PDA

View Full Version : Highwind technical specs

?????
01-08-2006, 11:38 AM
OK, so this is a picture of the technical specifications for the Highwind; I'm assuming it's from the FFVII "making of" CD.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v148/azrael19/highwind1.jpg

The problem of course being that I CAN'T READ A SINGLE GOD DAMN WORD OF THAT. HELP.

Mirage
01-08-2006, 11:43 AM
I can't either, but it seems like it's 237 metres long, weights 1380 tons (?) and has 152000 horsepowers per engine. I think someone was on crack while designing it. Ofcourse, I may be completely off.

?????
01-08-2006, 12:02 PM
I'm assuming that they're using the traditional horsepower definition, 746 W. However, there are a ton of horsepower figures there, and apparently a kiloton figure, which is decidedly odd; a kiloton is not merely a unit of weight, but also a unit of energy. I'm wondering if that's the energy output of the Highwind's missiles; if so, that's quite impressive, to say the least, considering the Hiroshima bomb unleashed only 12.5 kilotons. Even a total yield per volley seems to be too much for that figure, but unfortunately we never see the Highwind use its missiles in a cutscene; the only clue we're given as to its toughness is the beating it survives in the ending, and that would only bear relevance if the Highwind was equipped with directed energy weapons powered from the same engine that makes the ship move. To say that the kiloton figure is the ship's weight is a bit much; the weight of an F-22 is only about 15 tons. Unless the entire ship is made from the same-quality material as Weapon armor or the Masamune, the amount of force necessary to accelerate the Highwind out of the crater that fast in the ending would most likely have crumpled its entire structure like a paper airplane.

Then again, I'm not entirely sure where it's from. Can someone verify whether this was on the "making of" CD or in some Japanese media like Ultimania? A similar set of specs were drawn up for the Shinra helicopter and the motorcycle Cloud hijacks in the escape from Midgar; it was identified as being made by a motor company named Hardy-Daytona. I suspect that the picture's a fake, but it's convincingly done.

?????
01-09-2006, 08:18 AM
...so nobody knows anything? Gah. I need people who can read this! The first person who can correctly tell me everything in that picture and whether it's real or not gets...uhh...a cookie?

Mirage
01-09-2006, 08:51 AM
Yeah, most figures are pretty insane, even for a fantasy/sci-fi craft.

?????
01-09-2006, 12:01 PM
That's not anywhere close to insane. In fact, it might even be insufficient to account for some plot-related events, such as the team getting to Midgar from the North Crater inside of a few minutes at the end of Disc 2. As far as I can read, no max speed figure is given.

sadstatue
01-09-2006, 12:04 PM
why does it even matter?

Mirage
01-09-2006, 12:59 PM
If it doesn't matter to you, why did you even bother posting?
And Questionmark, you've got to remember that RPG games aren't in real-time :p

sadstatue
01-09-2006, 02:14 PM
ummm i just wanted to know...
maybe it has a special part in the game that i didnt know about...
i dont know...
i was just wandering...

?????
01-10-2006, 12:42 AM
If it doesn't matter to you, why did you even bother posting?
And Questionmark, you've got to remember that RPG games aren't in real-time :p

Neither are most other stories. Just sitting there for a few hours while people travel doesn't exactly make for good storytelling, now does it? However, it's still possible to deduce the speed of a given mode of travel; they're still at the North Crater when Hojo takes control of the Mako Cannon, and they make it back in time to not only stop him, but to intercept Proud Clod. That's a fast frickin' airship.

starseeker
01-14-2006, 06:37 PM
The only help I can give is that this word that keeps coming up (next to the distance measurements) is in katakana so its probably from English. It appears to read bu/pu ro be/pe ra. I'm not sure about the first and third symbols because the resolution is a tad too low to distinguish between two small dashes and a small circle. The symbols in brackets next to the kt measurements say notto. The first block on the right is engine specs. That's all I can read, my Japanese is not great.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
01-14-2006, 07:28 PM
The only help I can give is that this word that keeps coming up (next to the distance measurements) is in katakana so its probably from English. It appears to read bu/pu ro be/pe ra. I'm not sure about the first and third symbols because the resolution is a tad too low to distinguish between two small dashes and a small circle.It's puropera. Propellor.

The kt. abbreviation is used here for knots, not kilotons. I can tell you that much. I have no desire to spend hours and hours trying to figure out all the kanji stuff, though.

starseeker
01-15-2006, 11:19 AM
I have a tendency to miss the obvious. You're right about the speed in knots, that's what the brackets said. I really need to pay attention to what I write.