PDA

View Full Version : Sony=passive/ Microsoft=radical

Yew-Yevon
01-06-2006, 06:09 PM
has anyone noticed how OPM and OXM aproche each other differently?

when I read OPM, if they talk about MS... they do so in a way that is compeditive yes. But not hostile.

where as MC is always pushing this idea that it is god of the market. that if you dont have xbox, then your a nobody and anyone who's on sonys side is /xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif!

i had an OPM and OXM on the next gen disscuss

OPM had a who article on wich tech demos were in real time, and which were prerendered. The artical also show the specs for each new system

the Tech demos for PS3 showed...

Killzone, DMC, Heavenly sword, 1-8, Tekken, vision GT, Fight Night round 2, Unreal 2007, FF7, and Warhalk all ran in real time.

the prerendered were as follows-Identity, and Moterstorm.

OXM comented on the Demos saying that it was all prerendered propaganda. and even went so far as to say that Killzone was nothing more than CGI video. and yet...MC had almost nothing to show at E3 as far as demonstrations.

whats your coments on all this?

SoulTaker*
01-06-2006, 06:18 PM
Dude, Microsoft simply cant compete on a world wide scale with Sony, Sony controls the biggest gaming market in the world in Japan and Sony and Microsoft know it, so they resort to hose types of tactics, the launch of the xbox360 wasnt a total bust but it still wasnt what Microsoft wanted I bet. I heard Bill Gates even tried to lie and say Halo 3 would launch when the PS3 comes out, but when the head of Bungi was asked about it, he claimed to have no such plans and halo 3 wasnt really even in development yet. Also everything I've heard has been that the PS3 is gonna be far superior to the 360, from games to graphics. I saw those supposed tech demos they put out for killzone and metal gear, and if their real time msoft will be in trouble.

MecaKane
01-06-2006, 06:34 PM
Coca-cola out-sells Pepsi in most countries, and generally taste a hell of a lot better.
Pepsi's commericals take shots at coke at everychance, inbetween getting famous people to make it look like pepsi is the cooler brand.

Slothy
01-06-2006, 06:34 PM
I saw those supposed tech demos they put out for killzone and metal gear, and if their real time msoft will be in trouble.

MGS4 was in real time. Killzone is debatable. I'd say it was likely in real time, but that opening sequence just before the ships land was definitely scripted real time, assuming all of it wasn't scripted. I see no reason to believe it was pre rendered though. Also, many other well known demos (such as the Unreal engine) are in real time.

Now keep in mind all of those demos wouldn't have had actual gameplay and physics engines, AI, or any of the other things that would require a fair amount of processing power and lower the visual quality, but I'm inclined to believe that MGS4 is likely the most accurate representation of what the PS3 will be able to do graphically. Kojima's never been one to screw with us by misleading the public on a systems capabilities. He may mislead us when it comes to major story elements in his games though. I still remember the original videos for MGS2 though, and being awestruck at the thought anyone could actually pull off a game that good looking on the PS2.

Now keep in mind OXM would still be a publication independent of MS, so you can blame their editor's and publisher for any lack of journalistic integrity. As far as MS attacking the competition, I've never seen anything blatant from them, but they do tend to tout their supposed superiority a little more than Nintendo and Sony (Ken Kuteragi aside) seem to.

Yew-Yevon
01-06-2006, 06:39 PM
I own an Xbox1 and was just starting to like it...but when I read stuff like that it turns me off and I become even more Sony loyal.

Roto13
01-06-2006, 06:51 PM
Coca-cola out-sells Pepsi in most countries, and generally taste a hell of a lot better.
Pepsi's commericals take shots at coke at everychance, inbetween getting famous people to make it look like pepsi is the cooler brand.

It's interesting that you would bring the Cola Wars in as an example. Pepsi... Coke... who really cares, right? They're not THAT different, and most people wouldn't be that annoyed if a store was out of one, forcing them to buy the other.

Microsoft seems to take a similar approach. They seem to think that their games are every bit as good as Sony's, so they try to win this console war with advertising, and not with actual great-quality, non-Halo games.

a nirvana fan
01-06-2006, 06:55 PM
has anyone noticed how OPM and OXM aproche each other differently?

when I read OPM, if they talk about MS... they do so in a way that is compeditive yes. But not hostile.

where as MC is always pushing this idea that it is god of the market. that if you dont have xbox, then your a nobody and anyone who's on sonys side is /xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif!

i had an OPM and OXM on the next gen disscuss

OXM had a who article on wich tech demos were in real time, and which were prerendered. The artical also show the specs for each new system

the Tech demos for PS3 showed...

Killzone, DMC, Heavenly sword, 1-8, Tekken, vision GT, Fight Night round 2, Unreal 2007, FF7, and Warhalk all ran in real time.

the prerendered were as follows-Identity, and Moterstorm.

OXM comented on the Demos saying that it was all prerendered propaganda. and even went so far as to say that Killzone was nothing more than CGI video. and yet...MC had almost nothing to show at E3 as far as demonstrations.

whats your coments on all this?

