PDA

View Full Version : Should it have been called Final Fantasy 11?

chronic_Maniac
01-03-2006, 06:16 AM
I've played every Final Fantasy out there. each one that went to far from what other Final Fantasy's were wasn't given a number, like tactics. Should this game really have been added on to the other FF's or should it have been called something else? No matter what though it was a final fantasy but to me it impressed me as much as spirits within.

I would have called it Final Fantasy Vana 'Diel Not FF11!!!!

Markus. D
01-03-2006, 06:42 AM
Final Fantasy Vana 'Diel just doesnt have the same... ring to it.

the story is so neat though.

and the battle system eventually gets so engageing.

so, if you were not impressed, well, play for a couple more months.

Miriel
01-03-2006, 06:52 AM
Why shouldn't it have been called XI? A great deal of elements that have existed throughout the Final Fantasy series was incorporated into this game and it's just as much a Final Fantasy game as every other installment of the series. I have no idea why so many people are so adamant that it should have been called something else. I think the only reason for this is for those collecter type people who like to say that they've played every single Final Fantasy and are disgruntled at not being able to play FFXI and thus ruining their perfect record.

Not that I would have minded if it were called Final Fantasy Online or something, but seriously, does it even matter that much?

Lionx
01-03-2006, 07:08 AM
Who gives a crap?

The story rivals any other MMO out there and is really engaging even if its a single player game.

Would have..should have..could have....it is and thats too bad.

SoulTaker*
01-03-2006, 08:07 AM
It should have been called Final Fantasy online if anything, it really doesnt bother me though, infact I dont think I've really thought about it till now.

Yeargdribble
01-03-2006, 09:57 AM
I have to admit this does bother me slightly. I wish it had been called FF Online or something. I think FF XI has quite a bit of life left in it but one day... it will end. It will make me sad not to just be able to pick it up off of the shelf as a part of my complete collection and give it a whirl.

You won't be able to tell someone how cool this old skool game was and have them give it a go 15 years from now like you can with FF I. I think it will last at least 10 years (looking at the life spans of other MMOs) but after 15 years... I just dunno and that will suck.

I wish they'd kept it out of the numerical series.

chronic_Maniac
01-03-2006, 07:00 PM
Thats all that I'm saying Final Fantasy online does sound better then my Final Fantasy Vana 'Diel but being "11". I just don't know. FF 1-9 had a evil guy in it that was human. 10 had sin 10 - 2 had vegnagun and "11" has a endless mindless monster attack. Don't get me wrong I have the game and I play it often. I have also played every other FF out in the usa. I just don't get it. The side quests are all there is. The storyline is almost completly opptional. I didn't mind 10 where you could change your characters in battle cause it had that old entrence to battle, like in 7 it swirled and 10 it broke pieces like glass. in 11 you find the creatures and select attack, there is no change from fight to walk that much.

Lionx
01-03-2006, 07:19 PM
You lost all credibility..>_>

You probably arent even high lvled enough to see anything. There IS a main evil guy on two expansions, and the 3rd one COP is pretty amazing so far.

The story is optional yes, but its very interesting and if you pursue it, areas open up like TuLia, or Lufaise Meadows. It helps bring you closer to the world. Best part is that most of these require party, and beating them with friends shows what FF is about. Its hard, its rewarding when you finally beat it together.

There are some standard quests but some of them are incredibly deep for a sidequest, you just need to find them :P Sandy has one for medevial collar, and each AF is very deep IMO for a side quest.

And you shouldnt compare an MMORPG's way of fighting to a traditional RPGs, you will just lose out..compare it to World of Warcraft or EverquestII...FFXI has a pretty deep fighting system as far as MMOs go.

FFXI=more people will buy rather than FFOnline, so its good marketing strategy i would do it too.

