof that Im wrong.....Press the triangle button on Panda to get Kuma.......

Markus. D
01-02-2006, 01:25 AM
they were seperate characters.

they both have differant backgrounds/history, they both have names which are differant... they arent the same.

... ugh, howd this even start?

Dreddz
01-02-2006, 01:37 AM
They have different endings, and different costumes, but these two have always been a pair. There on the same icon, like Tiger and Eddie, there just costumes.......

BatChao
01-02-2006, 03:11 AM
I dunno about story or whatnot, but in terms of gameplay, I think the Soulcalibur series is better than the Tekken series. SC's 8WR system just makes gameplay flow so much better. All the moves flow into each other very nicely. Tekken feels very stiff in comparison. I've never really played much Tekken except for Tekken 5, which I actually liked... but it seems to be more of a game where you're ended in one combo. SC does have some insane combos, but the game doesn't really revolve around them. It revolves more around mind games, which I tend to like more... also... again... 8WR is the best creation in 3D fighters... ever.

Black Mage
01-02-2006, 03:34 AM
Kilik - Seung Mina
Different character
Siegfred - Nightmare
Different character
Abyess - Zasamel
Different character
Arther - Mitsurugi
Different character
Cassandra - Sophitia
Different character
Hwang - Yun Seong
DIFFERENT CHARACTER

If we're going to simply compare characters that use similar weapons, then sure, they're the same.

If we're going to look into how each character plays, well my friend, you're way off base. Every one of those characters have a different style, and while they may share some moves, they cannot be used in the same way (Unless, of course, you take to button mashing).

I'm no master of either game, but I have played enough Soul Calibur to know that Cassandra and Sophitia, Kilik and Seung Mina, Siegfried and Nightmare, all play differently if you aspir to be good with them.

That said, I enjoy Soul Calibur more than I enjoy Tekken. Not to say Tekken is bad, as it's enjoyable as well.

Vaprice
01-02-2006, 04:17 AM
Tekken I like because it was one of the games that revolutionized the industry of fighting action games. Soul Calibur focuses so much more on weapon fighting. Now soul calibur has the better graphics, and it goes into some plot depth much more than Tekken. But tekken as a mainstream fighting game is superior. It doesn't stick to just weapon fighting, which I like. But overall... DOA!~!! xD

K-chan
01-02-2006, 04:26 AM
I liked the older Tekken games, but overall I like Soul Caliber better. I liked the whole extra bits with fighting in the dungeons and the fact that you could buy new, nifty looking weapons. : )

Markus. D
01-02-2006, 08:05 AM
They have different endings, and different costumes, but these two have always been a pair. There on the same icon, like Tiger and Eddie, there just costumes.......

meh... over it, have a chip :)

Rusty
01-02-2006, 10:43 AM
Tekken for sure.

Madame Adequate
01-02-2006, 10:56 AM
If we're going to look into how each character plays, well my friend, you're way off base. Every one of those characters have a different style, and while they may share some moves, they cannot be used in the same way (Unless, of course, you take to button mashing).

I'm no master of either game, but I have played enough Soul Calibur to know that Cassandra and Sophitia, Kilik and Seung Mina, Siegfried and Nightmare, all play differently if you aspir to be good with them.

Haha, I know. I'd like to see someone used to using Kilik try and get places with Seung Mina... I laughed aloud with mirth and merriment!

Soul Calibur, though not by a wide margin. Tekken 2, 3, and 5 are all amazing. But Soul Blade, and SC I, II, and III are all awesome as well. But eh, overall I prefer SC, not to knock Tekken which is an awesome game.

Mo-Nercy
01-03-2006, 12:00 PM
Soul Calibur is much better IMO but now that it's console exclusive, I can't do anything but play Tekken 5 in the arcades. It's just no fun getting good at a game if you can't beat complete strangers at it.

Tekken 5 isn't so bad, now that I've kind of gotten into it (but not really, I'm still in mourning over SC). So far I can only use Xiaoyu, and not very well.

BTW: Cassandra plays nothing like Sophitia. They may use sword and shield but Cassie is purely Pitbull or Punisher whereas Sophitia is more suited to a Turtle or Juggler type of play. Put in other words, Cassie is better at rushing the opponent and inviting the opponent to miss/whiff so that she can move in with a fast and guaranteed counter hit; Sophie is better at hiding behind her little shield or stepping around until an opportunity presents itself for her to lift the opponent up into the air and keep them up there.

Aphelion
01-03-2006, 12:15 PM
Soul Calibur.

NM
01-03-2006, 01:07 PM
Soul Calibur is by far the better series.

