PDA

View Full Version : Was FFIX supposed to be the FINAL Final Fantasy?

MJN SEIFER
01-01-2006, 09:15 PM
It's just although it was a brilliant game it spent a lot of time doing "nostaliga" moments was it origanally going to be the last FF game so square got all nostaligic and "Ripped off" the old games in places?

Suikojowy
01-01-2006, 09:23 PM
I personally think that FF9 had a lot of nostalgic moments because the previous Final Fantasies strayed away from their roots and went for a very futuristic theme.
Since a lot of fans started from 7/8, perhaps SS wanted to let them know about the past ff's. *shrug*

RaidenWeb17
01-01-2006, 09:54 PM
FF9 was a tribute to the old school FFs

Slade
01-02-2006, 05:15 AM
IX was the last for the PS1 so they wanted to go out with a bang by doing tributes to the games before it, 'I' through to 'VIII'.

TheKolkster
01-02-2006, 05:25 AM
IX was the last for the PS1 so they wanted to go out with a bang by doing tributes to the games before it, 'I' through to 'VIII'.

Except FFIII :)

HowlingMonkey
01-02-2006, 06:14 PM
Except FFIII :)

What about Une's Mirror and Doga's Artifact?

chronic_Maniac
01-02-2006, 07:15 PM
It was a tribute to me too as It got me into more FF games. As for it to be the last Final Fantasy? It was the last Square soft released FF before going to square Enix. When FF9 was beat I said 'you know they're probally gonna stop FF after this". Well they didn't. It had a love for the old games, that I can tell.

Little Blue
01-02-2006, 07:20 PM
It was a tribute to me too as It got me into more FF games. As for it to be the last Final Fantasy? It was the last Square soft released FF before going to square Enix. When FF9 was beat I said 'you know they're probally gonna stop FF after this". Well they didn't. It had a love for the old games, that I can tell.
Actually, X was a squaresoft release. Squaresoft became Square Enix shortly after. But it was the last PS1 release, and one of the best, and also the first FF I ever played that got me into the series.

Personally, I also think that IX was a tribute to the old school games, since it was the last one that, if written numerically, would be in single digits and that was somehow important to square, but I dont think it was ever going to be the last one

MJN SEIFER
01-02-2006, 08:22 PM
I see.

Slade
01-03-2006, 03:27 AM
What about Une's Mirror and Doga's Artifact?
Yeah that and the music from FFIII you can get to play on the gramaphone at the inn in the Black Mage Village. Or at least I think it was FFIII's, correct me if i'm wrong.

RaidenWeb17
01-03-2006, 08:08 PM
It was FFIII's. I forgot what it was called, but I know it was FFIII's

MJN SEIFER
01-03-2006, 09:18 PM
It was FFIII's. I forgot what it was called, but I know it was FFIII's

"Let Me know the truth"

RaidenWeb17
01-03-2006, 10:31 PM
Oh thank you!

Slade
01-04-2006, 03:39 AM
I think I read somehwere that the music from the Gulug Mountain is from FFIII, or some sort of adaption of it. Then again, maybe I read it wrong and it was a different Final Fantasy game it was from.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
01-04-2006, 04:53 AM
The Mt. Gulug/Gurg/Gurgu music in FFIX is taken from the Gulug/Gurg/Gurgu Volcano music in FFI.

Slade
01-05-2006, 03:41 AM
I knew it was one of the earlier games. Thanks Kawaii :D

Raven Nox
01-05-2006, 06:52 AM
Actually, X was a squaresoft release. Squaresoft became Square Enix shortly after.

Final Fantasy X-2 was also a Squaresoft release, and it was the last game released under the name. By the time it reach North America and the rest of the world, the company was Square Enix, but it's a Squaresoft title in Japan.

Final Fantasy IX was made the way it was simply to get back to it's roots, it was never ment to be the last one.

boys from the dwarf
01-05-2006, 07:43 AM
it was supposed to have a lot of tribute but i cant see how anyone could think it isnt a proper FF, i think this is the best FF game ever.

Euan_hmfc
01-08-2006, 10:16 AM
Final Fantasy X-2 was also a Squaresoft release, and it was the last game released under the name. By the time it reach North America and the rest of the world, the company was Square Enix, but it's a Squaresoft title in Japan.

Final Fantasy IX was made the way it was simply to get back to it's roots, it was never ment to be the last one.

That's actually rather positive.

I am one of these people who had thought/thinks that the reason for Squares' recent demise was the merge with Enix. Since it was a Squaresoft game, there must be other reasons.

Lychon
01-11-2006, 07:37 PM
Final Fantasy IX had a reference to FFVIII? I haven't played the game; is it a song, character, etc..?

RaidenWeb17
01-11-2006, 10:51 PM
the only one I can think of is when Marcus is talking at the end of the game during the play and says "No cloud or squall shall hinder us!"

Slade
01-12-2006, 05:11 AM
Garnet was based off Rinoa and Tifa (Fusion!). So you could call that an FFVIII reference. Some of the musics from IX are similar to VIIIs music too. The ones I can think of off the top of my head are:

'Assult of the White Dragons' - 'Movin' ----These two were quite similar.

'Hunters Chance' - 'The Landing' ----The first time I played the game I said 'hey this is from VIII!'

'Hilda Guarde' - 'Ragnarok' ---- Its possible to hear the same tune in both the airships musics.

Of course, these could be flukes, but they would have to be pretty big flukes ;)

FinalCetra
01-17-2006, 08:41 AM
When I played FFIX, the first one i noticed was the...lindblum? weapon shop? Where Zidane sais "I used to know a guy with spikey haird that used swords like these."

I never did notice the other ffvii/viii ones except the end that someone else mentioned. I haven't played any earlier FF than FFVII, so I wouldn't know about them. FFVIII was my very first FF, then I went to FFVII, and from there played them in order.