PDA

View Full Version : RPG FPS 3D Adventure what?

Captain Maxx Power
01-05-2006, 04:50 PM
This stems from a discussion I was having with Jeremy about naming conventions of games. It just occured to me suddenly that many of the "standard" names used to describe a game are so ludicrously out of date or innacurate it's ludicrous.

The cause of this? The new Resident Evil 4 game. Considering the sheer change in the way in which the game operates it means the term survival horror no longer applies. My personal opinion was that it's nearer Zombie Pwnage 5000.

http://media.rawice.com/features/146.jpg

Zombies being distinctly pwned

The term survival horror in itself is somewhat misleading. Let's take the dictionary definitions of each:

Survival : The act or process of surviving
Horror : An intense, painful feeling of repugnance and fear

So what we have is literally survivng a painful feeling of fear. Taking this logic into account you could call many games "Survival Horror", but perhaps my favourite is Pacman. Yes you're surviving. Yes you feel a painful feeling of fear (when you're so near that Hi-Score mark) when those Ghosts flax you within one of those claustrophobic tunnels. Yet there's no zombies, no mutants, and no massive corporations. There are ghosts however.

http://www.thinkgeek.com/images/products/additional/large/namco-pacman.jpg

A terrifying glimpse of the future, where evil overules the land and the common populace is downtrodden. Only one man can save us. PacMan!

Then there's everyone's favourite beary-weirdy genre, RPGs. If you don't like RPGs then chances are you've accidentally found this page on Google. Now go away. For the rest of us I'm sure you're more than aware of the term RPG meaning "Role Playing Game". You have a role, you play it, and it's a game. Let's see that might include Half Life, Sonic, Doom, Mavis Davis Typing Tutor, Galaga, Splinter Cell, Max Payne. And what else? O yeah, Crazy Frog Racing.

http://img.gamespot.com/gamespot/images/2003/all/boxshots2/929006_68478.jpg

Crazy Frog Racing - Truly an RPG by it's very defintion

Now onto FPS's's's, or First Person Shooters. These would be games where you are in the first person perspective (the same perspective as, say, a brain eating maggot attempting to feast on your eyes). The otherside of this is third person shooters (the same perspective as a startled passer-by as your eyes explode). Note the lack of capitalisation. That's because there's no such thing as a TPS. Think about it, when was the last time anyone used the term TPS ever? That's right, never (NB. Please ignore those last two uses of the term TPS. And that one). They're usually just called bog-standard "Shooters" or "Action" games. Action of course being The state or process of acting or doing. Besides any Pet Rock Simulators that may have come out, there's a whole load of Action in any game.

http://photos.yafro.com/pics3/i/20060105/08/2/b/0/2b0ef8abe652878ac847dd74b8950e04200601050_full.jpg

Virtual Rock - A game of Epicly Boring Proportions

Of course lest we forget the naming conventions of geek and magazine publication. The -'em-up suffix. Shorthand for "them up", it was originally concieved by a Japanese company to describe their latest game, taking the Metallica Album "Kill 'Em All", engrishing it, and coming up with Shoot-'Em-Up. So far, so alright. But it's when this affix is used on other "genres" that problems arise. I've seen Build-'Em-Ups, Swim-'Em-Ups, Farm-'Em-Ups, Parachute-'Em-Ups, Paris-Shoot-'Em-Ups, Paris-Hilton-Shoot-'Em-Ups and perhaps my personal favourite Sex-'Em-Up. Just to clarify what these titles mean is to do an action towards a certain thing. So you would be building somehting, swimming at something, farming something, parachuting at something, shooting Parisians, shooting Paris Hilton(s) and sexing things. Kinky.

http://www.geocities.com/jaapsch/puzzles/images/rackemup.jpg

The world's first Rack-'Em-Up. Rack anything, even racks themselves!

Then comes a naming convention so stupid and silly that they had to shorthand it down because people kept spitting on it in the streets. I speak of course of MMOG's, or MMORPG's. Standing for Massively Multiplayer Online Games (or previously Massively Multiplayer Online Role Playing Games. The acronym doesn't seem so bad now does it?), these usually include games involving large numbers of people on the same server in a persistent world. But surely something better than "Massively" could have been coined? I think PMOG's, Persistant Multiplayer Online Games would be much better, and a lot less silly. Heck, let's cut the crap and just call them GWALOP's, i.e. Games With A Lot Of Players. Then again the whole GWALOP's might not applied to everygame of this type. Just look at Star Wars Galaxies.

http://static.flickr.com/3/2953077_96ad707c6d_m.jpg

Chewie no! Don't install the combat upgrade!

And this isn't even include many other names, such as Simulators (I once wrote a program that retyped everything you typed back, doesn't make it a Simulator), Stragedy (Tactics outside of the likes of C&C? Never! I just use a crowbar in HL), Adventure (going for a pint of milk classifies as an Adventure, but I sure wouldn't want a game out of it) and Fighting (I'll be honest I don't have a joke for this one). Maybe when we get around to sorting ourselves out and stop trying to classify games with titles that make no sense will we finally stop being so ridiculed and looked down upon by the rest of society. Until then I'm off to play my favourite GWALOP, GW. TTFN.

