PDA

View Full Version : PS3 and Xbox 360? What about revolution?

Burtuc
01-08-2006, 02:41 AM
All the time I hear everyone talking about how

"How Xbox 360 is going to be better then PS2"
"Xbox 360 is a premature system and won'tsstand a chane againts the PS#"

I agree with the second quote but my question is.

Why does everyone talk about 360 and PS3 and not put revolution in the rankings?

Slothy
01-08-2006, 02:46 AM
When Nintendo releases some info on actual games, then we can talk about the Revolution. A wacky controller that may or may not change gaming as we know it can only prop up discussion about a system for so long.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
01-08-2006, 02:52 AM
Yeah, there's no discussion because there's practically no information. Just wait until E3.

kikimm
01-08-2006, 06:08 AM
I can't speak for other people, but personally, I just don't care. That's why I don't talk about it.

a nirvana fan
01-08-2006, 10:31 AM
I can't speak for other people, but personally, I just don't care. That's why I don't talk about it.

You said it.

Old Manus
01-08-2006, 10:46 AM
People feel embarrassed talking about the revolution

KentaRawr!
01-09-2006, 04:13 AM
Not much info yet. We know about the controller, but Nintendo said they had another big surprise. Plus, we haven't seen any game-footage what-so-ever. We need more info'z!

ljkkjlcm9
01-09-2006, 04:22 AM
because most people, as much as they say they hate Nintendo fanboys, are more Sony fanboy than anything else. Plus were on an FF site and most recent new FF games are on Sony systems, so yeah. Even though tons of people have the nintendo portable systems, they'll never admit to liking nintendo

THE JACKAL

nik0tine
01-10-2006, 04:17 AM
People feel embarrassed talking about the revolution
People should feel embarrassed when talking about video games in general.

DK
01-10-2006, 04:26 AM
I just don't care.

Lindy
01-10-2006, 04:34 AM
I'd blame the fact that the Sony and Microsoft fanboys are most vociferous, and seem to have some kind of twisted, unnatural, non-sensical hate for each other purely based on the consoles they like.

Oh yeah and no info aside from the CD-I controller.

Sephex
01-10-2006, 05:59 AM
because most people, as much as they say they hate Nintendo fanboys, are more Sony fanboy than anything else. Plus were on an FF site and most recent new FF games are on Sony systems, so yeah. Even though tons of people have the nintendo portable systems, they'll never admit to liking nintendo

THE JACKAL

Yeah, if the next "real" FF were announced to be on the Revolution, all of a sudden Nintendo would be cool again around these parts. Just like some people around here suddenly warmed up to the DS when they learned that FFIII was being released for it. It's just as funny as Sony fans who say they hate Nintendo and have ROMS of old Nintendo stuff on their PSP.

Personally, I am unbiased about gaming. If you really want to be some "hardcore" gamer, or whatever gamers call themselves to make themselves feel better, you wouldn't favor one company over another. Yeah, it's cool to be a bigger fan of a company, but to cut youself off from one or more is only denying yourself of great games.

Anyway, yeah, more info on the Revolution is needed before the gaming press can talk about it seriously.

ljkkjlcm9
01-10-2006, 06:58 AM
Personally I'd get em all, though I do hate Microsoft, but that's because I hate the company period, not their gaming, (I still have Halo PC) I just get nintendo systems first because I enjoy more of their games. Plus, one brother has PS2, I have GC, and the other has X-box, and now my roomate at school has 360, so I got it all covered.

THE JACKEL

fantasyjunkie
01-10-2006, 07:21 AM
I dont have anything against the Revolution, it's just that there hasn't been any word from those guys and a result is that I don't care anything for them. As for as PS3 and the 360 I feel that both are gonna be disappointing over the long run. Too many sequels and that sort of stuff in both camps.

xtreme112
01-10-2006, 07:36 AM
Nobody talks about the revolution cuz the revolution doesn't compare

Old Manus
01-10-2006, 07:54 AM
People should feel embarrassed when talking about video games in general.
Because of the Revolution

Big Ogre Umaro
01-10-2006, 08:15 AM
Because the PS3 and 360 are targeted towards one demographic, and the Revolution is targeted towards another.