Miriel
01-03-2006, 08:08 PM
Thats all that I'm saying Final Fantasy online does sound better then my Final Fantasy Vana 'Diel but being "11". I just don't know. FF 1-9 had a evil guy in it that was human. 10 had sin 10 - 2 had vegnagun and "11" has a endless mindless monster attack. Don't get me wrong I have the game and I play it often. I have also played every other FF out in the usa. I just don't get it. The side quests are all there is. The storyline is almost completly opptional. I didn't mind 10 where you could change your characters in battle cause it had that old entrence to battle, like in 7 it swirled and 10 it broke pieces like glass. in 11 you find the creatures and select attack, there is no change from fight to walk that much.

How far into the game did you even get. Cause like lionx already posted, there is a main bad guy, and the storyline is pretty awesome, especially once you get into the CoP missions. I mean, there is an entire site (http://historyofvanadiel.shadow-ffxi.com/) dedicated to the history and storyline of FFXI, and I enjoy the plot of FFXI as much as I have of the other Final Fantasy games. Really, you couldn't have gotten far into the game if you can dismiss it as "mindless monster attack."

Markus. D
01-03-2006, 10:56 PM
as I said before, Play for a few more months before you judge.

now, Maple Story is a mindless monster attack.

DMKA
01-04-2006, 04:01 AM
Who gives a crap?
Me, and about a million other people.

I think it should of been called "Final Fantasy Online".

Qurange
01-04-2006, 04:34 AM
Well, I do think it should have been called FF Online, and been removed from the numbered listings, but still called an FF. After all, Final Fantasy Tactics was a wonderful game, but it was different enough from the rest that it was made with its own names. FFXI should have been the same way.

However, I'm not too put out by it. It's Final Fantasy XI, so it's FFXI. It would've been nice if it hadn't been online-only, but it's not as if they're going to be repeating it, so no big deal. I might even play more of it, if I get some extra money to burn.

DMKA
01-04-2006, 03:48 PM
I think the only reason for this is for those collecter type people who like to say that they've played every single Final Fantasy and are disgruntled at not being able to play FFXI and thus ruining their perfect record.
Exactly. That's what annoys me about it...it's titled as if it's one of the games in the main series, when it isn't. I don't play or collect the others, and that throws off the entire numbering system.

Or atleast, I wasn't going to bother with it, but I have it now and can say I've played it. I'll just never be able to say I've completed it. =[

Markus. D
01-04-2006, 11:51 PM
then what are we going to call ffxii huh?

Final Fantasy Offline.

see, thats just getting dumb.

its XI, it stays XI.

vampirepiggyhunter7
01-05-2006, 01:03 AM
I agree that it shouldve been called FF Online, but look how long 12 is taking. If people wouldve waited that long for XI they wouldve went off the deep end. Even though I cant play FF XI cuz of the monthly fees.
Did u no theres only 2 ps2 FFXI copies left in English in the world?! And my computer wouldnt work probably. And x-box 360 can sniff my droppings.

Germ Hamee
01-05-2006, 02:19 AM
...guys. There are so many weightier topics. Get over it. There's a thick story there, and all the FF elements in the mix. Just because it's experimental doesn't mean it shouldn't be numbered. It's the same as any other FF title, except you can play it with other people, and it's always expanding. That does not warrant any hooplah.

Lionx
01-05-2006, 06:02 AM
Exactly. That's what annoys me about it...it's titled as if it's one of the games in the main series, when it isn't. I don't play or collect the others, and that throws off the entire numbering system.

Or atleast, I wasn't going to bother with it, but I have it now and can say I've played it. I'll just never be able to say I've completed it. =[

(Thats too bad)>_>;

Vyk
01-05-2006, 06:57 AM
I'm gonna say it shoulda been FFO despite its story elements or nods with creatures and references and jobs and such. Final Fantasys have been RPGs. FF11 is an MMORPG. Its very... what's the word... discriminant? People that are incapable of paying a monthly fee are excluded from the fun. You don't get that from any other FF.