Dreddz
01-03-2006, 01:19 PM
Cassandra plays nothing like Sophitia. They may use sword and shield but Cassie is purely Pitbull or Punisher whereas Sophitia is more suited to a Turtle or Juggler type of play. Put in other words, Cassie is better at rushing the opponent and inviting the opponent to miss/whiff so that she can move in with a fast and guaranteed counter hit; Sophie is better at hiding behind her little shield or stepping around until an opportunity presents itself for her to lift the opponent up into the air and keep them up there.
They still share moves, although there arent as bad as others.....

Slothy
01-03-2006, 02:55 PM
They still share moves, although there arent as bad as others.....

You're still kind of missing the point though. It doesn't matter that they share some moves, since they play completely differently. Try playing one like the other and you'll have one hell of a hard time. Sharing some moves is kind of expected since they are similar weapon types, but none of the characters with similar weapons are simple clones of eachother (at least not anymore. They came really close in the original Soul Calibur though).

Twisted Tinkerbell
01-03-2006, 03:51 PM
tough choice, I gess tekken.

Doomie
01-03-2006, 03:57 PM
Soul Calibur. Even though I played more Tekken. You brought up the point that you can't do some crazy and cheap move in Tekken by using only two buttons? Try Eddie Gordo, or Tiger, whichever suits you. Not to mention that if you play as Hwaorang (Or something), and press XOXOXOXO from the beginning of the match, it is automatically a KO. You can win by button mashing in Tekken, but you can't in SC.

You also said that in Tekken, each character has a story-line. Well, I don't remember which Tekken, but fighting the same ten characters over and over again in tournament mode, but getting a different ending really isn't diverse. Also, at least each of the characters there have a "backstory". In Tekken, you get useless characters like Gon, Gun Jack, Dr. Boskonovich (Or however it is spelt) among others.

And that's it for now.

Dreddz
01-03-2006, 04:31 PM
Your putting words into my mouth, I never said it was cheap with two button presses, I said it was too simplistic and made fighting simple.
Also, I never said that each Tekken character had better storys, I said that SC trys to have storys for characters but each of them later seem to follow the same path. I mean, why does every character have to face Zasamel in the clock tower. Also, I dosent make sense in the fact that if you play as Zasamel, you have to face your double ?

You're still kind of missing the point though. It doesn't matter that they share some moves, since they play completely differently. Try playing one like the other and you'll have one hell of a hard time. Sharing some moves is kind of expected since they are similar weapon types, but none of the characters with similar weapons are simple clones of eachother (at least not anymore. They came really close in the original Soul Calibur though).
Sharing moves makes the two more alike. But that isnt the reason that they play more like each other. They link moves the same, if I was to input down down triangle, then join it with down-right square, they both pretty much do exactly the same move.

Madame Adequate
01-03-2006, 05:05 PM
Sharing moves makes the two more alike. But that isnt the reason that they play more like each other. They link moves the same, if I was to input down down triangle, then join it with down-right square, they both pretty much do exactly the same move.

its fine lern2play

In seriousness, their timings are completely different, and in SCII as Charade I could tell if I had Sophie or Cassie within two or three moves. They've been seperated even further in III.

Mo-Nercy
01-04-2006, 11:52 AM
In seriousness, their timings are completely different, and in SCII as Charade I could tell if I had Sophie or Cassie within two or three moves. They've been seperated even further in III.
You can tell with their normal stance too. Cassandra BOUNCES. Yay! Sophitia doesn't. How boring.

In SC3, Sophie has been given some more Cassie moves whereas Cassie has been given some of Sophies moves. But they still play comfortably in the hands of a veteran. Getting back into Cassie was relatively easy compared to other characters. I don't even want to begin expressing my concern involved with relearning Ivy and Talim.

I still can't use Sophitia. I just 236 a helluva lot and take advantage of the fact that the second goes under Mids. O_O. OMG YAY! Not that Cassies 236 isn't awesome in it's own right. 236B:B = Probably the best move in the game. In SC2 236B was the best punisher and I could easily beat average opponents just with that one move and GIs, the fact that I can do an extra move on top of it makes my mouth water.

See, I can't talk like this about Tekken. <3 Soul Calibur.

Markus. D
01-04-2006, 12:30 PM
my faveorte character are so far (history and fight style/combonationismisticniss *takes breath*): Ivy (ranged combat is awesome fun, and well, her rivalry with carvantis is pretty dark aswell).

Madame Adequate
01-04-2006, 12:36 PM
You can tell with their normal stance too. Cassandra BOUNCES. Yay! Sophitia doesn't. How boring.

True! But I was never quite observant enough to see this.

