PDA

View Full Version : Dragon Quest VIII vs. Final Fantasy VIII

dustdust
01-03-2006, 03:55 AM
Which one is better and why?

Vaprice
01-03-2006, 03:58 AM
Dragon Quest is good, but FFVIII has established so much fanatic fanbasing becuase it's such a bigger game internationally. Dragon quest is only known mostly in Japan. It died out years ago in America...

Dignified Pauper
01-03-2006, 07:21 AM
I'm pretty sure FFVIII is one of the worst games made. That's my reason.

Xaven
01-03-2006, 07:50 AM
I have no idea considering I've never played any Dragon Quest before.

I know that deep down, I'm way biased towards FFVIII anyway, so that would probably get my vote. I'll refrain from doing so to make it fair.

Zeromus_X
01-03-2006, 08:02 AM
i dont see how you can consider it a fair match , as DQ VIII was just released, and DQ games in general arent as popular as ffs outside Japan, as well as FFVIII having a ginourmous fan base...

then again, i dont like comparing things as "better" anyway. :cat:

crazybayman
01-03-2006, 08:52 PM
I'm pretty sure FFVIII is one of the worst games made. That's my reason.
I'm pretty sure you're pretty wrong.

DQVIII is starting to annoy me. Every frickin dungeon takes hours, and there isn't a lot of flow to the storyline. And the music really gets to me.

I've put it down temporarily, and have since gone back to FFVII and FFX.

Zeromus_X
01-03-2006, 10:03 PM
I'm pretty sure you're pretty wrong.

DQVIII is starting to annoy me. Every frickin dungeon takes hours, and there isn't a lot of flow to the storyline. And the music really gets to me.

I've put it down temporarily, and have since gone back to FFVII and FFX.
how far have you gotten? youd probably like the story better once you complete it.

and dungeons shouldnt take hours.

~SapphireStar~
01-03-2006, 10:13 PM
Never played a DQ game and FF8 was the first FF I ever played and the first RPG I played also, so it holds special memories for me over any game.

Black Mage
01-04-2006, 01:13 AM
FFVIII was one of the worst FF games created, and DQVIII is wonderful in most every aspect.

Tough choice.

Rattler
01-04-2006, 05:01 AM
Why does everybody hate FFVIII so much?

That was my favourite!

Winter Nights
01-04-2006, 05:18 AM
I haven't played DQVIII in full, but I played the demo. It bored the living crap out of me and the animation was /xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif.

FFVIII is one of my favorite FFs and pretty good visuals at the time.

Tough choice.

Zeromus_X
01-04-2006, 05:56 AM
well, you cant really base the whole game on the demo...:rolleyes2

a nirvana fan
01-04-2006, 10:08 AM
I would say Final Fantasy VIII due to the fact it is so good, sure Dragon Quest VIII is good, but not as good as FF8..never.

Dignified Pauper
01-04-2006, 12:08 PM
Man, the sarcasm in this thread with all the votes for FFVIII is really funny. Seriously guys... i thought this was an actual discussion, not a satire filled comedy.

?????
01-04-2006, 12:53 PM
Comparison:

FFVIII
Has several of the series' best tunes.
Pretty original battle mechanics; the learning curve is a bit steep, but once you've mastered them you're unstoppable.
Has FRICKIN' SWEET GUNBLADES AND FLYING SCHOOLS!
The storyline is a bit dysfunctional, unfortunately, but...

DQVIII
Fails the Internet in every possible aspect except Jessica's hooters and the FFXII demo.

Zeromus_X
01-04-2006, 07:28 PM
i give up trying to defend DQVIII :cat:

especially from people that haven't even finished the game.

Soul of Tarsis
01-04-2006, 07:46 PM
Considering that to most FF fans, Dragon Quest VIII is 'That game that came with the FFXII Demo', I'm not surprised it's getting its arse kicked right now.

Paninipower123
01-04-2006, 08:11 PM
Dragon Quest is good.
But Final Fantasy 8 is great.

Battle wise and stroy wise, excellent.
Dragon Quest just doesn\'t have that Oomph.

Zeromus_X
01-04-2006, 09:11 PM
then i find it funny that people paid 50 $ just for a demo...

Dignified Pauper
01-04-2006, 10:18 PM
Man, the sarcasm in this thread with all the votes for FFVIII is really funny. Seriously guys... i thought this was an actual discussion, not a satire filled comedy.

crazybayman
01-05-2006, 12:41 AM
how far have you gotten? youd probably like the story better once you complete it.

and dungeons shouldnt take hours.
I currently am: just after getting the Godbird's son, and I went to the High Priest's mansion on that floating rock, and overheard the High Priest's conversation with Marcello
I just got a wee bit bored with it, and went back to FFVII. Then I went back to DQVIII and then went to FFX and FFVIII. I'll go back to DQVIII shortly.

