PDA

View Full Version : Voice Acting ! really ruins the fantasy

ADAMeDISCO
01-05-2006, 12:32 PM
so what do you ppl think ? agree or disagree ! i really hate what S-E are doing to the series thesedays they have turned it into a commercial chick-flick oriented game and top that wit the voice acting seriously who wants to play a game like FFX where the lady whos inlove with the guy never says his NAME not even once cuz u have the option to change it at the begening (am talking abt Yuna nd Tidus) imo voice acting really ruined the enigma nd imagination that we biuld up around the charecters as the game progressed. i really miss the good old days of FF:rolleyes2

Soul of Tarsis
01-05-2006, 12:43 PM
Wow, you know you’ve been on the net too long when you can read that abomination and actually work out what half of it means…

First of all, Enix had nothing to do with FFX, or even FFX-2. Second, voice acting allows for greater emotional depth than text boxes could EVER hope for. The voice acting in FFX/X-2 was generally very good; the only problem was Yuna's monotonous 'yes' answers.

TheSpoonyBard
01-05-2006, 01:46 PM
If you don't like it put the subtitles on, turn the volume down on your TV and listen to a CD.

Also, SE haven't turned the series into a 'comercial chick-flick oriented game' - that was just FFX-2.

YTDN
01-05-2006, 04:44 PM
Well, i prefer the old final fantasy games without the voice acting. Mainly because me and my sis would do our own voice acting. We ROCK at it. but when we turn off the sound on a voice acted game, we end up just trying to imitate the voice actors

My sister would always do the bad guy voices, And I would do the wimpy/ hyperactive girl voices. We'd share out the male voice acting.

Please do not post twice in a row, use the edit/delete button instead.

~Void

Azure Chrysanthemum
01-05-2006, 04:58 PM
The Japanese voice acting cast is generally quite good. The problem arises when Square-Enix attempts to get voice actors in America, as they don't have a lot of clout. Unless, of course, they're working with Disney, as Disney is well-known in America and has the ability to get access to the good voice actors.

Prancing Mad
01-05-2006, 10:46 PM
YEAH! When my buddies and I played FF7 through together, I used to do most of the voices. The girls were scared of my calm composed sephiroth voice :)

XxSephirothxX
01-05-2006, 11:15 PM
I think good voice acting serves to make a game all the more immersive. Bad voice acting, however, can really ruin the mood of a scenario in a way text can't. If they're good, voice acting is better; if they suck, then I'd prefer not to have it at all. Kingdom Hearts was good, and I didn't like Final Fantasy X at first (mostly due to Tidus, though Yuna was annoying at times also) but I suppose I got used to it, because I thought it was pretty well done, overall--not great, but a good first attempt.

Miriel
01-05-2006, 11:29 PM
Second, voice acting allows for greater emotional depth than text boxes could EVER hope for. The voice acting in FFX/X-2 was generally very good; the only problem was Yuna's monotonous 'yes' answers.
Actually, it doesn't. Not for me at least. With the previous FF games, I could read the text and my mind could give them the voices and nuances I felt was appropriate for the characters. With FFX... arrrgh. It was just so grating. I'm fairly positive that had it not been for the voices, I would have actually enjoyed this game.

But I will agree with Azar that good acting does make for a more enjoyable experience than text alone. But Disney has always done quality stuff with their voice-acting. Squeenix has not.

RaidenWeb17
01-06-2006, 01:58 AM
I dont really care. I'll play it either way

Slade
01-06-2006, 03:30 AM
I dont really care. I'll play it either way
Pretty much the same for me. Although I do prefer the text boxes.

Rocket Edge
01-07-2006, 01:16 AM
i have to say i prefer the voice acting, although come to think of it, playing viii with voice acting would have ruined it...:confused:

~SapphireStar~
01-07-2006, 02:25 AM
YEAH! When my buddies and I played FF7 through together, I used to do most of the voices. The girls were scared of my calm composed sephiroth voice
I thought I was the only one who acted it out :D

But I didnt mind the voice acting.

blackmage_nuke
01-07-2006, 02:25 AM
Well I think the first time they did voice acting was pretty bad, but they seem to be getting better at it, Though I found that it was a bit better in the early ff's without voice acting, but it was a bit annoying having to continually press X (or O) during the really long scenes. With the voices i can simply get a snack or something when there is a really long scene ive seen over and over and just watch it.

Vyk
01-07-2006, 02:34 AM
It really depends on who or what is behind it. You can have good voice acting like in KOTOR trouncing bad text boxes like in FF4. Or you can have excellent dialogue text like in Xenogears trouncing bad attempts at monkey speech in games like Resident Evil. If they can do it well, they can do whatever they want. But I'm lazy and I think I would prefer a more immersive vocalized dialogue. Makes it seem that much more real to me.

YTDN
01-07-2006, 12:54 PM
I once made my sis cry with my excellent voice acting of Rinoa outsdie Edea's house. You'know, that scene when Squall says "I'll be waiting, here". I was reallly good at it!:)

DJZen
01-07-2006, 07:11 PM
The voice acting is fun. Video games are fun. I think Squenix is doing just fine.

xtreme112
01-10-2006, 01:08 AM
I like having a combination of both, the voices and subtitles at the bottom gave it a more cinematic feel when in just a regular scene. And If you're playing impatiently you can sometimes miss a bit the speech or misread it, whereas words and tones work much better to give a better implacation.
Then again the speechboxes were too classic to ignore, they definately added to the rpg element.

starseeker
01-14-2006, 10:41 AM
Yeah, but having to listen to the voice acting again and again if it was before a hard boss was annoying if it couldn't be skipped. with text boxes you just kept on pressing X until the fight started.

Setzer Gabianni
01-14-2006, 12:41 PM
What annoys me sometimes is when a lot of the characters have american like accents. No offense to the americans, its just with many games as well i guess. Still, they're all pretty suited to each character.