In SC3, Sophie has been given some more Cassie moves whereas Cassie has been given some of Sophies moves. But they still play comfortably in the hands of a veteran. Getting back into Cassie was relatively easy compared to other characters. I don't even want to begin expressing my concern involved with relearning Ivy and Talim.

My friend and I nearly died when we used Mitsurugi. X_x He is still plenty awesome, just more different than we expected. But yeah, some have changed much more than others. I've still not got the hang of the new Ivy for the most part, actually. Then I've not been playing it much lately.

I still can't use Sophitia. I just 236 a helluva lot and take advantage of the fact that the second goes under Mids. O_O. OMG YAY! Not that Cassies 236 isn't awesome in it's own right. 236B:B = Probably the best move in the game. In SC2 236B was the best punisher and I could easily beat average opponents just with that one move and GIs, the fact that I can do an extra move on top of it makes my mouth water.

See, I can't talk like this about Tekken. <3 Soul Calibur.

Is it wrong that talk like that makes me attracted to you?

Lady Selphie
01-04-2006, 03:03 PM
Both of Tekken and Soul Calibur are cool, but I think Tekken is more public than Soul Calibur.

Setzer Gabianni
01-04-2006, 03:22 PM
Tekken, however, just by playing Soul Calibur, I am stuck between the two.

Tekken 5 had a poor story mode. Nothing much changes now. Lee got a /xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif voice...Paul can apparently understand bear speech, and the battles are nice and all that, but it's just the same as ever - Fight. Move on. Fight.

Compared to SC3...at least there was some variety.

However, I have not played the other SC games, so I will say Tekken, as I have played all but one game, but SC3 for current favourite game.

Mo-Nercy
01-05-2006, 02:45 PM
Lee got a /xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif voice.
Lee's supposed to speak fluent Japanese because he was adopted by Heihachi at a young age. How old exactly is unknown but I assume it's not too young as Lee was unable to learn Mishima Fighting Karate. Normally little kids are sponges so the fact that Lee just couldn't "get with" the Mishima Style suggests that he was probably around 8-10ish (my guess). 8-10ish is probably old enough to develop an accent in your speech and seeing how Lee's nationality is Chinese, his Japanese is probably spoken with a Chinese accent.

From my observation, it's a Cantonese accent which is kind of gruff and not as pitchy as Mandarin. Could mean that he's from Hong Kong or some other southern part of China (like me xD)

Man, now if that's not a fanboy's rant I don't know what is. :D. But I used to be quite the Lee Chaolan fan. Maybe it was because I had his hairstyle back in junior high (not the colour though, duh). It's all reflected in my email which to this day is still based on Lee's unblockable attack, Silver Cyclone. Whee.

Ultima Shadow
01-08-2006, 05:26 PM
Soul Caliber. I enjoy making my own characters in SC3 more than the actual fighting in any of the SC or Tekken games. :greenie:

dynek
01-09-2006, 08:51 PM
tekken is a old game i can say it is a classic.. but at the moment the Soul Calibur is just great... and the battle system dont have much difference 'cause de producter is the same as tekken NAMCO

Breine
01-09-2006, 09:45 PM
I honestly don't know. I'm a big fighting game fan, and I'm a trusty fan of both the series. Both are genius and fun games, and they both have a just as interesting cast of characters and story as the other game. I guess I like them both equally. A boring answer, but true. It depends on my mood.

Pouring Rain
01-09-2006, 10:16 PM
I'm sorry, but I like both the same. They're both too fun to play, as well as some extra fighting games.

Awesomeman
01-12-2006, 02:57 AM

They both suck.DOA(Dead or Alive for those who know nothing)is the best!FMVs and a story for every character and the graphics don't suck like in tekken and SCIII

NeoCracker
01-12-2006, 03:16 AM
Also, I never said that each Tekken character had better storys, I said that SC trys to have storys for characters but each of them later seem to follow the same path. I mean, why does every character have to face Zasamel in the clock tower. Also, I dosent make sense in the fact that if you play as Zasamel, you have to face your double

Everyone Fights Zasamel in the clock tower because you find out, if you play his story mode, he is the one manipulating part of the story, making him a very large part in everyones story mode. The only reason I can see for him fighting himself is he wasn't planning to be possessed by the soul caliber, so when he fought with it it was to prevent himself from being controlled, but since it didn't have a form that could fight yet it created a temporary one, the one which looked like Zasamel.

Pheesh
01-12-2006, 03:33 AM
*points to sig* Tekken is just a better fighter. Doomie said that you can win by button mashing which is true, but the game makes it worth grabbing a character, sticking them in practice and learning every move. It's very rewarding to flawlessly beat your friends with a combo that took you a week to perfect.