Also, it is simply more of a spin-off of FF norms. I'm not gonna start the whole "It doesn't have the spirit of a FF" rant, but it is a little too different from the norm. Much like Tactics got its own little sub-title without a number.

Black Mage
01-05-2006, 07:45 AM
I'm gonna say it shoulda been FFO despite its story elements or nods with creatures and references and jobs and such. Final Fantasys have been RPGs. FF11 is an MMORPG. Its very... what's the word... discriminant? People that are incapable of paying a monthly fee are excluded from the fun. You don't get that from any other FF.

That doesn't make any sense. By that logic, every other entry in the Final Fantasy series is "discriminant" against those who are incapable of buying them. They're excluded from the fun.

Exactly. That's what annoys me about it...it's titled as if it's one of the games in the main series, when it isn't.

I don't understand. It is one of the games in the main series. If the title isn't the criteria, I don't see what is.

I find the numbering of FFXI to be perfectly fine. The Final Fantasy Tactics example is really the only good argument I've ever heard against its entry into the main series. However, had Final Fantasy Tactics been labeled "Final Fantasy VIII" I'd have enjoyed it just as much. I wonder if people would have been all up in arms about that.

This also makes me wonder what people will say when FFXII is released.

Markus. D
01-05-2006, 08:50 AM
I know, lets change FFVII to FF prekingdom hearts shall we.

and while we are at it... lets change FFVIII to FF Ultimecia.

Garland
01-05-2006, 09:00 AM
I think if FFXI is a reasonable name, than FFTactics should've been FFVIII and all the other numbers bumped up one. I think FFXI is as much a spinoff from the main franchise as FFTactics was. Both certainly deviate from the norm enough to warrant a spinoff title. Still, I'm not bothered either way.

ljkkjlcm9
01-05-2006, 09:38 AM
well see the interesting thing is FFTactics was a spinoff, but FFXII is based on the world of Tactics, but it's numbered in the main series, it really doesn't make any logical sense except in a marketing strategy, and actually, any FFXI commercial calls it FFXI Online, so it isn't just FFXI.
And whoever is being stupid about changing the previous FF names to something like Pre-KH, KH started as a disney thing and they went to the best RPG makers for help to make it great(kinda like Nintendo did with the original Mario RPG)...
Anyways, it's called FFXI Online, people just dropped the online part and refer to it as XI, like shortening anything to make it easier to say.

THE JACKEL

Markus. D
01-05-2006, 10:25 AM
im not being stupid, im being enraged.

ljkkjlcm9
01-05-2006, 10:30 AM
im not being stupid, im being enraged.
letting rage take control leads to acts of stupidity, so they're one in the same

THE JACKEL

Qurange
01-05-2006, 11:26 AM
From what I've heard, FFXII is actually based in FFTA's Ivalice, which just makes that even stranger.

Sadly.

But really, though it might be nice if they had been more consistent and just let it be outside the main series, it's not as if it's an awful thing that they didn't. The topic as a whole is certainly nothing to get angry over, and if it is, then I think a life outside video games is in order. As far as I know, no one is saying that FFXI is a horrible game; they're just saying that, logically, it shouldn't have been numbered, just like FFT--also an awesome game without the number.

A name, though, is in the end just a name.

nik0tine
01-05-2006, 12:03 PM
I'd have called it something else. I don't think it really needs, or deserves a number.

ScottNUMBERS
01-05-2006, 12:35 PM
Me, and about a million other people.

I think it should of been called "Final Fantasy Online".
:aimkiss:

DMKA
01-05-2006, 02:42 PM
then what are we going to call ffxii huh?

Final Fantasy Offline.

see, thats just getting dumb.
Try reading my earlier post and using your common sense. No one is saying it should be changed. The game already has a name and it's done with, but that doesn't make it any less annoying and pointless. It should of been called Final Fantasy Online and then Final Fantasy XII should of been Final Fantasy XI.

For furture refference, try using capitals, paragraphs, addition, and reading of the posts that you're miscommenting on before you comment on them, thanks.

