PDA

View Full Version : Is their a realistic military game with an rpg style of gameplay

darkchrono
01-06-2006, 06:38 AM
Is their any realistic military game storylines (similar to Metal Gear Solid games or many other Shooter type games) which has a RPG style of gameplay.

I like realistic military storylines and what not but I don't really like Shooters all that much. So as a result I tend not to pay much attention to the shooters that have those types of storylines.

But are there any games that have a realistic military storyline but has an rpg style of gameplay at the same time.

Markus. D
01-06-2006, 06:51 AM
well, most of them do you see.

you either roleplay a commander, infiltrator etc.

what type of gameplay?

darkchrono
01-06-2006, 06:57 AM
Well it has a fighting system similar to that of the final fantasy games, xeno games, chrono games, etc...

Not a shooter style of fighting system like many of the games with that kind of storyline have.

Markus. D
01-06-2006, 07:04 AM
then you dont mean an RPG battle system, you mean an ATB system... or a CTB system.

well, I actually cant help you there.

edit: FFVIII, there you go :)

darkchrono
01-06-2006, 07:15 AM
lol, I wouldn't really consider ff8 a realistic military setting.

Because the storyline isn't realistic and strangely even though they supposedly are in the military the storyline has very little to do with the actual military.

Markus. D
01-06-2006, 07:25 AM
dude... Garden Wars is a massive part the story.

so well... I guess I cant help you.

ljkkjlcm9
01-06-2006, 07:26 AM
Uhm, a war with an ATB system, that'd be slightly weird. The only way I can really see a war game being done is in real time, or strategy. That form of a war game just wouldn't really work with the whole concept of war. But if you think you can design one that works, more power to you.
And who ever said you play the role of a commander, stop that, stop taking RPG for it's literal meaning. We all know that's not actually what it means.

THE JACKEL

SoulTaker*
01-06-2006, 07:38 AM
The closest thing to what you want is "America's army", it has alot of strategy elements and is not really a shooter persay, you move your troops around in and Iraq style envirement, you have to pick teh best strategy to succeed, if you lose soldiers they dont come back, it requires serious thinking and you cant try to outgun the enemy or you will die, you use tactics like flanking your oppponent or laying down cover fire for members of your team to sneak in. It's very realistic and it was used as training for real life soldiers, also a new version is comming out called America's army rise of the soldier.

BatChao
01-06-2006, 08:00 AM
Hmm... the closest thing I can think of is the Front Mission series... it's basically turn/grid based mech combat in a war setting... I know mech combat isn't exactly 'realistic', but you did cite Metal Gear Solid to being something similar to what you are looking for, and that has a mech in it...

If you are willing to let go of the ATB battle type, I think one of the best military games out there right now is Full Spectrum Warrior. It is pretty damn realistic as far as I can tell, and it isn't a run n' gun shooter. It's kinda like a 3rd person RTS. You command squads of fireteams and have to cover each other as you make your way from waypoint to waypoint. You do things like have one team lay down surpression fire at an enemy while the other team walks across and then they turn around and cover the other team. It's pretty much one hit kills, so you have to be really careful and think of good strategies. It's based on a program used to train real US troops, so it's pretty realistic. You don't actually control any of the characters directly, but rather tell them where to go, where to shoot, etc. The sequel is coming out sometime this month too, I think. I think you can get the original for pretty cheap.

SoulTaker*
01-06-2006, 04:55 PM
Hmm... the closest thing I can think of is the Front Mission series... it's basically turn/grid based mech combat in a war setting... I know mech combat isn't exactly 'realistic', but you did cite Metal Gear Solid to being something similar to what you are looking for, and that has a mech in it...

If you are willing to let go of the ATB battle type, I think one of the best military games out there right now is Full Spectrum Warrior. It is pretty damn realistic as far as I can tell, and it isn't a run n' gun shooter. It's kinda like a 3rd person RTS. You command squads of fireteams and have to cover each other as you make your way from waypoint to waypoint. You do things like have one team lay down surpression fire at an enemy while the other team walks across and then they turn around and cover the other team. It's pretty much one hit kills, so you have to be really careful and think of good strategies. It's based on a program used to train real US troops, so it's pretty realistic. You don't actually control any of the characters directly, but rather tell them where to go, where to shoot, etc. The sequel is coming out sometime this month too, I think. I think you can get the original for pretty cheap.

Full Spectrum Warrior is what I meant not America's Army. Damn it. Yes, that is the most realistic military game out their.

Maxico
01-06-2006, 05:06 PM
Well there is Metal Gear Acid for the PSP.

But I really wouldn't call the Metal Gear storyline realistic in any way.

Hornets man, goddamn hornets.

Yew-Yevon
01-06-2006, 05:52 PM
full spectum worrior is the only one i can think of