You just said a lot of stuff I DO NOT understand..hehe.

SoulTaker*
01-06-2006, 07:12 PM
He basically said that Xbox's official magazine talks more trash about other systems and hypes up its own while the official playstation magazine is less aggressive in its tactics.

edczxcvbnm
01-06-2006, 07:24 PM
Sony controls the biggest gaming market in the world in Japan and Sony and Microsoft know it

Japan is the second biggest market in the world. North America is first now. I just had to correct that mistake.

SoulTaker*
01-06-2006, 07:25 PM
Really? Heres a article on the Xbox 360's failure in Japan. http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/12/15/xbox_360_not_big_in_japan/

edczxcvbnm
01-06-2006, 07:47 PM
Yes really. That article doesn't back up your position that it is the biggest gaming market in the world either. It says it is a key market, which is true given that it is the second biggest.

SoulTaker*
01-06-2006, 07:50 PM
I didnt want it to back up anything but the fact that Msoft failed in Japan, I asked "really" because I really didnt know that the US has surpassed Japan in the market.

edczxcvbnm
01-06-2006, 08:10 PM
The US has surpassed Japan in the late 90s because of the PSX. Microsoft failed in the market and it is because they don't have games that appeal to the market. That is why they will not win there. When they realize what they like then they will have a shot but it isn't going to be this generation.

Maxico
01-06-2006, 08:46 PM
I was under the impression that Europe was the second largest gaming territory.

edczxcvbnm
01-07-2006, 12:46 AM
Europe is coming up fast but they are not there. Due to the retarded number of languages Europe uses for its population size it get stuff late and there is a general apathy towards it. This is changing becaues more developers are coming out of Europe and Europe has similar tastes to NA where as before in the past the entire market was controlled by JP companies.

Europe is a very close third but not second yet by total everything sold...at least last I checked.

fantasyjunkie
01-07-2006, 02:50 AM
Bah! I like both Sony and MC, so I'll get both systems and enjoy them both like I did the PS2 and Xbox :) .

Vyk
01-07-2006, 02:51 AM
I'm not gonna jump on the debate, but I wish people would stop saying the only good games on XBox are Halo, sports games, and other FPS or multi-platform games. Hate to say this on a FF board, but since my falling away from FF (or rather, their departure from my tastes) I've had to look eslewhere for a good RPG romp this generation. And X-Box had the best, from western developers, who apparently understand cravings I never knew I even had...

fantasyjunkie
01-07-2006, 11:21 AM
<>[!]Vyk, Thats a really nice picture. Who is she, a character from a game?[/!]

Edit by Kishi: Off-topic. We have Private Messages for questions like that.

escobert
01-07-2006, 11:40 AM
I Don't know about the rest of the US but up here XboX rules everything. I try to tell people the PS3 will be better but all I here is XboX 360 this XboX360 that.

Mirage
01-07-2006, 01:17 PM
I saw those supposed tech demos they put out for killzone and metal gear, and if their real time msoft will be in trouble.
For me it looked like the MGS4 demo ran realtime on PS2 hardware. Without a huge environment and stuff, they can easily make the characters as detailed as they did in the demo.

Slothy
01-07-2006, 01:20 PM
I'm not gonna jump on the debate, but I wish people would stop saying the only good games on XBox are Halo, sports games, and other FPS or multi-platform games. Hate to say this on a FF board, but since my falling away from FF (or rather, their departure from my tastes) I've had to look eslewhere for a good RPG romp this generation. And X-Box had the best, from western developers, who apparently understand cravings I never knew I even had...

In all fairness, not everyone's a fan of the type of RPG's you find on Xbox. The only one that ever interested me was KOTOR, but then I'm more a fan of Japanese style RPG's. It does kind of lack system selling exclusive titles though. The entire time the Xbox was out, three titles interested me. Splinter Cell which went multiplatform, KOTOR which is also on the PC, and Halo, which didn't interest me very much once I actually played it. To each his own. I certainly can't fault anyone for enjoying games on Xbox as there have been plenty of games that have gotten pretty good or great ratings, they're just not always for everyone.

Cz
01-07-2006, 02:06 PM
This is why I only read multiformat magazines. I wish the mainstream gaming press would stop getting dragged into these childish console wars. It's bad enough having your chosen machine bad-mouthed by ignorant jerks online, without having a supposedly respectable magazine jumping on the bandwagon. So what if the Killzone demo was pre-rendered or in real time? If the sub-standard gameplay of the first is anything to go by it won't even matter. The power of each console will only affect the decision of a minority who bizarrely insist on buying the machine with the best specs, and the rest of the public will simply opt for brand loyalty. Last generation the PS2 emerged victorious despite being the least powerful, and the same will happen this time, regardless of each machine's quality.

Madame Adequate
01-07-2006, 05:01 PM
The only gaming rag I read these days is Edge. I get all my other info online, really.