In particular the Pirate's cave and Dragon's Graveyard
took me longer than I would have liked. I found this with most dungeons/towers/whatever. Likewise with Rydon's Tower

Don't get me wrong, I do like the game, and I think its great. Just not quite up to the level of Final Fantasy, IMO. I've just gotten a bit bored with it. The first time I played just about every FF, (FFX and FFVIII in particular, those are my favorites) I found that I couldn't put it down. DQVIII however, is a different story.

I think the thing that boils me the most is the fact that you have to go find a church and talk to some stupid priest in order to save the game. I'm spoiled to savepoints and saving anywhere on the world map, I guess.

Plus, I'm not a such big fan of cartoons (or anime, to many of you), since I passed 10 years of age.

Dragon Quest is good.
But Final Fantasy 8 is great.

Battle wise and stroy wise, excellent.
Dragon Quest just doesn\'t have that Oomph.
Most definitely. The storyline is a little weak, so far. As well, I think the fact that it's a cartoon makes me not take it as seriously as FF. Call me shallow, but I guess I can't get past that.

?????
01-05-2006, 01:22 AM
You aren't shallow for judging something based on appearances. It's your right. If they're trying to convey a serious story, they shouldn't have made all the characters appear equivalent to Saturday morning children's fare. Aesthetics plays a VERY important role in video games; if the developers choose to ignore it, it's their problem, not yours, if the style rubs you wrong. Anyone who would call you shallow solely for this is being a pretentious fool.

I Took the Red Pill
01-05-2006, 01:36 AM
I really like DQVIII and wasn't too crazy about FFVIII. DQ kind of makes you feel like a kid again when you play it and the crisp animations are nice to look at. Plus, it doesn't present a level of difficulty that would be considered frustrating

Dreddz
01-05-2006, 02:25 AM
There both great games, even though FFVIII is one of my least favourite FF's. It is still a great game that knocks DQVIII face to the floor.

Zeromus_X
01-05-2006, 02:54 AM
i dont remember jessica in any of my old saturday morning cartoons:p

DJZen
01-05-2006, 03:43 AM
You aren't shallow for judging something based on appearances. It's your right. If they're trying to convey a serious story, they shouldn't have made all the characters appear equivalent to Saturday morning children's fare. Aesthetics plays a VERY important role in video games; if the developers choose to ignore it, it's their problem, not yours, if the style rubs you wrong. Anyone who would call you shallow solely for this is being a pretentious fool.

Man, you're so deep.

Yuffie514
01-06-2006, 08:25 PM
Final Fantasy VIII is a classic. 7 years in America, but still great and new to me...

The New Kid
01-06-2006, 11:53 PM
FFVIII had major flaws in its Junctioning system. Once you figure it all out, the game is just way too friggin' easy. The GF animations were lovely though, and the storyline wasn't too embarassing. I won't say it's one of the better Final Fantasies, because it's not.

DQVIII hasn't been out for too long, but it's still a fine-ass game. Pretty graphics, a well-thought-out plot (even if it's very simple, sometimes it's good to tune out and not care about story), and great gameplay.

I'm giving it to DQVIII. I don't need an epic story to enjoy a game.

Mythra
01-26-2006, 03:11 PM
I really liked the story in FFVIII, along with junctioning and the battle system. I really couldn't stand the slower paced story and battles of DQVIII, So Final Fantasy VIII gets my vote

Ishin Ookami
01-26-2006, 05:04 PM
I was initially drawn to FFVIII's graphics and FMV, lets face it the game was positively stunning for its time, and the designs of the sets used in the game was very well done, but the storyline was atrocious. Its almost as if Nomura watched every shojo anime of all time, took every cliche ever used, and patched it all together without any real care or thought. Rinoa's rather slutty past (she slept with seifer without hardly knowing him) and her inexplicable attraction to squall (must have been the gunblade) just made me like her even less. Squall's character progression was unexplained and inexplicably radical, and the other characters didnt really get any development at all after disk 1, save for the nauseating orphenage scene. And the junction system was a nice thought, but it was utterly busted overall. Drawing took forever. and what kind of global dysfunction is rampant in this world when I cant even use a potion unless I have one of the only two GF's in existance that bestow the ability to take a sip of one.

DQIII on the otherhand is perfect. so much to do, so much to find, so much to create. Its story is just perfect with likeable characters and a fun plot. Its battles and dungeons are all challenging, as it should be. I really cant think of anything bad to say about the game. Its RPG perfection (which is what Ive come to expect from DQ over the years).

yunafan11
01-26-2006, 06:46 PM
Final Fantasy Viii hands down. I mean, I really don't like Dragon Quest. I mean, its fun and all, but I don't like the look of it.

Slayer1514
01-27-2006, 01:14 AM
i've bought and played both but i can get into FFVIII's storyline a whole lot easier.

Havoc
01-28-2006, 04:26 PM
Dragon Quest's cheese factor drags it down toward the end, so I'll have to say FFVIII. But DQVIII is still a fabulous RPG, though.