Oops, I didn't mean to give a serious reply. I meant to say BECAUSE EVERYONE WHO DOESN'T LIKE WHAT I LIKE IS PRETTY SILLY.

Tidus Andronicus
01-10-2006, 09:38 AM
IMO, more is actually known about the Revolution than the PS3... or at least they're very close...

But I think the reason no one knows about Rev is cause Nintendo wasn't such a popular console this last gen, thus not many are looking for info on their next console... On the other hand, Sony is just a big name in consoles at the moment, so they just kind of overshadow Rev.

But dont worry, there will be enough info out on Revolution soon enough... you can bet people will be talking about it more then.

Madame Adequate
01-10-2006, 12:12 PM
Because it's a silly console using a gimmick to try and get a reputation, rather than a serious console using numbers and most important of all, games (Which is what the X360 and PS3 are doing.).

Also; What Old Manus said.

Tidus Andronicus
01-10-2006, 01:39 PM
First of all, we don't know anything about the 'numbers' for the Revolution yet... And we don't know much about what the games will look like, course we don't know the same about the PS3 really...
Honestly though why do you think numbers matter at this point, we already know the graphics will be great if they're anything better than the current gen... And since when has Nintendo let people down graphically. Heck since when do the numbers tell us anything in advance how good Nintendo's console will look??? Remember pre-GameCube? had all the lower numbers, then it came out and had some of the best graphics of all 3 consoles...

And if your saying Nintendo consoles don't have good games then thats just your opinion... many other people like the games Nintendo's console better than the other consoles. The Revolution will most likely have the most exclusives this time around, due to the way the games will be different with its controller... Making it a must get console if you want the exclusives.

As far as calling the controller a 'gimmick'... just where do you get that notion? What about the controller is gimmicky? How would you even know that, if you haven't used it yet? I don't beleive you have the right to diss it until you've sat down and played with it for a while.
Plz note everyone that's used the controller, swears by it.
Its not a gimmick, its just a new way of playing. Nintendo is trying to advance controllers, not just graphics.
And its not like there isn't a backup plan, in case the controller doesn't work to well for some genre... Nintendo included a way to exand the features of the controller, or to even make it work as a traditional controller. (as well as included gamecube controller ports on the console for backwards compatability)
So what exactly makes you think its a bad controller?

Can any of you really back up your complaints at this time? I say we don't really know enough yet to complain... all we should do is speculate at this point... and once more info is known, or better yet, after we've tried it, then complaining might be valid.

Old Manus
01-10-2006, 05:20 PM
Nintendo's games so far have mainly consisted of Mario, Zelda, and other such series which have been around for Donkey (kong) 's years and have been milked so much it's emabarrassing, and the other games are available on other systems, save about 2% which haven't been very successful

Maxico
01-10-2006, 06:27 PM
First of all, we don't know anything about the 'numbers' for the Revolution yet... And we don't know much about what the games will look like, course we don't know the same about the PS3 really...

Developers have stated that it is around 2 to 3 times more powerful than a gamecube and the processor may be based on the one found in the gamecube. This is not confirmed but this, along with nintendo stating that they are working on affordability and innovation, rather than raw power, makes it the most likely scenario.

Honestly though why do you think numbers matter at this point, we already know the graphics will be great if they're anything better than the current gen... And since when has Nintendo let people down graphically. Heck since when do the numbers tell us anything in advance how good Nintendo's console will look??? Remember pre-GameCube? had all the lower numbers, then it came out and had some of the best graphics of all 3 consoles...

And if your saying Nintendo consoles don't have good games then thats just your opinion... many other people like the games Nintendo's console better than the other consoles. The Revolution will most likely have the most exclusives this time around, due to the way the games will be different with its controller... Making it a must get console if you want the exclusives.

Well most multi-platform, next generation games have been announced for the PS3 and Xbox360. Possibly due to the difference in controller and the rumoured lack of power.

In that case the exclusives the revolution will get would be the left overs of the more powerful and more conventional consoles.[/quote]

As far as calling the controller a 'gimmick'... just where do you get that notion? What about the controller is gimmicky? How would you even know that, if you haven't used it yet? I don't beleive you have the right to diss it until you've sat down and played with it for a while.