Dreddz
01-05-2006, 04:59 PM
Whats up with that first picture ?
Anyways, that made quite alot of sense.....

Madonna
01-05-2006, 05:24 PM
I believe this is what you're looking for.

KentaRawr!
01-06-2006, 02:56 AM
I see what you mean. RPG's really should be called something else, for the same reasons you stated. Pretty much every game has at least one character nowadays. :p

Russielloyd
01-06-2006, 03:16 AM
You can rant on and overthingk as much as you like, but the fact is, it's going to change is it.

Markus. D
01-06-2006, 07:09 AM
Haunting Ground is a survival horror.

its a good one aswell.

Necronopticous
01-06-2006, 07:16 AM
There are no ghosts in Puck Man.

ljkkjlcm9
01-06-2006, 07:23 AM
you're looking at the titles too literally. WAY too literally. Adventure games are those where the main idea of the game is to go on a huge adventure. Action games are those that are in real time so there is constant action. Strategy like Fire emblem actually take skill and thinking to figure out the best moves to win. FPS, yeah, any game in the first person perspective when you shoot something that is a FPS. They were seperate from their third perspective counterpart because they were radically different. A first person shooting game controls far differently than any third person shooter. A third person game is more of an action game. RPG, yes the basic name breaks down to Role Playing Game, but the real idea behind an RPG is one where you develop the character and develop them as you desire making them your own, that no-one else can duplicate. And let's be honest play FFVII 10 times getting Cloud to level 70, equip him with the same materia everytime, he'll have different stats, therefore making him unique to that game. Making him your role. Mario is not an RPG, you do nothing to make him yours.

I hate people that are so critical of these things and take them so literally. Stop investing so much into words. They really don't mean anything, plus, how my brain takes in a word and understands it is different than how your brain processes it. SO stop being so damn literal! These things always get on my nerves

THE JACKEL

Russielloyd
01-06-2006, 09:27 AM
you're looking at the titles too literally. WAY too literally. Adventure games are those where the main idea of the game is to go on a huge adventure. Action games are those that are in real time so there is constant action. Strategy like Fire emblem actually take skill and thinking to figure out the best moves to win. FPS, yeah, any game in the first person perspective when you shoot something that is a FPS. They were seperate from their third perspective counterpart because they were radically different. A first person shooting game controls far differently than any third person shooter. A third person game is more of an action game. RPG, yes the basic name breaks down to Role Playing Game, but the real idea behind an RPG is one where you develop the character and develop them as you desire making them your own, that no-one else can duplicate. And let's be honest play FFVII 10 times getting Cloud to level 70, equip him with the same materia everytime, he'll have different stats, therefore making him unique to that game. Making him your role. Mario is not an RPG, you do nothing to make him yours.

I hate people that are so critical of these things and take them so literally. Stop investing so much into words. They really don't mean anything, plus, how my brain takes in a word and understands it is different than how your brain processes it. SO stop being so damn literal! These things always get on my nerves

THE JACKAL

Agreed!

Captain Maxx Power
01-06-2006, 12:31 PM
For the record go look up two words for me : Sarcasm and Humour, and then maybe you'll see why I posted.

Mo-Nercy
01-06-2006, 12:40 PM
I'm too damn used to all the terms to have to learn new ones.

You make a good point though. I shall remember this rant.

ljkkjlcm9
01-06-2006, 11:07 PM
For the record go look up two words for me : Sarcasm and Humour, and then maybe you'll see why I posted.
well maybe you should have made it clear it was meant to be sarastic and humorous, unlike being in person, you can not tell a person's intent through simple writing unless they make it clear

THE JACKEL

crashNUMBERS
01-07-2006, 03:57 AM
Yeah, many non-RPGers will call every other game an RPG...

Russielloyd
01-07-2006, 04:14 AM
Yeah, many non-RPGers will call every other game an RPG...

Thats true.

(offtopic) Chaos, the guy in your sig looks like this guy called Graham Norton lol.

crashNUMBERS
01-07-2006, 04:16 AM
Thats true.

(offtopic) Chaos, the guy in your sig looks like this guy called Graham Norton lol.
Thank you for agreeing with me and it is Deryck Whibley. His nick is Bizzy D...

Don't call me Chaos

Markus. D
01-07-2006, 04:17 AM

THE JACKAL

heh heh, Mario games have ussually been platform based.

EXEMPTING! Super Mario RPG.

Russielloyd
01-07-2006, 04:19 AM
Don't call me Chaos[/SIZE]

I wasnt to know not to call you, say please and i wont.

Giga Guess
01-07-2006, 05:02 AM
Thats true.

OH MY GOD, HE DOES TOO!

Rengori
01-07-2006, 05:05 AM
You can rant on and overthingk as much as you like, but the fact is, it's going to change is it.
It is going to change is it? Translation please?

Russielloyd
01-07-2006, 08:02 AM
It is going to change is it? Translation please?

Whoops "it's not going to change" i meant soz.