Plus, the characters are cooler. I mean, tekken's not the one taking soul caliber's characters.

Stay Essential
EE

NeoCracker
01-12-2006, 03:50 AM
I say soulcaliber, Voldo is the SHiznet

Mo-Nercy
01-12-2006, 04:01 AM
Both SC and Tekken have their ways of dissuading button mashers but the fact of the matter is that there will always be at least one character that is really really button mashing friendly. In SC2/3 it's Maxi and in T5 it's Steve. Any half decent player will easily overcome a button masher through good Punisher play.

Beating a button masher in SC2/3 has alwasy been easy for me since my best character also happens to be the best punisher in the game. Cassandra baits the CH and rushes in with a 236B(:B for SC3). Follow up with Cassandra's strong okizeme (wake up game) and you can win a round in just a matter of seconds.

In Tekken, baiting for CH is just a way of life so not being to stop a button masher is indicative of your own ignorance of how this game is supposed to be played. Paul has an awesome SS and SW so landing a CH qcf+2 will cause button mashers to cry. Send them into a wall so you can follow with another just to make it worse. Kazuya players tend to space out really well, looking for that elusive CH EWGF (Electric Wind God Fist). Xiaoyu can HYP and RDS (moves her left and right) away from anything. Finally, Steve is so awesome/broken he doesn't even need to block to beat button mashers. 4, 2. Repeat. Steve wins. Actually scratch that: 1, 2, 1 will interrupt ANYTHING an opponent throws at him anyway.

Markus. D
01-12-2006, 07:39 AM
my data was erased on SC3.

but im fine with starting again.

Madame Adequate
01-12-2006, 10:29 AM
They both suck.DOA(Dead or Alive for those who know nothing)is the best!FMVs and a story for every character and the graphics don't suck like in tekken and SCIII

DoA does rock, but none of the DoAs I've played have given ten seconds to the story. The fighting game's story depth is about the same as DoA Volleyball's story depth.

Breine
01-12-2006, 03:41 PM
DoA does rock, but none of the DoAs I've played have given ten seconds to the story. The fighting game's story depth is about the same as DoA Volleyball's story depth.

I totally agree. Although Dead or Alive is very entertaining to play, the storyline is just plain boring... Which is too bad really.

Ultima Shadow
01-12-2006, 07:28 PM
In fighting games, hot girls out-priorize storyline so DoA wins anyways. :greenie:

Yuffie514
01-13-2006, 08:16 AM
why couldn't it be Tekken vs. Street Fighter or Dead or Alive?

...Iron Fist Tournament.

Mirage
01-13-2006, 12:08 PM
Soul Calibur. I never got into the Tekken games, except 5, which is easily the best of them all. Dead or Alive is ok, but doesn't stand up to either of them.
On a side note, I ordered SC3 yesterday. Finally.

Mo-Nercy
01-13-2006, 12:27 PM
why couldn't it be Tekken vs. Street Fighter or Dead or Alive? well, i always loved the Iron Fist Tournament.
Soul Calibur is a very underrated series. It really is the only TRULY 3D fighter there is on the market right now. No other game incorporates 8 Way movement the way SC has. Most of 3D fighters still use the sidestep system which is a pretty half arsed attempt at a 3D environment. I know some games like DoA do allow characters to step around in any direction but all the moves in DoA are vertical, they only strike forward whereas SC has horizontals, which can catch out a sidestepping opponent. Awesomeness

Dreddz
01-13-2006, 05:04 PM
why couldn't it be Tekken vs. Street Fighter or Dead or Alive? well, i always loved the Iron Fist Tournament.
Cause it was these two that caused the argument in another thread.

Fatal Impurity
01-13-2006, 05:14 PM
most definately soul caliber or possibly soul blade (weapon master rocks even today)

Rocket Edge
01-16-2006, 06:52 PM
i like soul calibur, i even bought the game. but tekken is by far the best in my eyes.

~SapphireStar~
01-16-2006, 08:04 PM
Is it true you can create your own characters for SC3 and use them agaisnt already excisting characters? I havent played it yet, sadly.

Shadow The Red XIII Thing
01-17-2006, 01:15 AM
Tekken was actually the first Playstation game I played therefore it wins

Tifa's Real Lover(really
01-17-2006, 01:20 AM
mortal kombat..............but tekken tag team is good to

Mirage
01-17-2006, 08:35 AM
Is it true you can create your own characters for SC3 and use them agaisnt already excisting characters? I havent played it yet, sadly.
Yes, that's true, and it's lots of fun.

Fatal Impurity
01-17-2006, 11:06 AM
soul calibur will rule forever and ever as the king of fighting games!