Because it forgoes accuracy and ease of use for a mechanism that is designed to make it look new and exiting.

Every alternate controller on existing consoles is a gimmick. None of them have replaced the standard controller because that is the tried and tested best method of control.

Plz note everyone that's used the controller, swears by it.
Its not a gimmick, its just a new way of playing. Nintendo is trying to advance controllers, not just graphics.

"Plz note" that everybody who has used the controller has been selected by nintendo. You hardly expect Nintendo to give this controller to critics now, do you?

It's not a gimmick? Lets look at the defintion of a gimmick

"A gimmick is a unique or quirky special feature that makes something "stand out" from its contemporaries."

I think that sums up the revolution perfectly.

And its not like there isn't a backup plan, in case the controller doesn't work to well for some genre... Nintendo included a way to exand the features of the controller, or to even make it work as a traditional controller. (as well as included gamecube controller ports on the console for backwards compatability)

Add-ons that will cost the user money. Wow, I really want to spend extra to get the full use out of my controller.

Can any of you really back up your complaints at this time? I say we don't really know enough yet to complain... all we should do is speculate at this point... and once more info is known, or better yet, after we've tried it, then complaining might be valid.

By your logic you can't back up the revolution untill more details become apparant either.

ljkkjlcm9
01-10-2006, 06:57 PM
everyone complains about the extra money for the add ons, when the system will be much cheaper, and as I've said before and Nintendo game that required an add-on had it with it, ie transfer pak for Pokemon Stadium, expansion pak for DK64, all included with the game that needed it.

As for gimmick, Nintendo doesn't want to be compared to the other two, if you try and compare them, sure it's a gimmick. But Nintendo is trying to go into another group all together. They're not worrying about the competition. And no matter what you say about milking their games. I'm sorry but third party developers milk their games much more. Final Fantasy for one, Dragon Quest, Megaman. They have more games than Mario and Zelda, Megaman has more than them COMBINED. I enjoy those games, and whether you admit it or not, you enjoy them too. Who honestly doesn't enjoy playing a mario game. You just won't go out and buy it, great, but if someone else has it, I know you'd gladly play it. Trust me, all my friends who say they hate Nintendo and all this other BS, love playing my GC with me. Because to be honest, it's tons of fun to play with people. I don't know any other system where I have nearly as many multiplayer games that I have as much fun playing with people as the GC or other nintendo systems. SO yeah, I love my GC, and everyone claims to hate nintendo.

People are scared of change, unwilling to accept. That's how some people are, but me, I'm looking forward to it, I see lots of possibilities, and no-one can deny how amazing the system will be for FPS games, I mean honestly people.

THE JACKEL

Maxico
01-10-2006, 10:26 PM
everyone complains about the extra money for the add ons, when the system will be much cheaper, and as I've said before and Nintendo game that required an add-on had it with it, ie transfer pak for Pokemon Stadium, expansion pak for DK64, all included with the game that needed it.

But then these controllers cannot be used as standard as if they are used by more than one game people will end up owning several pieces of the same hardware.

As for gimmick, Nintendo doesn't want to be compared to the other two, if you try and compare them, sure it's a gimmick. But Nintendo is trying to go into another group all together. They're not worrying about the competition.

Either they're going for the same market or a completly non existant one.

Judging by their appearances at E3 and the Tokyo game show I would say they're going for the same one.

And no matter what you say about milking their games. I'm sorry but third party developers milk their games much more. Final Fantasy for one, Dragon Quest, Megaman. They have more games than Mario and Zelda, Megaman has more than them COMBINED.

Mario has featured in 106 games while Megaman has starred in 100.

Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest come nowhere near these numbers.

Opinion, opinion, opinion

Blah

People are scared of change, unwilling to accept. That's how some people are, but me, I'm looking forward to it, I see lots of possibilities, and no-one can deny how amazing the system will be for FPS games, I mean honestly people.

No I play games because I enjoy them. Now if the games I enjoy are on other consoles due to hardware differences I will obviously go for that console. It's not about whether I enjoy the controller, it's the fact that the controller and hardware makes it unattractive to developers.

