PDA

View Full Version : Memoirs of a Geisha.

Chris
01-08-2006, 08:57 PM
I'm so excited by this movie. From what I've seen it looks absolutely stunning and I can't wait to see it! It's based on a highly acclaimed book. So, are you as excited to see, Memoirs of a Geisha?

:)

Suikojowy
01-08-2006, 09:00 PM
I have a friend who's read the book and loves it, so I might just watch the movie 'cause i'm too much of an idiot to read it.

~SapphireStar~
01-08-2006, 09:31 PM
My mum has the book, so Im going to try and get my hands on that cause the book is 90% better then the film. But I love Ziyi Zhang (Sayuri in MoaG), so I will defiently be seeing it :D

Chris
01-09-2006, 05:49 PM
I just bought the book today. I have to read it before I see the movie. :p

Zeldy
01-09-2006, 06:42 PM
I cannot wait! I read the book in a week, and its got to be one of the best Books ive read so far. I honestly didn't want it to end!

Rye
01-09-2006, 08:55 PM
The book was stunning. Definitely in my top 3 favourite books of all time. The movie was stunning too, but not as good as the book, obviously. The movie made me cry, it was so beautiful.

It had two advantages the book did not: Music and the dancing. You can't picture the dancing too well in the book, but that one scene with Sayuri dancing alone in the movie... beautiful. And the soundtrack was done by John Williams, so it was amazing.

Also, the ending almost kind of dissapointed me in the book, but it fit so well at the end of the movie. :)

Markus. D
01-09-2006, 11:07 PM
i will probably see it because its in that Eastern Eye genre.

but ive heard its more chickflikey then anything...

Miriel
01-09-2006, 11:25 PM
I loved the book. I really loved the book.

But the movie, I strongly believe should have been made in Japanese and subtitled in English. It's Gorgeous movie, visually stunning, but too many things grated me about the movie for me to really enjoy it. The accents were all over the place, some characters didn't even have accents, and Zhang Ziyi, beautiful and talented as she is, just couldn't deliver a great bulk of her lines without sounding awkward and stilted.

Not that she doesn't try. She gave it her all, but her lack of proficiency in English really hampered her in this film.

Like I said, it was a gorgeous movie. But it didn't capture any of the emotional heart of the book. At least, I didn't think it did.

xtreme112
01-09-2006, 11:54 PM
i will probably see it because its in that Eastern Eye genre.

but ive heard its more chickflikey then anything...

yeah that was my dilemna about seeing it...it looks decent but I worry that if i go I'll be bored stupid watching some girly movie...comments?

Rye
01-10-2006, 01:50 AM
I loved the book. I really loved the book.

But the movie, I strongly believe should have been made in Japanese and subtitled in English. It's Gorgeous movie, visually stunning, but too many things grated me about the movie for me to really enjoy it. The accents were all over the place, some characters didn't even have accents, and Zhang Ziyi, beautiful and talented as she is, just couldn't deliver a great bulk of her lines without sounding awkward and stilted.

Not that she doesn't try. She gave it her all, but her lack of proficiency in English really hampered her in this film.

Like I said, it was a gorgeous movie. But it didn't capture any of the emotional heart of the book. At least, I didn't think it did.

Yeah, it showed the beauty of the book, but it was hollow, because it lacked a certain element that the book had. As a critic put it, though I usually disagree with them, "...all fabric and no flesh..."

It was a beautiful movie though, and it was pretty much as good as it could possibly be trying to match the book, except if the English was a bit better.

Gong Li and Michelle Yeoh were more of the stars than Zhang Ziyi in my opinion, because of her awkward English and lack of lines from the book, she sounded a bit dumbed down. I liked Sayuri in the book because she was a bit witty, but in the movie, she was just... there, sort of. Gong Li was amazing though, she was beautiful and poisonous as she was supposed to be in the book. Infact, I think she had more character in the movie than in the book at some parts.

~SapphireStar~
01-10-2006, 02:50 AM
Yeah, Gong Li asked Zhang Ziyi if she could "hate her heart" for the movie and Ziyi agreed and claimed Li was a brilliant actress cause she slapped her very hard in the film!

Marshall Banana
01-12-2006, 04:43 PM
I finally saw this last night. It was fairly good. I didn't really have high expectations for it after seeing the trailer, so I wasn't too disappointed.

But the English was so irritating, and I feel like I would've been confused by some of the dialogue, as well as how the movie played out, if I hadn't read the book. The movie would've been ten times better if only it were purely Japanese. The characters did mix Japanese words with English quite often, but that seemed worse. A friend saw it with me and she couldn't even pick out many of the characters' names after the movie.

Aside from that, it was lovely, especially the scene between Sayuri and the Chairman at the end.

And Ken Watanabe was perfect as the Chairman. <3

xX.Silver.Wings.Xx
06-26-2006, 06:24 PM
Absolutely stunning.. it's the best film I've seen in a long time... a definate 10 out of 10.

Resha
06-26-2006, 06:50 PM
I disliked the book strongly i.e. very much so I didn't watch the movie.

starseeker
06-26-2006, 07:48 PM
The book was too sweet. I remember discussing it in my Japanese class, cool way to waste 10 minutes.