But yeah, this is silly of people to do. It just makes them look petty/dumb. I remember some Nintendo mag back in the 90s thought it was l33t to call the PSX the 'Greystation'. :rolleyes2 Made me a lifelong subscriber, I can tell you.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
01-07-2006, 05:24 PM
Nintendo Power once suggested using old copies of Bebe's Kids for the SNES as "PlayStation mallets." The commercial for NiGHTS showed footage of someone dropping a PlayStation off the roof of a building. The Crash Bandicoot commercials featured a guy in a Crash suit shouting with a bullhorn at Nintendo's offices in Redmond, Washington. Sega produced a campaign touting the Genesis's unique capabilities for "blast processing" (which turned out to not exist) and claiming "GENESIS DOES WHAT NINTENDON'T."

My point is that great things can come from a console war.

Roto13
01-07-2006, 05:47 PM
http://gameads.gamepressure.com/tv_game_commercial.asp?ID=866

Kawaii Ryűkishi
01-07-2006, 05:49 PM
http://gameads.gamepressure.com/tv_game_commercial.asp?ID=884
http://gameads.gamepressure.com/tv_game_commercial.asp?ID=883

crashNUMBERS
01-07-2006, 06:49 PM
In my opinion, Sony is better then Microsoft. Sony has everything, from digital camera's to game systems. I hear the PS3 will even have internet. How kick ass is that??

SummonerYuna
01-07-2006, 07:06 PM
I'm gonna have to go with Sony. Sony has made many better things in the past than microsoft.(atleast that's what I think) XD

Roto13
01-07-2006, 07:27 PM
Just avoid the first shipment of PS3's. I'm going to wait for a price drop, personally. I'm excited about the Revolution moreso than the PS3.

XxSephirothxX
01-07-2006, 07:38 PM
Considering the amazing amount of Sony bias on this board, or probably any Final Fantasy one, I'm not going to even bother defending Microsoft. And I don't read either OPM or OXM, but I'd wager that they're both pretty insulting towards the other camps. Sony obviously had the better show at E3, but it was a dream show. Microsoft's footage was pretty realistic, and that's one reason why the Xbox 360 hasn't wowed people. We've seen good graphics, but nothing jaw-dropping. The validity of the tech demos Sony showed is really in question, and I personally doubt all the games were in real-time. The only gaming mag I read is EGM, and they recently said Killzone won't look nearly as good as the supposedly in-game footage presented at E3. I bet they're right.

Yew-Yevon
01-07-2006, 08:14 PM
The Killzone footage was running on the game engine at 5 fsp on tha alfa hardware they sped up the footage to 60 fps.

if the final hardware is anything like what their hoping for, then I think the demo was quite acurate.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
01-07-2006, 08:15 PM
OPM is actually remarkably civil towards the competition. I was surprised they actually conducted an interview with that bald Microsoft PR guy, and on top of that, they were completely respectful. If anything, they're actually harder on Sony's own products than anyone else's. They have no qualms about stating that the PSP has yet to have a decent amount of good games available for it, for example.

Samuraid
01-07-2006, 08:16 PM
I would say that both Sony and MS are playing things pretty radically. Nintendo seems to be the passive one (and wisely so) this time around. That way when their market niche is right, they can pounce on it. :cat:

Maxico
01-07-2006, 08:29 PM
Sega produced a campaign touting the Genesis's unique capabilities for "blast processing" (which turned out to not exist) and claiming "GENESIS DOES WHAT NINTENDON'T."

Don't forget Nintendos "Super NES is what Genesisn't!" counter campaign.

Oh and as far as UK gaming publications go. GamesTM is far superior to Edge. Even if it is a little hard to track down.

Cz
01-07-2006, 09:31 PM
Oh and as far as UK gaming publications go. GamesTM is far superior to Edge. Even if it is a little hard to track down.You win, my friend. GamesTM is the epitome of well-informed, ubiased gaming journalism (at a low low price!). :thumb:

Slicksword45
01-08-2006, 02:22 AM
Their are also times when two compianys work togeter to ad. somthing and people go "i like one so i must like the other"

like the FFIX - Coca Cola thing-a-ma-bob

http://gameads.gamepressure.com/tv_game_commercial.asp?ID=217

crashNUMBERS
01-08-2006, 03:58 AM
Don't forget Nintendos "Super NES is what Genesisn't!" counter campaign.
If they really did that then consider the Genesis Pwnd...

Rengori
01-08-2006, 04:19 AM
I personally think Sony and Nintendo should join in a relation not unlike Square-Enix's (not interfering with each other's work) until they can put Microsoft out of the Gaming industry. Then split up and compete against each other.

Giga Guess
01-09-2006, 01:37 AM
Really? Heres a article on the Xbox 360's failure in Japan. http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/12/15/xbox_360_not_big_in_japan/

Ouch. Just.....ouch.

Yew-Yevon
01-10-2006, 07:34 PM
Their are also times when two compianys work togeter to ad. somthing and people go "i like one so i must like the other"

like the FFIX - Coca Cola thing-a-ma-bob

http://gameads.gamepressure.com/tv_game_commercial.asp?ID=217

that sends a very negative mesage to not MS, but the rest of the world.