And first or second party Nintendo games have never been enough to sway me to their consoles. By scaring off third party developers they may end up with little else.

Jesus christ, I have alot of time on my hands.

ljkkjlcm9
01-10-2006, 10:53 PM
I also don't know where people are getting this idea that it's unattractive to developers, I've heard much excitement from developers, including Square-Enix.

THE JACKEL

Tidus Andronicus
01-11-2006, 12:01 AM
Because it forgoes accuracy and ease of use for a mechanism that is designed to make it look new and exiting.
What makes you think it wont be easy to use and accurate? From what I've heard its not only very accurate, but also its simple design by nature makes it easy to use as well. And Nintendo isn't trading gameplay for simplicity, as there are still plenty of buttons on the controller, and the motion detection features substitute other buttons, some of which were never there before. lol

Every alternate controller on existing consoles is a gimmick. None of them have replaced the standard controller because that is the tried and tested best method of control.
And Nintendo is trying to change the standard, at least for their end of the market. Thats what the Revolution controller is trying to achieve. Its not just an alternate controller, its going to be the standard controller for the Revolution... meaning the majority of games on this system will be made with this controller in mind. And I can't think of many genre that wont work with the controller, granted that they wont work in the same way they work now... For some genre to be playable with the RevoMote, major control style will be changed... but that isn't to say it wont work with them. Some people will love the new style, and others will hate it, thats just how this is going to work. At the same time though, this controller will open/create many new genre in the proccess.

"Plz note" that everybody who has used the controller has been selected by nintendo. You hardly expect Nintendo to give this controller to critics now, do you?
XD Oh come on... I seem to recall reading about quite a few actual critics getting their hands on the controller. Plenty of critics of Nintendo and even the Revolution have now had the chance to play with the controller... Their opinions change almost instantly. Yes, the controller at first glance may look like a bad idea, but when those critics finally did get to use the controller their opinion changed.
I also see quite a few critics of Nintendo complimenting the new controller these days... cause any good critic still remains open to new ideas. Even the ones that haven't tried it yet, admit it has some awesome potencial. Go do a search on any game site. lol

Add-ons that will cost the user money. Wow, I really want to spend extra to get the full use out of my controller.
--------
But then these controllers cannot be used as standard as if they are used by more than one game people will end up owning several pieces of the same hardware.
Since when has Nintendo been expensive? As someone else said, its most likely when a new add-on is NEEDED for a game, it will be included, normally for no or very little extra cost... and as with the EyeToy, for games that need extra add-ons, the games are released in dual versions, one with, and one without the needed hardware. So you can choose to get the version without the addon, if you already have it.

As far as the games go, several developers have said its not hard to port games from other consoles over to the Rev... And Nintendo themselves said there isn't going to be any noticeable difference between graphics on the Rev, when compared to the other consoles. So I dont think that will effect cross platform games.
And I dont see how people can claim Nintendo is milking their games... yes they do use the same IP characters to much sometimes, but thats kind of the charm of it. PLUS Nintendo doesn't just make Mario games... There are plenty of other games, that are just as good if not better. Games like Animal Crossing are so adictive and fun its not healthy. XD And there is no denying that the Zelda series is as good if not better than the Final Fantasy series. (although not really comparable... lol)
Plus all the game possibilities this new controller opens up... There will be a ton of exclusives on the Revolution, 1st and 3rd party. And those will be exclusive because of the controller, since both PS3 and 360 wont be able to use the same control those games need. If Sony and MS want to get those games as ports, they will have to integrate Nintendo's controller into theirs eventually.

Sephex
01-11-2006, 02:09 AM
...and as usual, no one tries to have an open mind. Way to make gaming suck for everyone, guys!

Lindy
01-11-2006, 02:15 AM
I don't even see the point of arguing.

Maxi, you clearly don't like the Revolution, so why do you even care about it? Just ignore it.

Tidus, you clearly like the Revolution, so? Why bother arguing about it? Just sit back in the knowledge that you like it, and you'll get what you expect when it comes out.