Lionx
01-05-2006, 02:44 PM
Its Final Fantasy XI Online kthx :o

Vyk
01-05-2006, 10:56 PM
They probably should just stop numbering them all together, before we end up with something long and ungainly like Final Fantasy XVIII...

Yeargdribble
01-05-2006, 11:59 PM
I personally like the Roman numerals. It bothers me that peope are so afraid they won't be able to learn 1 new Roman numeral every 1.5 years. It's not that hard people.

chronic_Maniac
01-06-2006, 05:13 AM
When I posted this thread I said it impressed me as much as spirits within. I just wanna say I own and watch that movie. I'm not saying I hate it. I'm saying its to off the wall to really stick with some fans. Some people can't afford $3.25 first character 25cents for new one. Also a $12.75 monthly fee. What it also misses to me is a main character like any Final Fantasy before its time. I know you are your own main character cause I played the game. Comments to bad mouth someone is just to discriminating.

What I'm really trying to say is how can you put it in the series with it being nothing like those before!!!!!!!!!!!

Miriel
01-06-2006, 05:24 AM
Chill out, man.

First of all, the game is $12.95 a month, and that includes your first character, and every additional character after that is $1.00 per character.

Every new Final Fantasy is different from the previous one. And they can put it in the series, because they wanted to, and that's that.

I can only assume by your extravagant use of exclamation marks, that you're traumatized by this decision on Squeenix's part. Don't be. Everything will be ok. FFXI is a great game, and it deserves to have a place in the numbered lineup.

ljkkjlcm9
01-06-2006, 06:03 AM
I love the roman numerals, they all should have had them, cause then when we get to something like, FF 44, it'll be FFXLIV SWEET! and extra large IV, in my arm! (cause at that point you'll actually be the game and live it!)

THE JACKEL

Markus. D
01-06-2006, 07:13 AM
letting rage take control leads to acts of stupidity, so they're one in the same

THE JACKAL

nonono, Enraged.

Lionx
01-06-2006, 08:20 AM
When I posted this thread I said it impressed me as much as spirits within. I just wanna say I own and watch that movie. I'm not saying I hate it. I'm saying its to off the wall to really stick with some fans. Some people can't afford $3.25 first character 25cents for new one. Also a $12.75 monthly fee. What it also misses to me is a main character like any Final Fantasy before its time. I know you are your own main character cause I played the game. Comments to bad mouth someone is just to discriminating.

What I'm really trying to say is how can you put it in the series with it being nothing like those before!!!!!!!!!!!

There are main characters for each storyline...like Aldo, Gilglamesh, Ajildo-Marujido, Ayame, even Cid etc... and they are all pretty rememberable characters. That if you cant pay a fee, then dont play a MMO of this calibur.

EDIT: Holy crap lol xD I am sorry for all those out there! *fixes tag*

escobert
01-06-2006, 10:17 AM
you might want to fix that spoiler tag :p
And I don;t think that FFXI shoudl be XI but hey why the hell should I care? It's a game play it. Who care what it's called.

UltimateSpamGrover
01-09-2006, 02:39 AM
FF2: OMG It DOESNT HAVE EXP! THIS ISNT FF!

FF4: OMG IT ISNT ON NES WTF NOT FF!

FF7: OMG THEY NOT ON NINTENDO ANYMORE! THIS ISNT A FF!

FF9: WTF A CHAR WITH A TAIL, NOT FF!

FF10: Y DO THEY HAVE ANOTHER BLOND CHAR! THIS ISNT FF!

FF10-2: THIS ISNT FF, ITS A SEQUEL!

FF11: OMG ITS ONLINE! Y!?

People are going to complain no matter what S-E does. Yes, they could have named it FF Online, but then people would complain that it should be FF11. S-E can't please everybody. Don't expect them to.

DJZen
01-09-2006, 06:13 AM
What's in a name? Would not a rose by any other name smell as sweet?