It benefits NOBODY by arguing about petty, stupid things like how you like/don't like the controller, or how you like/don't like potential games, because it's not like you're going to change the other person's mind.

Enjoy the games you like, ignore the ones you don't.

Dreddz
01-11-2006, 02:27 AM
Nintendo have just kept things to themselves IMO, Im sure in the next couple of months we'll see some Rev action.
But meh, the controller is still an oddity though.....

ljkkjlcm9
01-11-2006, 02:33 AM
I don't even see the point of arguing.

Maxi, you clearly don't like the Revolution, so why do you even care about it? Just ignore it.

Tidus, you clearly like the Revolution, so? Why bother arguing about it? Just sit back in the knowledge that you like it, and you'll get what you expect when it comes out.

It benefits NOBODY by arguing about petty, stupid things like how you like/don't like the controller, or how you like/don't like potential games, because it's not like you're going to change the other person's mind.

Enjoy the games you like, ignore the ones you don't.
there's nothing wrong with healthy argument, no harm is coming from it. So let people argue, maybe some people enjoy it, ever think of that?

THE JACKEL

Lindy
01-11-2006, 02:37 AM
It's because EVERY topic on consoles lead to people arguing and rabid fanboyism, and it's just sickening.

ljkkjlcm9
01-11-2006, 03:49 AM
It's because EVERY topic on consoles lead to people arguing and rabid fanboyism, and it's just sickening.

fine, then don't read it, nobody forces you. I don't understand that. Why go into a forum that either annoys you or you have no interest in? And not everyone here is a fanboy. I prefer Nintendo games yes, but I also enjoy many games on the other systems.

THE JACKEL

Lindy
01-11-2006, 04:13 AM
I go into this forum because I LIKE this forum, it has interesting topics and, shockingly, I like games, so there's my interest. I've been looking at this topic because I was HOPING that people might be able to talk sensibly about it, but sadly not.
Oh, and the people arguing are invariably fanboys, it's painfully obvious how much of a Nintendo fanboy Tidus A is, though I'm unsure about Maxi.

And look, you're trying to turn this into another argument, it always ends up this way.

And if you're going to append every post with "THE JACKAL", why not just change your name to "THE JACKAL", and then you don't have to end your post with it. Or put it in your signature?

Kawaii Ryűkishi
01-11-2006, 04:14 AM
It's not enough not to read it. We have a responsibility to society to put a stop to it.

Lindy
01-11-2006, 04:16 AM
That too. End fanboyism, it does nothing but hurt the reputation of gamers, and the people who like games purely for the games, not for the company.

Oh wait, I took that seriously, darn.

ljkkjlcm9
01-11-2006, 04:35 AM
you take everything too seriously, including me typing THE jackel... I like doing it so I do it, again it hurts no-one. I don't want to change my name, and I don't want a signature, so I sign with THE jackel

there are other more important arguments in this world, so if you want to go out and stop one, choose something better. Gaming and fanboys is not exactly a number one thing to fix. In every aspect there are fanboys. Sports, movies, games, music. There's not something you or anyone can do to change it. I'm not saying leave the forums all together, but you need not read this thread. You realize how many times on many forums I go in and read something so blatantly stupid or annoying, so I just leave. If you don't enjoy it, don't participate. Yeah, me trying to start another argument, no, me saying something that makes perfect logical sense. Here is an example, if you are not gay, and don't like homosexuality, and you walk into a bar, and see it's a gay bar, are you going to sit there and complain about it, or just leave?

THE JACKEL

Lindy
01-11-2006, 04:37 AM
No, I think I'd order a drink and enjoy the music.

And you need to not take everything so seriously, if you didn't realise I was poking fun at you with my last comment.

You're saying I shouldn't post because I don't like it, well I equally have the right to complain as well, so why shouldn't I? Perfectly logical as well.

ljkkjlcm9
01-11-2006, 04:44 AM
No, I think I'd order a drink and enjoy the music.

And you need to not take everything so seriously, if you didn't realise I was poking fun at you with my last comment.

You're saying I shouldn't post because I don't like it, well I equally have the right to complain as well, so why shouldn't I? Perfectly logical as well.

All right, you can post, but you also have to be ready to have someone post in regards to what you said and possibly create an argument. Freedom of speech is an interesting thing. People always believe that you have the right to say whatever you want with no penalties. No, freedom of speech means you can say whatever you want, but you should also be able to face the consequences or results for your statements. I say this and people are like, then doesn't everyone have freedom of speech everywhere? No, because people would kill them or shut them up some other way and prevent them from saying anything.

Yeah yeah I'm being serious. I just like to make that point about freedom of speech whenever someone brings up rights and saying stuff.
(and actually the mods made it so whenever I type JACKAL it's capitalized and even with spelling mistakes, so I'm not going and changing what I do when they did it just for me!)

THE JACKAL

KentaRawr!
01-11-2006, 04:45 AM
Not to sound snotty, but isn't this a tad bit off-topic?

Kawaii Ryűkishi
01-11-2006, 04:50 AM
Objection overruled!

KentaRawr!
01-11-2006, 04:51 AM
Objection overruled!

You're lying gosh darnit, and I can prove it!

Lindy
01-11-2006, 04:51 AM
Oh and these topics are about the only time I can feel entirely superior to people, and look down disprovingly on their sad, rabid fanboyism for specific consoles with no logical reasoning behind.

And the reason I was pointing out about starting an argument was because my comments were, in the first place, about an argument, so the irony of it was painfully obvious.

ljkkjlcm9
01-11-2006, 04:57 AM
Oh and these topics are about the only time I can feel entirely superior to people, and look down disprovingly on their sad, rabid fanboyism for specific consoles with no logical reasoning behind.

And the reason I was pointing out about starting an argument was because my comments were, in the first place, about an argument, so the irony of it was painfully obvious.
idk, I just can't wait to experience the new controller with the revolution. I mean FPS games, they should be truly awesome. I'm sure the other systems will have their great games too, but I also heard the new Zelda has special features on the Revolution using the new controller, and the most logic connection is that the controller is your sword, that'd be cool too.

THE JACKEL

Tidus Andronicus
01-11-2006, 04:58 AM
At least I'm a supportive Nintendo fanboy... and I dont go out of my way to bash...

Course I used to be a PS fan... till I 'saw the light' if you will... XD

heck i like ps3 and rev... i just dont like it when people diss one or the other.
meh, dont like anything Microsoft, and thats been that way since before MS was in gaming... XD

Anyway, seems Nintendo is the one that gets picked on too often... -_- or ignored... but thats just the way the general public is, follow the flavor of the moment... or whats popular in the media... =/

Lindy
01-11-2006, 04:59 AM
I'd rather wait and see, I don't care what the controller is or what the stats of the console are, I just want to see the games.

ljkkjlcm9
01-11-2006, 05:01 AM
I'd rather wait and see, I don't care what the controller is or what the stats of the console are, I just want to see the games.
well yeah, but that's what excites me about it, the possibilites of the games!

THE JACKEL

Lindy
01-11-2006, 05:03 AM
Too much expectation sets you up for a fall.

I'm sure Nintendo will deliver, but I'd rather reserve any judgement until there's any actual information to judge.

Maxico
01-11-2006, 05:53 PM

I neither like nor dislike the revolution intensely. I just find it hard to read a long, biased post on any subject without posting some kind of counter argument.

It was more for the sake of providing opposition than some kind of deep hatred for nintendo.

KentaRawr!
01-11-2006, 07:42 PM
There are quite a few possibilites for the games. The only bad part is that I will never be able to play the game I thought up. :p

Lionx
01-11-2006, 09:37 PM
You srota learn to ignore Lindy after a while ljkkjlcm9, he just likes doing that.

For me, i feel as long as Nintendo does it right and developers find ways to use the stick well, Revolution might change some parts of how gaming can be done. Smash online is already enough a reason for me to buy. But its true, there IS little information out there about the Revolution(for better or worst for Nintendo) thats worth talking about, so i can understand why theres little talk about them.

Shadow The Red XIII Thing
01-17-2006, 01:24 AM
Unless i get to use an actual sword for my rpgs I dun think Im buying the game.